Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai Glacier accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I skied the Stubai Glacier for a day in January this year and it was really excellent, far more extensive and varied than I expected.

As a result I considering taking my 11 year old son there for a week Feb half term next week, I'm expecting him to be capable of skiing all of it apart from the handful of black runs and the off piste routes, so there will be loads to do.

The downside I can see is the very busy bus service from the local villages that my son will hate.

The options in my mind are:
- stay in the Dresdner hutte or similar (not sure if this is possible or realistic)
- find accommodation relatively close to Stubai that will include daily minibus transfer (or similar) to the Stubai carpark.
- stay in Fulpmes close to the bus stop and buy the Innsbruck city pass then we can choose between Schlick 2000 or Stubai each day (or one of the other city pass resorts) and get the bus hoping that we can catch it early enough in it's route to get my son a comfortable seat.

Does anyone have any advice as to if any of this is sensible or if there are better options?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you don't mind the bus ride, then stay in Innsbruck & take your pick of several resorts each day on the free buses, including above Innsbruck? Axama Lizum is one of those options.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stubai is a fair way from Innsbruck, if that is your main focus stay in Neustift or closer. I would have thought better options than a glacier? Zillertal not far away, places there with no bus needed. What about See in Paznauntal if you want somewhere small or Hochötz or Kühtai?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gored, I stayed in Innsbruck in Jan and did 7 resorts in 7 days by bus (there is a trip report on here) but I don’t think my 11 year old could handle the daily travelling on the bus because it’s pretty full on
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, thanks for the advice I have skied Kuhtai and Hochotz and preferred Stubai but I’ll check out the others

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 1-03-24 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Henwc, have a look at Kaltenbach or Hochfügen in the Zillertal, very easy from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a hotel at Stubai itself – the Alpen Sport Hotel by the second car park, near the smaller bubble. You would not need a bus from there, but it is also the only après bar and recognisable from the banging choons you can hear on the way down the home run.

I would probably also look at Zillertal. I’m sure it’s a bit nicer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, I’m sure I stayed in that hotel back in 1989. It was excellent with a great swimming pool if I remember correctly. Very convenient for skiing and apres too. Great memories. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, Isn't
Isnt it usually booked out by university ski teams?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gored, I have no idea.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can recommend the Dresdner Hútte. Got snowed in there for two days in July a few years ago while doing the Stubaier Höhenweg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy