Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tech - garmin vs apple

Poster: A snowHead
Been following Ray for quite some time. His take on some wearable ski tech:

http://youtube.com/v/hELwHn8Fjyw?si=PEQ8qyIi9KNKDBL2
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And the winner is?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use both depending on what I remember to put on, and I’d agree with his conclusions - although I’ve had some issues with Slopes on Apple Watch refusing to start (I think it may be the GPS it struggles to start). Garmin is pretty flawless, but as he says you don’t have as much to pore over afterwards.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
And the winner is?

Those who use none and enjoy the scenery NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mooney058, +1 I’ve personally never seen the point
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
@mooney058, +1 I’ve personally never seen the point

+2. Same for Go Pro's.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good for navigation/seeing where you’ve been on a map if you’re out touring. Not bothered about the other stats unless there’s a particularly gruelling exit I want to boast about in the apres bar Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, I was given a Gopro, used it on 1 holiday & now leave it at home!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I do stuff most days in a season, and I'm getting on, so useful to know where the body is at.....

Piste skiing have it on purely for recording a diary event.

Ski touring use it to see what level I'm working at and to look back at a route should I need to and overall stats as to how rigourous or not it was, as I'm the one usually breaking trail not following a guide Toofy Grin

Cross Country skiing is where it really helps as it shows how well or not I'm progressing.

Then there are all the other metrics such as HRV and a whole load of other stuff, but if you don't know what that is (HRV) then you'll not appreciate why it's of use to people like me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, yup bought a GoPro years ago, used it once and didn't see the point, still in a drawer with a boat full of extras, I'd rather ski than faff Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mooney058 wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
And the winner is?

Those who use none and enjoy the scenery NehNeh

I’m not sure how pressing start on a watch at the beginning of the day and stop at the end interrupts the enjoyment of scenery!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hammerite, those who crack jokes v those with no sense of humour…
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gordyjh, what had anything above got to do with having a sense of humour?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, my HRV suggests that I am nearly dead so I take with a pinch of salt Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arno, tell you what, as you probably know, it's frightening how it shows the effect of the booze!

If I have body battery circa 85 sleep score >80 and HRV balanced and stress <20 then I know I'm good for a big day.
latest report
You certainly don't need one, and there are much cheaper options than the ones in the video!

I have worn my watch for resort skiing a few times. First thing was it's actually quite alarming how little time is actually spent skiing! The stats are mildly interesting. But what I liked was looking back on where I'd been that day using fatmap. Also helped with planning some ideas for the next day.

But I think these watches really come into their own for ski touring. Especially navigation features.
snow report
@Weathercam, errr, you haven't noticed any other effects of booze Puzzled Twisted Evil
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
And the winner is?

who knows, is there a version of the video that isn't dubbed by kermit?
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Gordyjh, what had anything above got to do with having a sense of humour?

Everything - Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You may understand it better but it won't survive the process.
Same as judging your skiing or riding by metrics is like judging whether a picture by Van Gogh or Matisse is superior by its weight.
ski holidays
I use it as a record of where I've been, for me, it's useful/interesting to look back and see where/when I've been, I used Strava in Jan to re-find a cheap snack bar in Trois vallees that I visited 10 years ago! and as @boarder2020, feeding back into Fatmap is also useful for off piste days, touring, route finding etc etc.

as @hammerite, says pressing start once and stop once really doesn't spoil my ski day Smile
latest report
@kitenski, I use it touring mostly. Garmin now automatically notices climbs and descents. It lets me compare progress.
ski holidays
Quote:

Garmin now automatically notices climbs and descents. It lets me compare progress

I think that's pretty standard for most watches these days. Have been on a few chairs where there is a little downhill section and my watch thinks I've started descending.

For touring my watch is set up so when I reach the transition spot I press once which pauses the watch, then press again to begin the next descent/climb. I like it as I also see the amount of time I'm spending in transitions, and that time is not included as exercise. Although it is a bit more faffing and I've forgot to press it a few times this season. I'm training for some mountaineering and ultra running stuff later this year so a bit more interested in tracking stuff, but next year I'll probably just use the auto climb descent thing for a bit less faff.
snow report
@boarder2020, yes, Garmins have recognised up and down for some years, but not in touring mode - so last year I had to do what you do.

Imagine my surprise this year when it automatically classified climbs, descents and transitions Happy
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
And the winner is?

Neither and both!

As expected Garmin watch is the best watch for skiing since Apple doesn't even have a native ski tracking mode. Ray used the Slopes app on apple watch and this isn't as good as a Garmin while you're skiing in his view.

For the on phone stuff to analyse your skiing it isn't Garmin vs Apple, it's the Garmin Connect app vs the Slopes app. As you'd expect from a generic activity tracking app vs a skiing specific app Slopes was better for analysing skiing specific stuff.

But the punchline is that Slopes (and any other sports tracking app worth your attention) can sync with Garmin connect, so the right answer is to record your activity on your Garmin watch and view it in the Slopes app.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
You certainly don't need one, and there are much cheaper options than the ones in the video!

I have worn my watch for resort skiing a few times. First thing was it's actually quite alarming how little time is actually spent skiing! The stats are mildly interesting. But what I liked was looking back on where I'd been that day using fatmap. Also helped with planning some ideas for the next day.

But I think these watches really come into their own for ski touring. Especially navigation features.

Yes, a 6 hour day can easily show as little as 75 mins actual skiing. The more people I’m out with, the more skiing it says I’ve done. Usually from skiing slower than when there only a couple of us.

My watch was mainly used for running and SUP training/racing when I bought it (it’s excellent for paddling data that makes a difference during ultra races). I wear it all the time so I may as well just press start at the beginning of a ski day.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, exactly
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy