Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rab "The Mountain People"

Poster: A snowHead
Heard about the Rab outlet only 40 minutes away from Nottingham. Rolled up yesterday looking for a shell as I've been skiing in a Berghaus 3in1 for the last few seasons. To cut a long story short, the warehouse is packed with stuff at 1/3 off list and, BTW, it is not seconds or returns. I asked if they had the top of the range Latok shell and the lady said she had never seen one in the shop. Rab is all lovely stuff and after about 30 minutes I had found a couple of beautiful pieces I didn't go for but just had to have. Then I found a lonely down pullover, last of line, reduced from 220 to 80 and I just had to have it as it was my size.

On my way to pay, I spotted an interesting looking shell misplaced at the end of an isle. Well, knock me down, it was a "new season sample" of the Latok in my size at 1/3 off. For the first time in my life I was NOT going to be wearing ski gear in last season's colors. Next seasons color! I wonder if it was a one off or if they put one out at a time?

Got to the till and the teller asked if I wanted to join the loyalty program and I'd get 5% off my next purchase. I said sure but could I pay for 3 of my items and use the discount on the fourth? The key here is that I was not trying to take the wee wee and pay for one item and use the discount on the other three. Anyway, the teller gave me another 15% off the Latock, since I had spent so much, he said. Nice people.

My wife is from a hot country and does not altogether approve of skiing. When I left the shop £650 poorer she said that when a man takes up skiing he's on a slippery slope.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 2-03-24 8:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ronniescott, Good for you, their top end stuff is decent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ronniescott, you’re going to look all jazzy on the slopes in that gear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dear oh dear Ronnie
You’ve got it completely wrong about Rab.

Rab is worn by mountain guides and hard climbers.
It is always worn in last year’s colours since guides and climbers are poor.
If unusually it’s in this year’s colours it has to be covered in crap and grime.
It always has to be worn paired up with leather gloves sporting gaffer tape on the crook of the thumb.

Do you now understand the aesthetic?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, Used to think same about Buffalo too. I remember early 80's when Rab used to be somewhere up by the Uni in Sheffield and you could go into his workroom and talk to the folks making it, and could take your gear in for while you wait repairs, they once did a repair to a pretty manky 4 seasons bag I'd been bivvying in on a climbing weekend in the Peak.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looked it up. It’s only 20 mins for me. Might get some decent walking stuff if I can convince Mrs endo…
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, ...mm29...you know this...you were there...but to others RAB is just a label or a pair of gloves...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/thats-me-rab-carrington
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, many thanks - great read via that BMC link...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a Rab sleeping bag, it's great
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Faceache page for Mountain Outfitters - looks like it's updated fairly regularly and photos give you an idea of the stock they hold.

Opening times on here and judging by the postcode, there's a service centre at the same address.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 25-02-24 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is on the way to the in-laws, so that might make visits expensive!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I remember early 80's when Rab used to be somewhere up by the Uni in Sheffield and you could go into his workroom and talk to the folks making it

Late 80's I was clothing buyer for a now defunct outdoor retailer, and Rab himself showed me round. There was a room in the basement with a concrete floor and nothing in it apart from the down filling machine, and a fair quantity of escaped down. I still have a down jacket from that era, which was sent to us as a sample - true vintage gear! Actually, my daughter has it, and amongst her circle of climbing friends it carries quite a bit of Kudos.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karin, nice story
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Dear oh dear Ronnie

If unusually it’s in this year’s colours it has to be covered in crap and grime.
It always has to be worn paired up with leather gloves sporting gaffer tape on the crook of the thumb.

Laughing
OK then, back to the Berghaus 3in1 with frayed cuffs and hem. But wait, in 20 years I'll still be wearing the gear I got yesterday and by then it will have acquired 'the look'.

In fact the Berghaus Arran has served me well and you won't get a better bit of kit for 130 quid. The only reason I was looking for proper ski shell was my trip to Banff last month made me want a hood that covered my helmet. -20C the day I arrived, having been -40C the day before.

BTW, I stood in the shop and debated with my self whether it was worth paying 200 more to get the Latok in a less hideous color than orange. My wife says I look like "l'orange mecanique", which is the name of a famous film in another language. I should probably roll about in the street before I take it on the piste.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ronniescott, snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Dear oh dear Ronnie

If I wear the original Latok (Jeff Lowe) does that give me more style points?
snow report
@ronniescott, Hopefully a decent cut of your £650 is going to the people in Bangladesh who make the garments.
ski holidays
@ronniescott, useful information about the discounted Rab stuff, but your thread title is a tad misleading, it could imply the outlet is part of the Mountain Warehouse chain of stores, perhaps an edit to the title would be in order. Smile
latest report
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/rab_latok_bibs_unrivalled_durability_or_rather_lack_of-768636

Food for thought from our sister site where many snowHead also lurk/post...

They've all done the same thing. Arctx, RAB, MEq, MHw Jott et al. Build a brand based on quality, get a brand-loyal clientele who will pay £££ and then "value-engineer" it via a China / Bangla / VTN outsource/offshore.

OP - it's not too late to take it all back for a refund and get the same stuff from Decathlon or Mike Ashley at 1/5 the price (or look on eBay for 'real' RAB stuff from the 90s)

Jottnar
snow report
Quote:

but your thread title is a tad misleading, it could imply the outlet is part of the Mountain Warehouse chain of stores, perhaps an edit to the title would be in order

Thanks, just did it.
latest report
Quote:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/rab_latok_bibs_unrivalled_durability_or_rather_lack_of-768636

Food for thought from our sister site where many also lurk/post...

They've all done the same thing. Arctx, RAB, MEq, MHw Jott et al. Build a brand based on quality, get a brand-loyal clientele who will pay £££ and then "value-engineer" it via a China / Bangla / VTN outsource/offshore.

OP - it's not too late to take it all back for a refund and get the same stuff from Decathlon or Mike Ashley at 1/5 the price (or look on eBay for 'real' RAB stuff from the 90s)

Jottnar

I agree that companies have all outsourced to the east but you would be hard pushed to name one that has not. About 15 years ago I broke the habit of a lifetime (I usually look like a tramp) and bought an exquisite Gant denim jacket. It was made in Portugal, which is about the closest to home you can find. Even the Portuguese factories are being driven out of business these days. To be fair, if you go to the Chinese and say manufacture rubbish, they'll do it. If you say build me top end they'll do it. Just look at the quality of Apple products. The phones and laptop hardware lasts 10 to 20 years or until its obsolete.

I might also agree with you about the Arctx. For my January Banff trip I got a pair of their top end gloves, which the GearLab review said would be too warm above -5C. My hands were cold at -5C and that's the last time I'll pay any attention to GearLab. I'm going back to my Auclair gloves from the 1990's. I am sure that @valais2 would approve of these well worn leather classics. When I get time I'll post a photo of the workmanship, which is not matched by their current offerings on the internet.

As @Markymark29, pointed out above the top end Rab stuff is good. If you go to the Rab outlet you have to be selective and resist the temptation to get some rubbish just because it is discounted. The bottom end gear you can buy from Decathlon. BTW, I don't think this is good economy because it doesn't last.

Lastly: I had never heard of Rab until I started looking for a ski shell this year. After visiting the outlet and buying three items for myself and one for my wife, I was appalled to recognize their stuff adorning the well to do urbanites round the west end of Glasgow last week. OMG, I hate to discover I'm mainstream!
ski holidays
@ronniescott, ...new RAB jacket with leather 1990s gloves? High cred!

Last week on me:

Lange Rx110...battered
Socks ... not crunchy since we are trying a new regime of actually washing socks
Base layer ... not standing up by themselves for a change
Patagonia goreT trousers in lime green...filthy..where does that black cack come from..
Patagonia speed ascent climbing jacket in black ... very worn but hides the cack
RAB nucleus grid fleece ...mmmm....toasty
Peak Performance base layer ... hmm needs a wash ...
Mountain equipment guide gloves ... ancient ... no glove honk since worn with inners
Merino hestra inners ... washed!! But with a badly repaired hole
POC receptor backcountry ... marked ... no helmet honk unlike some helmets
Oakley Canopy goggles ... perfect lens ... shame about the crinkly elastic
Scott series 3 poles ... ancient...one bent by the Grom when he nicked them for a day
Volkl Mantras ... perfect edges, perfect bases ... look sh..t since have been up and down the mountains more often than the local bouquetin
ski holidays
@valais2, we need pictures please! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Food for thought from our sister site where many also lurk/post...

There was a recent reddit post about poor quality RAB stitching on several garments too, but it was removed.

I'm a bit of a Rab fangirl as their stuff fits me really well. Mountain equipment have gone and changed their fit and their jackets are now too tight under the armpits. Annoying.
ski holidays
Quote:

Rab is worn by mountain guides and hard climbers...

In my experience it's slightly overweight middle aged men, who's closest thing to exertion is walking the dog. Laughing Kind of what north face was a few years ago, although now that's been taken over by the younger crowd.

In fairness I do have some of their photon insulated trousers which are considered one of the better high altitude trousers. So probably some truth in their high end specific mountaineering stuff being good.

But their low and middle of the range stuff is completely overpriced. I remember comparing the decathlon light down jacket with the Rab equivalent. They had basically the same stats, but Rab was 2.5x the cost. Decathlon actually has some fantastic gear, but for some it's just not fashionable enough, they need a famous brand.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Rab is worn by mountain guides and hard climbers...

In my experience it's slightly overweight middle aged men, who's closest thing to exertion is walking the dog. Laughing Kind of what north face was a few years ago, although now that's been taken over by the younger crowd.

In fairness I do have some of their photon insulated trousers which are considered one of the better high altitude trousers. So probably some truth in their high end specific mountaineering stuff being good.

But their low and middle of the range stuff is completely overpriced. I remember comparing the decathlon light down jacket with the Rab equivalent. They had basically the same stats, but Rab was 2.5x the cost. Decathlon actually has some fantastic gear, but for some it's just not fashionable enough, they need a famous brand.

The Simond branded stuff at decathlon seems pretty good . Marketed as serious mountaineering kit but some bits equally good for skiing .
I have some of their merino hoodies as mid layers and they are fantastic - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men's-hooded-pullover-merino-wool-mountaineering-blue/_/R-p-309545?mc=8540152&c=blue
snow conditions
I'm the first one to admit when I'm wrong. I took two of my three items back to the outlet after wearing them around the house. The outer fabric on the down garments is not breathable enough for exercising. My wife, on the other hand, loves her jacket for gentle dog walking. So far, I can't fault the Latok shell, especially with 33% outlet discount and a further 15% off at the till. I've not taken it into battle yet but I expect it to be more waterproof than my beloved Berghaus Aran Hydroshell, which, by design, is only good for half a day in the wet.

@sheffskibod, I like the look of the Decathlon hoodie.
latest report
@boarder2020,
Quote:

In my experience it's slightly overweight middle aged men, who's closest thing to exertion is walking the dog.
. Laughing

I am so unfashionable, I can honestly say that I never in my life saw a Rab down jacket until after I bought one. As a trim old man, I can't afford to dress like an overweight middle aged man, so I took it back immediately. There was a time, back in the 1990's when every chav had to have a Berghaus jacket. Then it was the Superdry jacked, don't know what there're wearing now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The outer fabric on the down garments is not breathable enough for exercising.

To be fair the whole point of down is that it's not "breathable" and traps the heat in. Definitely not the right tool for the job if looking for something to exercise in!

@ronniescott, it was a bit tongue in cheek, although they do seem a popular choice with the dog walkers in my hometown, which is about as far from the mountains as can be. I always wonder why they are paying premium price for something way overspecced for their needs, but I guess "outdoor brands" are quite fashionable.

@sheffskibod, I have some Simond stuff and it's very good, will be taking it up to 7000m in the summer. As you say works perfectly for ski touring too. Actually I think their hiking range is actually better for ski touring than their ski stuff which seems a bit more bulky and focused predominantly on lift served skiing (far enough as it's a much bigger ski market).

The hoodie looks good. I've been using this for some touring this season and it's been a great midlayer https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-hiking-fleece-jacket-mh520-hood/_/R-p-332308?mc=8649144&c=blue

Also using some decathlon socks, base layer, and gloves which have all been great, and at a fraction of the price of the big names. Along with a very old light down jacket which must be one of the best purchases I've ever made - was about £40 and has lasted years and it's really been put through it - multiple trips to Nepal, ski touring, mountaineering - wore it up at camp at 6000m, even hiking through Afghanistan. They are now £60 but still a bargain imo, less than half the price of the Rab equivalent!
ski holidays
@boarder2020, is it possible that the Rab wearing dog walkers might have it for other purposes too?

I have all sorts of outdoor brands that get used for more extreme outdoor things. I also wear these to walk the dogs.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
@boarder2020, is it possible that the Rab wearing dog walkers might have it for other purposes too?

I have all sorts of outdoor brands that get used for more extreme outdoor things. I also wear these to walk the dogs.

Dog walkers round my way (Manchester) are normally clad in the jacket of choice for Goldie Looking Chain, aka the DryRobe.....
ski holidays
[quote="ronniescott"]
Quote:

OK then, back to the Berghaus 3in1 with frayed cuffs and hem. But wait, in 20 years I'll still be wearing the gear I got yesterday and by then it will have acquired 'the look'.

I doubt it will still be in one piece in 20yrs time.....
latest report
Rab Carrington was a former president of the British Mountaineering Council and of course a mountaineer before he became an equipment manufacturer. He is very well known in mountaineering circles. Rab equipment is (was) intended for mountaineering where every gram counts rather than leisure wear. Decathalon goes for a different market, offering value for money where every pound counts.

Do you get your BMC discount as well at the Outlet Shop?

I suppose that puts him in the sort of same area as Yvon Chouinard and the Patagonia brand (Though their equipment is now marketed as Black Diamond)
ski holidays
@johnE, Nothing wrong with Patagonia, great gear imv
latest report
Patagucci is indeed great kit. You pay for it though. Like Arcteryx. Or Norrona. In general I'd say Rab (and Mountain Equipment) comes in at a slightly lower price point. Top end down products from Rab are probably as good as anything on the market (warmth to weight etc).
ski holidays
Quote:

Top end down products from Rab are probably as good as anything on the market (warmth to weight etc).

Indeed. Perhaps I should buy one of these https://rab.equipment/uk/expedition-1400?queryID=49cc39abcc5c4e02029f57922e9064d9&objectID=7956&indexName=rab_live_uk_products
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Top end down products from Rab are probably as good as anything on the market (warmth to weight etc).

Indeed. Perhaps I should buy one of these https://rab.equipment/uk/expedition-1400?queryID=49cc39abcc5c4e02029f57922e9064d9&objectID=7956&indexName=rab_live_uk_products

good call if you are going to be bivvying at 7000m in the Himalayas. Weekend of camping in the Peak District - not so much.
snow report
Quote:

Patagucci is indeed great kit.

And to be fair to them they pretty much will repair or warranty anything. To the point it became a bit of a joke ski bums trying to find 20 year old Patagonia stuff in thrift stores breaking the zip and sending it in to get either a brand new jacket or often a very nice discount on a new one.

I have no issues saying that an arctyrx jacket is better than a decathlon one. But for the price it just doesn't make sense. The top end jackets are just way over specced for what the majority of us are doing. The decathlon gear is plenty good for most of us at an affordable price.
snow report
Yeah and no one needs a more expensive car than a skoda.
(I drive a skoda FWIW).
But people like nice things - no harm in that.
latest report
@jedster, sure if they have the money why not. Its quite a materialists view though. Especially when for most of us we unfortunately don't have a limited supply of money. I do get slightly tired of friends with their nice cars, fancy clothes, and expensive phones asking me "how can you afford to be spending so much time snowboarding each year". Well you could too if like me you didn't buy all that stuff!

Was skiing with someone the other day who pointed out I had a rip in my trousers and would need a new pair. Thought nope goretex patch and these will be good for a few more seasons Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy