Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trip report: ski tour to (almost) Col Tuckett

Big day out today, with over 2,000m of vertical ascent. Left Monetier in the dark, had a gorgeous sunrise with pink mountains turning golden while we were skinning up the Montagnole traverse, then made fresh tracks for 1,500m of vertical. The steep section to get on the glacier was a bit dodge. We went on the gully on the right as that seemed safest given conditions. Then skied about 50m away from the Col. The Col itself was looking like a deathtrap: steep, and with the lower half of the slope missing as it had avalanched, so the top half was hanging over air. Did not fancy it.

The descent was lovely - there was over 30cm of fresh powder at altitude (was expecting 5 to 10 given the forecasts, so that was a lovely surprise). On the steep section came down just to the left (looking down) of the ski tour line on the IGN map. The snow was transformed lower down, but all very good skiing until the bottom of the Montagnole: a mix of powder, transformed powder and a bit of spring skiing all the way down. Not one bad bit until the flat section of the Montagnole: that was on heavy, sticky snow.

We were alone all day in the entire valley/mountain area, except for 3 people far away who used our tracks and eventually went to the Col du Monetier.

With temperatures sky rocketing, unsure there will be much powder left. And we'll need to go very high for any chance at spring skiing given where the freezing line is.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wimpytwo, big day indeed, good work
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wimpytwo, yes huge Chapeau, a very big day Very Happy

And as a complete contrast, today we had an absolutely superb mellow ski-tour; scoring superb Spring Snow, and only saw 5 others, so was quite busy in comparison Laughing

In the fifteen or so years I've been touring up there I've never seen as much snow at the summit, usually you can stand in that shelter where Ullr is lying down. It also meant we could ski some lines that we've never been able to, skiing nigh on all the way down to the van which was parked up at 1,900m

And a little video short.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zhQXBedeWFo?feature=share
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More powder tomorrow? Will be my last day touring in Serre Chevalier, nice to finish with yet more snow. Today was a rest day while it rained incessantly. Over the weekend we went high, staying a night at the Glacier Blanc hut and another at the Ecrins hut, doing a couple of peaks in the area. Some nice spring snow, some horrible icy crusty horror, some melting slushy softness - a bit of everything.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wimpytwo, I had to return to the UK at uber short notice yesterday and it looked like I was going to miss out on first lifts and freshies, but I see/read that it's very windy, and that will limit lifts to get to higher altitudes and the fresh snow, which unfortunately will now be very wind affected, so no real FOMO Laughing

I'm back in Serre on Saturday, so I'll be there for the final day; and then it's "Wait and See" for the right touring conditions, but I just have a fear that these warm overnight/early hours temps will continue.

Jury is still out on what kind of season it's been rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good that you'll be back for the end of the season @weathercam. Hope the UK goes okay. I'll be going back next week. Before that a bit of mountaineering on the Swiss/Italian border, going to try to go up a few 4,000m peaks to finish off the season.

Today was decidedly wintry. Windy and cold - one of the coldest days of the season (in mid April!) We went up a few things from the Lautaret. It was empty. No-one on Cote Plaine, or on the col between Trois Eveches and Pic Blanc - or anywhere in the entire valley. The snow was a bit heavy from the wind. So not perfect powder, but still pretty nice.

I'll be checking out the pistes tomorrow before heading off on Friday. Warmer and calmer, should be a good day of piste skiing. Maybe with a bit of off piste here and there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We skied for a week in Serre Chevalier recently at the end of March. Talking to the hotel manager in Briançon, he said that all snowmaking stopped mid-March. I can understand that there is a point in late season when the benefits are limited because everything will soon be closed anyway. Also conventional snowmaking is only possible when temperatures drop below freezing, but he stated that it was a legal requirement that applied to Serre Chevalier along with all French resorts.

Is this really the case?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bolderz, it is often too warm for snowmaking by then anyway, but there may be energy-saving and water-saving regulations coming into play.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had to fly back to the UK at short notice on Tuesday and then returned yesterday, Saturday, and the temp on the SnowCab van was showing 26 and I was none too surprised having been keeping tabs on the forecast etc

However, the temp driving around the top of Briancon was still 25 - I've never known Turin & Briancon temps be so similar.

And walking down to the 1420 last evening I was just in T-shirt & summer shoes etc and even walking back was still mild.

Saturday is very much the end of season party day/night and it did look like the 1420 was gearing up to be a good night as we left.

We went up from Aravet at 09:00 to make the most of the pistes before the sun softened them up to much, and looked like there had been a basket-ball thing going on at Aravet 2000 yesterday which they were starting to pack away.

Met fellow geezonaires at Ratier at 09:45 after a few lovely deserted runs and then under Les Combes chair spotted my first marmot of the season, and then a few more more up the Grand Serre.

Finished up with drinks at the Ratier and then we had to ski back to Aravet from there and again deserted.

We then tooks the dogs up to the lakes beyond Monetier and walked up to Le Casset and back, and I've never seen the torrents so full of water and the Durance was positively raging. Dogs loved being able to cool down and it was really like high summer!

Back on the terrace temp has just hot 26.22 and the sensor is in the shade of the eves!

Forecast is for more cooler temps mid week so points to hopefully good ski-touring, though I'm a tad concerned about all the Saharan Sand and what that will do, and then as ever where to go?

So maybe road bike up the Granon tomorrow to scope out what the access is like as from the pistes of Serre it look like one blob of snow on the road which you might not be able to drive through/over and then two km of tarmac before the snow-line, perfect for me if just on the e-mtb but not good for OH !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick update and indeed last weekend's record-breaking temps were followed by a return to winter and it looks like it set to continue all this week and into next!

Tuesday last I set-out to ski-tour up towards the Gardiole and turned back as nigh on a blizzard hit and I had Ullr cowering from the wind-driven snow. We even had a dusting of snow on the terrace two mornings last week.

Tried again on Thursday and was a little better but still not great and I have some Scandi mates out with a good guide we all know and I met them on Thursday and they said that their week, a mixture of La Grave and touring up around the Lautaret and been absolute shite.

That said they then scored a good day skiing fresh snow on the Friday up around Pic Blanc.

Saturday we decided to go down Embrun way as we're thinking of doing a couple of weeks down there beginning of June as I've sussed out that Serre Poncon and the Plan d'Eau offers superb conditions for Wing Foiling judging by the number of schools and photos & vids I've been watching, and a damn site cheaper and less hassle than travelling much further afield.

We'd optioned some accommodation and drove around looking at where we might stay and how it stacked up with other possibilities.

Whilst we were around the Plan d'Eau which is a lake by Embrun the wind kicked in big time and within 20 mins or so about ten vans showed up with locals so I was able to have a nag with them.

The main Lac Serre Poncon is nigh on totally empty at the moment, it is France's largest man-made lake, and soon they will start filling it up with the melt water but currently it is just dry beds of gravel with the raging river running through it.

And just down from Embrun at Crots is where more Foiling and windsurfing takes place.

The OH took this pic of a foiler on the Plan d'Eau with the strong wind ripping up the dust of the lake bed behind.

And the video on here shows what its like when the lake is full

https://www.spot-wingfoil.com/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy