Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time of year to buy discount gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I was wondering what peoples general perception when to buy ski equipment and apparel is to benefit from discounts and previous seasons clearance stock etc?

End of season
Summer
Black Friday
boxing day sales

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Happy to have it moved to a more appropriate one if necessary.

Thanks in advance guys. Love the place BTW.

Enjoy!

TS
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
End of season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's some ridiculous deals to be had at the moment on Adidas Terrex snow gear with Sports Direct.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now! We are all back from half term break so no plans on spending much and the brands now it. I've been buying a lot recently because kids started snow sports 2 years ago, I've changed sports too and can see that the best discounts I've got were around Feb-early March. Then you may get a better deal but with very limited availability. Closer to new season there are new season arrivals with no discounts. Another good time was black/white days, e.g. really decent discounts on snowleader website.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
End of season, then autumn for the overstock places like TKMaxx, etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@TSTW,
If in resort then the end of the season, followed by the start of the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've bought occasional bargains in resort shops' end of season sales, but mostly only on impulse purchase and around half list price, which these days seems to be on a par with, or even sometimes higher than, prices on webshops like Gliss-shop and Conrad Sport. Mostly my skis over the last ten years have been from a particular discount shop near to Basel, not much help for non-Swiss, but when I saw some there recently that I quite fancied it became apparent that the online deals were at least as good with a lot more choice of sizes etc.

The only trouble with that is that I have to go through a whole comparison and selection process instead of just buying the One pair of fat skis they had in the shop and hoping they'd be OK wink Which, TBF, has worked well for the last 3 pairs I bought from them.

But no, online, especially for previous years' models, is the way I'll be going with the next set.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy my kids’ kit in the end of season sales every year. Bargains galore!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends a lot on what sizes you want, with clothing I tend to get bargains all year round with last seasons XL gear, but boots not so much being 27.5. I would say if you take a medium size then you are looking at February before stock runs out. Just got a very good deal on 4 pairs of kids racing skis for my girls from sport conrad and sport bittl but checked stock after purchase and looks like I had last ones.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
End of season, but if you can get over to Albertville, Ekosport seem to have much better deals in the shop as opposed to online.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gixxerniknik, driving from Geneva to champagny in few weeks time. You reckon worth popping in then?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@noodlehat, Last time I was there was late March two years ago and I thought the prices were great. I was there for a pair of bindings and was sorely tempted to get a new pair of skis. So if you're passing I'd say yes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was reminded by this thread, and by skiing some off-piste on my GS skis while my wife was on her 100s, that I really need some new freeride skis, so off I went.

Glissshop were indeed very competitive, but ended up with a Swiss site slightly cheaper, so one pair of 192cm Atomic Bent Chetler 120s (chf527 inc bindings/mounting and postage) now ordered Happy Got a snowboarding mate coming out in a couple of weeks, who's always something of a weather god, so expecting some big dumps just before that snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking to make some reasonably expensive arc'teryx or Helly Hansen purchases so I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone sees sales starting on either Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi All,

Couple of websites that currently. have some nice offers. I suppose due to this, I was curious as to whether they'd get better!

Big thank you to everyone thats replied.

Enjoy!

TS
snow conditions
End of the season, but remember that the season doesn't end until the end of April. For skis we wander around the resort looking at the ex rental stuff that is on sale. Two years ago our son got some excellent condition off piste skis for IIRC 180€ a saving of more than 500€ on the new price 3 years previously. Ski clothing doen't appear discounted much in the summer.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
End of the season, but remember that the season doesn't end until the end of April. For skis we wander around the resort looking at the ex rental stuff that is on sale. Two years ago our son got some excellent condition off piste skis for IIRC 180€ a saving of more than 500€ on the new price 3 years previously. Ski clothing doen't appear discounted much in the summer.

hi @johnE,

Would you say websites will mimic this model like the resorts?

Enjoy

TS
snow report
TSTW wrote:
johnE wrote:

hi "johnE",

Would you say websites will mimic this model like the resorts?

Enjoy

TS
snow conditions
TSTW wrote:
TSTW wrote:
johnE wrote:

hi JohnE,

Would you say websites will mimic this model like the resorts so put it off to end of march and APril?

Enjoy

TS
ski holidays
@TSTW, Sorry, I don't know. I like to try clothing on before I buy and at least inspect skis or test them before buying them
snow report
johnE wrote:
@TSTW, Sorry, I don't know. I like to try clothing on before I buy and at least inspect skis or test them before buying them

hey JohnE,

I get that. Thanks for the swift reply!

TS
snow conditions
damanpunk wrote:
Looking to make some reasonably expensive arc'teryx or Helly Hansen purchases so I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone sees sales starting on either Smile

I've had some great deals from the Helly Hansen outlet shop in Bridgend. Got a HH ski jacket reduced from £440 to £100 (genuine reduction too as saw the same jacket in Snow and Rock a year later for £440) and also got a pair of ski trousers in the same store for £50 instead of £180. And my wife got some ski gloves for way less than half price there too. They always have a good selection of base layers too.

The jacket I got in the summer and the trousers 2 weeks ago so there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when they get stuff in. Although I must have made about 6 or 7 trips to get the trousers
latest report
@TSTW, Depending on the price point you are looking at both Peak Performance and Norrona do stupidly good sales normally in March timeish. Sign up to their newsletters and you will find out. Norrona email you every time they stock up their outlet store. Often get 50% off with PP but I think it may have been 40% last year. Can't recall. It changes with Noronna.
latest report
The uk online sales start early March in my experience as the majority of uk skiers don’t realise you can ski after half term!
snow report
Legend. wrote:
@TSTW, Depending on the price point you are looking at both Peak Performance and Norrona do stupidly good sales normally in March timeish. Sign up to their newsletters and you will find out. Norrona email you every time they stock up their outlet store. Often get 50% off with PP but I think it may have been 40% last year. Can't recall. It changes with Noronna.

Legend!

Very Happy

TS
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
The uk online sales start early March in my experience as the majority of uk skiers don’t realise you can ski after half term!

I imagine the drop off of business is by suborders of magnitude comparing term time to School holidays.

A more suspicious mind would consider taking your child out of school in term time for holidays illegal a clandestine greasing of palms by the holiday industry to the government cabinet ministers. But I don't have that mind, and I love the government.

enjoy

TS wink
snow report
Sport Conrad have some cracking deals now eg Blizzard Hustle 10 23/24 down from €795 to €299. They had a load of top end touring clothing at 50% off last week but that seems to have stopped now. As above, pays to get in their mailing list as the good stuff goes quickly
latest report
Hoping Ridestore has a sale soon I'd like a jacket.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just bought a pair of Line Blade Optic 104s for under £300. European site, had them shipped to an in-resort mate in Europe and I shall pick them up at Easter.

European sites are way cheaper. Thanks, Brexit
ski holidays
@Harry Flashman, me too! They were classed as refurbished but then clarified that bindings had been fitted to them.... As long as they will go from 316mm to 325mm I'm laughing! Bargain.
snow conditions
They are great skis. Tried some recently and a worthy replacement for my knackered, ancient Whitedot Preachers. I went 184cm though, so may have been overly optimistic in my ability to handle them. My 179 Preachers always felt a touch short for me, though, and the Blade Optics, whilst having metal in them, are heavily rockered.

I ordered some Tyrolia Attack 13 Protector bindings for them at 35% off from Absolute Snow. I went for the heel release protection, having blown out a knee in the park a few years back...I was on Look Pivots, and landed backwards, catching the brakes when the ski flexed, digging in and causing me a big knee injury. Well, it wasn't totally the binding: also a lack of skill and skiing after a very late night...but I thought that a knee protector binding may help in future!

Also a Planks jacket and some bib pants at 70% off, just now. I have some of their gear, and it's overpriced as standard (not gore tex), but nicely made and a bargain at sale prices.

I love a mid season ski sale...
latest report
Falke have some hefty discounts off their posh ski socks, still £VVL but a discount nonetheless.
latest report
Just been into Intersport Briancon and the end of season deals are on!

Some very good deals on Salomon Touring boots 40% off and pretty well 30-40% off everything on there!
latest report
Had an email this morning from Black Crows saying their end of season sale has started. Guessing the conditions have hit their sales hard! 25% off skis and 30% off gear.
snow report
With growing kids I prefer getting second hand gear (ski/poles/slalom protections) during pre-season ski fairs. They even have a lot of new gear (for helmets). Especially good when a racing club offloads its hoard of Lekis!

For clothes or accessories (gloves) however we just get them whenever needed.
latest report
Thomasski wrote:
Had an email this morning from Black Crows saying their end of season sale has started. Guessing the conditions have hit their sales hard! 25% off skis and 30% off gear.

Thanks for the heads up!
Are their clothes worth buying? Looking at hard shell specifically
snow report
scr wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!
Are their clothes worth buying? Looking at hard shell specifically

I don't own one but have tried on a touring shell; nice cut, feels well made and has everything you'd want. The articulation really stood out to me, but this is one of my big tick boxes anyway. If I needed a new shell I'd probably go for it - especially with the discount.
ski holidays
If you're looking for Arcteryx stuff there's an outlet on their site, it's a tab at the top. If you're on their list they sometimes send out a 20% on top voucher. Worth a look as it's just colour rather than model changes that land them in the outlet.

Fashion sites are good as well as they tend to discount deep and they quite often carry higher level ski brands. Try the Outnet, Matches, those sort of places. I got my partner some Salomon skis from Matches reduced from 1000 to 200 quid. They were a fashion collab but still cheap for QSTs. They also regularly send out extra 20% off codes. I got some Holden stuff at 75% off. You really want to be buying skis in August and shorts in December if you want proper bargains. And don't wait till you really need them, that's usually the same time as everyone else really needs the same thing.
ski holidays
damanpunk wrote:

Just a heads up incase anyone else likes the look of Helly Hansen, they've had a sale on for the past while and just this week seem to have added a lot of more current gear to it.

I've bought an Elevation Infinity 3.0 Jacket (current season) for £408 that has an RRP of £680 so there's some good deals to be had!
snow report
I wish you hadn't pointed out that Arcteryx outlet site.....I was hoping my spending urge on outdoor gear had been satisfied. Sighs and reaches for credit card one more time
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy