Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for a disabled child

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter has a disability and her feet have extremely high arches, they are size 3 uk , very chunky feet. We are looking at ski boots for her as she has learned to ski with DSUK. She has also got her left foot and ankle fused so can't bend into ski boots now, can anyone help ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi good luck I would suggest you ask dsuk. What boots did she use then?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She used a size 5 boot a normal type , but since her ankles fused we are stuck as she finds the boots too tight on her feet and round her ankle plus she struggled getting her foot in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ski2therefuge, Hi, I'm an instructor with DSUK. If you just need to know what boots were used just get in touch with the DSUK centre manager at whichever centre you used. Generally we keep notes on every lesson so any special equipment is likely to be written down.
If however your daughter's condition has changed (as I think your post might be saying) then you may be needing boot fitter recommendations.
If you're in the London area a chat with Russell at Ski Bartlett might be worthwhile (he's an ex DSUK instructor, as well as a boot fitter). Note however that all bootfitters are likely very busy at this time of year...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi I'm based by the Manchester chill factor, the instructor John was fab but didn't sort her out at the time we did but now we are thinking more specific type of boots for her.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're off in February skiing so hopefully the rush will be over after Xmas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski2therefuge, I don't have any specific recommendations for Manchester bootfitters. But I'm sure John wouldn't mind an email to ask advice.
Rear entry boots used to be a thing, and could be good for this,but old rear entry boots are now probably beyond their safe working life (the plastic can go brittle). There are some newer rear entry boots on the market I've heard, but whether they are available in children's sizes I don't know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nordica may be worth a look.

https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/junior/boots/junior-2
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for your speedy responses , I'll look into the rear entry boots side of things as they sound like a good possibility. My daughter can't do regular sports and skiing makes her feel like a normal teenager Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ski2therefuge, Nordica do a 'rear entry' (HF100) boot, but the smallest size is a Mondo 24 (UK 5)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski2therefuge, I expect Colin from Solutions 4 Feet will be along shortly. He normally contributes to boot related questions. If he doesn't then try emailing him. He's based in Bicester, so a bit of a drive from Manchester but if he thinks he can help it would be worth the drive!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Decathlon also do a rear entry the Wedze 100. ladies sizes start at a 23 - I think that's a UK 4 so may work with an insole? and £120!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SaraJ wrote:
@Ski2therefuge, I expect Colin from Solutions 4 Feet will be along shortly. He normally contributes to boot related questions. If he doesn't then try emailing him. He's based in Bicester, so a bit of a drive from Manchester but if he thinks he can help it would be worth the drive!

@Ski2therefuge might be worth asking the moderators to move this to the equipment forum, more likely to get spotted by @CEM there I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ski2therefuge, you might also want to edit the title to read something like "rear entry boots or equiv. for disabled child (age?)?"

Those Decathlon ones look rather simple and flimsy, although that's not a problem for the fused ankle.

The Nordica W's version goes down to mondo 23. https://www.nordica.com/global/en/women/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf/hf-75-w

A friend of mine has both ankles fused and loves his Nordicas although being a fully grown male has the right size.

You could also send Colin ( @CEM ) a message explaining the problem. He's very helpful.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ski2therefuge,

I came across thise type of boots, where you put on the innerboots without shell, and can afterwards fit in the innerboot with foot into a kind of shell.

https://www.apexskiboots.com/products/blanca-women-ski-boots-all-mountain-performance

Maybe wthorth taking a look at in compination with an orthopedic bootfiter. Seems to be US.

I have no knowhow in this area.

Edit: the maker says they have this dealer near Manchister:

Ellis Brigham
Xscape, Colorado Way, Castleford, UK
Get Directions
+441977522040
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/shops/castleford?utm_source=gbp
snow report
Thanks everyone you've all been really helpful, I'm gonna look into getting Nordica boots rear entry as now I know what to look for it's easier to find a shop who does them by me
ski holidays
@Ski2therefuge, Graham at Rivington Alpine is often mentioned on here as a good choice for boot fitting in the north. They're just north of Manchester, near the M61: http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/

Graham's boot fitting blog makes interesting reading, including examples of ankle fusion etc.
snow report
Topic moved to Disability Snowsport forum
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy