Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring near Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any decent touring (particularly overnights hut trips) around Innsbruck? Have car

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try here for your best bet....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165906&start=80
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, went through the three pages but didn't see anything relevant

Looking for something like Cosmiques or the Italian rifugios, but in that area - anywhere drivable from Innsbruck
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Load of places listed here as a starting point, but not sure which area is Innsbruck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.tyrol.com/blog/b-sports/mountain-huts-open-in-winter
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Found this too but seems to be all day tours close to resort

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/skiing/ski-touring/ski-touring-recommendations.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There’s huts with multi day tours possible in Stubai, Oetztal areas both close to Innsbruck, doable with public transport from the city. Bit further west there’s Silvretta. Over the Brenner and turn R you’ve got Ortler. Loads of fun to be had.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get your map out! None of them are really Innsbruck but, with the exception of East Tirol, all these areas are around 1-1.5hr drive. Stubai and the Karwendel are probably closest (Nordkette sits on the Karwendel, to the north of the city up to Germany).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ones on the second link are closer to the city, though some are piste tours, which probably isn't what you're looking for. Plenty of ideas there though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers @Inboard I'll have a look at those
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moseyp wrote:
Thanks, went through the three pages but didn't see anything relevant

Looking for something like Cosmiques or the Italian rifugios, but in that area - anywhere drivable from Innsbruck

There won't be anything in that or my past season threads (you would find more day touring info in the past thread though) because the only overnight/hut-to-hut touring I do around IBK is from a friend's privately owned hut near Kelchsau, but there is TONNES in the area.

Sellraintal and Stubai are the closest real touring hotspots close to Innsbruck. Sellrain probably tends to end back in the valley (eg at Alpengasthof Ruetz, Praxmar, etc) rather than really high mountain huts, but check out:

- Westfalenhaus: https://www.westfalenhaus.at
- Pforzheimerhütte: https://www.alpenverein-pforzheim.de/kletternhuettewege/pforzheimer-huette/winter.html

Around Stubai check out:

- Franz Senn Hütte: https://www.franzsennhuette.at/willkommen
- Ambergerhuütte: https://www.ambergerhuette.at

There are also a bunch of huts that are closed - but with open winter rooms - such as Nürnbergerhütte, Becherhaus, Müllerhütte and many many more. But I get the impression that you want catered huts with guardians and food provided etc?

One other hut close to Innsbruck that is definitely open is the Kemater Alm. It's not exactly high on the mountain and is pretty much behind the Axamer Lizum ski area, but accesses some really cool skitouring terrain, from the Kalkkögel couloirs to the Senderstal playgrounds, or even up and over into Sellraintal, Stubaital, or Schlick2000.

Other areas to check out would definitely be the Silvretta - the Jamtalhütte and Saarbrückerhütte are two that come to mind, but also around the Brenner, Schmirntal, Gschnitztal, Ötztal, Glungezer, Karwendel (between Nordkette and Achensee).... Really too many to name.

But what sort of touring are you looking for?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, that is brilliant than you very much, I'll have a look

No I'm looking for unmanned huts, what you get around the Mont Blanc/Monte Rosa/Zermatt area. I just don't know Austria at all

Basically looking for simple enough overnights like Cosmiques. If that makes sense?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moseyp wrote:
@clarky999, that is brilliant than you very much, I'll have a look

No I'm looking for unmanned huts, what you get around the Mont Blanc/Monte Rosa/Zermatt area. I just don't know Austria at all

Basically looking for simple enough overnights like Cosmiques. If that makes sense?

Very welcome!

I’m not familiar with those areas or the cosmiques - the only overnight hut stuff I’ve done in Italy was Gran Paradiso in a manned hut. But if you’re more into winter room/un-manned/cook yourselves then almost every hut has a winter room so the options are pretty much endless!

I have a couple of travel days coming up, but after that I could put some ideas together for you if there’s no time pressure
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy