Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heads up - Leash Requirement for Step-ons

Poster: A snowHead
Seeing more and more riders on Step-Ons this winter. I even gave them a try myself last week.

Anyway, a heads-up for anyone riding them. Tignes is requiring all riders on Step-Ons to have a leash. This is due to reported incidents of boards detaching while on the lift, resulting in at least one accident. According to the Tignes lifties, other French resorts also have the same requirement. I have witnessed at least 2 separate riders get stopped and refused entry to the lift so they're not kidding around.

FWIW I was moderately impressed when I tried them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does that requirement extend to fruit boots as well, or just step on?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have seen some videos floating about of people modifying the step on binding and moving the lever mechanism from the outside to the inside of the binding to give it more protection from accidentally being released or for easier access when bending down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I informed my partner of this, because we do occasionally visit France and also because rules have an unfortunate tendency to migrate. He said, “They mustn't have clipped in properly. It would rip your leg off before the binding detached from the board.” FWIW he's only ever used Step Ons, but said they did come with a leash, if he could find it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having had a quick try of them (not in anger) I think the only real risk is through the process of "Cocking About" - there's a few stories out there on Reddit etc of 'My mate said' and "This happened to me!" without any kind of info to back it up...

But I suppose it *could* happen if - for example - you're sitting next to a skier or oppo snowboarder who brings their foot up and catches the lever and moves it into the release position AND THEN you move around enough to get the other lugs to release. This kind of backs up the think about switching the highback latches over as if you're putting the lever to the inside then you're protecting them from outside interference.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An eagle eyed liftie in Tignes early December saw a boarder next to me without a leash, and said he wouldn't be allowed on the chair a 2nd time without one (he was lucky to be allowed to remain). The boarder was quite surprised, as such a reprimand was a completely new experience for him.

As for myself, I've always used leashes on my boards (>30 yrs).

I've also used step-in bindings, but although the K2/Shimano/Clicker step-ins are still going strong, the Fritschi hardboot step-ins have long since disintegrated (UV damage upon plastic).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, if you do use a leash, use it to fasten your board to the rack. There were several snowboards getting airborne yesterday at Stubai during a particularly windy lunch break, which I had to dodge when retrieving my skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coincidentally, my leash is a lock-leash, so the wind has no chance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coincidentally,
my leash is a lock-leash so,
the wind has no chance

Well, if we are doiung haikus Smile

untethered snowboard
breaks free from binding forces
flutters into space
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would be keen to know what is causing the releases, if its user error, mucking about, some kind of frailatly etc.

I'm pretty sold on step ons for resort riding and considering a set since I got new splitboard boots feel like maybe I should saved those fort splitbaording and could get step ons for the solid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FIFY. Although you have to mangle the last word into a single syllable Laughing

Richard_Sideways wrote:

untethered snowboard
breaks free from binding forces
flutters into skier
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf, chapeau, and a selection of beat-poet finger clicks... not pole taps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From my quick test afternoon, it does seem like it would be pretty possible either to accidentally move the lever while on a busy lift or to get on the lift without having clicked in properly. I'm obviously a total newbie with the system, but I managed to start riding twice when my back foot wasn't properly clicked-in
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Burton are making step on splitboard bindings now if that’s your thing, using the spark baseplate. Supposed to be pretty good. And a bit cheaper than hitch hikers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hang11, I'm not convinced about utility in a split board environment given you are strapping in and out much less frequently (and having just spent over 500 euros on new boots... I'm feeling quite committed to my current set up!).

I rode in resort with some people on step ons last year and I was blown away by how much less faff there is. Skate off from the lift and step on, done!
snow report
Not my thing - I’m a committed fruit booter on a splitboard, which is even quicker and more efficient than step ons Very Happy
ski holidays
The first release of step-on's had a problem where the heel clip was not deep enough & would disengage. They sent out replacement heel clips. Wonder if this affects burton step-on directly, certain/newer models, or a 3rd party like DC who make step-on boots.

Sounds more like user error & not engaging correctly as the newer binding are different to the original versions, but have to think there would be reports of disengaging on pistes & not just lifts.
snow conditions
@Crosbie, you use a leash with strap bindings?
latest report
@ste_B, I use a leash with softboot K2/Clicker step-ins, and a leash with hard boot clip overs.
snow report
@hang11, yeah I'm kinda getting more and more tempted by a hard boot set up for the splitty. Maybe when these soft boots are done I'll move over Happy The Disruptives do looks good.
ski holidays
I’m using phantoms but the disruptives do look great - they just don’t ship them to where I am.
snow report
I'm using Carbon Backlands with Phantom springs. Here's a frame grab from yesterday.

My mates are almost all on step-ons these days, but more for the performance than any other factor. I don't see "ease of in-out" as being terribly important. I've never ridden with anyone who had a "release" (!) whilst riding.

Back in the day we were forced to carry leashes, but they could be quite minimal. IIRC the leash thing was as much to protect before you were clipped in, so you were supposed to "hike the pipe" with board under your arm, but leash on, so if you fell you'd not drop it. I'm laughing at the idea of using a leash only when on the lift.
snow conditions
On the lift is when it can easily be policed, but the leash should be in use whenever the board us in use.

Boards don't have brakes, so to avoid decapitation by terminal velocity riderless snowboard syndrome, the leash is required.
latest report
If you're hiking with it as @phil_w says, yeah I get it. For riding? No. If you and the board part company while in a riding scenario, something has just gone catastrophically wrong with your day and a leash isn't going to be doing much to help at that point.. Possibly acting as a tourniquet?
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, sure, experienced/careful snowboarders don't need a leash.

Unfortunately, lifties can't tell experienced from inexperienced.

Could this be a helmet type subject?
snow report
If we're talking about a new step in/on/through style binding, ok, I get it - counter the problem with one of those stubby 6" boot leashes that get thrown in with pretty much every new binding along with out of the ark disks for 3-hole boards. Front foot, Job done, eff off ze lift stazi.

But if you're genuinely are worried about these new style bindings detaching on lifts then why aren't skis leashed? They are one solid clonk on the release, ice fouling or a low DIN twist away from being off,
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, attach leash first, detach last, because butter fingers oopsies happen. I have seen 3 riderless boards descend at >100mph - off piste, into oblivion (hopefully).

Skis have brakes to prevent runaways but sure, in rare cases they can disengage without brakes coming into effect.

It's not a matter of preventing runaways but reducing them, rhus reducing fatalities and grievous injuries.
ski holidays
Crosbie wrote:
On the lift is when it can easily be policed, but the leash should be in use whenever the board us in use.

Boards don't have brakes, so to avoid decapitation by terminal velocity riderless snowboard syndrome, the leash is required.

I have never seen a snowboard without a rider hurtle down a slope. Seen plenty of skis though.
Both are capable of doing serious damage at the right velocity. Ski’s are more likely to have longer, sharper edges + anyone can fall & snowboards dont come off when you fall.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crosbie wrote:
.. It's not a matter of preventing runaways but reducing them, rhus reducing fatalities and grievous injuries.
If that's your concern, starting with the actual causes of catastrophic injuries would be a rational approach. They are easily googled. It's mostly young men skiing at high speed on intermediate terrain and hitting stationary objects.

Possibly wrapping a leash around their private parts and making it tight might reduce that, now you mention it.
snow report
Gored wrote:

I have never seen a snowboard without a rider hurtle down a slope. Seen plenty of skis though.

I have seen this happen a lot - almost weekly, but I spend a lot of time at ski fields. Nearly always it’s someone new to the sport stopping for photos and just leaving a board laying around, or trying to walk down a slope carrying their board. Not sure a leash would solve any of those. Education would be the best approach.
snow conditions
I've been badly injured by an escaped snowboard, so I have a fair bit of skin in this particular game. I still don't think standard snowboard setups need a leash. For step-ons and similar systems, I do actually think it makes sense.
snow conditions
Seen so many snowboards hurtling down hills over the years i've lost count. Have always worn a leash and always will, I wear it on the lift, I wear it when I'm walking and holding the board. Its really not a big deal at all, you learn to turn the board so the nose is down. But im oldschool, I still mainly sit down to strap in and I really don't care if it makes me look like a newb Laughing
ski holidays
Only ever seen a snowboard lose it's owner once. I can't remember the resort it was in Austria where you came through a long tunnel to the steepest slope in the resort. It was moguled out too so we sat to the side to plan our route and this nutter came out in a hurry and slipped losing the board and tumbling after it. Sorry but it was hilarious the board just flew off into nothingness but he must have been sore in the morning.

Counter to that I've seen many skis flying off here and there!
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
For step-ons and similar systems, I do actually think it makes sense.

Why? have you tried them?
bought my first stepons on release day in 2017 & I have never had an issue.
If someone has not engaged correctly, then that is user error.
If someone has swapped over the disengagement handles, then that is user mischief

The only problem ever was upon release & the heel clip did not have a deep enough groove for the locking mechanism & it was known that the step on could disengage.
So good chance that is what happened - someone with old boots did not get replacement clips.
Shriekers as usual not understanding the issue.
snow report
Bought the old Burton step-ins in the nineties, used them for years always with a proper leg leash but never had an unexpected release.

Bought Step-ons a couple of years back, the instructions imply the leash is only to meet requirements, so didn't bother. Third week using them in La Plagne last month and, completely without warning, my board fell off on a chairlift. Luckily didn't hit anyone and the lifties let me go back down, but it was quite a shock. I explained what had happened but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about - definitely wasn't on their radar.

The chair was quiet and so I was sat across two seats with the board parallel to the chair, rather than the normal twisted position to accommodate the skier next to you. The foot pegs from the seat to the left must have caught the lever. The toeclips only need a slight twist to release so as soon as the heel goes it's off. Played around with it after and am surprised it doesn't happen more often. Made a leash and won't be riding without one from now on.

Interestingly I also have the Step-on split bindings and they didn't include a leash, although it is mentioned in the manual. Not sure my expensive split would have handled the fall quite so well!
latest report
@JohnnyBrown,
How old are the boots?
These are the old clips
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Burton-Recalls-Snowboard-Boots-Due-to-Fall-Hazard-Recall-Alert
compared to the replacement cleat
https://www.boardwise.co.uk/products/burton-step-on-heel-cleat-replacement-black
snow conditions
Both bought direct from Burton in 2022. I've had no issues otherwise, but it's pretty obvious now that the release lever is not immune to interference. I think as mentioned above it might make more sense to have them inside the leg, not outside, given we all ride with a positive angle on the front foot which swings the release above the back edge.
latest report
@JohnnyBrown,
ahh 22 would be the new cleats.
I would have assumed the release being on the outside for a reason. If they was supposed to be changed to the inside, then Burton would have released blurb saying so.
Anyway, its 99% sure my ski & boarding days are done Sad next MRI will confirm. Just bought new boots this season as well
ski holidays
@Gored, have you read the thread? @stevomcd has made it clear in at least 2 posts in this thread that he has used them. My understanding is he's a highly regarded snowboard instructor, so I'm guessing he has a bit of a clue what he's talking about wink
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Gored, have you read the thread? @stevomcd has made it clear in at least 2 posts in this thread that he has used them. My understanding is he's a highly regarded snowboard instructor, so I'm guessing he has a bit of a clue what he's talking about wink

and he said he has not used them much. I purchased my first set on release day in 2017. I am experienced with step-on's & never had a problem with them. Even the old cleats worked for me. I check I am locked in before setting off. There is a technique in twisting your foot/boot to the ball of your foot when pulling the lever to disengage easily. It released the heel & allows you to slide out of the outer clip easily. I do the same technique each time before setting off. My other half also does the same. Stepping on is 3 clicks, lead with the heel in first for click1 , rock to the outside of my foot for click 2 & step onto the ball of my foot for click 3. If I dont hear 3 clicks, then I visually look to see if I am engaged correctly.

Now it could be happening to people who are not familiar or new to the system & yes, if instructors are not familiar with them, then they may not be able to spot a person has not engaged correctly. - I guess more & more rental places are using them. There was lots of rental step-ons in Japan last month!
It is pretty hard to disengage if engaged fully & correctly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy