Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking to decide on bootfitter in Alps for 24/25

Poster: A snowHead
Have been to a bootfitter in Chamonix this past winter. Not really that excited about the fit of the boots. Looking to try out a new bootfitter this coming winter (24/25).

Based on where I live (Scandinavia), the resort skiing is pretty minimal (read: boring), and a lot of my skiing is via touring. But I like heavy skis, so I need heavy boots -- 50/50 boots, hybrid boots, whatever you want to call it. I don't care about weight at all.

I'm trying to figure out who the best bootfitters in the Alps are for my trip in early January next year. I can go wherever in the Alps for 7-10 days. It would probably be smart if the bootfitter was located next to the mountain so I could come back for tuneups if needed.

So far this is what I have:

Chamonix -- Sanglard Sports

Verbier -- Anja at No1 Sports

Zermatt -- Michael at Stoked

Archamps -- Total Feet

As of now I'm leaning towards Michael at Stoked in Zermatt because (1) appears to be pretty highly regarded and (2) the shop carries ZipFits -- which I am very fond of (or at least I think I am). I have super low volume feet that requires downsizing for a good fit, but that doesn't always go well with boots I would like to tour in.

I'm getting a little tired of buying new boots. I have very difficult to fit feet, and am willing to pay whatever for comfort + performance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bigbirdonskis, welcome to SHs snowHead

I’m not sure who’s doing the fitting at Sanglard these days? (If anyone sensible at all? Certainly their shop windows display a radical shift towards the, errr, “higher maintenance, less technical” customer !!)

If Chamonix, these days I think most folks would be going either to Concept Pro or Sole. My last 2 pairs and 2 pairs of liners were fitted by the guys at Concept (who were carrying Zipfit this year) - and I’ve had boots fitted and fettled at Sole too.

Niclas fitted my bro with boots in early January, no post fit adjustments needed. Mind you, it was the last pair of the required model in his size … otherwise he’d have spent the month complaining about his old boots.

P.S. you don’t need a “heavy” boot to drive a heavy ski … my daily skis are Blizzard Bonafides which aren’t at all light but seem to respond to my Technica 0-Gs which are very light (with Zipfit liners).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-03-24 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigbirdonskis, Add Jeff, Christian, or Roland at Jennwein, St Anton to your list.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
*** double post, my bad ***

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 5-03-24 16:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bigbirdonskis wrote:
Have been to a bootfitter in Chamonix this past winter. Not really that excited about the fit of the boots. Looking to try out a new bootfitter this coming winter (24/25).

Based on where I live (Scandinavia), the resort skiing is pretty minimal (read: boring), and a lot of my skiing is via touring. But I like heavy skis, so I need heavy boots -- 50/50 boots, hybrid boots, whatever you want to call it. I don't care about weight at all.

I'm trying to figure out who the best bootfitters in the Alps are for my trip in early January next year. I can go wherever in the Alps for 7-10 days. It would probably be smart if the bootfitter was located next to the mountain so I could come back for tuneups if needed.

So far this is what I have:

Chamonix -- Sanglard Sports

Verbier -- Anja at No1 Sports

Zermatt -- Michael at Stoked

Archamps -- Total Feet

As of now I'm leaning towards Michael at Stoked in Zermatt because (1) appears to be pretty highly regarded and (2) the shop carries ZipFits -- which I am very fond of (or at least I think I am). I have super low volume feet that requires downsizing for a good fit, but that doesn't always go well with boots I would like to tour in.

I'm getting a little tired of buying new boots. I have very difficult to fit feet, and am willing to pay whatever for comfort + performance.

Pretty sure Anja stocks Zipfits. Give her a call

If you fly to Geneva and rent a car Chamonix is only an hour and a bit from Verbier and Zermatt a couple of hours further do you can visit all the shops if you like, and more importantly ski 3 of the best resorts in the world!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 5-03-24 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,

Quote:

If Chamonix, these days I think most folks would be going either to Concept Pro or Sole. My last 2 pairs and 2 pairs of liners were fitted by the guys at Concept (who were carrying Zipfit this year) - and I’ve had boots fitted and fettled at Sole too.

Chamonix is actually the only place I've been so far in the Alps. Beautiful place. Did not get to ski unfortunately as it was November when I was there. Would love to go back and actually get to ski. But I'm open to other areas in the Alps.

From what you said, I'm assuming that you trust Concept Pro over Sole?

Good to hear that Concept Pro carries Zipfits -- I like the idea of having every possible solution at my disposal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bigbirdonskis, Why not go back to the bootfitter you bought your current boots from? A big part of the process is you working out what feedback to give to the fitter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bigbirdonskis, and she recommended me the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD when I asked for a recommendation for my wife who has narrow feet.

Looks like it may suit you from the Bloster review (and beefy liner so you may even save on the Zipfit)
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2023-2024-atomic-hawx-ultra-xtd-130-boa-gw
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Why not go back to the bootfitter you bought your current boots from? A big part of the process is you working out what feedback to give to the fitter.

That's still an option I'm considering. But I spent a lot of money to make the trip down to the Alps, and walked away with a fit that wasn't that good. Obviously I can go back and see if they can tweak the fit to make it better, but what if I walk away yet again with a poor fit? Maybe this fitter isn't all that good...? I'm not sure. I'm not going to say the shop's name either as I think that would be unfair to them (as I haven't been back on a return visit).

Also, the shop didn't carry Zipfits and told me that they don't believe it's a product worth carrying. Maybe they're right? Maybe they're missing out on an opportunity to better the fit of some of their customers? Hard to say.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If you fly to Geneva and rent a car Chamonix is only an hour and a bit from Verbier and Zermatt a couple of hours further do you can visit all the shops if you like, and more importantly ski 3 of the best resorts in the world!

I'll have to give a call and see what they carry. I've thought about renting a car before, but I've always been worried about how expensive it would be. That does sound like fun though! So, maybe I'll end up doing that.

Quote:

she recommended me the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD when I asked for a recommendation for my wife who has narrow feet.

I've been looking for a bootfitter that can fit me into a downsized Hawx Ultra XTD. It definitely has the tightest cuff of an beefy touring boot out there, which would work well for my skinny legs. But I'm open to any boot. I would never walk into a shop and asked to be fitted into a specific boot. I would let the fitter pick the boot that best suits my anatomy and my needs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigbirdonskis wrote:
Quote:

I'll have to give a call and see what they carry. I've thought about renting a car before, but I've always been worried about how expensive it would be. That does sound like fun though! So, maybe I'll end up doing that.

Quote:

she recommended me the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD when I asked for a recommendation for my wife who has narrow feet.

I've been looking for a bootfitter that can fit me into a downsized Hawx Ultra XTD. It definitely has the tightest cuff of an beefy touring boot out there, which would work well for my skinny legs. But I'm open to any boot. I would never walk into a shop and asked to be fitted into a specific boot. I would let the fitter pick the boot that best suits my anatomy and my needs.

She’s an excellent fitter and will not just try and sell you what she’s got. She’s both sold me boots, fitted after market liners in boots I bought elsewhere and done mods on boots I bought eisewhere. In addition to her bootfitting skill, her lack of ego and flexibility is what’s so great about her. But give her a call and make up your own mind.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Boot Lab Meribel - https://thebootlab.co.uk/boot-fitting/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigbirdonskis,
Quote:

I'm assuming that you trust Concept Pro over Sole?

No, no, not at all. One of the Concept partners is a family member, hence the loyalty. But while I am obviously biased, if I thought it was the right thing to do with my feet, I'd go elsewhere. I don't Happy

I'd absolutely trust either shop to do a 100% job and both shops have equally impressive rosters of infamous (and famous) pro-skier clients Happy

I would note that as I live in Chamonix, I haven't felt any need to go elsewhere for boot fitting, obviously, so no comments on anyone else.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

She’s an excellent fitter and will not just try and sell you what she’s got. She’s both sold me boots, fitted after market liners in boots I bought elsewhere and done mods on boots I bought eisewhere. In addition to her bootfitting skill, her lack of ego and flexibility is what’s so great about her. But give her a call and make up your own mind.

Your recommendation definitely sounds genuine. And while there's actually very few threads or sites on the internet (in English at least) that recommend good bootfitters in the Alps -- she's one of the names that I see pop up quite often.

I'll definitely give a call to get a feel for it and see what the shop carries.

Also, I've heard that Verbier is usually one of the first places to open lifts every winter, right? I'm taking my trip during the first week of January... now I heard that this year the snow levels were quite good in January, but the previous year not so much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Bigbirdonskis,
Quote:

I'm assuming that you trust Concept Pro over Sole?

No, no, not at all. One of the Concept partners is a family member, hence the loyalty. But while I am obviously biased, if I thought it was the right thing to do with my feet, I'd go elsewhere. I don't Happy

I'd absolutely trust either shop to do a 100% job and both shops have equally impressive rosters of infamous (and famous) pro-skier clients Happy

I would note that as I live in Chamonix, I haven't felt any need to go elsewhere for boot fitting, obviously, so no comments on anyone else.

Awesome, I'll definitely add Concept and Sole to my list. I'm kind of surprised that Sanglard isn't a more popular option. Of the limited information I've found online, lots of people speak highly of the bootfitters at Sanglard. I've ever heard some say that one of the guys there is regarded as one of the best in Europe.
snow conditions
@Bigbirdonskis, I would imagine they're talking about "Jules", who I think has retired.
ski holidays
Already getting some really good shop/fitter recommendations from everyone that has replied so far. It'll probably be hard to eventually make a decision given that everyone has their personal favorite and it would be truly impossible to quantify who is the "best" bootfitter.

That being said, what criteria should I consider in regards to my decision on who I'm going to visit?

Should it be location? What products the shop carries? Or should I count the number of times a specific fitter/shop has been recommended?

This is hardly a scientific process haha, but I'm probably gonna end up with a lot of good fitters and a hard time deciding.

And... like I said in a previous reply above -- I could always go back to the same fitter and see if they could fix the issues with the boots I bought from them. But I just honestly didn't have the best experience. I didn't walk away from it thinking that I was "wow'd" by the expertise and process that went into making sure I was happy. It almost felt like I was rushed out of the door. Which was frustrating because the entire process cost me 1300 euros and not the best pair of boots I've ever had.
snow report
@Bigbirdonskis, I feel your pain, my first pair of boots were just about as expensive and fitted in a shop (in Park City, Utah) that really looked like the real deal. It had all of the squishy foot molds, the fancy equipment, etc. The boots were fine, they were far too expensive and had unnecessary features and worst of all, far too big. That shop had come recommended by the ski instructor I used at the resort, he was a good instructor and I thought would be an expert on local bootfitters. That shop also had some sort of "America's Best Bootfitters" certification, maybe you can just get one of those online, no idea.

Maybe it was a good shop and I had bad luck, maybe I didn't know enough about skiing to know what I wanted, maybe something else. But end result - I feel I wasted a lot of money and wish I hadn't walked in there.

My current boots, from The Boot Lab in Meribel, are a huge pleasure. They fit like gloves, I'm happy to wear them all day, and they make skiing so much more fun. That shop came recommended by @CEM and others here on Snowheads and I'm eternally grateful.

You ask what criteria should inform your decision; I have no idea what might help in terms of actual data, but personal recommendations on this forum have always served me well.

And re: your previous boot fitter, I think you might try calling them up and seeing if they can make things right. If it's a long journey for you and would be expensive, maybe not.
ski holidays
Also was recommended the bootlab in Meribel from Snowheads and love the fit of my boots. Very minor adjustment to shells required at time of fitting and they fit like a glove.
latest report
Just on Anja in Verbier. I was out there for a month last season and a canting bolt on my boots came loose and got lost somewhere. I emailed @CEM for advice as that's where the boots came from and he suggested I spoke to Anja.

So I did just that and 5 minutes later I walked out with a replacement bolt that she had spare and there was no charge!

I also have instructor friends in Verbier and they all go to Anja and send all their clients to her as well.

Certainly if I was in the area and looking for new boots, she'd be first on my list.
snow conditions
to add to the confusion about best boot fitters it isn't just the skills of the individual you are buying into , it is the understanding between two people, every boot fitter has clients who don't like what they do, and clients who love what they do, it is can be as simple as the relationship between the fitter and the client, when someone calls us to make an appointment, unless they are asking to see a specific fitter we try to ascertain what they are trying to achieve (can be difficult on the phone) and match them with the appropriate fitter for their needs, sometimes we get it wrong and on occasion we have switched a fitter mid way through an appointment, some personalities just clash and at the end of the day we are trying to get the best result for the client.

The process works best when the client actually gives feedback during the fitting, very occasionally we have a client who says next to nothing and we almost have to drag feedback out of them, that makes the process very difficult, other times we have people over analyze every last part of everything, that two can make the fit difficult. the key is communication and being open with the fitter about your skill level and your wants needs and expectations

in terms of the guys at Sanglard, Jules has retired, but Damien (his business partner) is still there, they were hired as contractors to run the boot side of sanglard so technically self employed
snow report
@Bigbirdonskis, I'm based in Serre Chevalier / Briancon and have a bunch of Swedes that I ski and tour with, and as you probably know there are quite a few Swedish Guides that work/live in La Grave and I know many of them use this guy, me included.

https://stylealtitude.com/ski-boot-problems.html

He's fully qualified as an Orthopedist, Podiatrist and Orthotist qualifying back in 2011 and practising in Briancon for the past ten years, also a ski Instructor as well as a Mountain Bike and Kayak guide.
latest report
@Bigbirdonskis, from what you've said I'd be going back to the origional bootfitter, in a time period when you can ski in the boots and go back if still not right over a few days. They should be able to tweak to make your boots comfortable. Most decent fitters will offer some sort of guarantee if you buy the boots/footbeds from them.

Where did you go first time and what boots did they fit? From what you said this was in November so you couldn't ski in the boots they fitted? Whose to say if you go elsewhere you won't spend another 1300 euros and still not be satisfied?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Bigbirdonskis, from what you've said I'd be going back to the origional bootfitter, in a time period when you can ski in the boots and go back if still not right over a few days. They should be able to tweak to make your boots comfortable. Most decent fitters will offer some sort of guarantee if you buy the boots/footbeds from them.

Where did you go first time and what boots did they fit? From what you said this was in November so you couldn't ski in the boots they fitted? Whose to say if you go elsewhere you won't spend another 1300 euros and still not be satisfied?

I already said above that I'm not saying the name of the shop. But, you make a good point. Maybe I go back? Just feeling out my options. Wherever I go, I'll stay for at least a week, and it'll be in January.

There's about 30 other places in the Alps I'd like to go see that aren't Chamonix. So, there's several reasons to want to go see a new fitter.
snow report
swskier wrote:
Just on Anja in Verbier. I was out there for a month last season and a canting bolt on my boots came loose and got lost somewhere. I emailed @CEM for advice as that's where the boots came from and he suggested I spoke to Anja.

So I did just that and 5 minutes later I walked out with a replacement bolt that she had spare and there was no charge!

I also have instructor friends in Verbier and they all go to Anja and send all their clients to her as well.

Certainly if I was in the area and looking for new boots, she'd be first on my list.

She's definitely on my the top of my list right now. It's insane how many people have recommended her on here and other places around the internet. I'm assuming she's proficient at every type of boot out there? I could be wrong, but I would assume that many bootfitters in the Alps spend most of their time working on boots that are not made to walk uphill in?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy