Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paying autoroute tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For years now paying autoroute tolls has been simple in France. You turn up at the booth, collect a ticket then stop at the extit booth insert a ticket and (now) wave your debit card at the machine and proceed. Normally, try and do this without stopping on entry and it takes, perhaps 30 seconds on exit, but a friend was telling me last week that this has changed a bit recently and become more effiecient. He was driving from Chambery to Geneva and panicked when he thought he'd somehow missed collecting a ticket on entering the autoroute at Chambery. When he got to the exit toll booth he was really worried and called the help button, but was told that it was no problem. He was told the registration number of his car (Swiss), the time he entered the autoroute and the amount he had to pay. He is of the opinion that the system has changed and now on that section of autoroute you don't collect a ticket on entry and simply wave your card at the machine on exit. Has anyone else encountered this or is the number plate recognition system only applied when for some reason the issuing barriers are not working?

I'm just wondering if the whole system will move to that employed in the UK using numberplate recognition and the subsequent problems with numberplate cloning.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We got tickets on entry and paid by debit card on exit for every toll booth from calais to Modane in February half term.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a couple of random tolls I'm aware of, where you just pay at "exit". There's one on the A432 around Lyon which has no entry but you just pay a small amount as you go through.

Otherwise from Calais to Albertville they were all entry and exit - using Telepeage tag
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, we've driven many times and for the first time in Jan we arrived at a gate expecting to pick up a ticket, but it asked for payment, which really threw us. We were a bit bemused but one of the many scenarios we pondered was about number plate recognition. We were in a swiss hire car.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, Where was this?

I do recall driving a fairly substantial section of autoroute near Metz without collecting a ticket then simply paying a fixed sum further down the road, (a long way down the road) but I've done that section from Chambery to Geneva a lot and cannot remember only paying at the end (OK, the last time was almost a year ago)

(I must cut down my use of parentheses)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, I'm not completely sure - we were driving from Valloire to Geneva, and we were on the 2nd part of the journey. So it was no doubt on the A41 but not quite sure where.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm pretty sure Aosta valley is like that?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A quick Google around SANEF etc and there are two types of toll:

1. Variable based on distance travelled - requires entry and exit ticket, lose ticket you will pay the highest price based on furthest entry point.

2. Fixed Price - you pay for using a particular stretch of road/bridge/tunnel - pay point only, no entry point
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Aosta valley is like that?

The first time I used this autostrada I paid with my UK debit card and realised that I'd paid a number of small euro transactions of only 2 or 3 euros but my bank helped itself to a pound each time as well. Needless to say I since changed my bank.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick search found this article

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/Practical/Transport/Car-plate-recognition-replacing-France-s-slow-motorway-toll-barrier

AREA who operate the A41 may be introducing it at some point but no mention is made of only exit barriers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
For years now paying autoroute tolls has been simple in France. You turn up at the booth, collect a ticket then stop at the extit booth insert a ticket and (now) wave your debit card at the machine and proceed. Normally, try and do this without stopping on entry and it takes, perhaps 30 seconds on exit, but a friend was telling me last week that this has changed a bit recently and become more effiecient. He was driving from Chambery to Geneva and panicked when he thought he'd somehow missed collecting a ticket on entering the autoroute at Chambery. When he got to the exit toll booth he was really worried and called the help button, but was told that it was no problem. He was told the registration number of his car (Swiss), the time he entered the autoroute and the amount he had to pay. He is of the opinion that the system has changed and now on that section of autoroute you don't collect a ticket on entry and simply wave your card at the machine on exit. Has anyone else encountered this or is the number plate recognition system only applied when for some reason the issuing barriers are not working?

I'm just wondering if the whole system will move to that employed in the UK using numberplate recognition and the subsequent problems with numberplate cloning.

johnE - I've found the same, entered autoroute at Chambery with no ticket (and didn't pass through a toll booth) and the exit toll booth at Annecy showed the required payment. I thought it odd at the time thinking I'd lost the ticket as I approached Annecy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think there's a pilot program in place right now, so when you get on the A40 from one of the entry ramps around Bonneville or Cluses (can't remember which one), it flashes your plate, then when you leave the highway it just tells you what you owe.

This is progress, I think. We have a telepeage doofer so don't worry about it, but anything to reduce delays at tollboths is great.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pasigal, There are no tickets on that stretch of the A40 right now, you just pay at Nangy and Cluses.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy