Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you, yes we made it via the Frejus tunnel. Decided to get the return as I think it was only a difference of €13 than the one way. It was a lovely drive through Montgenèvre in the snow then no problems to Chantermerle from there. I think we made it at 8.15pm following our 5.45am crossing on the Eurotunnel.

The snow conditions so far have been great but are clearly going to deteriorate as the week goes on. We may try Montgenèvre on one of the warmer days here. Still trying to work our way around but have done a lot of the Chantermerle and Villeneuve slopes now, hoping we can get across to le Monêtier-les-Bains via Vallons tomorrow (the green Route Frejus that appears the normal way looked shut so not sure if possible). If so is the only way to that side taking a bus to the bottom?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot of the off piste seemed either tracked or quite crusty due to the winds. Excitedly got on the Eychauda bottom lift before it sll got tracked out - it needed a better skier than me to make beautiful tracks with the wind crust. Ditto for the Montagnole.

@22fluffysheep you can get to Monetier by taking the vallons chairlift, ski down the other side. Likewise possible to come back. The link gets closed sometimes if high winds.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@22fluffysheep, to get to Vallons chair , take the blue Fangeas piste from top of Casse du Boeuf chair, past the bottom of the Clot Gauthier chair, and along a fairly flat blue (Traverse) to the Vallons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perfect thank you, it’s not clear on the map if it links up but we’ll head there tomorrow!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@22fluffysheep, it most definitely does. I know my way around the resort. You don't need to use Frejus at all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, the confusion might be that the bit of piste from the end of Traverse through to the bottom of Vallons lift is now labelled as part of Route de Frejus and this piste is marked as closed on the interactive maps, but they obviously just mean the section down to the valley.

@22fluffysheep, we were in that area today and saw plenty of people heading that way towards the Vallons lift, although we took the Lacet piste direct to Cote Chevalier ourselves.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wimpytwo wrote:
A lot of the off piste seemed either tracked or quite crusty due to the winds. Excitedly got on the Eychauda bottom lift before it sll got tracked out - it needed a better skier than me to make beautiful tracks with the wind crust.

I had my eye on the stuff around Eychauda and Yvret too but I think the best time for it was probably Saturday and Sunday but the lifts were closed all day! Need to find some wind sheltered north slopes, might be a couple of spots left around Montier?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowtunes, that's probably it but my eyes couldnt see it on the map.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shredder wrote:
wimpytwo wrote:
A lot of the off piste seemed either tracked or quite crusty due to the winds. Excitedly got on the Eychauda bottom lift before it sll got tracked out - it needed a better skier than me to make beautiful tracks with the wind crust.

....Need to find some wind sheltered north slopes, might be a couple of spots left around Montier?......

Or elsewhere Toofy Grin

Though was a long hike to get to the good stuff, but as you'll see, well worth it Cool

http://youtube.com/v/Wkl3AiLxgyU
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
Or elsewhere Toofy Grin

Though was a long hike to get to the good stuff, but as you'll see, well worth it Cool

http://youtube.com/v/Wkl3AiLxgyU

Looks lovely... snowHead This is the Serre Chevalier thread though Razz Toofy Grin I sense that's maybe NE of Briançon Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shredder wrote:
.....Looks lovely... snowHead This is the Serre Chevalier thread though Razz Toofy Grin I sense that's maybe NE of Briançon Puzzled

Aaaaahh but as the Crow flies only 7.3km from Chez Moi, think Costin might have told you what you missed Laughing

And today, was a quite a bit further away, initially, even though the South side Les Fonts road was clear of snow cars were being turned back I think further up and a commune truck, even though it was spraying salt also said the road was closed, think this is all because of it being High Season hols and they want to limit the traffic going up as in march April you can drive up to Mur des Aittes, so turned around and went up the North side with the e-mtb and Ullr and then at the Mur I was told by the XC pisteur no bikes and even no dogs, but he relented on the Ullr - I think this is all to do with trying to keep the XC pistes in good condition as there is not a lot open lower down in the valleys.

He even said no snow-shoers either, even though there are snow-shoe routes all the way up Les Fonts, and then ironically the actual road which is one of three pistes up there had not been pisted and the people that had managed to hike up to the start either on the South side or North were on the other pistes - think this is the joy of it being High Season rolling eyes

I locked the e-mtb up behind his hut and then skied down to the plateau road just as a heli was doing an evac on the ice wall for presumably an injured ice-climber, managed to get a really good video of it.

Then it was skating along with Ullr pulling me for 2 and a bit km - and then whilst I was putting skins on to start the climb a massive coincidence with Ullr's dad Snook suddenly appeared, she explained that they had got there early before the pisteur had opened up.

I climbed up the South side in the forest but quickly abandoned as the snow had a crust on it even in the shade of the forest, and then climbed up the North side and once out of the forest it was lush Very Happy

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exceptional!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, that was up from that cabin we toured up to last season, or the one before?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I remember
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm looking for some avalanche instruction. Can someone recommend avalanche courses or instructors? Ideally those that follow a recognised curriculum like AIARE. I'm fine with rescue (i.e. not looking for practice burying and finding transceivers) but would like to learn more about reading the snow pack, planning and decision making on go/no go for various slopes. Is there anyone in the area that offers this type of instruction?
latest report
@wimpytwo, I think @Weathercam, did a course in La Grave a few years back, but I'm sure he'll be along to update.
latest report
Think yesterday had to be the hottest day of the year yet!

We ski toured up to the Gardiole and I thought it was not going to be that great, but the snow transformed as best as you could possibly hope for.

I skied one line off the flank of the Gardiole that we would usually stop a third of the way down and then traverse back to aim for "home" as it were, but it was so good that I carried on going, and then only had a 15 min skin back up.

As we sat on the terrace mid-afternoon traffic was pouring through the valley.

Think this constitutes Serre Chevalier, looking over towards the pistes after a glorious morning where we only saw two others!

Full-on vid production - climbing, views, slo-mo dog-ski action, and speedy transitions Cool

I'm back up there this morning, but exploring below The Grand Area

http://youtube.com/v/Kyy9J873_3c
latest report
Had another good ski-tour on Sunday, parking again on the Granon road at 1,950m, though this time heading towards the Crête de Cristol, just below the Grand Area, and was blissfully quiet.

OH was flying back to UK the following day (getting out of Dodge for ten days) so we went to the 1420 for a drink & tapas expecting it to be rammed and was bizarrely empty, as the team there said High Season holidays are families with kids and they don't go out so much, and that it will be far busier next week as Marseilles / Aix is on holiday, and many of the second homes here that are empty now will be occupied by them.

The other barometer is the evening gridlock on the main road below us, which was horrendous Xmas/New Year, and so far has been flowing well.

As for the forecast, it's changing all the time and all the various forecast sites are changing each run, so yes far more unsettled conditions are on the way, but the 50+cm that YR were predicting for Thurs-Sun is down to 13cm, if you look at others they are a little more optimistic, though some are now showing substantial precipitation* middle of next week.

As for the skiing I actually went up the hill yesterday and was mildly horrified at how busy it was, but that's just me, as everyone was hooning around enjoying themselves and happy to stand in a lift queue for 15mins, all I can say is thank God for +Joy.

After 90mins or so I dropped off the back heading down towards the Vallon de Chambran, I didn't expect to be able to ski all the way down but was really surprised at the levels of snow down there, and was able to ski all the way down where usually I might have a bit of a scramble.

Snow hadn't cooked too well at altitude as there was a strong cold wind blowing (Yret & Eychauda closed) but lower down was lush.

On the climb back up over the Col de Frejus snow cover was more than usual, and that was confirmed by the fact that the top of the Summer footpath sign that is often visible was hidden.

Should add that skiing down the Vallons around 14:30 lower down was a massive slush fest with big slushy moguls causing carnage for many, and then same again bottom of Le Bez.

Mid-way down the run down to the valley.

Vallons de Chambran

Lovely and sunny again this morning, not the overcast sky that was predicted by some models, though still a chill wind blowing, hopefully, will ease by the afternoon as I fancy getting the road bike out for a spin. If not, might go for a hike as have my eye on a little line this side of Monetier, and looking at a map, there's an old path, but will keep Ullr on the leash as that's where one pack of wolves is meant to be!

A friend was picking up his son in the early hours and saw a wolf crossing the road by the petrol station at 02:00 Shocked

*now get excited at precipitation, as given up on snow in the valley, but at least the rain should be snow >2,000m
ski holidays
Despite all the weather forecasts first forecasting rain in the valley and now saying it's raining in the valley, it's snowing in Salle Les Alpes at 1,400m (admittedly heavy wet snow). Tomorrow is looking like an amazing sunny powder day.
snow report
@wimpytwo, Very Happy
snow report
wimpytwo wrote:
...Despite all the weather forecasts first forecasting rain in the valley and now saying it's raining in the valley, it's snowing in Salle Les Alpes at 1,400m (admittedly heavy wet snow)....

Don't speak too soon, but it is a tad bizarre given that my thermometer is showing +2.9 and it's still snowing!

Check out the webcam on our terrace which is moving around currently

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Game plan quick shop in Briancon and then take a lift up circa Noon when less busy to take a look-ski Very Happy

Further Edit: driving down to Briancon temps dropped lower than here and was encouragingly snowing quite heavily, by the time I came out of the shop it had all changed, with almost a clearing sky in places.

Can't be bothered now to go up and take a look.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow
snow report
Raining on the terrace now and temps +4 webcams up the hill show plenty of people making the most of the conditions, not too envious Toofy Grin

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/live/webcam-live-serre-chevalier-valley-briancon
ski holidays
@Weathercam, love reading the updates.
What do you think the conditions would be like for Easter?
Serre Chevalier is on our shortlist but not booked anywhere yet
ski holidays
Very disappointed at the lack of snow this morning, and can't hear any blasting going on either, just hope we don't have to wait at the lift while they carry it out?

Will report back as to what it's like up there and @Boarderfarce, will answer your question then in more detail, as for now first lifts (08:30) beckon.
ski holidays
Excellent.. Enjoy
snow report
Well as expected, get to CDB to find out that they are not opening until 09:00 for Avy Control, this is now getting a new frustrating scenario, and made all the more worse by hearing no blasting until 08:00 or so, in ye olde days I'd be woken up at around 06:30 by the blasting, and that always signalled a good morning might be on the cards.

I think it might just be new working practices etc etc, plus it wasn't as if there was substantial snow-fall up there, 30 at best, though more often it was 15 or so.

Saw Eychuada drag start up and we thought game on, only for a group of ten pisteurs, one of whom I know well, to rip the slope up for 30mins, and no they were not testing the suspect areas, so that added salt to the wound Twisted Evil

For Eychauda they should only allow people with Avy gear etc to go up there for the first couple of hours after opening.

That said we had a great morning skiing untracked every run just staying that bit ahead of everyone else, and I finished the sesh up with one little skin.

So some pics, friend sent this one through as we were up the hill at 11:00, thank God for +Joy

Saw a lot of people searching for skis this morning, but this was slightly OTT

Little hikette

Then afterwards I skinned further up, and with views of where I might go down again tomorrow

Then I come in sort of left of picture climbing up behind that ridge, and that's how I left it at around 12:30 still plenty of skiing to be had, but reckon that will be gone by end of play today.

@Boarderfarce, so yes Easter is only end of March and I sincerely hope conditions are similar to what we have now. For sure pistes are slushy in the afternoon, but it will not be anywhere near as busy as it is now and for the next two weeks.

Forecast still keeps promising, back to the tea leaves then Laughing
snow report
Post HT La Plagne I look at that lift queue and it seems perfectly fine...
ski holidays
One of best days of powder this season (so far!)

I did a 7am start skinning up Tabouc and a bit more through the forests down from cibout, for some earned turns on the fresh powder.

Rest of the day around the Cibout/Tabouc area. There is still some untracked stuff in the forest higher up, but not huge amounts. Some in the lower forest too, but the ratio of powder to roots and rocks is suboptimal below around 1,800m.

As the base is so hard, i found anything over 35 degrees was skiing in a soft, fluffy slide. Pausing every so often to avoid it getting bigger (ir getting out if the way. Or both).

More tomorrow, legs willing after today.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wimpytwo, have sent you a PM
latest report
Mmmmmm YR.No got it wrong for today, as they did have periods of sunshine etc but it's lightly snowing, the snow equivalent of drizzle with low cloud in the valley.

And then if the forecast can be believed/trusted snowing nigh on every day next week!

PACA on holiday from today so everyone expects it to be much busier as many of the second homeowners* come from that region, and then combine that with the normal High Season Hordes.

Maybe 1420 later for the rugby.

*My peace and the dogs will be broken as new neighbours will be here along with all their kids
ski holidays
@weathercam yes, visibility was much worse than forecast in the morning. It improved from about 11am until 2pm, when it went back to white and flat light.

Spent the day going up and down yret, which hadn't opened yesterday so lots of powder to be had. Very quiet on the slopes today. I guess that will change tomorrow, judging by how busy the village was looking.

I hadn't realised monetier opens 8:30am, a whole half hour before Pointillas. Might head there next time i want to do laps on yret / cibouit to not have to wait until 9:20 for Vallons to open.
snow conditions
@wimpytwo, I think it is only 8.30 until the end of the holiday period. So another 2 weeks.
snow report
@wimpytwo, yes they seem to be keeping it more of a secret this season Laughing

Basically a number of lifts open at 08:30 in various sectors for the holidays, Bachas, Casse, Ratier but then nothing else opens until later, though maybe La Foret ?

So all in all it's pretty useless as all you can do is ski back down, if you stuck skins on and climbed up by the time you got to the top the lifts would have opened, so it's all a bit of a bollox.

In the end today I actually took a mate up introducing him to ski-touring, as I suspected we might be lucky and get some breaks in the cloud, I call this "Stealth Skiing" - this was around 13:30 , we did a couple of laps getting him used to the skis n'boots and then almost decided to quite as the cloud kept rolling in and was quite dense.

Then it looked as if it might the clearing so I took him on a small descent off the back and it was feckin superb!

I had to put the breaks on though as I wanted to know if all his gear for skinning back up was good to go, plus needed to enforce various back-country protocols, so it was a transition and then climb back up to then repeat the descent a little bit further as I was happy with things, though again had to be sensible given that the weather was a tad unsettled and it was getting towards late afternoon.

But my mate who has been skiing for well over 30 years and is an accomplished piste skier was totally blown away by the experience and said best ever time in the mountains he's ever had etc etc and I have to say the conditions were pretty damn awesome, and I don't use that superlative that often!

Trying those all important kick-turns

And one hell of a sky, and that's the pistes of PSV in the distance, right of picture.

ski holidays
Off to Serre Chevalier on Saturday, first time to this resort staying in Chantemerle. I’ve really enjoyed looking at this thread and some excellent reports and images. Snow looks like it will be plenty good enough for us as we’re predominantly piste skiers but will venture off the edges and in between a bit.
I’m after recommendation for mountain huts/restaurants, if there’s one definitely not to miss for lunch etc. Many thanks in advance
snow conditions
@jirac18, Chez Dam's at Peyra Juana, good hearty food and huge portions although I think its got a bit expensive recently. Plenty more across the area too. On Rochamout piste just above Le Monetier
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
Off to Serre Chevalier on Saturday, first time to this resort staying in Chantemerle. I’ve really enjoyed looking at this thread and some excellent reports and images. Snow looks like it will be plenty good enough for us as we’re predominantly piste skiers but will venture off the edges and in between a bit.
I’m after recommendation for mountain huts/restaurants, if there’s one definitely not to miss for lunch etc. Many thanks in advance

Chalet de Serre Blanc as you start heading over to Briancon from Chantemerle for the view alone is definitely worth a beer stop.
snow report
The forecast was for it to cloud over mid-morning so it was a case of first lifts to be sure to get the sunshine for the descent and then wasn't too bothered should it then cloud over for the climb.

And every picture/video tells a story Very Happy

Tracks to the right at the start were ours from yesterday's couple of mini climbs.

http://youtube.com/v/fpfy-suxcXU

@jirac18, yes Chalet de Serre Blanc for the view, Peyra Juana is great inside on a snowy-day out of High Season, La Cabanne at the Aravet is great, and then Pi Mai lovely but expensive along with the White at Ratier.

The cheapest along with good food is Chalet de Lac on the terrace by the lake next to Pointillas lift (Pointless) and it was good to see this morning that the Mea drag now opens at 09:20.

Light snow now starting to fall, so fingers crossed, and wait and see what we have on the terrace in the morning where our WebCam is panning around.

latest report
08:30 and just measured 20cm on the table, snow very lightly falling and that's forecast to continue most of the day.

As yet have not heard any blasting from Avy control so not too sure when lifts will open, but this is the start of one of the busiest weeks of the year so imagine there will be fun n'games for the many trying to get their kids to ski school on time, and then when will the lifts, and which lifts will actually open?

Webcam panning around the terrace, now just need to dig some paths for the dogs Very Happy

latest report
40cm of powder, amazing skiing. Had so much fun skiing trees. Though with so much powder you needed steep if you wanted to make turns. And steep stuff was prone to sliding.

The ski area was weirdly quiet. I guess piste conditions were not very family friendly. Pretty much all pistes turned into mogul fields, and there were families struggling on the home runs.

More fab skiing to be had tomorrow, though i expect it will be much busier.

Hopefully some more fresh powder ready for Wednesday morning. Not really sure when the legs will get a break this week.
snow report
Well as feared the snow on this side of the valley has not hung around too long and has melted fast.

Even though I did clear the terrace this morning it's quite astonishing how it's gone, and the roads are all clear, really just like the end of March/April after a snow fall.

I couldn't face the vagaries of lifts not opening and opted for a tour with Ullr from Boussardes going at Noon as I hoped that someone might have broken trail and put a skin track in and that plan worked out perfectly Very Happy

We were joined by what looked like a Patou for around the first ten minutes then he headed back.

Snow was very nice the higher I climbed, but I knew it would be almost too much for Ullr, and we struck lucky with the weather as it cleared and we had glimpses of blue sky and sunshine.

We came back down skiing alongside some other tracks so it was easier for him and then he seemed to get the hang of it more and was not too far behind apart from on the traverses through the forest to get to the next open glade.

A good sortie!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy