Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
According to the Flaine FB group, they’ve enjoyed a very nice dump of fresh snow over the last 24hrs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spend Thursday morning skiing in flaine, and it did snowed but it was very wet snow Sad It was ok just at the top, but after like 200m it was very heavy, bumpy and sticky snow. Visability on top was not good as well wich off course didn't help. My skis were waxed but it was just really sticky snow even when you picked up speed and try to cutt it you felt it stopping you. I was in a lesson and my instructor kept looking for nicer snow, with no success, and even him struggle with it and was frustrated. A lot of people on the ground.
Was it just me feeling this? Anyone found decent snow yesterday?
Today it's still very warm and humid and I don't expect today to be any better....not sure if I'm coming out if it's raining....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rained overnight in Flaine: suspect most of the lower runs will be badly affected.
Hopefully 2000m+ runs it will have fallen as snow
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone knows how Marmotte (just above Samoëns 1600) and especially Calcite (in Flaine) are doing? There I was hoping the snow line would be a bit lower before the weekend...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the PdS thread someone summed it up with "off to Aquariaz".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@calinca, suspect not given similar reports from elsewhere in France
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@calinca, suspect not given similar reports from elsewhere in France

You mean everywhere in France is the same, right?
I was not being critical about grand massif specifically, just the weather in general.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@coldrainsnow, I have a vague idea it was open very very early season but then closed when the rain wiped out the lower reaches
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
patrick! wrote:

Ironic but Aquariaz is an indoor swimming pool complex in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz wrote:
patrick! wrote:

Ironic but Aquariaz is an indoor swimming pool complex in Avoriaz.
It was literal. Rain meant people just went swimming instead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lot of doom n gloom on here . Skied Flaine this week and after the snow fall on Wednesday night the piste skiing has , imo been excellent. Some light rain at resort level hasn’t helped but snowed higher up keeping things good .
Off piste ok at top but quickly becomes heavy and sticky on descent .
More snow forecast should help but temps need to drop .
Should be a good week for the half term Eh oh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've also been here. The top of flaine was decent despite heavy fog, some fresh snow I think made the difference. Overall I will have had a decent few days, however there are some negatives which are mainly around piste conditions. The lower slopes at flaine and samoens are riddled with moguls and they haven't seemed to bother grooming some of the key pistes. On Thursday one of the chairlifts at samoens was closed which meant having to take endless moguled blue pistes round the mountain to get back, this was beyond tiresome and not particularly enjoyable. Without flaine the grand massif would be distinctly average.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I'm gonna sit out the weekend and plan on heading over on Monday. Wife is out of town so I get three days to ski ski ski!!! Wink It looks like we'll get a bit of a refresh, although total numbers keep going down.... Meteo Alps is predicting 15-25 cms which might make for some good conditions over the bulletproof base if it comes in light. Temps beginning to drop tonight.

My other thought is to head over to Courmayeur for a day because it looks like they will get dumped on a bit more... but I've never actually skied over there. Spent a lot of time in Aosta in the summer but never the winter!! Is it worth paying for a day over there? Are there any places that would feel similar to Flaine in terrain and options? Hard when I already have a forfait at GM....... but I am definitely considering it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow at top of Faust is pristine today.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Snow at top of Faust is pristine today.

Very Happy
snow conditions
Think Faust was my favourite slope, must be cracking with fresh snow snowHead
latest report
Ooops, double post Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 10-02-24 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just back home tonight and have had a good week, although I'd have to say there has been a considerable deterioration over the week and afternoons were not so great for me, although the better skiers blasted through / over the lumps.

Only made it to Flaine one day which was the best conditions. I would expect the runs back to Le Carrox to get shut soon without snow, but I'm no expert.

Smashing ski area though, if that's it with poor conditions it must be great normally.
snow report
Plenty of fresh in Flaine today.
snow report
It seems to have snowed almost down to samoens town level, which wasn't forecast. A nice wintery scene now compared to drab drizzle.
ski holidays
Snow in Flaine very inconsistent.
latest report
@Onmebum, yes, the GM is a great ski area imv and possibly underrated by many.
snow conditions
@BAN,
Quote:

Snow in Flaine very inconsistent.

tell me more....

Quote:

Smashing ski area though, if that's it with poor conditions it must be great normally.

yeah it's a great spot, although after two seasons living here i've spent 80% of my time in Flaine because the snow's just been so much better up there. It's a shame because I think the other stations have a ton to offer!!

Heading up tomorrow with the teenager, i think it will be a good day!
snow report
Spent most of the day in Flaine - fresh snow, even a bit of sun by midday... and I didn't ski.

Enjoy GM if you're lucky enough to be there this week.
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, Yesterday a number of well used stretches which didn’t appear to have been pisted so fresh over invisible ruts. E.g. skier’s left on last bit down to Desert Blanc lift. Almost no fresh on firm at top Serpentine. Lots of irregularities half way down Mephisto Inferieur which was tricky in flat light. Yet pristine untracked on right under yoghurt pots at 9.15 and extreme left of Pin near Pente à Jules restaurant at 9.45.
More relevant, some great untracked on skier’s left of Grand Grenier lift, and both sides at the top thirds of Aujon.
And between Faust and Diamond Noir.
We had great morning doing laps between G. Grenier and Aujon.
snow report
Yeah @BAN was up there today and I immediately got what you were saying haha. I was expecting more snow but the mountain got a strong refresh at least, enough to open up the off piste stuff again today, so I will not complain!

But you are right, inconsistent snow even after last night all across the mountain. On average I'd say about 10-15cms of snow on top of a crust, with quality depending on how high you got. Above 2200m and it was nice light powder today. We warmed up on Pente a Jules which had pretty good snow, although a hard crust under it all, and by then Gers was open so we high-tailed it over there. Fresh tracks for 5 laps and it was phenomenal - amazing snow on the top half of the bowl, bottom half was fine but not as light. Easy to find lines because most people seemed to be staying on the marked "piste" which was not great tbh, quickly tracked out and moguled at the bottom. Skier's left and right side of the bowl were phenomenal though.

Finished up on Pente a Cailleuses, which had good snow but also some slide debris so got a bit chunky halfway down. Back to Grands Vans via Faust and the snow again was good on the top half. It was getting slushy by the time we got back to the car at Les Carroz 1500.
snow conditions
@coldrainsnow, you mean today?
latest report
Mental snow conditions today. Samoens got almost nothing on Sunday night and yet we had a cracking time in Gers today. Nice 20+ pretty much everywhere and got to make fresh tracks all day pretty much. Overall - early mornings are great. Post lunch time - lunch is for wimps - not so great and a bit slushy…
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was lovely as we drove to GVA this morning. Sounds like a ripper off piste!
snow conditions
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, you mean today?

yup, Monday! Smile

Quote:

Mental snow conditions today. Samoens got almost nothing on Sunday night and yet we had a cracking time in Gers today. Nice 20+ pretty much everywhere and got to make fresh tracks all day pretty much. Overall - early mornings are great. Post lunch time - lunch is for wimps - not so great and a bit slushy…

@cheburator, glad you had fun, we had such a blast in Gers this morning. We probably floated by each other at some point haha. My adductors are still sore from that gd tire-fesse... Laughing

and yeah skiing through lunch is always my plan at GM, it's amazing how the place clears out between 12h-14h. We left about 14:30 to pick my other kid up at school which felt like the perfect departure point.
snow conditions
@cheburator, any chance you were the couple that dropped in off of the intersection at Zeolite and said something like "they told me in London the snow wasn't any good?" Very Happy
ski holidays
Small world indeed - yes, it was me and the 13yo daughter Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Small world indeed - yes, it was me and the 13yo daughter

haha that's awesome, that was me and my 14yo son that dropped in right behind you. Glad you all made the most of the day and caught the fresh!!!!!
snow report
If anyone is coming next week - snow is holding up remarkably well considering that it feels like April rather than mid-February. Most runs are open and we have managed to bag fresh tracks every day since Sunday, but I won’t gloss over the fact that the resort needs a top up. Not badly yet, but it would not go amiss either. Lift queues have been mostly manageable and the slopes are busy, but I haven’t felt like strangling anyone… yet…
ski holidays
cheburator wrote:
If anyone is coming next week - snow is holding up remarkably well considering that it feels like April rather than mid-February. Most runs are open and we have managed to bag fresh tracks every day since Sunday, but I won’t gloss over the fact that the resort needs a top up. Not badly yet, but it would not go amiss either. Lift queues have been mostly manageable and the slopes are busy, but I haven’t felt like strangling anyone… yet…

Thanks for the update. Flying out Sat morning with Crystal with the wife and 18-month old. Is there any snow on the horizon? What time are you out at for first tracks?
ski holidays
Quote:

Is there any snow on the horizon?

Maybe a very very small dusting Sunday/Monday. Then it looks like it might get more interesting weekend of the 24/25....
latest report
coldrainsnow wrote:
Quote:

Is there any snow on the horizon?

Maybe a very very small dusting Sunday/Monday. Then it looks like it might get more interesting weekend of the 24/25....

fingers crossed x
ski holidays
Hi all, first post!

Been there this week. Snow at the top of Flaine is ok, a bit crunchy in places. Bottom is soft and slushy. Bottom of busy runs like Serpentine are total slush moguls by the end of the day. Veran side faring well later in the day. Ski in/out round P&V still fine but snow looking a bit dirty in places.

Haven’t been to the Villages for a couple of days, but Marmottes, Dolomie and Tourmaline were trashed by lunchtime.

Weather last couple of days was forecast warm, but didn’t really feel particularly warm. Sun hasn’t been out much, so has probably helped. Flaine definitely doing much better than the others, but in need of new snow.

On a non weather point, didn’t feel that busy.
ski holidays
Snow-forecast showing good dump on Thursday.
ski holidays
Hi all. Returning to Flaine, first week in April for a long 3 day weekend. Just my 11 year old and I, as my two older boys are staying home to revise for GCSE and A level exams.

Hoping to book him into, at least, a morning of 1:1 lessons. He is at deuxieme etoile level - whilst I browse internet for options, any instructor recommendations from Snowheads ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy