Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Periosteum Damage - Shin Bone

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience to share regarding Periosteum damage in the lower leg?

Having had a relatively slow speed spin which I suspect led to a sharp twist and shock pressure against the ski boot cuff, skiing is off the cards for the time being.

Four hospital visits (one for x-ray and ultra-sound, and three control checks), plus further visit to the Doc suggests a ruptured Periosteum. Which is quite painful.

I guess what I’m looking for is anyone who has had a similar injury and any general info on how long things took to repair/settle down etc. And any activities or physios that helped. The general consensus I’ve been able to find suggests 2-8 weeks to recovery. Well past the two weeks, probably closer to three and the only positive is that pain killers are largely done and dusted with!

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cacciatore, oh no! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wishing you a speedy recovery! I had a similar injury but without the twisting, very hard collision with a steel beam - took about 7 weeks to recover, couldn't put any weight through it for 2-3 weeks, anything touching the skin was unbearable so I feel for you! Sorry can't remember any specific exercises, just gentle no-impact stretches and ice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds very sore. Sympathies but no advice. I initially read the thread title as perineum, but hopefully that's still in battle condition.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cacciatore, ...ah this is something which indeed really smarts. It's an injury which brought tears to my eyes when I managed to misjudge jumping up onto a low wall carrying some heavy tools, and brought my shin straight down onto the sharp edge of the wall coping. Apart from the inquisite intense pain, I was astonished at the amount of brusing in my foot. Mad. I do hope it is fully resolved soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2 and @pepper67, thanks.

Foot and ankle also both quite painful at times, presumably due to bruising/strain and lack of normal mobility/awkward weight-bearing.

Waiting for a series of physio appointments, so we shall see how things progress.

Might have to rent a sit-ski… Laughing wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cacciatore wrote:
Does anyone have any experience to share regarding Periosteum damage in the lower leg?

Having had a relatively slow speed spin which I suspect led to a sharp twist and shock pressure against the ski boot cuff, skiing is off the cards for the time being.

Four hospital visits (one for x-ray and ultra-sound, and three control checks), plus further visit to the Doc suggests a ruptured Periosteum. Which is quite painful.

I guess what I’m looking for is anyone who has had a similar injury and any general info on how long things took to repair/settle down etc. And any activities or physios that helped. The general consensus I’ve been able to find suggests 2-8 weeks to recovery. Well past the two weeks, probably closer to three and the only positive is that pain killers are largely done and dusted with!

Thanks Smile

The periosteum is a lining on the surface of the bone. It is very sensitive and has a very good blood supply.
It can be bruised to the extent that you get some bleeding between it and the bone. This blood clot can end up being very tender/ sensitive.
It will probably gradually settle but the tenderness may last for some months.
There are things that can be done if it remains problematic.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Cacciatore, sounds painful, hope you soon start to feel a bit better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Thanks Smile

The periosteum is a lining on the surface of the bone. It is very sensitive and has a very good blood supply.
It can be bruised to the extent that you get some bleeding between it and the bone. This blood clot can end up being very tender/ sensitive.
It will probably gradually settle but the tenderness may last for some months.
There are things that can be done if it remains problematic.

Thanks Jonathan Bell, a much better description than mine (probably understandable wink).

I suppose, given the area of sensitivity/pain (around the ski boot cuff), it’s entirely possible that any more skiing this season will be out. There’s still a way to go, but I’m kinda in the “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” mentality.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, Alastair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cacciatore, I'm so, so sorry. Please heal fully and preferably quickly. It's such bad luck at this early stage in the ski season. Also a big burden on Schuss in Boots - extra working duties and dog-walking etc. Big hugs to you both.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, +1 ...ouchie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle and @holidayloverxx, thanks Smile

First physio today and a suggestion that some gentle skiing (a challenging proposition for me Toofy Grin ) may well be possible by the beginning of March. We shall see.

5 more sessions booked and a suggestion to use a resistance band for flexion work (pulling the foot towards me) to strengthen the calf muscles. Also a very strong recommendation to get out walking. Evidently movement is key. She (the physio) even said walking the dogs would be fine….I said, laughing “hahaha….you don’t know our dogs”.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, that sounds hopeful. Fingers crossed for you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cacciatore, it’s difficult without seeing it but you could try the following. If there is a clearly identifiable raised area that is very tender you could put a pad over the top of it that has a window cut out of it to accommodate the bruised area. A bit like a corn plaster. I think there are also gel pads that skiers can use for padding front of the shin. Again you could modify one of those . Also if not too sore massage the around the edge of it as they may soften it and help it start to resorb the edge. May be tolerable to massage the edge rather than pluming into the middle of it with massage, which will likely be quite full on painful. You may have to massage a few times a day for sometimes to get it to disperse but worth a go. Just a thought.
snow conditions
Jonathan Bell wrote:
I think there are also gel pads that skiers can use for padding front of the shin. Again you could modify one of those .

Compeed?
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
Also a very strong recommendation to get out walking. Evidently movement is key. She (the physio) even said walking the dogs would be fine….I said, laughing “hahaha….you don’t know our dogs”.

I'm sure walking Aten and Solar would soon get you sorted.... wink
snow conditions
Jonathan Bell wrote:
@Cacciatore, it’s difficult without seeing it but you could try the following. If there is a clearly identifiable raised area that is very tender you could put a pad over the top of it that has a window cut out of it to accommodate the bruised area. A bit like a corn plaster. I think there are also gel pads that skiers can use for padding front of the shin. Again you could modify one of those . Also if not too sore massage the around the edge of it as they may soften it and help it start to resorb the edge. May be tolerable to massage the edge rather than pluming into the middle of it with massage, which will likely be quite full on painful. You may have to massage a few times a day for sometimes to get it to disperse but worth a go. Just a thought.

Thank you Jonathan Bell. The massaging I will try - already applying a more general area massage once a day. Will also give some thought to the gel pad idea. And will report back on that.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
Also a very strong recommendation to get out walking. Evidently movement is key. She (the physio) even said walking the dogs would be fine….I said, laughing “hahaha….you don’t know our dogs”.

I'm sure walking Aten and Solar would soon get you sorted.... wink

Laughing Laughing Lunacy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy