Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Snow didn't really start till around 04:30 and currently as at 07:30 it's coming down well, however, most models have it stopping circa 11:00 and at best another 10cm in the valley and probably 15 up top.

Just heard some blasting happening so must be more up the hill or wind overnight?

I'm on the second day of an avalanche / ski-touring course , so again as it's risk 4 today we'll be planning on less exposed routes to say the least!

So I expect some of the top lifts (Yret) will stay closed for a couple of days whilst conditions stabilise.

Yesterday up near Le Laus we'd dug a snow pit at 2,000 and was 2m 20 deep!

And heard a bit of major news yesterday from the Guide, in that Club Med is now closed for the rest of the season to continue with refurbishment Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Newbie here hoping for some advice please !

Looking at 4 Jan - 11 Jan 2025 at SC; from earlier in this thread it appears that crowds should be mostly gone by then, and snow (as much as anyone can predict) might be ok ?

2 adults, 2 kids (will be 11 and 13). All ski novices, but we all had a week of ski lessons in Japan this Jan and the kids are now much better than the adults wink

We are looking for recommendations
- ideally catered chalet with separate bedroom for kids; somewhere very short ski-boot walking distance to lifts, or ski in/ski out
- good English lessons for us (we split up this Jan, but at this point I think we could all be in one group)

Any suggestions much appreciated !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@grrr, welcome to snowHead. Lessons may depend on which village you choose. Good lessons from Gavin Crosby at NewGen Serre Chevalier who is based in Monetier. You would need to hire him as private lessons for 4 of you I think though. Group lessons might not work so well if you all want to be together as 11 year old would still be in kids groups.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ecrins webcams show it snowing moderately to heavily at all levels including Briancon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a few flakes coming down now in Monetier and cloud is lifting. I' ve stayed in this morning as I hate poor visibility and I've got sore throat and headache. Might walk dogs to Halte for a quick lunch.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
@grrr, welcome to snowHead. Lessons may depend on which village you choose. Good lessons from Gavin Crosby at NewGen Serre Chevalier who is based in Monetier.

Thanks for this. Any suggestions for accomodation close to lifts ? now looking at hotels as the first quote I got for a catered chalet was out of my budget Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@grrr, most of accommodation close to lifts in Monetier is self-catered. Chantemerle is probably better for hotels. Plein Sud , Grand Hotel are the larger ones but theres some chambre d'hotes as well if you want a more cosy experience. Names escape me but tourist office website would be a good place to start.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grrr, A recommendation for Plein Sud in Chantmerle. Been there twice and should be there right now if I hadn’t returned from Austria in January with a #humerus Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should imagine that there are some very happy SH's in Serre Che now, as today was right up there with some of the best days!

After quite an arduous weekend I was quite relaxed about this morning, especially as I thought it might be overcast, but amazing how a Bluebird day can motivate you.

Yesterday on Day 2 of the course it was quite challenging with many a kick-turn in the forest but we were rewarded with some excellent tree skiing, especially as the weather brightened up a little.

This morning's plan was to drop off the back but conditions were so good we made do with the lifts, then some little hikes and finally three mini skins to score some great untracked with no-one else around.

Exhibit A Cool

http://youtube.com/v/inlZc8pDPYA

Now off to watch Dune 2 VO in Briancon
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, what a difference in 24hrs!

Knew the wind would have affected the snow on the more open aspects, but I was hoping that get the aspect right and there would be good snow to ski, so we I had a couple of options as we set off.

Have to say the piste skiing was superb and everywhere so empty as we made our way over the Eychauda hoping that would be open, and it was.

At the top I then went and had a look at the potential of one route towards Chambran via Col de la Pisse, but that had a severe crust on it, then came back and said to the OH that I was going to ski another line this time a route that would take us towards Les Combes, and that I'd ski ten turns or so and if it was too bad I'd skin back up, and initially it was not too bad, so said to the OH, (via the Cardo Comms, which is brilliant in scenarios like this), to ski down, and I was also hoping that the snow would be better lower down, but alas no.

That said she did an excellent job of skiing a very steep technical (crust) line* to get out of jail Laughing

Once towards the bottom of the Vallon you could see the change in the snow to a colder wind-blown snow, and we skied that a fair way, then I knew we'd have to ski more crust to get to the final North facing snow along the edge of the forest, and we both took some spills with me going right over the handlebars!

The cold snow along the forest was really good in places, and skiing between the pillows was great fun, though they did catch the OH out. I did suggest putting the skins on to climb the cold snow in the forest for another descent but that didn't go down too well Laughing

But I'm tempted to go back there, that said the potential for good Spring snow descents in a few days and hopefully for the rest of the season is truly immense.

We then climbed back up to where the old Rocher Blanc chair once was, and then skied back to the Prorel mid-station which was rather sketchy towards the bottom.

* we skied the ridge line above center of image to lookers left

On the roof of a half-buried hut by Lac des Partias

Elaine midst pillow attack Laughing

So not 100% super skiing, but up there as a 100% adventure Very Happy

And skiing back on the pistes from top of Prorel again was great.

So local Meteo Alpes Durance outlook....

Ce mardi 12 Mars marque dont la fin de la série exceptionnelle des intempéries depuis 1 mois dans le Sud-Est de la France. L'anticyclone revient peu à peu et les températures seront parfaitement de saison aujourd'hui et s'envoleront demain mercredi 3 à 4° au dessus des moyennes de saison l'après-midi.
C'est donc bien le Printemps qui arrive!

Basically, that's it for the recent spell of Winter as High Pressure establishes itself and a return to Spring with temps above average tomorrow.
Still cold snow to be found on North facing slopes at altitude though!

So think a chill day tomorrow as legs are feeling it and then Spring touring Thursday onwards Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski touring up to Chamberton today, a 3131m high peak on the Montgenevre side. The ascent was all on windswept snow, the descent much better than hoped for, with increasing amounts of spring snow.

I did meet one rock on the descent, and one of my skis is now to be retired, most unfortunately. If anyone happens to have/need just one volkl rise beyond 96 in 184cm... Get in touch! Unlikely I know.

As Weathercam says, it's all going to be about spring snow for the foreseeable. Should be quite lovely.

Only
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick update....

Yesterday day offski and went up the Granon Road to walk the dogs and suss what access was like and where the snowline was.

Temps in the afternoon on the terrace were nudging 20's in the sun and only just hit zero in the early hours.

We ski toured up to the Gardiole which was circa 900m though I dropped off the back to ski another line so bagged another 100 or so. We had a mate with us who was on his first tour, a very good piste skier but this was all new to him, and he did really well, though the Gardiole as a tour is quite forgiving on the up, though still nigh on 3hrs.

The ski down was a wee bit challenging and I wished I'd been on my fatter skis or even a snow-board as the snow was over-cooked and very soft in places and then just as I was ramping up the speed and letting it go thinking I was on sublime corn, out of nowhere I hit what I could only describe as a trapdoor of crust as the whole lot gave way with a large hole and debris and the resulting wipeout saw me sliding down followed by the trap door of a block of thick crust with the soft corn on top rolling eyes

What was interesting was at the summit I've never seen so much snow nearly covering the rock shelter up there, plus it was horrendously busy with two other skiers Laughing

And then some other friends had a slightly more relaxing day walking up to the Refuge Napoleon and then having a fun sledge back down, but again I've never seen that much snow up there!

So issue is that temps overnight into the early hours might not be cold enough for the all-important freeze?

I might take a look a little earlier tomorrow off the back towards Chambran as I can always turn around if the descent is not brilliant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
.....I might take a look a little earlier tomorrow off the back towards Chambran as I can always turn around if the descent is not brilliant......

Well there was no need to turn around, and it was gorgeous all the way Cool

I went over at 11:00, so an hour earlier than normal as there was not an intense overnight freeze; as the first section is S facing I had that lovely sound as the sugar snow crystals followed me down.

Then the last third which is often combat skiing over gulleys/torrents now has more snow than I've ever seen and was very skiable, however as it's West facing snow was hard, so game plan this morning is ski the top section at the same time as conditions are similar to yesterday and then have a picnic above the West facing section hoping the snow will transform a little more.

We then skin back up arriving at the Cucumelle chair traversing above the lake, and I was top of Vallons at 13:00 and twas a slush fest ski all the way down!

We were in the Plein Sud last night and there were some very red people in there who have enjoyed this past week, though enjoying rather long lunches hence the red faces Laughing

Mind you I can't talk my arms are quite red from climbing in a T-Shirt.

I come in top left of picture, ski a line down and then traverse the gulley and ski that spine in the center, though as you can see so many other options Toofy Grin

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well don't know why, and I checked if there was an Italian holiday on Friday, and they were making a long weekend of it, but yesterday Pointless car-park was rammed by 10:30 and we had to park elsewhere, wasn't even that busy at High Season! And yes many Italians as well as French from all over the place looking at the number plates.

Are we back to Saturdays being busy as the holidays are over and people doing long weekends again?

Though some good news, heard that Club Med which is shut now, will be shut next winter as well, due to the massive upgrade that they are doing taking it from 3 Tridents to 4.

So yesterday again another gorgeous day, and even though the car-park was busy we arrived out of the lift and the plateau was empty with hardly anyone taking the drags.

We had the most wondrous of descents off the back (more about that here) and really does make you appreciate how blessed we are here in Serre Che because I'm sure if we'd been anywhere else there would have been many more tracks in that sector, as it was the only traces of tracks were mine from the day before!

We were an hour or so later than the day before and the ski down the Vallons was almost enjoyable in the soft snow on the piste and the moguls too lower down, maybe I've just adapted my technique? In fact the whole ski down to Chalet de Lac behind Pointless was good and we had a damn good lunch.

Today is overcast and think that knackers our plan, unless it clears in the next couple of hours, though I'm sure my legs won't mind a day offski, and looks dank tomorrow.

This is the video of yesterday, and shows how great Spring Snow is, and the friend with us, a good fit piste skier was only on his second ever ski-tour!

http://youtube.com/v/io9A3m9gZ6g

Edit to above
So plan one was to go off the back of Yret down to Chambran, but binned that due to the weather.
Plan two was then to walk to the wine fair at Chantmerle but binned that as though Ullr needed a good thrash.
So just executed Plan 3, dropped van off at Monetier, booked table for lunch at Sno, E-Mtb beasting Ullr back to home, then we'll walk back up to Sno with all the dogs for lunch and van home, nothing like a plan!

Many people out walking along the valley!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, lots of Italians up here today, apparently as snow is not so good in their usual destinations. Sci Club Grugliasco in town today.
snow report
@Hells Bells, yes saw four coach loads of Italian ski club up there.

And main reason(s) they're all here, having now spoken to my neighbours, and there was no Italian holiday, it's because the past three weekends there's been a Retour D'Est (bad weather), when there was loads of snow and rain across Piemonte, and that was when my mate had a mare driving to Turin three Sunday's ago, but then add into the mix the potential weekend high season holiday transfer jams and people just didn't want to chance coming up for the day.

So for this weekend with such a good forecast, and it's all pretty obvious really Toofy Grin

Still crazy amounts of snow in Via Lattea (picture above at the Izoard) and neighbours said Montgenevre / Claviere was rammed, hence they left an hour or so ago in an attempt to miss the worst of it.
snow report
Hi All.

Great thread…lots of local experts here; I’m learning loads!

Arrive for first time ever in Serre Che on Sunday afternoon for a week-after 10 year skiing hiatus. I’m watching the emerging forecast with keen interest and fingers crossed. Staying in Villeneuve, 2 adult intermediates plus 2 teenager beginners (they booked for 5 days in morning ski school).

How would you recommend we make the best of current/expected conditions? I see interesting comments here about using runs to the valley during the morning to take advantage of low-trafficked runs while others are skiiing high? It’s that type of local knowledge I’m chasing!

Also any recommendations for days out linking lifts and areas together given current snow conditions at this time of season? (Food locations also welcome; I’ve already made note of a few from earlier posts)

(PS chase me to another forum if I’m in the wrong place; new to SnowHeads so finding my way.)
Thanks, RMF
snow report
Welcome RMF. This is the right forum Smile

In terms of general recommendations, I'd suggest staying high at the beginning. With the good weather the pistes up high are good, but very slushy lower down. From Villeneuve you could, for example, go up and down on the Pointillas bubble and ski all day above 1,800m without having to ski down to village level.

Ask again when you arrive though, as conditions and recommendations might change. It's meant to be getting colder from the weekend, which might make more pistes good quality for longer. With current high temperatures, the best skiing is between 10am and 1pm (pistes are a bit harder first thing in the morning, and they start to get a bit too soft as the afternoon advances).

We might also get some more new snow mid/late next week. Too early to say with any certainty though.

Others will be more helpful than me for food recommendations - I'm partial to a packed lunch.
latest report
Thanks for info @Wimpytwo. And good to know I’m in the right place; hopefully we will be next week too…!
snow conditions
We’re off to Serre Chevalier on Sunday too, should I be panicking when it says it’s raining on the snow report. My teenagers will blame me if the snow is no good rolling eyes
latest report
@Arwenny, don't panic. You are not responsible for the weather. Stay high, have a late lunch and finish early if necessary. Lower slopes were very soft by 3 today but still very skiable.
snow report
Definitely looks like a potential change in the weather, and I would say for the best, as @wimpytwo, says, you could well end up skiing for longer without having to endure the slush fest back to the valley floor.

That said today we skied back down to Monetier and I'd really recommend that over maybe skiing back to Villeneuve / Chantmerle as the pistes were not full of slushy moguls, and top tip is ski close to the trees on your right as they keep the sun of the piste that much more.

Only issue would be that if you don't have a car you'd have to pay to take the bus back.

And currently looks like maybe some fresh snow on Tuesday.

And it's the Serre Che Grand Prix this weekend with the main event on Saturday so it will be very busy I'd imagine.

This morning we dropped off the back again (different route to yesterday) and had another glorious descent down to Chambran, that's four sorties down to there in under a week, and probably again tomorrow Very Happy

snow conditions
Thanks for the tips we’re staying in the Plein Sud hotel and getting very excited to see all these places I’ve been reading about on this thread, although I don’t suppose we’ll see any of the magical off piste stuff that you do. Does skinning mean walking up hill on skis….i find just lifting my legs to walk in ski boots is a workout.
snow report
Good three or four degrees warmer this morning and even though we left a wee bit earlier snow was way softer on the same route again, so soft in fact that we bailed 2/3rds of the route down as it was getting unpleasant to ski with the skis sinking nigh on 10cm through, unlike yesterday where it was 3-5.

After we climbed back up we again skied down to Monetier, this time right over to skiers right on the Chaume piste, and that was still in great condition at 13:00'ish.

Though skis were very sluggish in places, so went to wax them on my return to find my neighbour (a Monetier instructor) in his garage doing the same, though we both joked how it looks like a return to winter next week!

And, it's certainly going to be interesting to see how things pan out from the weekend onwards. .

Though as ever it's changing every time you look at the forecast, though Saturday, Grand Prix day is looking sunny but a threat of strong winds, which might affect which lifts will be open for the event, and how finishers will get back from Monetier?

A daughter arrives tonight and was looking forward to sunshine after the rain and grim conditions back in the UK, and a big challenge to get her confidence and her foot "back" in a ski-boot as she's still in some pain after her mishap six or so weeks ago, so healthy dollop of Rule Number 5 will be needed.
latest report
Piste skiing yesterday with daughter who was back on skis and finding a fair bit of discomfort still with her foot in a boot, but did get better.

Back here for lunch then we went back up to see an old Geezonaire band that had got together for a gig at Cafe Soleil which was a bit like the old days at the Grotte with Clive and the Harper Bros, sitting in the sun and was a good atmos with happy hour at 15:30 for those coming out for next week!

We left at 16:30 and twas bizarre as we were the only ones skiing it seemed, place was empty though ironically I was nearly taken out by a Ski Solutions Instructor who was hooning around with other instructors we then all had a bit of an amusing thrash back down, getting back to the van at nigh on 17:00 haven't been that late off the hill for ages!

So GrandPrix today and earlier rain now cleared and it's not too windy* so should be a good day for it, though I see that this year they are not using Yret chair and Jacksons as part of the course.

But really now all eyes are naturally focusing on the weather for next week and some of the numbers are quite staggering (image below) from Tuesday onwards, but still too far out to be sure.

Further Edit: wind's now kicked in and maybe just as well they're not using Yret.

snow report
Hatched a plan last night with a mate who I thought might be up for a quick skin / dog-walk up the piste before the lifts opened, and just maybe there might be a cm or two of fresh, and that was pretty well the case.

However, as we climbed the snow really started to come down and we had a surprisingly good ski down and that was not quite the forecast;and even as I type this it's lightly snowing when the radar are showing nothing rolling eyes

So nigh on all the forecasts are showing very unsettled weather, though actual accumulations differ a lot, and no sign of any sunshine for the next ten days just pretty well snow/rain every day almost!

Mate loved it as that was a first for him, ski-touring with his dog and ripping nigh on 5cms of fresh Toofy Grin

Only issue is that I can see him wanting to go even earlier to get a better ski!

latest report
So we’re here, and loving it. Snow falling all day giving nice on-piste powder experiences for our 14yr old beginner. (There’s a chance this may set expectations too high for him for future skiing adventures!).

Question and tip-request; we got a small bit caught out yesterday by Frejus being closed when we had factored it in as a green back home. Where should we be looking to see that info re: piste closures, and before we get to a ‘Ferme’ barrier on-slope? (Aravet had it at bubble so that was ok).

We’re looking forward to tomorrow given tonights snow forecast. (Hopefully we’ll have more visibility up above!)

And re: tips…what are recommendations for food in Villeneuve?
snow conditions
rmfealy wrote:
So we’re here, and loving it. Snow falling all day giving nice on-piste powder experiences for our 14yr old beginner. (There’s a chance this may set expectations too high for him for future skiing adventures!).

Question and tip-request; we got a small bit caught out yesterday by Frejus being closed when we had factored it in as a green back home. Where should we be looking to see that info re: piste closures, and before we get to a ‘Ferme’ barrier on-slope? (Aravet had it at bubble so that was ok).

We’re looking forward to tomorrow given tonights snow forecast. (Hopefully we’ll have more visibility up above!)

And re: tips…what are recommendations for food in Villeneuve?

Re: Food - I can highly rate L'Equilibre close to the main shopping centre in Villeneuve. We eat there every night as our Crystal hotel (Hotel Mont Thabor) just offers breakfast, with the dinner half board option being the 3 course plat du jour menu. It is smashing food and we're delighted to eat there every day. Steaks look amazing and the wine menu is incroyable. 1 litre of Vin du Maison is 20 EU. You can't be bad to that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And Re: Piste closures, the interactive map on the Serre Chevalier app will place a red dot against all closed pistes in real time so you can check things out and not get caught out. We chose to download on the new Pontillas gondola to avoid any piste disasters. Yesterday we downloaded on L'Aravet with the same thought in mind.
latest report
Other restaurants to consider....

La Marotte, consistently good reviews and locals fav resto

La Pastorale good steaks

Le Chalet du Lac lunch only just next to Pointillas reasonably priced food though this week will have to book for the inside as very small

And Le Snow

All the above we eat at.

Certainly going to be interesting to see how much snow we have in the morning if this keeps going, but very much stop start.
snow conditions
Difficult to say how much we actually received on our terrace in the latest "episode" as it was consolidating so quickly.

First lifts this morning, CDB with @KenX, and was looking great until we started skiing it down from 2,200 and it quickly became apparent it was going to be on the heavy side and for the snow-boarding posse they all more or less had to straight-line it.

We then went higher from Clot Gauthier and twas a little better in places, and as we headed off towards the Army piste we passed one snow-boarder stuck on the flat up to his waist.

Twas strange though as the air-temp was freezing and yet the snow was so heavy.

Vizibility did improve but the snow did not, that said once they bash it going to be great on-piste.

We persevered for most of the morning but was hard work.

Outlook is still very unsettled, though think that's an under statement Laughing
ski holidays
As Weathercam says, very hard work skiing today. With around 50cm of heavy powder, the only places you could make turns off piste were steeps. And with 50cm of heavy powder there were avalanche slides all over the mountain. Saw quite a few ski triggered ones today.

Don't think my legs have been this tired from skiing in resort all season!

Best bit of skiing i found today was under the Cucumelle lift for the hour or so where there was visibility - I only went once there were enough tracks on the slope. Would not have been brave enough to make fresh tracks today, too much stuff sliding.

More tomorrow, with the avalanche risk remaining at 4 it will be another day of resort skiing. Stay safe out there!
snow conditions
We had a fun morning in Monetier - but agree with the comments about it being heavy. I had some good runs off the drag finding untouched spots. The piste bashers were out earlier, walking back from dinner just now the sky is fairly clear. Fingers crossed for at least a clear morning as the pistes will be superb if no snow falls on them after being bashed.
ski holidays
A lot of Serre closed today due to the high winds at altitude and runs low down are rather challenging to ski.

They've also been doing a lot of blasting and one slide has gone right across Sellettes piste, I'll post photo later.

Was a good strategy going full Alpine mode with my heaviest skis (BlackCrows Atris with F10 Frame bindings) to smash through the velcro along with my downhill boots to absorb some of the shock heading up my legs through to the knees Laughing
latest report
Some of the deepest snow (350cm at the top) that we have seen in over 30 years at PSV at this time of year and another 50 cm forecast for Sunday. I would guess that it’s going to be an epic touring season.
latest report
Been a varied week but we’re happy to be here and to have snow in our lives!

My grand plans to try and have the last two days as nice, big, linking days from Villeneuve-Briancon-Metier have been completely dashed by the wind today. With possibility of more of the same tomorrow, any recommendations for possible on piste-based itineraries to make the best of our last day?
snow report
@rmfealy, doesn't look too be too windy, so hopefully you'll be ok.

If the links are closed and you have no transport you could always get the bus up to Monetier and ask for a return "allez/ retour" and ski there for the morning.

And that orange tinge to the sky is Saharan sand!

Meant to be getting a lot of precipitation over the next three days.

And still a lot of blasting going on.
ski holidays
Was a great morning considering was I not too sure, especially with losing an hour in bed if first lifts were to be had!

And at 08:15 it was minging but slowly the rain turned to sleet as the temp dropped and as I went up on Pointless it was puking as I exchanged messages with @KenX who had slept in Laughing

As you can see (just about) I was first up the Mea and snow was very good and the viz improved, so a couple more runs and then down to Frejus and I was surprised to see the Crete running and that was then my playground for quite a while, skiing lines through the trees along with the Cabanne piste and trees lower down until @KenX showed up.

Mea drag

Crete drag

Then with Ken a few more Cretes and we did one descent down to Cote Chevalier but twas heavy lower down, and then skied down to Gauthier and the piste was tracked out and lumpy and hard going and then up the Gauthier.

And from the chair we saw a few episodes of lost skis and people skiing lines that could be deemed to be a tad irresponsible with no back-packs/arva gear, but that's one area they do control a lot before they open.

The line we took had me looking back up at a line that in all the years I'd not skied before, so next time we went in that direction, and I was being a tad cautious as I too was not tooled up (call me irresponsible) as I was not expecting the lift to open, and the snow under the skis was weak and slabby so I skied a spine down which was the safest option, and then stopped by a gulley to assess the line commenting to Ken how the snow was a little delicate and required respect.

With that could see two guys appearing who I'd clocked at the lift as they came in the side rather than through the gates, one of them, a snowboarder (teens) had a Sestrierre Ski Club badge whilst the guy with him looked/acted like an instructor, and again neither tooled-up, so I let them drop in first, or rather the snowboarder went first and set off the slide that I thought might be there with his mate shouting at him to get the feck out of there.

Anyway all was cool and once the slide had gone we were able to ski a lovely line down in far more relative safety, in fact so good we did it again, though the second time it did seem that more snow had slid with the passage of a few more skiers .

Looking back up I did suggest at another time a gulley to skiers right would maybe be a safer option and back in the Cafe FatMap confirmed as much with their gradient/avy overlay.

And what made it so good the line that we took then set us up for another line that we would normally take off the Crete drag which was not working.

All in all a damn good morning, and who the hell knows what's in store for us tomorrow, but might well have my gear with me Toofy Grin
snow report
Feckin April Fools Day or what!

Tease with a whole load of fresh snow, get the skiers up the mountain on the first lift (Pointless) and then not have any lifts open!

Skiers then ski down in uber-heavy snow below circa 2,000m and quickly have to make a dash for the piste as the off-piste is so heavy Laughing

Take Pointless back up again, and have the drags still closed along with Cote Chevalier and Gauthier chairs!

And lost count of the number of people we saw stuck in the snow, digging their board/skis out from the cement Laughing

Fortunately, we did clock Vallons opening and opted for that, along with the Easter hoards, in that must have seen one group of 30 or so traversing across to ski the off-piste line(s).

Twas good, for a few more runs, in that there was plenty to be had and eventually, we were joined by KenX as we did the ubiquitous ridge hike for a nice line; we did aim for a repeat but it clouded over very quickly.

So I think the game plan is now just to ski the piste until we start seeing signs of Spring Snow, but we're going to need well below zero nights for that and forecast now for that is not that good either.

Sorry I know I should be more appreciative when you get to ski lines like below, but someone was having a laugh at us this morning Toofy Grin

latest report
Janvril continues....

April 2nd suggested we go for a ski-tour-cross-country-dog-walk 10km to scope out access and snow in Les Fonts aka Telly Tubby Land, and it was superb picture postcard stuff like the depths of winter up there given the snow cover, only issue was that the snow was not too good for actual skiing, crusty on N aspects in the forest and soft and or crust where we were hoping for Spring snow, plus we had Beanie with us who is probably too old for chasing after us on skis now in deep snow.

There is great potential for end of season touring if the Weather Gods deliver the right criteria, more on that later.

Awoke the next day to some serious minging conditions, and I suggested to friends who are here in their campervan finishing off a months road trip in various resorts, to a 5km run up the Granon (2.5km up), and she is a Team GBR Age Group triathlete so they were well up for something stupid, in the end we did 8km running in the cloud and snow at 1,850m.

And then this morning, thought I'd go searching out Spring Snow, maybe dropping off the back?

Only issue was that the Mea drag is now closed for the season and the Clot drag was out of action, so another plan was formulating in my mind, and that was maybe to ski cold snow on an untracked face after a short climb, and my concern was as ever would it be crust, and even the liftie thought it would be Laughing

But going up Gauthier I saw Eychauda drag had just opened, which was a real surprise and that gives great access to some great lines and all untracked, so that was the playground for a handful of lines.

And the slide shows actually how steep it was, though doesn't look it in the photo!

As the better aspect holding the colder snow became more tracked I then resorted to another sector which requires a little climb, and the great thing is no-one can really see what / where you are going, and rather than boot-pack as the snow was so deep I skinned up, and was rewarded as ever with a lovely line, so good in fact did it three times Very Happy

By the third line snow was just getting a little heavy, and by the time I skied back down taking the pic below from afar, temps in the van were showing 17.5 Shocked

So one hell of an unexpected excellent morning.

Only issue now is how cold will it get overnight and that's the issue for the foreseeable future with freezing levels well over 3,000m, just hoping we might still be ok for tomorrow morning as a mate wants to do a tour before he goes back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy