Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@BAN, yeah I've toured down there before, it's a good loop to head down to Refuge de Salles, then up and over Col de la Portette and then back up to Lindars. If Gers is open on Monday I'll be in it!!! Wink

@Faust1, hoping this storm today and tomorrow helps things out a bit, but precip levels seem to be less than what was called for last week. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any Saturday updates?
Is this cold front shaping up to deliver?

Heading out again next week, I enjoy the slush on a board so not concerned about conditions at Flaine, still plenty of snow to last a few weeks. Would be nice if the village links are still open but not holding much hope.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Any Saturday updates?
Is this cold front shaping up to deliver?

It just got cold in the last couple of hours and the clouds are looming, although not much of any precip today where I am across the valley at 1000m. Most forecasts have some moving in tonight starting in a few hours..... wildly different amounts though depending on where you look.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 23-03-24 21:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@coldrainsnow, thanks. Here’s hoping you wake up to some white stuff tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couple of cms in Les Carroz 1140m, everywhere looks nice but not enough to ski back to village. Hoping for more mid-week. Skiing just ok above 1400m and much better above about 1650m.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Three runs this morning in Gers. Some nice lines higher up, but a lot of hard crust underneath. Last third not fun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Three runs this morning in Gers. Some nice lines higher up, but a lot of hard crust underneath. Last third not fun.

lol this is my exact report from the day as well. Sorry I should have DM'd you, would have been fun to do a couple of laps together!!!

Welp, Flaine didn't get as much snow as I was hoping, maybe 5-10cm. Decent quality up high until it warmed up around noon today. Best snow of the day was actually off the side of Aigle Noir in Samoens - top half of the backside of Tete des Saix was very nice, but it was icy shite down above Dahu. I too enjoyed three runs in Gers until it was too tracked out to really be any fun - dropped in skier's left off Zeolite, traversed high skier's right into the other bowl next to the main "piste" descent, and then searched for fresh tracks staying around the "piste" area. Ended up going under the ropes and hitting the new snow over the old slide debris and it was actually really good and quite deep, enough that I wasn't hitting debris. Thought about one more line far far skier's left next to the slides over there but didn't want to wrestle my way through the bottom 1/3 again. Found some decent stuff off the side of Lucifer as well as Fred and Almadine, and then just stuck to pistes because it was warming up and they were skiing quite well.

It's been over a week since I've been there and I'm shocked at how much melt there's been, although I shouldn't be because it's been quite warm and sunny. Made it into Les Carroz 1500 and Samoens 1600 at 14:30 but it was a slush fest for sure. Followed a group of three guys back to the GME that were very good skiers, one of them absolutely flying down Marmottes (in control) carving within an inch of his life, horizontally laid out in every single turn. As he was waiting in the line to get on the lift he grabbed his rental ski and the whole binding came off the ski lol. If that had happened when he was going nuts on the piste it would have been very very bad. A good reminder to a) maybe not ski that hard and b) if you're gonna ski that hard don't do it on rental skis. Very Happy

My buddy was supposed to come out today but had to work, he's pushing for tomorrow.... I'm game I guess although it will be piste skiing, but I do admit they are still in good shape up at Flaine and everything is groomed very nicely right now.

Glad you got your Gers runs in @BAN!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That would have been fun, @coldrainsnow! Our first two runs similar to yours although we cut hard left halfway first time to ski near slip, where snow was untracked. Second time went far right like you but ended up in hard packed moguls at bottom, after which wife wanted a water break back in Flaine! Third time dropped in again off Zeolite, but was tempted to drop off draglift after steep section to ski Dome, but felt I needed to get back. Went hard right off Zeolite once back in bowl and went high above Blanchot restaurant and found a line with nine turns.

Rest of day mainly finding little stashes off top ridges although Faust was really great carving today.

Not my greatest day form wise as last day so had checked our old (10 year+) skis in for a service and on rented Dynastar Legends, which have hard edges and lots of camber so trying to adjust turn shape while taking on Gers. Just getting hang of them when time up.

Back in December so will keep eye out for your updates...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morillon closing on April 1st two weeks early
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Webcams looking a bit better this morning ahead of our trip to Les Carroz on Monday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Honestly it's dumping across the valley above Cluses at 900m. Most snow we've had here in quite a while!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arriving tomorrow evening! Better pack the airbag and all the avi gear then Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Arriving tomorrow evening! Better pack the airbag and all the avi gear then

Nice! Good timing. Looks like some more snow coming in mid-day tomorrow and then warming up quite a bit on Friday, but maybe some more action at the beginning of next week... here's hoping they get Gers open on Friday!!!

Anybody at the resort that can tell us how much came in today?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La neige est bonne!!!

Grabbed the kids from school at midi today and we were on the slopes in Samoens at 13:00. They got a lot of snow up there! A good 20 cm all over, more in some spots. We started off the backside of Tete des Saix between Chamois and Aigle Noir - snow was amazing up there, with some deeeeep windblown pockets and not super tracked out yet. Aigle Noir was closed at the top as there was a big slide just to skier's right off the pistes. The wind was ripping across Tete des Saix, blowing my 11 year old around.

Next we wanted to try to get into Flaine so headed down Silice, which was a massive 1m high snowdrift for much of the piste on top. It was wild, I've never seen so much windblown snow up there. We got up the Vernant lift and Grands Vans was closed due to wind, so no getting into Flaine.... we came down the couloir under the lift and the snow was really good the whole way down. Then Vernant closed right when we got down there - so down to Les Carroz, back up to Tete des Saix to hit Corbalanche. Ridge was ridiculously windy (I rode between my little guy and the cliff because I was actually a bit scared he'd get blown) and snow was good but semi-chopped up on the run. Back up to Tete des Saix and down Marmotte (some really nice lines down the Crete on skier's right) into Samoens where they shut the lifts down for good around 15:30 or so.

Winds looking even fiercer tomorrow - I bet Flaine is really really good though. I can't imagine them opening Gers with the winds like this, but I'm dreaming of all the powder that's collecting in that bowl. It looked like the DMC was shut down early too, so who knows what they'll be able to keep open tomorrow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rode gloop in Les Carroz and Morillon today. Links closed as was everything up to Tete de Saix.
Weird weather. Tomorrow will be a write off I assume due to winds. Then rain, maybe snow, driving to Flaine looks like best option from Tues onwards.
snow conditions
dozofoz wrote:
Rode gloop in Les Carroz and Morillon today. Links closed as was everything up to Tete de Saix.
Weird weather. Tomorrow will be a write off I assume due to winds. Then rain, maybe snow, driving to Flaine looks like best option from Tues onwards.

How’s it holding up for beginners looking for blues and greens, we arrive Les Carroz on Monday. Was hoping Les Carroz 1500m and above was going to still be okay?
snow conditions
Yup, what a crazy day. I walked outside this morning and decided to go for a long run rather than risk the lift situation with the winds. Ended up at Lac Bleu alternating sauna and lake laps, which unfortunately was the right call.

The fohn is warm and strong - windy all the way down to the valleys this afternoon. It was 21 degrees driving back through Cluses at 18:00.... plus the saharan sand blew in. Blargh.

Quote:

Then rain, maybe snow, driving to Flaine looks like best option from Tues onwards.

Or heading through the tunnel.... Laughing
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, I was considering exactly that, never been to Courmayeur.

Meanwhile elsewhere in Italy - https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5HLfcnBuSa/?igsh=MWxybHl0anFsYXNvMw==

Maybe Courmayeur would be a bit more protected.
snow report
Seems like we’ve been unbelievably lucky with our first ski trip, snow yesterday, overnight and this morning and Les Carroz at 1500 is amazing, some going into trees OP, nice fresh layer over everything.
snow conditions
@BoldSeagull, Yep. Lap it up cos it’s looking at the forecast that’s it for fresh for the week. Plenty of sun coming.
Avi blasting out at Gers bowl this afternoon so maybe even possibility that opens up tomorrow which would be amazing.

But today - yeah doesn’t get a lot better with relatively dry pow up top of Flaine with not many folk to share it with. Toofy Grin
latest report
Great day today, yes you timed it well @BoldSeagull!!

Started in Samoens with laps off the Tete des Saix as Flaine looked like it was fogged in pretty well. Snow up top was very nice and not very crowded so I got fresh tracks each time. Eventually headed over to Flaine and after some fun down low headed up to the top just as it was clearing. Snow on Diamont Noir was very good as was Pente a Jules and basically everywhere up high. Started getting a bit heavy after lunch but I absolutely can't complain about that. If that was the last good fresh of the season (and I hope it's not!) then I'm glad I was there for it.

@dozofoz, Lindars super full and primo too, I feel like they'll be able to open that tomorrow for sure. I don't think I'll be back up until Thursday so I'm selfishly hoping they save Gers for then. Wink Most models showing a light dusting Wednesday mid-day, but the snowline will be a bit of an issue....
snow report
Gers: https://imgur.com/99tnWH3

I'm pretty sure I saw skin tracks coming up on the right so at least one person has been down there.....
snow conditions
Gers had three people skinning up so they “survived” the descent. I pray they open it tomorrow. Fred was “bombed” this afternoon so I am hoping we get to lap it tomorrow too. As for the rest of our day - I think it was made in the same place as coldrainsnow’s Smile .
latest report
Epic. Powder. Day.
From beginning to end. Samoens and Flaine.
It hurt to go home - literally and metaphorically. snowHead Cool snowHead
snow report
@coldrainsnow, I was eying up hiking Veret yesterday but that would have meant ditching the kids. Puzzled

Taking today off for a run in the valley with the dog unless the cloud magically lifts and/or I see Linders or Gers open, both seem unlikely but Linders likely to open first.
latest report
Lindars Nord was going to open but now the poor visibility has put a lid on it. Gers highly unlikely. Pissed off that Veret is closed, while the bowl is properly filled up. Still, yesterday was a day Pablo Escobar would have been proud of, so not complaining too much…
latest report
Quote:

Pissed off that Veret is closed, while the bowl is properly filled up.

Put those skis on your back and start walkin'!!! Laughing

Quote:

Taking today off for a run in the valley with the dog unless the cloud magically lifts and/or I see Linders or Gers open, both seem unlikely but Linders likely to open first.

This is my plan too, although my legs are trashed from yesterday lol. Fingers crossed they can get Gers secured tomorrow and the snow hasn't gone to poo-poo, AV risk still a 3 today so I imagine they're being cautious. Although this snow isn't getting any lighter....
snow report
Verat hardly even needs skins, pretty easy hike from Grands Vans.

I was surprised how dry the pow was up top yesterday and deep in wind blown pockets. I can’t imagine it is cold enough to keep that dryness in Gers tomorrow though.

Be very happy to be proven wrong though Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dozofoz wrote:
Verat hardly even needs skins, pretty easy hike from Grands Vans.

Edit- I read ‘ski’s on back’ as put skins on.

Skis on pack certainly best option
latest report
Veret is an easy walk for sure, but we were being spoiled by the amount of first tracks we were getting in Les Carroz or off Vernant so didn’t bother. Gers felt very tempting, I even had my skins in my back pack. But given a set of 10yr and 13yr olds as companions it would have been very irresponsible, given the L3 Avi warnings. The good news is that the deluge in Samoens is snow from about 1600m up, so we will get another bite tomorrow…
snow report
@cheburator, yeah that was the beauty of yesterday, it didn't feel crowded and there was no rush to get fresh tracks (nor need to go hiking lol)

I appreciate their conservative nature in opening Gers, and respect their knowledge of that bowl, so there's no way I would drop in if they weren't prepared to open it - especially with kids in tow!

That being said, if it's open tomorrow I'll post my number in the thread and we should get a Snowheads pic (and some laps) with anybody that's around!
ski holidays
Another epic day of snow with fresh laying down to 1500m. I had a bit of an epic crash on the slushy stuff on that final steep bend on Molliets, but no lasting damage thankfully.

My teenage kids, well they had a ball up and around Tete as the blizzard hit, came back buzzing.

Might drive and park at the Les Molliets lifts tomorrow and do some of the greens and blues at Tete, Grands Vans etc.

My snow boarding bro-in-law who has been on many trips over 20 years said it’s the best conditions he’s had in a long long time, he was like a little kid having done the corbalanche making fresh tracks.
ski holidays
Another epic day of snow with fresh laying down to 1500m. I had a bit of an epic crash on the slushy stuff on that final steep bend on Molliets, but no lasting damage thankfully.

My teenage kids, well they had a ball up and around Tete as the blizzard hit, came back buzzing.

Might drive and park at the Les Molliets lifts tomorrow and do some of the greens and blues at Tete, Grands Vans etc.

My snow boarding bro-in-law who has been on many trips over 20 years said it’s the best conditions he’s had in a long long time, he was like a little kid having done the corbalanche making fresh tracks.
snow report
Awesome @BoldSeagull, glad you had another good day out there. I'm stoked for tomorrow!

Have you been over to Flaine yet? The descent down the blue Tourmaline is probably the crux getting over there, but it's not bad early in decent conditions. The snow has been good on the pistes over there and there are some good high altitude blues that you could hit - Crystal, Serpentine, Mephisto to name a few. Mephisto Superieur and Fred are good mellow reds, along with Minos and Lapiaz (although you'll have to eventually come down Jade which is a bit steep). Fred often has the best snow and the best views on piste in the whole domaine.
snow report
coldrainsnow wrote:
Awesome @BoldSeagull, glad you had another good day out there. I'm stoked for tomorrow!

Have you been over to Flaine yet? The descent down the blue Tourmaline is probably the crux getting over there, but it's not bad early in decent conditions. The snow has been good on the pistes over there and there are some good high altitude blues that you could hit - Crystal, Serpentine, Mephisto to name a few. Mephisto Superieur and Fred are good mellow reds, along with Minos and Lapiaz (although you'll have to eventually come down Jade which is a bit steep). Fred often has the best snow and the best views on piste in the whole domaine.

Me and Mrs BS haven’t, but the teens have. We’re in Les Carroz village and debating whether to park at Les Molliets or Vernant, as I don’t think Molliets is going to be any easier tomorrow for me.

I spent a lot of time this afternoon on Plein Soliel as I was comfortable on that.
snow conditions
@BoldSeagull, don't go half way! Park in P3 at Flaine and blow €5 for the day. That gets you 'ski in, ski out' parking and access to Flaine with zero effort. You should then be set to have an amazing day on snow that is waaaaay better than Plein Soleil. Very Happy
snow report
@BoldSeagull, ^^^^ this is the way. If you've got wheels drive all the way into Flaine. Head straight to the Aup de Veran telecabine which is just to your right as you walk in and start on Mephisto Inferieur. You could also hit the blues off the Aujon tire-fesse, the snow should be good on all of those runs.

When you feel good on Mephisto you can take the Tete des Verds chairlift up halfway and come down Tanzanite to Serpentine. Serpentine can get a little slushy at the bottom but it should be okay. If that's all feeling good head all the way up and take Crystal to Serpentine all the way down!!!!

If you drive in you avoid the initial descent down Tourmaline, which can be one of the more difficult blues when it's crowded and has a couple steep pitches.
ski holidays
@sj1608 @coldrainsnow we’re going to take your advice. Can’t fit everyone in the car so confident skiers meeting us over there from Carroz, rest going to park near Aup de Veran. Rained in the village a lot last night, but hopefully that was snow higher up.
latest report
@BoldSeagull, have a great day, weather's looking very good!
ski holidays
Wow loving Mephisto just pushing me enough to really start parallels now. It’s warm though and getting moguls at the bottom. The piste higher up though is glorious. Thanks for the tips as rocked up and parked right next to the Veran lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy