Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier killed on the Swiss Wall.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The last time I was in PdS, Easter 23, the Cubore lift was shut for most of the week. I don't know why, but this meant that the Swiss Wall was the best route to Lindaret, Chatel etc because it avoided the long queues in Avoriaz. As a result lots of people were skiing it when they really should not have been on it. Fortunately, it was actually benign slope conditions with fresh / soft snow. I personally would not choose to ski it in icy/hard conditions.

One of the problems I find with such slopes are the awkward sideways moguls at the head of the slope where hundreds just crab across the slope. (Not sure if there is a name for these) But they make the drop in to the slope and the first couple of turns much more difficult than would be the case with "normal" moguls.

A very important point made at the start of this thread was the cliffs to the right of the lift (looking down the slope). This is not immediately apparent, but for some reason I have only stayed left thinking it an easier line!

Very sad incident in this instance with tragic consequences for all involved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the Swiss Wall was the best route to Lindaret, Chatel etc because it avoided the long queues in Avoriaz. As a result lots of people were skiing it when they really should not have been on it.

When this is the case, is the chair down not an alternative?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Origen wrote:
Quote:

the Swiss Wall was the best route to Lindaret, Chatel etc because it avoided the long queues in Avoriaz. As a result lots of people were skiing it when they really should not have been on it.

Yes, and my two lads (who are very capable skiers) took the chair. I would not take them down such a slope until I had checked the conditions personally as it would be no good finding out midway down the run that it was in poor condition. My point was that it can inadvertently become a key access route in the resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, there's never any need for people to ski the SW, no matter where they want to get to. That's reassuring.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Origen wrote:
So, there's never any need for people to ski the SW, no matter where they want to get to. That's reassuring.

Yep, its a rarity in that is actually has a proper ski-off ramp at the bottom of the lift because it is designed to be used in the downward direction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richie456 wrote:
The last time I was in PdS, Easter 23, the Cubore lift was shut for most of the week. I don't know why, but this meant that the Swiss Wall was the best route to Lindaret, Chatel etc because it avoided the long queues in Avoriaz. As a result lots of people were skiing it when they really should not have been on it. Fortunately, it was actually benign slope conditions with fresh / soft snow. I personally would not choose to ski it in icy/hard conditions.

One of the problems I find with such slopes are the awkward sideways moguls at the head of the slope where hundreds just crab across the slope. (Not sure if there is a name for these) But they make the drop in to the slope and the first couple of turns much more difficult than would be the case with "normal" moguls.

A very important point made at the start of this thread was the cliffs to the right of the lift (looking down the slope). This is not immediately apparent, but for some reason I have only stayed left thinking it an easier line!

Very sad incident in this instance with tragic consequences for all involved.

I was in PDS in January this year and the two reds off the Cubore were both un pisted and full of huge mogles! I had missed the “tres difficle” sign on the chair going up! A mix of side slipping and survival skiing got me down the right of the two red slopes as you look down from the top!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can never see 'Cuboré' without hearing it in my mind as if sung by Dean Martin in place of 'Volare':
http://youtube.com/v/ah637P0_cts

And yeah, I do the big wide run down - as opposed to the map's indication of two separate reds.

Not a patch on the SW tho.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but there a little bit Dunning-Kruger going on. And some ego.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Origen wrote:
The argument about choosing to ski a closed piste is surely completely different from the argument about skiing the same piste when it's open or putting to sea when bad weather is forecast . There aren't shades of grey, really, or judgements to be made.

Perhaps people don't realise that apart from any other consideration it could invalidate their insurance?

I disagree about this. There are shades of grey in closed pistes. It really depends on WHY the piste is closed.
For example, it could be closed for avalanche risk. In extreme circumstances, skiing it might even present a danger to other skiers on an open piste. That would be inexcusable to ski.

It could be closed because it is steep, icy and dangerous to all but extremely good skiers. Skiing that would be foolhardy for most but not to the same extent as the first case.

Or it could be closed because the snow is thin, there are bare patches and you need to be careful to ski around the stones and might need to pop skis off or step over sections but it is not dangerous if taken prudently by half-competent skiers. Those kind of conditions are absolutely normal for the lower section of a ski tour descent and many of us are very comfortable finding our way through them. I wouldn't regard that as foolhardy at all if you know what you are doing.

That latter situation is fairly common for late season on the runs to resort in Les Contamines. The runs get closed but people commonly ignore the barrier and the ski patrol are extremely relaxed about it - at your own risk.

You make a valid point about insurance but given our insurance covers off piste in the unlikely event that something bad happened we'd be reporting the incident from off the side of the piste.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow&skifan wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
I have no idea why anyone would want to ski that.

For later boasting with a fictional tale of masterful technique.

In the conditions that Dutch muppet was "enjoying" I thought it looked fantastic to be honest. Surely anyone who enjoys moguls would fancy a crack at it?
When it is icy and rain-effected then nothankyouverymuch.

I've never skied it. I have skied Tunnel, Mont Fort, Tortin etc so I know the kind of thing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was on the lift day before and about 6 people packing their way down SW slope. Uk ski Instructor said that it is un prefictable, he only skis it several times a year. The Moduls at the top were like an icy Grande canyon about 4 foot deep. The next day, same ski instructor snd 8 others in our group saw accident happen. Ski instructor and Ski school folk very upset by it. People in our group were also shocked as they explained how helpless they felt to see the man and his daughter sliding down unable to stop the sliding. Was very traumatic and some things cannot be unseren.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ozibird wrote:
Was on the lift day before and about 6 people packing their way down SW slope. Uk ski Instructor said that it is un prefictable, he only skis it several times a year. The Moduls at the top were like an icy Grande canyon about 4 foot deep. The next day, same ski instructor snd 8 others in our group saw accident happen. Ski instructor and Ski school folk very upset by it. People in our group were also shocked as they explained how helpless they felt to see the man and his daughter sliding down unable to stop the sliding. Was very traumatic and some things cannot be unseren.

Many years ago I arrived at the bottom of Face D`Mont Fort after travelling most of it face first with varying success at self-arresting a fall.
Whilst I was "recovering"( read shaking and shitting bricks) and realising that I was no where near as capable a skier as I thought I was, the ski patrol were dealing with a Girl who had blown her knee out in the same run.
Then a guy rag dolled from the boiler plate at the top and landed about twenty metres from the ski patrol.
I remember the thud.
I believe he died in the helicopter.
That was over thirty years ago.

Even a blood spattered mogul on Solaise does not come close to that memory.

Skiing is supposed to be fun, not accelerated Darwinism.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy