Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile to La Rosiere with a 9 & 11 year old?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My children are going on a school ski trip to La Thuile. We are then flying out to La Thuile, to collect them. We will then transfer across and continue skiing for a week as a family at Club Med La Rosiere.

We have booked a transfer between resorts, but the Petite St. Bernard’s Pass is shut. So transfer has to go the long way.

My question is. I know you can ski from one to the other. But I’m trying to figure out difficulty of slopes from La Thuile to La Rosiere? What colour runs are they? What lifts would we need to get?

My son (11) is a confident skier (skied since 2yo). My daughter (9) is a great skier too but dislikes black runs.

I’m wondering if the transfer could take our baggage and we ski across! The transfer is much longer than skiing it!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CGS1984, welcome to Snowheads.

It is a little while since I was there, but I don't recall the runs being anything other than blues or easy reds. Perfectly doable in decent weather. BUT.... it isn't always decent weather, the top is prone to pretty nasty winds. It is pretty common for the winds to be so bad some of the lifts have to close, in which case the connection can't be done anyway, but even if they are open you would need to make a judgement about whether it was something to take a couple of kids on given it would be the first time for all of you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Completely with agree with j b.
Lovely ski over if weather is fine - horrible if windy and cloudy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. The bad winds do not sound fun! So that’s definitely something to consider. I want it to be fun, not a chore!

We ski at a different location every year with them, so are used to unknown runs on the first few days. As a family, it’s difficult to get the chance to scope out a run, before all doing it. As we are all together. We generally opt for less tricky runs, and trial new ones as the week passes.

We arrive in La Thuile a day before collecting them, so perhaps my husband and I will try it first. Plus look at the forecast for the following day. Then make a decision whether the transfer is taking just the luggage or us all!

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you all own your own skis? Otherwise I can’t work out how you will drop the skis back at the end?

The other thing to be aware of is that the link between the two resorts is sometimes shut after heavy snowfall or high winds so you would not be able to guarantee skiing over until the day itself.

In terms of the skiing if your children have skied for a few weeks and can ski easier reds they will be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The route between the two can be done mostly on fairly easy runs. From your description of your children's skiing, I'd say they'd be happy with it as long as (as others have said) the conditions aren't horrible. The blue runs over the pass have some fairly flat sections that can be a pain for snowboarders or in poor visibility, when you can't see ahead to know when to keep your speed up. There are long drag lifts too, but only in the opposite direction (La Rosiere to La Thuile). Sounds like a great adventure if you can make it work!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were in La Rosiere a few weeks ago. You'll have no problem skiing from La Thuille to La Rosiere with those levels of ability. All the runs linking the resorts are blues or easy reds, and you'll want to venture across to La Thuille from La Rosiere anyway as there isn't enough skiing on the La Rosiere side to keep you occupied for a whole week. The hardest run you'll have to ski is the red linking the fort to the drag lift that takes you into italy when you ski from La Rosiere to La Thuile. Its not a hard run but can get a bit moguly or icy as it's small and well used. The other hard part is the first drag lift that takes you into Italy. Its not hard, just very long.

We happily skied over to Italy from La Rosiere and back a couple of times with a 6 year old who has done 3 weeks on skis and snow ploughs eveywhere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all so much! Sounds like it could be a fun adventure.

We have the option to ski, or go by transfer, as the transfer will be driving the luggage anyway. So fingers crossed for good weather!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CGS1984, I think you would be able to make an informed decision if you had explored the route the previous day. Good idea!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cancel the Club Med and have your holiday in La Thuile , it’s much nicer than La Rosiere less busy with better skiing , the food is better and it’s cheaper , nice hotels also
The ski over is easy and simple cruising blues only .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rob Mackley, in your opinion. I prefer La rosiere as a village, French food and speaking French. The ski schools in La rosiere are also good. We self cater but have done club med summer holidays and my kids love them. The club med in la rosiere is newish and well located. It is true that the runs are quieter in La Thuile but intermediates can easily access the Italian skiing from the French side.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy