Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Quick trip report after a couple of days up high. On Wednesday skinned up Ailefroide to the Glacier Blanc hut, 1,300m of ascent. V sunny, soft snow (a bit too soft in the afternoon). There was an army group staying at the hut too - maybe the same ones wWeathercam met last week?

Yesterday (Thursday) skinned up to the col du monetier (3339m). The second half was pretty hard snow: ski crampons, concentration and care. The last 80 metres to the col was boot packing with crampons, ice axe and roped up for a traverse of a steep snow slope (maybe around 60 degrees? Too steep in any case. Used slings on a few blocks to protect it).

After a short abseil on the start of the culoir (about 45 degrees, didn't fancy it), we had a lovely long ski down: 1,880 metres of descent all the way down to Monetier. Lots of snow on the glacier so didn't rope up. The snow was pretty good, considering it hasn't snowed for so long. We ended up by joining the Montagnole freeride run for the final traverse down to the village.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wimpytwo, sounds pretty hard core given the current conditions Very Happy

On the Col du Monetier skin did you climb up and ski the same route down, Le Lauzas on a map or drop down Montagnolle from the Yret chair and then skin up, or climb up towards the Dome du Monetier?

Great trip given the snowp-pack!

I spent another day hooning around the pistes, and they were in glorious condition, especially over in Monetier, drinks at Peyra Juana and then final beers at Pi Mai.

I finished at 16:00 but mate went back up and was being ushered off the BBQ deck top of Vallons at 17:00 by the pisteurs!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@weathercam: none of those, we skinned up to the col du monetier from the other side, skinning up on the west side, coming up from the glacier blanc hut. So we ended up in monetier, with our car very far away, at the barrier on the road up to Ailefroide.

Good to read all those different options in case we go back up there!

Your day sounds much more solid type 1 fun Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Planned to take the e-mtb up the Granon road today, but this time towing the OH on her skis, however yesterday from the pistes I could see that the snow on the road had melted a lot so was hoping that we might be able to drive up some of the way and how true that was.

I was followed by three car loads of Italians and that was it. I half expected to find loads of Frenchies when I returned but after saying goodbye to the Italians as they were heading for a different summit we didn't see anyone else the whole sortie, which was quite amazing given how busy Lautaret / Galibier was the other day, though I think that when word gets out it will get busy.

Snow was almost overcooked by the time we did our first line.

And by the time we arrived at the van the temp was showing 17.5!

http://youtube.com/v/GudnvEdgJ1I
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already considering SC for next season. Maybe different to this year but would there generally be any discernible difference between the equivalent of last week and the week before in terms of busyness? 18th or 25th Jan next year are the weeks I would be looking at.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Question for the locals, looking at Hotel Mont Thabor, Villeneuve with Crystal for 10th March, offer is breakfast at hotel and dinner at a local restaurant, L'Equilibre. Any feedback on either and the location?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had dinner at l'Equilibre in late December and the food was rather good, with large servings. I don't remember the menu being particularly varied, though. Burgers and some heavy mountain-ey dishes, basically - a bit ironic given the name of the restaurant, "Balance" in French.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stevew, don't know the hotel, but know L'Equilibre very well, one of our favs, it's where we do New Year's Eve!

It used to be the Frog that some on here may have known in the past, Johann the owner has been in various bars & restos over the years.

@toyah807, you really can't say either way as it depends on the snow, this season it's been busier in those weeks than you would usually expect as resorts in the Southern and Maritime Alps do not have too much snow, and similar story for Italian resorts in the Via Lattea, so we've seen many more people because of that.

And we've noticed far more weekenders as well because of the above as well.

Today went back up the Gardiole and this time was a little too early plus there was a chill breeze blowing. Took a more direct route up and did a descent off the SE flank that has oddles of potential if the snow was more classic Spring Corn, that then required a second skin up, but only 25mins or so, and then another exploratory decent taking in some new lines.

Again really warm, and walked the dogs ar 14:00 across the fields in shorts & T !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, thanks, makes sense. I will still make the enquiry with Plein Sud up the road from yourself, the price of the flights we are looking is too tempting to ignore.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@balso, @Weathercam, thanks for the info.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My first day skiing out in Serre Che for this season. I was pleasantly surprised by the pistes. Above 2000m holding up fairly well. A little hard and icy, but no more than I seem to have experienced for my last few trips to the alps in recent seasons. It's still possible to ski all the way back down to Chantmerle, although the snow is clearly suffering near the bottom.

We didn't even bother trying anything off piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was out in Puy Saint Vincent today. The pistes were lovely. Skiing in 10+ degrees which was rather pleasant. The black mogul runs were all nice and soft.

Ended the day going over the Pendine crest and skiing down col du Bal. Which I'm not sure I can call ski touring as didn't use skins at all. Just over 50m of ascent boot packing to get to the top of the Pendine crest, and a few short walking sections. Reasonable snow on the way down.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another non Serre update, but close enough. Day of chilled ski touring in Pelvoux. Got the touring ski pass, which gets you to the top + one extra top lift. Skinned up to La Blanche from the top lift. A bit under 700m of vertical, and very popular,: lots of people, lots of tracks + a couple of dogs at the top (who didn't seem to belong to anyone but were experts at begging for sandwich scraps).

Pleasant enough ski down to rejoin the empty pistes at Pelvoux. All quite tracked. Variable snow: some soft almost powder, some spring snow, some crud. The pistes had very nice snow higher up, slushy at the bottom.

Yet another day of ski touring in a t-shirt in lovely weather.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit of driving advice needed please for the Saturday coming. With the potential for a fair bit of snow especially at altitude I'm assuming the Col du Lautaret route may be closed or very difficult going so I'm erring towards driving via the Frejus tunnel. I understand there's still fair bit of climb up then down over the Col de Montgenevre so snowy roads could be encountered. We're in our own regular FWD car with all regular tyres so will be using the snow chains when required, and being from SE England I don't have much practise driving in snowy conditions, or incentive to invest in snow tyres for use once a year!

Two questions, firstly is the Frejus tunnel route really a better option in snowy weather, as the owner of our apartment has recommended?

Secondly, how likely is it we'll need to use snow chains on the climb up to Montgenevre from the Italian side given a good chunk of that climb is in tunnels? Worst case is we'll be stopping every few minutes to put chains on or remove again them as we going in and out of the tunnels - but if necessary for safety then so be it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowtunes,download the app for the road conditions to your phone (search for inforoute05). I think you can also sign up for notifications to your phone too. There will be signs as you approach Grenoble advising of any travel issues and giving a suggested alternative route. we've used the route from Vizille via Gap to get to Serre before although it is a bit of a longer trip, as the Lauteret was suddenly closed without warning and it was too late to turn back and go via Frejus. If you have chains, make sure you practice using them before you leave home. Make sure you have something to kneel on, some old gloves and a coat you don't mind getting dirty. Up the Montgenevre might be OK without chains but you might need them on the descent down into Briancon if it is really bad, although it is regularly ploughed and gritted.
Next time you change your car tyres, you might want to look at all-season ones, which can be left on the car all round if you drive out to the mountains, even if it is just once a year.
latest report
Thanks @Hells Bells. I had the inforoute5 website bookmarked but will look for the app. Already got some suitable gloves ready after leaving my hands cut and dirty after the last chain fitting trial run!
snow conditions
For those Serre Chevalier regulars, is there likely to be a considerable difference between the snow there and at other resorts included in the Galaxy pass?

I’m staying in Chantemerle from Saturday for a week and it looks like Montgenèvre for example is a better bet for snow during the early part of my stay. As such I’m considering spending Sunday there and possibly Monday at one of the others included while the weather sorts itself out. Is this something others have done when the weathers not been quite as desired, or will they all be pretty similar?
snow report
@22fluffysheep, Alpe d'HUez and Les deux-Alpes are on that GG pass, and you may not want to be crossing the Col du Lauteret to get there if the weather is bad. Sometimes it is better in Montgenvre, sometimes not.
snow conditions
I've just left Serre Chevalier and driven through Montgenevre. There looks to be roughly the same amount of snow at base level in both villages - not much, but enough to ski back down on. I wouldn't think you'd need to make a special trip elsewhere to avoid Serre Che. Up high, the slope conditions are quite good.

The forecast snow for later this week is also still appearing on the models, so I think you'll be fine. In fact, you'll probably do quite well.
snow conditions
@22fluffysheep, I personally would stay put, your journey might be a tad challenging if the Snow Gods in their wisdom see fit to deliver the goods, though the actual volumes of snow keep changing.

Though this is quite tasty if it comes good, and not the rain!

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-3006541/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/La%20Salle-les-Alpes

Once you get to Chanemerle, you might well have to keep the chains on all the way from the Italian side, but again depends on whether it's rain or snow.

Either way, there will also still be a lot of traffic on the Sunday so don't bother, just relax and go skiing, and then I'd suggest the same for Monday, then once you're more settled then you can start exploring the other resorts, but parking in those resorts will be a real pain as it's High Season.

When you're travelling down look at the webcam on our terrace and that will give you a good idea of how much snow is falling from the Friday to the Saturday, and hopefully will not be rain Sad

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

We went touring up from the Lautaret on Monday and it was rammed with cars, but as ever we found our own little play area, and snow was good but yesterday friends went up the Granon and the snow hadn't transformed.

And that's the issue it's like a whole new learning curve trying to ski spring snow at beginning of February vs March April when it comes to deducing snow transformation timings etc as it's purely down to the strength (lack of) of the Sun and it doesn't take a lot, cool breeze, hazy cloud to throw a spanner in the works
snow conditions
@Weathercam, yes, the sun's still fairly low at this time of year and any slope that's not perpendicular to it just doesn't cook off as we found......
snow report
@Weathercam, looks likely to me there'll be a bit of rain and snow at resort level but just a degree or two temperature fluctuation could make a big difference. I'm guessing that lower down conditions should get no worse than currently, and hopefully a bit better. Higher up we should do well so long as it's not too windy and with ok visibility.
latest report
@Snowtunes, agreed.
snow conditions
The potential snowmageddon has been pretty disappointing so far. Just rain lower down, and not even that much. A dusting of new snow at 2,000m. Temperatures still pretty high. We live in hope of lowering temperatures and more precipitation
snow conditions
I’m out to SC staying at Chantemerle first week of March, does anyone know if there is a ski shop by the lifts there who do service for skis, not sure I’m going to be able to get mine waxed and sharpened at home before I go. Any recommendations appreciated.
snow conditions
@jirac18, I do my own, but pretty sure one of the shops in the square by the lifts will be able to do that for you!
ski holidays
@KenX, thanks if you dm me your address I’ll pop mine round for you to do also Smile Laughing
snow conditions
@jirac18, no probs!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wimpytwo, yep been grim out there all day, some heavy rain at times, will go up at some point tomorrow to take a look, as it has to be done, but think pretty many again tomorrow.
snow report
Just heard LG is shut and Lautaret closed due to wind, hardly any wind here in Serre which is so often the case.

Currently going up into the cloud on Pointless
ski holidays
Looks like my Saturday arrivals did the right thing by turning up yesterday instead.
snow report
Powder lovely above 2,000 (but visibility a challenge outside of trees), heavy between 1700 and 2,000 and slushy wetness below 1,700.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Just heard LG is shut and Lautaret closed due to wind, hardly any wind here in Serre which is so often the case.

Currently going up into the cloud on Pointless

We’re currently on way and have been re routed via the Frejus tunnel with the Lautaret being closed. Is it likely to be the case for the day now or can it open at any point? Also does anyone know the cost for the tunnel, and what’s LG??
ski holidays
@22fluffysheep, LG = La Grave

Try looking up return fare Frejus tunnel should be online, I know recently we paid €90 but that was for a van and a 4 or 5 day return.

Lautaret will not re-open till tomorrow, just goes to show how localised the weather is because not that windy here even at similar altitude to Lautaret.

Good ski this morning and snow was surprisingly good (cold), skied lines on the steeps in the forest below Echaillon restaurant and below Cote Chevalier chair we'd not done for a while

Then back over to Frejus, by the time we left there was still loads of untracked terrain to be had

So empty up there as Col shut and most people travelling as accommodation now very much Sat to Sat in High Season.
latest report
@22fluffysheep, you can also reroute from Vizille via the Col Bayard which takes you to Gap. It is a lot slower than Fréjus though.
snow report
@22fluffysheep, it is possibly too late now, but use this link to see if you can get a discount off the Fréjus tunnel fare. https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/station/transport-venir/voiture
snow report
My legs are hurting after a lovely sunny day with lots of powder. Areas exposed to the wind had worse snow than more sheltered slopes and tree runs. A bit busier than it has been, but not as busy as i thought it would be on first day of Paris holidays+ uk half term + first sunny day after the snow.

After a bit of a cold morning the afternoon was very warm. 7 degrees at bottom of Pointillas with very soft snow
snow conditions
Just back from a fantastic week at Puy St Vincent. First 4 days it was weirdly hot but the pistes held up pretty well and then there was serious snow yesterday/Friday. Must have been 30cm+ of new snow at the top.

They did a serious job clearing the road overnight as well, taxi drive down/back to Turin at 6:30 this morning was still a bit "exciting".
snow conditions
@wimpytwo, less busy Pointless sector on a Sunday as it's Club Med transfer day so you're missing 1,000+ potential skiers!

My concerns are coming true about the futility of a new €28 million lift that then services three antiquated drags at High Season, and that's without Club Med being present on the mountain, as there were certainly a lot or breakdowns today, and kids falling off them etc

But it was a good morning, and yes I found the snow a tad wind affected as you'll see in the video Laughing

Think much of the accessible off-piste will be skied out quickly, especially as we bumped into my neighbour an ESF instructor, but more of a guide, with a group of 12 here for the week on an off-piste course, and he's know everywhere!

And a real shame about the wind, yet again, as that's going to affect a lot of potential off-piste routes, but snow still stupidly thin off-piste below 1800.

Pistes however are great all the way down into resort and softened up well late morning.

http://youtube.com/v/pRJ_tyaGpXE
ski holidays
@22fluffysheep, hope you made it ok in the end. We'd already decided to drive via Frejus so no rerouting required. For the record for anyone else that's interested, the toll is 67 euro return (within 7 days). It was pretty easy and even with a lot of snow coming down on the way over Montgenèvre, the road was clear.

We had a fairly low-key first day skiing. OH takes a couple of days to get warmed up and my 2 girls are just on their second week. They really enjoyed the green run off the Replat drag but the run back to Ratier was a bit tricky in places. I don't get the feeling many of the blue runs in this resort are exactly easy, but I'm sure they'll be fine after a few more lessons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy