Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Better Mountain Communication: Share Your Insights & Innovate with Us!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, dear mountain enthusiasts!

My name is Andrey Lagun. Currently, I am working on developing an innovative technological solution designed to provide communication and exchange of geolocation data in conditions where traditional mobile connectivity is unavailable — for example, in mountainous areas.

Your unique experience and knowledge are vitally important to us, and we would be deeply grateful if you could share your thoughts on the following questions:

1. How often do you encounter situations where you experience a lack of mobile connectivity in your practice?
2. How critical is this issue for you?
3. What specific difficulties does the lack of connectivity in the mountains cause for you?

If the problem of lacking mobile connectivity in the mountains seems relevant to you, we would like to discuss your vision of the solution and consider your potential participation in our pilot project. With our solution, you will be able to stay connected and increase safety while in the mountains!

Thank you for paying attention to our project, and we look forward to your response!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Honestly, doesn't look too good for you. Inbounds, this has been solved about 20 odd years ago. Outbounds, inner-group communication is pretty much a non-issue. What you might want, is being able to call for outside help. For this there is a solution as well, sat-phones, which, except for cost, work pretty well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So basically a Garmin Inreach competitor.

Q1. Never so far.
Q2. Very, if lack of connectivity coincided with an emergency or not at all in any other circumstance.
Q3. See 1+2
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not cheap, but I'd say this already covers most situations...

https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/outdoor/

I use a Packtalk Bold between friends for motorbike trips, and easily get good communication to the next (Mesh) rider half a mile away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latest iphone will do emergency satellite messages.

Garmin Inreach solve many of the problems. Walkie Talkies do the rest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your insights!

I'd like to ask if you'd find it useful to track your group's statuses in the mountains via our app, showing if members are moving, stopped, or in an inverted position. This unique feature aims to improve safety and awareness. Would this be beneficial for you?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not sure I'd install a separate app for tracking, given that WhatsApp does Live Location. Having said that, I don't do any back-country skiing, so I'm probably not really your target audience for that kind of functionality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For close quarters communications, I find pole-clicking to be more than adequate and never fails.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AL9000 wrote:
For close quarters communications, I find pole-clicking to be more than adequate and never fails.

Morse code .... or pure pure binary digital comms ? You'll not hear the zeros though .... just the 1 Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd like to ask if you'd find it useful to track your group's statuses in the mountains via our app, showing if members are moving, stopped, or in an inverted position. This unique feature aims to improve safety and awareness. Would this be beneficial for you?

No
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Andrey Lagun, Have to say OH and I, after testing the Cardo Packtalk Outdoor, find it very useful, especially when ski-touring and skiing off-piste, review here.

It doesn't rely on Bluetooth or data, that said we have found considerable limitations in its range in rolling terrain, and it is only really effective when you're in line of sight, that said that can be up to one km away!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski3 wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Morse code .... or pure pure binary digital comms ? You'll not hear the zeros though .... just the 1 Very Happy

Nothing so sophisticated I'm afraid; no time. Some inexperienced people can't seem to grasp the internationally recognized interpretation of the humble pole-click, so allow me to elaborate:

1 click = "Get out of my way you slow, incompetent beginner scumbag. Your mother smells of elderberries"

2 clicks = "WTF are you on the mountain you dozy c%^t. F off out of the way before I stab you with my pole and F off back to where you came from you (insert correct racial epithet)!"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AL9000 wrote:
Nothing so sophisticated I'm afraid; no time. Some inexperienced people can't seem to grasp the internationally recognized interpretation of the humble pole-click, so allow me to elaborate:

Completely politically incorrect, but very funny at the same time Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy