Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal [Kaltenbach] - Looking for area with easy blue slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow Snowheads,

I am totaly new to this formun and also a ski noob.
We are planning a extended weekend trip to Kaltenbach for skiing. ( 29th of Feb)

Some facts:
- Beginner, 30y old, 15h on snow total
- started skiing few weeks ago, spent 15h on snow in total
- no need for magic carpet etc, surpassed that level
- can do basic parrallel turns, yet not super efficient and need a bit bigger radius
- want to make it enjoyable and not stressful, want to avoid steeper blues until I get full confidence

Questions:
- Which area/slopes to take? I have been skiing on Flumserberg (CH) 2 times, and level of blue slopes is quiet different. There are some (to me) super steep slopes. I want to avoid those and spend some practice time and enjoyment on easier blue slopes.
I was looking at this map https://zillertal.intermaps.com/hochzillertal_spieljoch
- Which ski school would you recommend ? Planned to take an hour or two with trainer to improove my skills

Looking forward for any recommendations! Madeye-Smiley
Thank you ! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chad_user23, welcome to the forum. You might have some luck posting your question to this thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165727&start=0

While I ski Kaltenbach most Saturday's I ski basically the same slope over and over training, so don't actually know the area very well. However @SaraJ teaches in the Hochzillertal and hopefully might be able to answer your question snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chad_user23, I went to Kaltenbach a long time ago (like 30 years!) when I was on my second week of skiing but no more experienced than you as my first week had been so poor! I recall that the blue slopes above Kaltenbach near Zentralstation were perfect for beginners. The beginner runs at Hochfugen were also good.

Hopefully someone who has more recent experience in this area will be able to answer your questions more fully.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never skied at Spieljoch, but of the other areas I'd suggest Blue 5 in Hochzillertal to start with. It's wide and pretty gentle, and served by a couple of drag lifts. You get to it by taking either Hochzillertal gondola (they start in the same building) to the top, then the very gentle Blue 14 down to the bottom of the 2 drags (Zirbenlift 1 and Zirben lift 2). A progression would be to then take the Mizun chair and Blue 6.

After that I'm not so sure. The other blues in Hochzillertal either need you to go via reds to access them (or get back), or are connecting routes that are often busy. Maybe in Hochfugen, start on blue 9, then maybe take the 8er Jet gondola up and blues 11 and 13 using the Waidoffen chair. If taking blues 11 and 13, you'll probably want to take the 8er Jet gondola to get back down to the valley. If you take the Waidoffen chair, you'll probably find the start of the run down to be the steepest part. A gentler alternative could be to take the Achteralm drag (again after using the 8er Jet gondola up and then back down).

Be aware that the piste numbering is a bit weird. Each of Hochzillertal, Hochfugen and Spieljoch number their pistes starting from number 1. Also, in Hochzillertal they may use the same number for parts of the piste with different difficulties - e.g. there's a blue 6, red 6 and black 6
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@viv, thank you for your recommendations!
It was great.
Writing it here for any reader in the future:

Was staying in Kaltenbach, took Hockzillerthal gondola 3.

1) This gives you access to the blue slope n14. This was the easiest slope. It has magic carpet and t-bar lift.
2) Blope 5 is the next one in progressions. It is nice and wide, just try to go there in the morning. After 13h it becomes so bumpy.
3) Blue 6 is much longer and real enjoyment in the morning. It degradaes pretty quickly. Lot of bumps in some sections can be challenging for total beginners. I used it later for traninig my skills.

At the end, I used blue Z to come back to the central station.

All in all amazing destination, would recommend to anyone.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy