Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Recommendatuin that no one mentions

Poster: A snowHead
One of the most asked questions are typically around boot fitting, especially for those with wide feet, "fat" calfs etc

Custom boot (I have had those) are in my opinion just a bit of a gimmick, they take a shell or lining and make small adjustment but it won't solve the problem of white feet or phat calfs.

I have been using Dahu Boot for several year after ditching Salomon 3D custom fit boots. Because they are designed to be a normal fit boot that goes into a shell, they accommodate calfs and wider feet.

I have no suffered from cold feet ever since.

I dusted my old Salomon boot for a test a few weekends ago on a sunny day in 5 degrees, halfway through the day, my toes were freezing.

you can get Dahu in the sale on Sportpursuit or privatesportshop.co.uk.

Ditch those crappy plastic boots and get yourself some Dahu boots. You can thank me later,

https://skidahu.ch
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So buying Dahu boots mail order from Sportpursuit without trying them on is better than gimmicky custom boots fitted in person, by a trained and experienced fitter?

Quick, take my money... rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just another spammer......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't be so hasty, I mean they say.....“Sliding into a DAHU boot is easier than any other boot on the market, period.”

With that use of "period." I'm convinced!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Custom fitting won't solve the problem of white feet and fat calves?

Well my OH had both problems (wide and low calves) and now skis in comfort with her low cuff punched Salomons, I'll tell her she's lying.

What are your sales figures looking like?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-02-24 12:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:

That is a bit unfair -- low post account, but has been on forum for a number of years...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feel free to insult me as spammer.

I have been a long time reader of advice here and have made little effort to contribute.

If you dont like the advice, please move on.

I am very happy with my Dahu ski boots and those around me who bought one, some French resorts hire them out.

Custom boots are fine but hugely overrated as a solution to a problem caused but the inherent design in the first place.

Little innovation besides custom moulding and now BOA fastening in this industry.

Dahu and Apex have brought something new to the market, you don't have to buy it. Just don't be a smart a££ about an option you have enabler tried

its less than half price on sportpusuit and you can send it back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
zikomo wrote:

That is a bit unfair -- low post account, but has been on forum for a number of years...

Thanks. My attempt to go from just taking free advice without contributing seems to have backfired.

I will crawl back to my hole.

I learnt to ski later in life and have skied in over 15-20 resorts for about 3-4x per year (this season its pretty much every 2 weeks), I thought I had something worth contributing....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it's a bit unfair to be labelled a spammer when the correct term is fanboy!

I've never heard of this boot before. Damn expensive full price but they are rather niche and probably have tiny sales volume.

Nice to see some innovation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
t44tomo wrote:
Don't be so hasty, I mean they say.....“Sliding into a DAHU boot is easier than any other boot on the market, period.”

It is effectively a boot that fits into a shell.

The downside is carrying the shell around or fitting them, the "slide" takes some effort. The experience is close to that of a snow boarder, you have boots to drive (I drive in them) and walk around, dance on tables, while I leave the shell next to my skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayroc2k wrote:
albob wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Thanks. My attempt to go from just taking free advice without contributing seems to have backfired.

I will crawl back to my hole.

I learnt to ski later in life and have skied in over 15-20 resorts for about 3-4x per year (this season its pretty much every 2 weeks), I thought I had something worth contributing....

Unfortunately Zikomo wants a full and frank breakdown of why you love them, why you prefer them to other boots, what previous experiences you have had, doctors certificates, documents proving your independence and a detailed clause confirming that your views are you own and may not be in line with others experiences.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
t44tomo wrote:

I gotta say I do hate the Americanisms you see like this. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Legend. wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

I gotta say I do hate the Americanisms you see like this. Laughing
Very good. (I assume the irony was intentional.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayroc2k wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

The downside is carrying the shell around or fitting them, the "slide" takes some effort. The experience is close to that of a snow boarder, you have boots to drive (I drive in them) and walk around, dance on tables, while I leave the shell next to my skis.

I don't see how anything that calls itself 'plush and comfortable' can ever perform as well as a normal hardshell boot, I ski Atomic XTD130's with Zipfits and they perform amazingly well for a hybrid boot, but there's absolutely no 'plushness' at all. These Dahu boots state that they have a 'perception of precision' which says to me, they feel better than you'd expect, but they're not performance boots.

I'm always turned off by suspicious wording and 'this is the bestest in the world' marketing; though I'd try some if they were plonked in front of me...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My knees are so knackered I can hardly walk in "normal" ski boots, it just hurts so much no matter how I take a step. These Dahu things look like a great idea. But looking at them, I don't think I could fit my Mojos onto them.
And £649...phew!
ski holidays
There is nothing really wrong with the Dahu boot really. But to suggest it is the ONLY option is just silly. For gentle cruising on easy slopes they work ok. But you give up a lot in performance. And a good boot fitter can get to a better outcome in almost all cases.

My issue is not that the OP likes his Dahu boots. Nor that they work for a small number of skiers with challenging feet/calves. But that post was so unbalanced and rejected all other possibilities. I genuinely thought he was trying to sell something!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-02-24 15:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
having tested both Apex and Dahu boots there is a pretty good reason that very few (if any) boot fitters actually stock them
snow conditions
Well this is the first time I've seen them! It's an interesting concept that needs further investigation, so thanks @jayroc2k.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
having tested both Apex and Dahu boots there is a pretty good reason that very few (if any) boot fitters actually stock them

it kills their "value add" in spending 1 hours on fitting. The only reason stores can draw in customers if due to fitting. With Apex and Dahu you can buy simply buy it online.

No turkey votes for Christmas.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
There is nothing really wrong with the Dahu boot really. But to suggest it is the ONLY option is just silly. For gentle cruising on easy slopes they work ok. But you give up a lot in performance. And a good boot fitter can get to a better outcome in almost all cases.

My issue is not that the OP likes his Dahu boots. Nor that they work for a small number of skiers with challenging feet/calves. But that post was so unbalanced and rejected all other possibilities. I genuinely thought he was trying to sell something!

Where did I suggest it as th only option?

I specifically referred to people with wide feet and phat calves struggling with conventional boots.

I simply point out an alternatives, I was not inviting undue attention for simply voicing there there are options beyond custom fit boots.
latest report
Thomasski wrote:
jayroc2k wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

I don't see how anything that calls itself 'plush and comfortable' can ever perform as well as a normal hardshell boot, I ski Atomic XTD130's with Zipfits and they perform amazingly well for a hybrid boot, but there's absolutely no 'plushness' at all. These Dahu boots state that they have a 'perception of precision' which says to me, they feel better than you'd expect, but they're not performance boots.

I'm always turned off by suspicious wording and 'this is the bestest in the world' marketing; though I'd try some if they were plonked in front of me...

I agree on overly plush marketing but every manufacturer has nausea inducing marketing, from Nordica to Salomon to Black Crows.

Each year they change the colour and ever so slightly change the amount of wood to composite ratio and then market it as revolutionary new technology.

as for the Atomic XTD130, this is a freeride and ski compromise. Slightly different proposition.

Dahu is a comfort and ski compromise

I won't recommend Dahu to hardcore enthusiast as the ability to tighten the shell until your feet lost blood flow is limited. However, top reviewers have recommended Apex to enthusiast over Dahu.

That said, Dahu is not targeting hardcore free riding and off piste skiers. but I would hazard a guess and say they cover the remaining 70% to 80% of skiers who ski on piste and do not need aggressive kit.

Its just one option out of many.

The right gear for the right crowd.

Bit surprised that a simple boot recommendation rouses so much emotion.

At the end of the day, its just gear.
ski holidays
jayroc2k wrote:

Custom boot (I have had those) are in my opinion just a bit of a gimmick, they take a shell or lining and make small adjustment but it won't solve the problem of white feet or phat calfs.

Ditch those crappy plastic boots and get yourself some Dahu boots. You can thank me later,

https://skidahu.ch

I think that you did indeed suggest there was no alternative. And to boot (sic) suggested that boot fitters are offering a "gimmick" service.
ski holidays
jayroc2k wrote:
CEM wrote:

it kills their "value add" in spending 1 hours on fitting. The only reason stores can draw in customers if due to fitting. With Apex and Dahu you can buy simply buy it online.

No turkey votes for Christmas.

nope, nothing to do with that, the biggest issue is the transmission of pressure/power to the ski (in a boot sole length longer than normal due to the way they are bullt) the next issue is they are not really modifiable to any great extent, so if your feet happened to come oout of the same mould that they did then crack on, but if they don't fit out the box there is a lot less that you can do to them than a more "traditional" boot

i notice your reason for thinking them so great is you have wide feet and big calves, that is bread and butter for a boot fitter, modifying boots for thee areas is simple, it really just highlights that you have never visited a boot fitter in your life, you appear to have been going to boot sellers who do not have the skills or the tools to adjust a boot

the 3D custom shell boot you had is just a marketing name, its the fitter that make the boot custom not some fancy plastic and marketing BS
latest report
the 3D custom shell boot you had is just a marketing name, its the fitter that make the boot custom not some fancy plastic and marketing BS[/quote]

I get your point, I have gone the full 9 yards with a hands on custom boot fitting, throwing good money at the problem.

As a person who has spent a few pennies on ski gear and will continue to do so (few boots, multiple skis, garments and a shameful amount of money on gloves), the only item I bought and have never looked back are the Dahu boots, hence I may have come across a little to passionate and almost spam like in my original post.

I am just sharing my experience and the experiences of those around me whom I have pointed towards Dahu and also are extremely happy.

There is something geeky that appeals a lot to me about custom fit process and watching an expert at their craft, and it also appeals especially to a lot of folk. But is a solution to a problem that needs its own innovation to solve and not just a bandaid at the fitting stage.

I think we will all agree that ski boots are the item that draws the most complaints and least satisfatction regardless of money spent trying to solve it.

For starters, sitting in a warm store, nice and cozy store is not representative of the actual use case of the ski boots. Some alpine resort shops now allow you to try the fit for a day or two and come back for a re-fit, this is where custom fit comes into its own.... but too many people won't pay MRP that these alpine shops charge for their products (no discounting) and miss out on this true custom fit advantage (the next day re-fit)

That's is all from me on this thread.

I'm out.
ski holidays
jayroc2k wrote:
I think we will all agree that ski boots are the item that draws the most complaints and least satisfatction regardless of money spent trying to solve it.

For starters, sitting in a warm store, nice and cozy store is not representative of the actual use case of the ski boots. Some alpine resort shops now allow you to try the fit for a day or two and come back for a re-fit, this is where custom fit comes into its own.... but too many people won't pay MRP that these alpine shops charge for their products (no discounting) and miss out on this true custom fit advantage (the next day re-fit)

FWIW I totally agree that boot fitting in a shop can only go so far; it would be pretty complicated to recreate temperatures, forces and movements we subject them to over a days skiing. Maybe a Skiers Edge in a walk-in freezer? Smile
The Dahu boots certainly have their place if they fit you well. I'm glad you've found happiness with them.
snow report
@jayroc2k, I think you have just had poor boot fitting experiences. Sounds like you were sold on some "custom" boots from a shop that did not have much expertise.

Ski boots from the best boot fitters are a cause for celebration and compliments, rather than complaints. If you spend the time and money with a real expert you will get a quality outcome. If you choose to gamble on any old store you might not.

The other factor is what you want out of your boots. If you want performance there will inevitably be some compromise on comfort, the boots should not be painful but they should for sure be a very firm fit. Another area where a good boot fitter (and good feedback form the client) is vital. I use a different set of boots for teaching beginners in the spring sunshine that when I am skiing with advanced clients on piste, and different boots again when off-piste.
snow conditions
Thomasski wrote:

The Dahu boots certainly have their place...

Really? I've never understood what their place should be. The whole concept of boot in skeleton sounds dangly bits to me. At least when it comes to skiing. Puzzled
snow report
Tristero wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

Really? I've never understood what their place should be. The whole concept of boot in skeleton sounds dangly bits to me. At least when it comes to skiing. Puzzled

Some people aren't after performance, I'd say these boots look ideal for someone your average family skier, cruising a few greens in the morning before picking the kids up. I've not tried any or even seen them in the flesh so can't comment further than speculation and knowing how snowboard boots feel...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thomasski, I've seen them in Flachau ...reduced to clear
ski holidays
Problem is that Apex are utter shite so I struggle to believe Dahu are that much better that they fix all the performance flaws.
snow conditions
Tristero wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

You may struggle to see their place but the OP clearly does not, so they must have one.
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
Tristero wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

You may struggle to see their place but the OP clearly does not, so they must have one.

Maybe he sells them? Blush
snow report
Very funny folks.

Yes I own one, got my mates to buy one too.

All from sportspursuit as I think the company struggled to sell its stock during covid and dropped the price massively on SP.

They are now under new management and have thrust themselves into high end market to match people’s Moncler outfits.

Once this batch is sold, I don’t think you will see them on SP for a while.

Personally I think you have to be a nuts to buy Moncler but I have no right to question anyone.

To some, buying Moncler is like walking into Zara for flip flops.

Each other own.
ski holidays
so at the uk ski industry test in january we had a test for boots as well as skis, Dahu were there, boots on a rack and the guys stood around and didn't engage with anyone all week, one of them would walk into the tent put their own boot on to try and convince people but not say anything, it was almost like they didn't want to sell their product, as a result they were the least tested brand at the test, anyone that did try their product kept it on for 1 maybe 2 runs and returned it a few tried it on and didn't even leave the tent (that tells a lot)

if it works for you great, but please don't see it as the only solution
ski holidays
jayroc2k wrote:

Zikomo is very good at insults and very little else as he's none too bright.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
jayroc2k wrote:

Zikomo is very good at insults and very little else as he's none too bright.

Ironic. Inaccurate too. But mostly ironic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy