Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland -- Snow Reports -- 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
haggishunter wrote:
@kitenski, I suspect lower down has got scoured quite a bit since Sunday afternoon, look at the angle of the T-bars and the Gondola never opened at all today.

Of course if there was the will to open, some thoughts of snow management, groomers would have been out to try and pack down snow to reduce the potential for such scouring.

As others have mentioned, the snow arrives and CML decides to start closing mid-week. Some fairly caustic replies from usually fairly diplomatic locals fired at CML on Facebook and quickly deleted. It does seem that expecting the staff (who’s jobs are safe via the average of £2m per year public subsidy poured into CML over and above the funicular farce) to have to face the burden of paying public is an unrealistic expectation!

The mere fact how little comment is being made about the ***** shows on CairnGorm and at Nevis Range shows how effective HIE have been at burying the Scottish snowsports industry.

We went to Aviemore for 5 days in the half term. The decline of Cairngorm is a real shame as the staff were all lovely and friendly, the cafe was great but even little things like the shop and cafe closed as soon as the lifts shut, when we, as a family, and many other families, were keen to spend on hot chocolates and mementoes but everything was shut, show that the attitude to "make it work" isn't there.

I still love skiing in Scotland, I really think it is something special, but the sad demise of the Braveheart chair is indicative of the lack of desire to maintain an exciting and attractive ski experience that will keep bring the punters in. Managed decline springs to mind......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied Cairngorm Mountain on Thursday and Friday. Very little open due to high winds and not much snow, but the Ptarmigan T-bar was running and the pistes around it had very nice snow. Big walk up to get to the bottom of the M1 Poma and the descent back down to it was great at the top, but wind-scoured with lots of stones at the bottom. Not the place for your best skis. I was there for my BASI course, wouldn't have gone back for a second day if I'd just been skiing for fun. Update this morning is that the Ptarmigan is shut as the wind has changed direction, so only really M1 and Gun Barrel open.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Valkyrie, are you doing a week basi course? Have fun
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, that was the last two days of my L1 Ski. First two days were on plastic, one day at Loch Insh followed by one at Glenmore Lodge. Don’t know if I would describe it as fun, but it was an excellent bit of coaching. The trainer, Elaine, had an uncanny ability to identify faults in my skiing which at times felt a bit deflating but at least I came away with some clear ideas for improvement. And a pass! Now I just need to find somewhere to get my shadowing experience.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Valkyrie, any thoughts on the new surface at Loch Insh?

Be glad you L1 was this week, the forecast for next week is turning into a washout.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@haggishunter, Loch Insh surface was nice and smooth, no edges sticking up to catch on like you used to get at Hillend. But it’s a very slow surface, okay for skiing down on but the amount of friction meant that the rope tow was a real workout. One of the guys on my course really struggled to use it, the rope just kept slipping through his fingers. I’m told that they’ve got a sprinkler system fitted but not yet plumbed in, hopefully that should make a big difference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure I shared this before. Regular Scottish skiers will appreciate that sometimes it's worth it...

http://youtube.com/v/dRIYjOhnLWc

Full episode of The Ski Podcast on that particular week here:

http://youtube.com/v/Esd1cPExezs
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finally going a bit colder in the UK, by next weekend. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drove past both Nevis Range and Glencoe late afternoon / early evening. Nevis Range has skied 2 (or 3 if being generous) days this season. The reality is there is more snow on Aonach Mor than on Meall a’ Bhuiridh. It is as it has been most of the winter, not that Nevis Range could not be open, it is is a question of the will to open.

Glencoe has had to doze hundreds of tons of snow, used snowblowers and a serious amount of shovelling to get and keep the Rannoch Button running on the upper mountain following the gearbox failure on the Main Basin T-bar. All Nevis had to do was lower the haul rope on the Goose and spin up the Quad for access, and along with the summit there would be more runs and more vertical than Glencoe can currently muster. rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^ Nevis and Cairngorm are clearly competing for the wooden spoon in The Battle of the Non-Ski Areas... Confused

It's difficult (to put it mildly) to see any positive outcome for either of them in the long term - both appear to be in terminal decline, with no way back. Such a shame when each has offered so much in the past. I've had some great times at both.

What a contrast to the way Glencoe is run rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe webcam makes sad viewing.

I havent managed up at all this season, and unless something radical happens to temps and precipitation, that will be that...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, Cairngorm appear to have put more effort in than Nevis this year, inc adding in a tourers ski pass.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@mountainaddict, Cairngorm appear to have put more effort in than Nevis this year, inc adding in a tourers ski pass.

More effort doesnt equate to actually supporting snowsports.

Cairngorm have good coverage, but their daily line is that the skiing is only for advanced skiers/boarders, and that people need to undertake a "demanding" 30 minute walk to get to the M1 poma............and the same on the way back.

I know what you are saying, but its verging on pointless for many people.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay, I have a soft spot for Cairngorm as I learnt to ski there, but for an average, overweight punter it could well be a demanding 30min walk, I guess they are trying to be brutally honest for those use to ski in/out Alpine holidays!

But also hate what they've done getting ride of the Ciste area (had some great skiing in there) and obv the funicular debacle...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, Indeed - my formative ski years (outside of Hillend plastic) were days in Glenshee and longer trips to Cairngorm.

I had many wonderful times there with school trips.

Its horrible whats happened there and a reminder that public bodies are often awful at leading big infra projects................
ski holidays
I had a couple of days touring last week during a short break to Fort William, a morning on the Goose at Nevis and a day at Glencoe in the murk. £10 access chair uplift at Glencoe (the staff were super friendly) but £25 for the gondola ride (I think) at Nevis.

The Goose was 'crispy' - the dog looked like Bambi on ice. Glencoe was interesting. Lots of overseas visitors (Spanish) and amazingly a second day skier who'd been dragged up by his Bro. My wife didn't think too much of the new cafe but the new hotel across the road was good and not much more expensive plus an epic portion of cake....

I always enjoy my Scottish Skiing, but there is always an element of luck involved !
snow conditions
There's some snow to report again! Glencoe aiming to open the Plateau Poma, Cliffhanger Chair and Rannoch Button on Sunday and the forecast is good.
latest report
Absolutely chucking it down in Glencoe.

Snow down to the car park. Here is a picture of the dry slope behind the cafe.

latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, I’m similarly in the car park. I’ll look out for you.
snow conditions
@Ski lots, I’m in Glasgow today. I have to work on something.

Are you up tomorrow? I’m thinking of going.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, Looking like I will be up tomorrow Toofy Grin
snow report
@snowheid, I'm definitely going up. Are you on your Todd?
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, Aye, just me.
BTW I take it the gearbox for the main basin T-bar is still FUBAR? Confused
ski holidays
@snowheid, Don't know. I was last up the other week but only on the dry slope
snow conditions
snowheid wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Aye, just me.
BTW I take it the gearbox for the main basin T-bar is still FUBAR? Confused

Yep
ski holidays
Looks kind of windy tomorrow. Lifts may not be running!
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, just come off the mountain, we are in a short sabbatical from Tignes. Snow was great high up, but viz was poor. Lower down a few sharks. My ski bases look like a wild cat’s scratching post. Won’t be up tomorrow. Top poma is working but not t-bar. It was quiet today but they are still p tiny to be busy tomorrow.
snow report
Heading up the hill at Glencoe.

Green trousers, light blue jacket, white sweet helmet with Snowheads stickers on it.

Say hello
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GlasgowCyclops, I have to give it a miss today Sad but may be up at weekend.
ski holidays
@snowheid, get up early. There is a mega event on at Glencoe with parties all night etc.
ski holidays

The view , or not the view, that is the question. Happy
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, nice to see things have improved from yesterday.
snow report
Second week in April could be good, looks like snow and cold is coming. Laughing
snow conditions
@Ski lots, Im not up today but the images from Facebook look amazing.

The upper hill was lovely.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, Yes the images on the webcams looked good, apart from the queues. Nice to see the place getting some business.
latest report
Was at Cairngorm today - toured out to Stag Rocks and did Diagonal Gully. Some lovely spring snow turns down 'Numbers' to start the day but Diagonal was very heavy, sloughing snow with a lot of rocks around so quite hard work but weather was very kind so a good day out. Finished down Cas headwall which is in decent condition.

Looking up Diagonal Gully
ski holidays
Sorry for the late update, but Cairngorm on Easter Friday was bloody awesome. Only three tows running and the now usual walk up to the M1 Poma but blue skies and the whole area was weirdly quiet for a bank holiday. I think there were more tourers out than regular piste skiers. Lovely snow at the top, thin slush and gravel down at the bottom of the Gunbarrel.

ski holidays
Glencoe is pretty good too. Well, above mid-mountain anyway. Sketchy getting to the Cliffy without taking skis off. Probably worse tomorrow. Got back to 1 pole from the bottom of the Access Poma with combat skiing this evening. My son, I’ve not shrunk.
snow report
Valkyrie wrote:
Sorry for the late update, but Cairngorm on Easter Friday was bloody awesome. Only three tows running and the now usual walk up to the M1 Poma but blue skies and the whole area was weirdly quiet for a bank holiday. I think there were more tourers out than regular piste skiers. Lovely snow at the top, thin slush and gravel down at the bottom of the Gunbarrel.

Hi, a quick question about the walk. Can it be done in walking boots and then swap? Is it on snow/ rock or a mixture? Thanks. I'm going to try one last day of skiing there before season end!
snow report
@Deveron53, some people walk up in their ski boots but I’ve been walking up in approach shoes with my ski boots in my rucksack. Walk is mostly gravel with a bit of snow and ice. Could well change after this weekend’s weather.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy