Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easter snow...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all... we took our kids for their first ever (non dry slope!) skiing in the Jura over Christmas and they absolutely loved it - despite the snow conditions being appalling. So we're thinking of booking a last minute Easter week skiing in France starting 22nd March. We would be driving over and wouldn't need lessons. A couple of questions:

1) I know about Sunwebski but are there any other budget websites I should be looking at?

2) If the base is there and low temperatures are forecast for the week is it legit to book a lower altitude resort? or will it still be a slushy nightmare?

3) I'm thinking of booking the chunnel or ferries now. Then how last minute do you guys leave it when booking accommodation and passes for Easter? days, a week?

Any help or advice gratefully received..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends a little on how last minute you're willing to risk it - the closer you are, then the better idea you have about conditions, and can pick and choose a resort that has good conditions (and the forecast looks healthy) including those at lower altitudes. Also the 22nd March is a bit earlier than the traditional easter ski break, which will open up more options.

We tend to book early for our easter trip, so will tend to go higher to mimimise the risk (so our last few Easter trips have been Val Thorens, Belle Plagne, Arc 1950) - booking early also gives you first dips on the better apartments (if you choose to go down the self catered airbnb type route). They'll always be decent availability, but in the higher resorts the better stuff will go earlier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@carvington, check out Airbnb, Vrbo and local tourist offices for apartments. You'll likely find something reasonable.

Personally if I was going to France i'd pick Tignes at that time of the year. I just really like it there
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks both, but @swskier the lift passes seem crazy expensive unless you go through a broker like Sunweb
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowtrex also worth checking on the sunweb "all-in" model
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@carvington, you can book a tunnel crossing now, a little more expensive but book the one you can cancel if needed.

Have done similar to you in past, just booked an apartment via tourist office (Les Arcs) and self-catered. Got a slight reduction on lift passes as well.

We've just booked up for that week as well
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anecdotal but 2 years ago we booked for Arc 1950 just 10 days before. Plenty of apartments available on Vrbo, Booking.com and AirBnb.
Unfortunately, flexi chunnel crossings are not 'a little more expensive'! I'd book that first and then work around that. You will find accomodation that week.
These aren't the 'inc ski pass' packages you're looking for though. You could save a bit by booking local area rather than whole area passes if you're unlilely to get full use out of a whole area pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks everyone
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carvington,
You don't give much info on things like accommodation style, number of days skiing, budget, kit hire requirements etc. But you should be looking at lessons.
Try peakretreats.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philhitch, FlexiPlus are indeed a lot more expensive, however there is a Standard Refundable which is usually only £30 -£50 more which allows full cancellation and refund up to a few days before travel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for peak retreats whose prices include channel flexiplus. They also do packages with the ferry at a lower cost. I’d definitely go to Montgenevre as it is good value all round and ideal for families. It also has a very good snow depth this year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carvington wrote:
Hi all... we took our kids for their first ever (non dry slope!) skiing in the Jura over Christmas and they absolutely loved it - despite the snow conditions being appalling. So we're thinking of booking a last minute Easter week skiing in France starting 22nd March. We would be driving over and wouldn't need lessons. A couple of questions:

1) I know about Sunwebski but are there any other budget websites I should be looking at?

2) If the base is there and low temperatures are forecast for the week is it legit to book a lower altitude resort? or will it still be a slushy nightmare?

3) I'm thinking of booking the chunnel or ferries now. Then how last minute do you guys leave it when booking accommodation and passes for Easter? days, a week?

Any help or advice gratefully received..

I think a lot depends on exactly what you mean by low altitude and what you particularly want. I

In over 20 years of skiing at Easter I have never booked a high altitude resort though a lot have had access to high altitude skiing.
Personally I would be very happy with a mid altitude resort with decent North facing skiing.
I have had great skiing in the Maurienne valley at Easter whose prices are a lot cheaper than most high altitude resorts. Though you can access Val Thorens if you are in Orelle.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@carvington, accommodation will be much easier if you do a standard Sat/Sat (or Sun/Sun in some places) week. I think if you are flexible that you could afford to wait a bit to book accommodation. But obviously the higher altitude places are going to be the lowest risk!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks I've emailed peakretreats. We are after budget, as cheap as possible. Would Flaine fit the bill in terms of North facing and mid altitude? It's a relatively short drive which is attractive to us..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@carvington, yes Flaine would be good if you want a shorter drive. It has a lot of snow on the higher slopes.

You could also look at chalet des cimes in Les Saisies.
ski holidays
IME if you want the cheapest accommodation go direct to an agency.

I've used Agence des Alpes for Les Menuires and GSI for Les Coches in recent times. Best prices on apartments and often discounted lift passes.

Standard tunnel tickets are still amendable and valid up to a year - if you know you will go over again soonish - rather than paying extra for a refundable ticket.

Don't write off staying at stations at a lower elevation. As long as you have access to skiing at a good altitude via lifts it's no hardship to stay there. Thinking the likes of St Martin, La Tania in the 3V or Les Coches for example.
snow report
Les Saisies would suit you well in terms of easy skiing available - and you'd be pretty certain to have better snow than you had at Christmas in the Jura. Though not as good as Tignes! For cheaper apartments try the resort website. The Chalet des Cimes is pretty "high end" I think, as are all the (very nice) places on the Peak Retreats site.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy