Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mixed Group/newbie questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Away at the end of the month with a mixed group of skiers and snowboarders, does anyone know if a) Guides will take a mixed group (going to Paradiski) and b) if its worth having a mixed group if it is possible.

Conscious that was is good/accessible for each mode isn't always the same.

We are also a varied group of abilities but im guessing the guide will tailor to the lowest ability?

Personally I have only every been on itinerary runs in good snow in Switzerland so wondering how it works with safety equipment, do guides give a crash course in the equipment or do you have to have a level of training first? I would assume if relatively inexperienced the guide will pick out lower risk terrain etc.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve done mixed groups touring and lift accessed with guides. My experience is what you are riding is far less important than your competence.

First time transition for someone with a split board is not something I want to be part of when it’s blowing a hoolie and well into minus figures but I regularly tour with snowboarding mates without any issue. I’ve also had all skiing groups where someone has been well out of their depth and it’s been no fun for anyone.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a splitboarder, but most of my touring has been done with skiers. I pretty much agree with @Dashed. A fit, competent splitboarder is generally not going to slow the group down, unless the terrain has a lot of long flats on the downhill (although I like to think any half decent guide would pick a route avoiding this). Although I'm not sure you are considering touring and not just lift served?

Quote:

Conscious that was is good/accessible for each mode isn't always the same.

I'm yet to find anything that was great for one, but awful for another. There's much more crossover than difference. Yes snowboarders will particularly hate long flats, but I don't think skiers particularly enjoy them!

Quote:

We are also a varied group of abilities but im guessing the guide will tailor to the lowest ability?

Yes I expect the guide will. Imo this is a far bigger factor than difference in skier/snowboarder. If the lowest ability has little off piste experience it could be a lot of waiting around for those with more ability/experience. It also means the more able might be quite disappointed in what terrain they get to ski.

Quote:

do guides give a crash course in the equipment or do you have to have a level of training first? I would assume if relatively inexperienced the guide will pick out lower risk terrain etc.

If your guide doesn't show you how to use the equipment I'd be quite concerned! That said it takes time to master using it, some might argue that a quick crash course doesn't actually prepare you in any decent way to perform a rescue. I suppose at least making sure you know to turn beacons from send to search is vital.

If you plan to get off piste regularly you might want to consider buying equipment and learning how to use it. But I accept for a one off day it's a big commitment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mix group....No, No, No, never ever do it. Those at the better end of the spectrum area standing around forever and are bored out of their mind. The slowest one is always feeling rushed which then causes more wipe outs. If you are staying for any period of time and can afford it try Club Med so each person can go in their appropriate group. The only downside is you only see someone in another group before/after your day on the hill. However, it does keep the peace.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will work if everybody is of the the same mindset. That is to say the better ability skiers/boarders will have their wings clipped.

Skiing with your buddies can make it worth it.

The guide will indeed give you a crash course in the avy pack and decide where to go. If they are going first they will know the chances of you digging them out are minimal. And if they don't go first they will lead any rescue. Basically don't sweat it.

Where the guide might ask for direction in is what you/the group wants to do - if you haven't done much off piste in La Plagne before and it's a mixed ability group then it might be that much has to be said.

How many days you have them for?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-02-24 17:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest a mixed snowboard/ ski off piste group is probably not a good idea. When we did a UCPA off-piste course, us in the ski group set off with a parallel snowboard group, to start we gave the snowboarders our poles so they could pole the flat while we skated, then when we got to the steep stuff we took different lines to suit the different characteristics of skis and snowboards. I have subsequently skied off piste with boarders, and while they can be better than skis through steep trees, they suffer on flatter stuff, so in my humble opinion not really compatible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@therock, Full day guide costs are c. 400€ and odd days are harder to book than a block (although you may be ok in late Jan)

They'll certainly take your money - perhaps better to ask what you all hope to get out of the day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobinS wrote:
when we got to the steep stuff we took different lines to suit the different characteristics of skis and snowboards.

Seems odd to me. Can you expand?

Disclaimer: My teenage son - though mostly a skier - got quite good at boarding, and we've skied off piste with him.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
RobinS wrote:
when we got to the steep stuff we took different lines to suit the different characteristics of skis and snowboards.

Seems odd to me. Can you expand?

Disclaimer: My teenage son - though mostly a skier - got quite good at boarding, and we've skied off piste with him.

Agree. Ime similar ability boarders and skiers enjoy similar downhill lines. Difference in line choice tends to be more about ability - i.e. less able prefer a less steep line and probably a lot more traversing rather than going fall line. As a splitboarder who's toured with a lot of skiers I can't say it's ever been a problem, we've always enjoyed the same stuff.

Plenty of videos of Nikolai Schirmer and Krister skiing the steeps together. Sometimes the snowboard is even faster wink
http://youtube.com/v/3-vif60hyMg?si=UeYzXDkgfEiFVfGo

Long flats are an issue for snowboarders. But my skier friends don't actually enjoy poling/skating a long flat much either. Better for everyone to avoid them where possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m a skier who routinely ski with borders.

I don’t see the mixing of equipment type is that big a deal. At least, I don’t feel as a skier I’m in anyway restricted. Yes, long flats are a bit of an issue for borders. But good borders can easily manage that. Plus, as a skier, I can either loan them my poles or even tow them along

I’m talking about fit, competent borders with loads of off-piste experience here. With an off-piste newbie? That’s a different story.

But I think the mix ABILITY can be really problematic, regardless of equipment type. Basically, the group is restricted by the lowest ability level. So, the better skiers/borders will be denied a lot of terrain choices, and probably bored. Much more so when they’re paying for the guide. Moreover, they’ll be cold standing around waiting for the slower skier/border to catch up. The issue is even more acute when off piste.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not a huge range in ability, more that a couple have had more experience off piste than others.

In any case group decided was better to stay as one rather than split into 2 and understand potential compromises. So all good.

a couple of people in the group already have equipment so planning a little practise session to get familiar with it all.

Thanks all
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, ended up booking a guide for La Plagne week on Sunday, weather is looking interesting over the next week or so, looks like may be some weather but its moving about at the moment.

If there isn't fresh snow but you have an off-piste guide booked. I assume they will still take you off and look for some powder but you just make do with conditions? I assumed (may be wrongly and naively ) that the idea of off-piste was usually to find powder so wondering what happens when there isn't any!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@therock, there is pretty much always powder to be found. It's just a question of how far or how much effort is required and the quality.

How many days have you hired for?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
therock wrote:
If there isn't fresh snow but you have an off-piste guide booked. I assume they will still take you off and look for some powder but you just make do with conditions? I assumed (may be wrongly and naively ) that the idea of off-piste was usually to find powder so wondering what happens when there isn't any!

Yep, off piste skiing isn't specifically about skiing powder, it's about skiing anywhere that isn't pisted. Even on old snow it's great when you stop somewhere to realise there's nobody else in either sight or sound, and knowing that there isn't some pre-defined path you all have to follow to get from the top to the bottom but, subject to your guides instructions, you can each pick your own route, be that to the left or right of each tree.

Of course very few people actively dislike skiing powder - and you have a much better chance of finding snow nobody else has touched if you go off piste in a valley only 1% of skiers ever go to than at the side of the piste under the main gondola out of a resort.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, the definition of powder is a nuanced one. Often people use the term "untracked snow".

As @Mjit, that is kind of the goal of the guide.
ski holidays
@therock, way too far out to gauge weather. Guide will either look for powder or corn snow depending on what the weather has done.

La Plagne has good options in most weather conditions.
ski holidays
Thanks all. Only have an afternoon. Just a bit of a taster. Also with a few other skiers not keen on off piste so not got the luxury of more time unfortunately.

With a bit of lunch the weather will shift, looks like potential for some snow but may just miss it.
ski holidays
Just thought would close this out - we had a mixed group of boarders and skiers with mixed ability. Conditions were not great but some spring snow to be found but mostly crusty old snow. Was still a fun afternoon. Guide knew the place inside out and was great to ski/board with. Interestingly he was on his snowboard.

Was nice to get away from the crowds even though we didn't ever venture too far from the pistes it did feel like it at times.

Will definitely do it again. Thanks for all the advice. Used Oxygene in La Plagne would recommend them. Not the cheapest but kit was all top notch though not really required as avalanche level 1.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy