Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
With apologies to @under a new name, who appears to be the doyen of the region. Is anyone out there early doors to report on conditions.

I have just booked a long weekend with my son in early Jan, having had a taste in 2020 when we went there for a day, as part of an Aosta Valley multi resort week, and loved it.

Any feedback on ski rental places in Champoluc?- Tako appears to have good reviews, prices and location.

cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These might help - https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/stream/1667951641
It has been snowing on and off, along with elsewhere in the alps, and they have been making snow in recent weeks as well so the pistes should be good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@t44tomo, Early jan is a while away!! We haven't been over as the Mont Blanc tunnel has been closed for some weeks ...

We've sent friends to Tako many times. The owner's a cousin of Mrs U.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@t44tomo, Early jan is a while away!! We haven't been over as the Mont Blanc tunnel has been closed for some weeks ...

We've sent friends to Tako many times. The owner's a cousin of Mrs U.

Its 4 weeks tmr until take-off! but yes an age in weather and conditions terms. That settle it on Tako then Eh oh!

and thanks for that webcam link @motyl better than the Monterosa ski site ones. Looks like a reasonable base of cannon and real snow down which is all good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there currently enough snow that most lifts/pistes will be able to operate for Christmas week? Considering this as a potential destination. Not in full opening yet so hard to know what is closed for low demand and what's closed because of coverage.

Also does anyone know if the TOs still offer away days to Pila or Cervinia - we did that last time we went to Champoluc/monterosa and it was an amazing week's skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@belette, Monterosa has fantastic artificial coverage. If it is cold enough (which it has been / will be) and there is enough water in the reservoirs (which there should be), I think they should be nearly fully open even in a poor snow year.

Wind / poor visibility more likely to be a problem tbh.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, that's helpful. Yeah the wind got us and stopped play on Christmas Day last time. Definitely aware it's a risk at this time of year in particular!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I image that they haven't opened up such as the Punta Jolanda area because its quiet so no need to employ more people, and also keep the snow there for the busy xmas - new year period. Most resorts do that early season.

If you look at the webcams, the broader mountain is well covered, so should be a good base of natural and cannon snow, plus it didn't get battered with rain and higher temps that the french side took recently so should be a decent bet.

There is also snow forecast from 21st Dec for a few days

Re away days - its on the weekly lift pass. If you DIY and hire car for transfers then you can always drive it or is booking thru a TO a must for you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@t44tomo,
Quote:

I imagine* that they haven't opened up such as the Punta Jolanda area because its quiet

I suspect you're right. Although, there doesn't look to be [i]all[i/] that much natural cover on the 'cams

*sp!

Now the tunnel's due to reopen on Friday afternoon I may try and persuade Mrs U over for a couple of nights #cunningplan
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year crystal didn’t offer an away day to the other resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do any TOs run to Champoluc these days, other than Ski2-mk2?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Inghams and Esprit do!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like the new (old) Moos linking chair is being readied for a Christmas opening
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to have derailed the thread with non weather chat, we're booked in now with Inghams - usually we DIY but it's too much faff and expense only a week out from travel, wouldn't have been able to match the deal we got. Only annoyance is that we can't take our skis as the plane is full so will have to find somewhere to hire.

Fingers crossed for snow but no wind in the week of the 24th! And that they do run the away day as I'd love a day over in Cervinia.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@belette, well, there you go. I thought Esprit had shifted to Gressoney.

As above, for hire, if Champoluc, Tako is pretty good.
latest report
Ah they have opened up the Seehorn chair, so presumable Punta Jolanda to follow as the skier numbers increase.

@hobbiteater - "new (old) Moos linking chair" is that something to eliminate the short walk from end of Moos slope to Staffal-Sant Anna lift by punting you up that slope a little?
snow report
We’re going with ski solutions this time, as they have access to the newish hotel the petit lac,
snow report
@under a new name, do you know anyone who does guided winter walks ? There’s four women in our group who are non skiers and want to do some moderate walks similar to going up to mazgonez ..cheers
snow conditions
@t44tomo, yes exactly, now shown on the online maps
latest report
@yorkshirelad, not off hand, I'd just ask at the Guides' office or the ski school.
latest report
@hobbiteater ta, saves a bit of walking

Off at a tangent the SP299 (valley road up to Alagna) is closed for the next 3 days due to a small landslip.
ski holidays
Sorry can anyone clarify where the new lift starts and ends please ?
latest report
@TOOTIE, must confess I don’t recall any “old” lift from bottom of Moos anywhere Puzzled but I’m not indallible wink
snow report
Looking at where it's appeared on the piste map, It goes from bottom of the Moos piste and then takes you up / over the road to the last bit of the black -red down from Sant Anna.

I can tell you more on 12th Jan
ski holidays
So we reckoned we'd pop over to avoid the already crowds in Chamonix and, more importantly perhaps, have a steak at the Sapin.

Steak 100% as excellent as ever, but more on food later.

Good news for anyone heading over here in the next week or so, as far as we could determine, the pistes are in fine nick, if a bit firm, but what's new?

But off piste? Not really. They had a fair snowfall but then the rain up to wherever. So not much off piste. It is only December.

We didn't get further than Belvedere, due unexpectedly high winds.

We did lunch at Novex again, however, which was amazingly good. Venison chunks in a myrtille sauce with roast spuds and blackened onions. Also a nice Petite Arvine which at €29 on the table competes well with €23 in the supermarket!

latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
@under a new name, do you know anyone who does guided winter walks ? There’s four women in our group who are non skiers and want to do some moderate walks similar to going up to mazgonez ..cheers

For guided tours check the tourist office but this from either the bottom or from the Crest bubble is a nice walk.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DwCBJsGzciLtdzZD7?g_st=ic
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
So we reckoned we'd pop over to avoid the already crowds in Chamonix and, more importantly perhaps, have a steak at the Sapin.

Steak 100% as excellent as ever, but more on food later.

Good news for anyone heading over here in the next week or so, as far as we could determine, the pistes are in fine nick, if a bit firm, but what's new?

But off piste? Not really. They had a fair snowfall but then the rain up to wherever. So not much off piste. It is only December.

We didn't get further than Belvedere, due unexpectedly high winds.

We did lunch at Novex again, however, which was amazingly good. Venison chunks in a myrtille sauce with roast spuds and blackened onions. Also a nice Petite Arvine which at €29 on the table competes well with €23 in the supermarket!

The web cams were looking a bit wild and the odd bit of snowfall higher up.
Hopefully the forecast heavier snow tonight and tmr arrives and then looks like 3-4 bluebird days before a new year top up. good timing.
snow report
oh, and another thing, we bought our passes online last night for €48.50 and were a little disgruntled to find them €37 this morning ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

recall any “old” lift

@under a new name, old in that it's secondhand
snow report
@under a new name, you might be doing more lunching than skiing again today, has it dumped a decent amount overnight?
latest report
@t44tomo, a few cms in village and more wind higher up. We’re off to Aosta for xmas lunch supply shopping
latest report
Good choice, then free to enjoy perfect conditions tmr!
latest report
Thought the snowfall looked a bit disappointing tbh but maybe better higher up?

New areas announced for opening. Most open but a few pistes (Inc home run to Champoluc) still closed according to the opening plans. Annoying as our hotel is right next to that but we'll live!
ski holidays
@belette, it'll be windblown higher up. It's gusting 80-90kph outside right now Shocked

Had a top lunch in Aldente in Aoste. Very nice. Tuna on creamed canneloni with creamed red pepper accents for me, octopus pasta for Mrs U. Anyone might mistake us for foodies.

I'd be surprised if the home run didn't open tomorrow, but I've been surprised before.
snow report
@under a new name, and Mrs. U - Bon Appetit!
snow conditions
@shep, it's a bit shocking I'm detailing the food more than the skiing Twisted Evil
snow report
Closed today after 150kph winds caused carnage
latest report
@hobbiteater, the winds in Champoluc in the evening and then, worse, overnight were extraordinary. Mrs U has never seen the like and she's visited there more than most.

I had to carry a couple of large mirrors (but light) across the car park, maybe 5m?, admittedly wet ice, but had to shelter by the car waiting for a lull.

In fairness, Ostaffa looks fine https://visitmonterosa.com/en/webcam/crest-webcam-360deg-20682
ski holidays
It appears from the webcams and local weather stations that its subzero temperatures even at the base stations, so pretty optimistic for snow fall this afternoon / evening as the promised weather front comes through.
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy big flaky white stuff is descending from the sky!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy