Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete snowboard beginners - best resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Apologies if this has been asked (I did try a search first)

My husband and son are going snowboarding at the end of January and are looking at Austria Mayrhofen or Italy Livigno as these seem recommended for beginner snowboarding.
They have had a couple of lessons here and will start the week with a lesson but want a resort that is beginner and snowboard friendly as well as reasonably budget friendly - not bothered about trendy resorts.
Son is 17 so also want a resort where they can have a day possibly doing something else - walking/fun stuff.
Apres Ski to a degree but they are not party/drinkers so something more family friendly/tame i guess (but not loads of kids)

Which would you all recommend or indeed any other suggestions for newbies?
TIA
Claire
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads @clairebarr,

My first thought for snowboarding in Austria is Obertauern, They've had board tuition since the year dot.
Easily navigatable ski area, nothing massively hard/scary, all routes lead back to the village.
Not the Apes of St Anton, Zell, or Ischgl so no worries about their behaviour.
Hotels are all pretty good.
Been a while since we used any tuition, but they were bloody excellent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They might do well to have more than one lesson.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The first holiday I went on was to Niederau in Austria, which was a small resort, but more than enough for a beginner, especially with a decent instructor who by the end of the week was happy to primarily guide us to / in neighbouring resorts.

One of the good things I found about package snowboard holidays when I was starting out was that tuition was generally as a group in the morning, leaving you free to practice / explore slightly in the afternoons.

I think any resort would do for beginners, but I'd concur with @pam w and suggest more than one lesson, especially if they're on a package deal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clairebarr, Welcome to Snowheads. Definitely not Mayrhofen. Pick any small resort for a week's fun. Radstadt/Altenmarkt would be perfect for beginners and if it goes well then you can graduate to more slopes in Flachau or Zauchensee. Alternatively, Morzine, Alta Badia, or Alpbach all have good options for family fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Livigno for our 4th or 5th trip I think, and enjoyed it, nothing wrong there for beginners.

Every resort gets lots of money turnover through beginners and lessons, so it'll be rare to find anywhere that doesn't have a reasonable area for beginners and then those progressing through greens to blues etc. You can find some of the smaller resorts will have cheaper deals, cheaper lift passes and can be less crowded - and any of those can be worthwhile traits to look for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
They might do well to have more than one lesson.

Um yeah. They may want a read of my magnum opus on learning to snowboard here. We were in Tignes (mega resort), but had the best time in Ste Foy (tiny 4-lift ski area down the Tarentaise valley).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dyrlac, it's a great read that magnum opus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clairebarr, we’re off to Hochzillertal Kaltenbach. Our family are skier but I’ve been learning snowboarding and I’ll give it a go. Looks like an ideal resort for what you are looking for. Based on my research it’s got wide runs, blues and reds. A few bars. One snowboarding school. So yes it is a thing that all resorts will have ski instructors but snowboarding instructors seem to be fewer in this Austria resort. From three ski schools only one does snowboarding.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy