Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver Practice

Poster: A snowHead
Every season we make an effort to go into the transceiver training park. Well this morning was that session in an overcast and extremely quiet Mürren. Everyone who has been out with a guide or done some basic training is told "practice, practice, practice"!
This advice is extremely good, on a scale of 10 I gave myself a 2 on my first effort. Woeful probably sums it up accurately.
I have owned a transceiver for close to 20 years and used them each season. We all imagine that it's like riding a bike and couldn't possibly loose the knack.
Be honest.....go out there to one of the many training parks across the Alps put yourself to the test!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only places we've found training areas have been in North America.
We used to use the training space in Tignes when it was down by the lake in Le Lac but it seems to have gone now, and we've not found any elsewhere in Europe. But I've not looked really hard.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only seen one training park in my life. Although as with @gixxerniknik, its not something I look hard for. I would like to see more resorts put them in and make them obvious i.e. marked on piste maps. But I can understand it's a pretty low priority, in my season at Red Mountain I only saw a handful of people ever use it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gixxerniknik, we used on in Siviez (4 Valleys, Switzerland) last season as part of our Mountain Safety module for instructor training. I think there's also one in Verbier as well.

I also believe we have one in the Zillertal valley here in Hochfugen.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is quite possible that the greatest concentration of the practice areas is Switzerland, Mammut sponsored/provided.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, Yep... It's opposite the 8erAlm in Hochfügen. Our ski school, SkiCheck, look after it so if one of our instructors/guides is there with a group, please go for a ski and come back in an hour. Otherwise it's free to use. Press the Start button, wait 2 mins. and it's good to go.
And,
Quote:

Everyone who has been out with a guide or done some basic training is told "practice, practice, practice

Exactly!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gixxerniknik, that would be another thing you missed in Serre Chevalier then Laughing

Actually I always forget about it there...

DVA Park
Taste the pleasure of controlled freeride thanks to the use of DVA beacons (Avalanche Victim Detectors)!

Discover an activity that is both fun and educational and will appeal to all snow sports fans, particularly Freeride skiers and off-piste enthusiasts.

This space, located on the Monêtier site, near the arrival of the Bachas chairlift, is freely accessible and allows you to learn how to use the DVA beacons made available to you for tests and scenarios.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, ….Grom2 did his first full avalanche training day 1:1 with a great guide who came over from Verbier - and then they went into the Faverges for a day … pits, steep and reasonably deep, crust - just about everything. And re beacon practice - at the multiple burial practice the Grom managed to save two beacons but one died. Very sad face.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, That's why we missed it then...we went down to Monêtier just the once, conditions low down were pretty awful so didn't go down there again!

Actually we've had great fun practicing with the transceivers when we've done it and generally look for somewhere to play. Most of the practice areas have been in NA though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm surprised by the number of people never having noticed them, as I've been aware of them in many resorts for quite a few years. Maybe it's just that we had one when we were living in Engelberg and that there's one just across from us here at les Crosets, so I've mentally extrapolated from those.

A quick search shows quite a few around though, one at la Plagne, one at Serr Che, one at (or near) Chamonix and a whole raft of them across Switzerland https://www.mammut.com/ch/de/support/product-support/barryvox/avalanche-training so maybe the number of Swiss ones are what made me think they were everywhere.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Weathercam, That's why we missed it then...we went down to Monêtier just the once, conditions low down were pretty awful so didn't go down there again!

Actually we've had great fun practicing with the transceivers when we've done it and generally look for somewhere to play. Most of the practice areas have been in NA though.

It's at the top of Bachas not down at village level.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apparently 5 in Chamonix - though I've only used 2 (Flegere and Grands Montets).

https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/training-courses/avalanche-search-practice#
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well guys, it's not very well advertised, it's not even mentioned on this page...https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/ski-area/pleasures-snow-sports-safety/avalanche-transceiver-checkpoints
I can't see anything on the piste map, but there's no key to the one I've got so it's not surprising.

We found the transciever check points but that's not the same thing.

A quick search brings up La Rosiere, La Plagne, Chamonix but nothing in Serre Che. It is mentioned here though...https://triptipper.com/tips/serre-chevalier and I have found mention on the French language site.

Next time I go to Serre Che, and there will be a next time I hope, I'll look harder!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gixxerniknik, aaaahhhhh that would be the normal Serre Che website bollox designed to confuse the best Laughing

Meanwhile on the French site Toofy Grin

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/domaine-skiable/plaisir-glisse-toute-securite/infos-dva-ateliers-sensibilisation
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out this Google maps for Ortovox test parks/check sites
(looks like it was originally created 2009 so not sure how accurate it is)

https://goo.gl/maps/vDLX4KCw65pcNk1U8
snow conditions
After you’ve played with the shiny toys, how much time does anyone devote to digging practice?

The difference between good and bad digging is, IME, much greater than the difference between good and bad transceiver usage.

Well worth trying to shift a cubic meter of compacted snow sometime. It’s tough.

E.g.
http://youtube.com/v/_RbkdK3aXis?si=lE4ldXBlzvBOR9ov
latest report
Zinal in Valais has one….

https://www.valdanniviers.ch/en/P115152/things-to-see-and-do/mammut-avalanche-training-center-in-sorebois
latest report
Quote:

how much time does anyone devote to digging practice?

On a recent course in Chamonix, six of us dug down to the bottom of a probe 180cm down - working absolutely flat out (and not through debris, although lower down was pretty compacted) it took us 10 minutes, which was pretty sobering.

On transceiver practice, a couple of years ago there was a good park at the top of the Transarc in Les Arcs, which I assume is still there. One was being set up in Courchevel last winter (not sure if it's still there), and there is one marked up on Rendl in St Anton (although I went through that one last month and there was nothing transmitting).
ski holidays
Samoens in the Grand Massif has one.
snow report
I believe there is one in VT, next to the green/fun park run that cuts from the top of 2 Lacs down to Stade. But because it's just a "DVA Park" legend on a piste map I don't think people notice it. Need to make an effort to give it a go during the EoSB
snow report
We used one near Der Wolf restaurant at the top of the Petersboden lift in Lech - unfortunately it was right by the piste, and half the skiers passing us (and in the restaurant) had their transceivers on, which made for quite challenging searching Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Over the years I have explained to many people my fear of a deep burial scenario.@snowdave,
Is absolutely correct, 1m depth of cover is frightening. I vividly recall a young guide saying that to remove somebody at 1m depth the digging team will shift 4 metres cubed of snow.
We have done some digging practice at Swiss alpine club training days. Generally the instructor or guide will suggest you hold your breath whilst digging..... that's what your friend is doing buried down there!
latest report
@Rogerdodger, Indeed.... And when you realise that 1 cubi metre of snow weighs about a ton (1000kg) that is a frightening prospect.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, That's a good idea, I'd be up for some practice on the trip
snow report
hamilton wrote:
@Rogerdodger, Indeed.... And when you realise that 1 cubi metre of snow weighs about a ton (1000kg) that is a frightening prospect.

It's not light but not that heavy as a tonne. 1m³ of water is 1tonne.

fresh 50 – 150 kg/m³
settled 200 – 300 kg/m³
wind-packed 350 – 400 kg/m³
wet & slushy 400 – 830 kg/m³
ice 830 – 920 kg/m³
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy