Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@Thick As, dooooh getting my runs confused Sad

Was it an outside bar under a canopy, Royale ?

"It was the bar opposite the bubble at Chantemerle with the crepe and vin chaud on sale. We were sat outside under the canopy. "
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m driving to SC on Friday and my wife and I are skiing for a week then I’m taking her to the airport in Turin, meeting some mates and doing a week in Italy. Anyway - I’m planning the driving and was hoping someone with local knowledge could tell me if the most direct route (through Montgenevre / Claviere) is ever closed because of the weather? If they close it quite frequently I’ll look at a Plan B as well…
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@weathercam - sorry to hear about your troubles there. What a stress. Thanks for the tips - we'll attempt to follow them tomorrow. If we're not again sidelined by the surprisingly excellent Le Cabane restaurant which turned into a long lunchtime. Best piste-side food I've ever had! Apart from an amazing hotdog in Austria once, but I was young. And probably a bit tipsy. Tonight's fare at the Petite Chalet also blew us away - best burger and tartiflette ever, and we've had a lot. The only disappointment of the evening was the discovery that karaoke at The Sisters isn't until Thursday. Sigh. However, a lesson with the brilliant Darren Turner tomorrow will help tide me over (skiing, not singing. But you never know)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LukeRibs, no you'll be fine, very very rare that ever gets closed and the forecast is certainly not looking like too much in the way of snow.

@Sir Bitton, and you know something, whilst La Cabane is our resto of choice when/if we ever do lunch up the hill, we've never eaten in the Petite Chalet Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Great, thanks for the info. Doesn’t look like I’ll be fitting the snow chains does it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We fly out next Sat - first time in SC. I think our nearest lift is Pontillas. How are pistes holding up and any recommended routes for lovers of a cruisey blue?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pistes are great, a little icy on the lower runs to resort but nice everywhere else.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good to know conditions are pretty good as might drive over for the day tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Off piste was ok where you can find it. Did a short walk up to the old La Balme lift from the top of Vallons and back down on sunny side and it was mostly nice.
Wet snow falling in the valley now. Not sure it will come to much though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m seeing a lot of high temperatures and sun on the forecast through until 5th Feb. I’m not out until the 10th Feb but just wondering how real these forecasts are or whether that’s just much lower down and there’s still the chance of snow further up?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're also out 10th Feb, will be our first time in SC. PistePro is showing milder weather and minimal snow for the next while but at least above 2000 it won't be too warm and dipping below 0 degrees overnight. On piste at least it could be quite nice. Some fresh snow will be needed to keep things good through the school holiday period, but preferably hitting on or after 11th Feb so we get a nice smooth drive down over Col de Lauteret!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@22fluffysheep - The conditions on piste yesterday were excellent, although the higher runs and connections were closed for much of the day due to winds. I see the temperature creeping up so I imagine these are going to soften up over the next couple days in the sun. Plenty of north-facing and shady tree-lined pistes though, so hopefully it holds up for your trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can confirm that Le Petit Chalet is rather good. Tartiflette, marvellous, chips great, beef fondu, bang on. Going for a lie down ….
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Revisiting my previous post following a day of piste skiing from Chantemerle to Monetier, back across to the top of Briancon/Prorel area and the reds near the Aguilette lift (knackered!). While many pistes did soften up as the morning progressed, many of the the shady ones remained stubbornly hard with some icy patches. Sunny areas lower down were pretty soft though, so a bit of everything. The runs lower down towards Monetier were not great to be honest, as I imagine seasoned locals would have know! But the red 'Yret' from the top of the peak above the Yret lift was beautiful, bathed in sun (apart from a hard bottom 100m). Last day today for this visit, so revisiting some favourite runs and restaurants.
Wishing all those arriving for next week happy skiing - there is still a lot of snow on the mountain and it's being will looked after I think!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW this is the morning update from the Nordic XC FB

Bonjour ami(e)s fondeur(se)s !!!
Attention attention - Comme annoncé hier, les conditions sont printanières !!! Donc ne venez pas trop tôt car les pistes sont gelées ... Elles vont commencer à décailler vers 10h 10h30 !!

I'm actually heading back to the UK for a few days, for a number of reasons, lack of fresh snow being one, helping injured daughter, and seeing my Mother being the others.

That said, planning on an e-mtb ski tour this morning up towards the Granon, sunny south side above Chantmerle, just hope it doesn't become too overcast which some forecasts have.

Not too sure can make it back in time to La Cabanne where OH, daughter and friends planning on lunch.
ski holidays
What condition are the resort ski routes in at the moment? Thinking about a short tour over the weekend
snow report
@shredder touring is not super nice at the moment. The warm weather has left the snow either crusty or heavy or both. Went 900m up yesterday in search of light powder - didn't find any.
ski holidays
@wimpytwo, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead snowHead
latest report
Day off yesterday after a rather "hectic" few days at the ski-test in La Clusaz, and it wasn't just the skiing Laughing

Yesterday was enough to prompt me to go touring today as snow pack was doing the right thing on our side of the mountain at least, though I was a little concerned at how overcast & windy it might be.

But decided to tour on the South side as was not too sure about slack-country options* so it was out with the e-mtb and headed up the Granon road, and as you can see fair amount of cloud around, but you could feel temps rising, this was circa 09:15.

Did try a different way of mounting skis on pack, but not ideal, as too top-heavy and reverted back once I needed to take some layers off, after bumping into the 7e bataillon de chasseurs alpins (Grenoble), who were going to have a fun evening staying in igloos etc

Then as I rode past the truck, could see that was stuck and they were attempting to put massive snow-chains on it!

Left the bike at circa 2,000 under some trees (locked) and then headed up toward the usual peak, La Gardiole.

Going up I was reasonably confident that there would be some decent snow, that said it was very windy, and I was a little concerned that might delay the all-important melt.

The final 150m to the summit were pretty savage, with zero wind for five or so minutes and then massive knock you over gusts!

Ski down was way better than expected and pretty well decent Spring all the way, and that's the fun of the Gardiole navigating to get the best line.

Back down to the bike and it was bike all the way to Aravet as the OG dropped me off initially and took the van.

At Aravet bumped into Ben and who was just down with a Brit group who'd been doing some slack, and we compared notes and would seem that snow not quite doing it's thing on the North side, even though he was searching out Spring snow.

I'm back to the UK for a few days, as the weather outlook is not brilliant, and I can help my injured daughter return to UK, as usually I go back in Feb to see my Mother, so lots of birds with one stone as it were.

So @wimpytwo, there could be Spring snow if we get a decent freeze/melt going so you have to check the snow mid to late evening and see if it's freezing in the valley, which will happen even if temps are still showing +3, and then seek out spring snow, testing the snow as you climb to see if its starting to cook.

If you have a car then there are many more options.
latest report
Hi @Hells Bells Eh oh!

That looks fun @weathercam. I'll try touring on the south side and search for spring snow. Maybe Pic Blanc? That seems to get all the sun going.

I'll add La Gardiole to the to do list too.
snow conditions
@wimpytwo, mmmm not looking very good, temps were still in double figures when I went out, whereas yesterday 3°.

This could be the issue for the next week or so Crying or Very sad
latest report
I’m her now. Awake at 2am after a 24 hour flight and then a drive from Milan.
So no point seeking out a guide for a day or two? Stick with piste skiing and long lunches?
latest report
Going to book for lunch at La Cabane today. Best to call or via there Facebook page?
snow conditions
@sbooker, call them up.

Temps dropped to +1 so further up the hill will be a freeze.

Should be great piste skiing.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Nice mountain you’ve got here. La Cabane delivered a great experience.
Pistes took a while to soften but are lovely up high. I’m getting used to new boots and skis so a groomer day is not such a bad thing.
ski holidays
@sbooker, I actually thought the pistes were a little softer yesterday, bit scratchy up there, even around 13:00
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
The mountaineering community in la Grave, Briançon and beyond are in shock following the sudden death of the guardienne of the refuge du Pavé, Lucie Gauthier. A Doctor of Particle Physics from Illinois University and a researcher at CERN Lucie had given it all up to become a gardienne. Winter resident in Briançon she'd recently moved her piano and scientfic books to the new buildings in anticipation of the opening this spring.

I don't know if anyone has used the Pavé. I've been past once but a long time ago. It is quite remote with a long approach in Spring. You may also have met her in Chamonix where she worked as a mid mountain guide and gardienne.

A report on the construction of the new refuge where Lucie looked after the workers (she is seen from 4m30s approx)

http://youtube.com/v/P3MYhiKFLSM
@davidof that's incredibly sad! I stayed there last summer while climbing Pic Nord des Cavalles (which is just behind Refuge du Pavé)... Lucie was an amazing host and such a radiator of positive energy... any idea what happened?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 30-01-24 14:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just keeping an eye on temps and seen it’s showing as 15 degrees on Sat in Briancon Eh oh! . Is this normal for Feb and can the snow that’s there survive that kind of a temp??

Will be interesting to hear what it’s like from anyone out the that week!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@22fluffysheep, Briançon's at 1200m so at 2000m it will be more like 7 degrees which doesn't sound quite so bad. Also bear in mind it will be much colder at night and definitely below 0 at altitude. So yes I'm sure there'll still be plenty of snow in general even if lower down things get a bit patchy

On the bright side some forecasts are predicting 50+cm new snow around the end of next week. Fingers crossed!
latest report
Snowtunes wrote:
@22fluffysheep, Briançon's at 1200m so at 2000m it will be more like 7 degrees which doesn't sound quite so bad. Also bear in mind it will be much colder at night and definitely below 0 at altitude. So yes I'm sure there'll still be plenty of snow in general even if lower down things get a bit patchy

On the bright side some forecasts are predicting 50+cm new snow around the end of next week. Fingers crossed!

Which forecasting model is that? Serre Chevalier - MeteoBlue forecasting 13c for Saturday, MeteoFrance 17c, above freezing overnigh and no precipitation.
ski holidays
PistePro and this is for 9th - 10th February. Probably that's optimistic, will have to wait and see, but hopefully we'll get at least enough to freshen things up a little.
ski holidays
Funnily PistePro now only has it as about 6cm for that weekend. I've noticed their numbers do yo-yo around a bit, but hey it's still more than none.
latest report
We're in SC this week and amazed at how good it is. Skied from Villeneuve, across
the valleys and lunched in Briancon town around midday today and pistes were outstanding. Thin coverage on one or two slopes, but still ver my skiable and there's plenty of excellent pistes still to be had.
snow conditions
Ps. It's freezing in the village every night, let alone in the mountain.
snow conditions
I’ve been skiing the area for the past four days. If anyone is skiing the mountain now and not having fun they need a pulse check. Sure it’s firm and fast but the snow cover is really good and the views are better.
I rate this hill highly. A better overall skiing experience than some of the mega resorts I’ve visited. I’ll most certainly be back.
latest report
@sbooker,

Good to hear that it's going well on the slopes. Very Happy .
ski holidays
Pistes in really good shape today, the slight overcast stopped the sun from making the slopes too mushy!
latest report
Interesting that the off piste areas in the sun didn’t soften as much as I expected though. I was hoping for some of that perfect creamy snow. I couldn’t find any.
snow conditions
Always worrying when the off-piste has a sheen to it.........
latest report
Went up towards the Galibier sector ski-touring but bailed after an hour & 350m climbing as light was so flat & a cold wind, along with clouds was not conducive to snow transforming, and loads of people up there, so many snowshoers as I presume that's to do with lack of snow elsewhere and guides taking clients up there, and many ski tourers as well.

Then later of went up the hill with a mate over from California staying in La Grave and had a look at some of the usual suspects (Spring slack country areas) and there is some potential maybe; had a good piste blast and even late afternoon pistes were in good nick.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy