Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Beginner Resorts from Lyon

Poster: A snowHead
Hi- new here so just wanting to get some info from experienced heads!

I have flights booked in early Feb- avoiding all UK/EU school holidays luckily!. Flights booked to Lyon and am travelling with a group of school friends. A few of us have been once or twice before and are okay ish and there is 3 beginners

What resort would be best for plenty of beginner slopes with variety and have a good apres/ nightlife?

Ideally want something within 3hrs from Lyon airport?

Trying to keep it cheaper if that helps

Looked at the below

L2A
ADH
VT
La Plagne
Les Arcs
Tignes/VDI (bit further from Lyon)

Any suggestions are helpful!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only thing with Lyon - otherwise a good airport - is that I am not sure how well it is served these days for transfers. Not a problem if you are planning to pay for a private transfer which may well be economic for a larger group. Or car hire.

I am sure you would find suitable slopes in all of those resorts, but personally I would pick out La Plagne and Les Arcs as good ones for beginner slopes with more challenging ones available to progress to. You might also think of smaller resorts like Valmorel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PRESSERS94, Meribel, Courchevel 1650 (Moriond) or La Tania

The beginner's slopes in Courchevel 1850 are superb but cheap accom is unlikely and there's little apres. If you're in La Tania, it's an easy skiing progression to C1850, not so easy from C1650. Meribel excellent for beginners but most accom is a bus ride from the slopes.

Apres in C1650, LT and Meribel are all excellent, though you won't be doing much bar-hopping in LT.

My view on your list:

L2A - Awkward skiing but good apres - often voted "the one resort I wouldn't go back to"
ADH - Easy skiing, not sure about the apres
VT - Yes for both
La Plagne - really depends where you are, apres a bit limited
Les Arcs - ditto La Plagne
Tignes/VDI (bit further from Lyon) - Tough resorts for beginners, good apres, not cheap
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What are your exact dates, @PRESSERS94? And how many people?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback.

I think it will be L2A, ADH or VT- all decent high resorts

What makes L2A awkward skiing. From the piste map there is lots of long blues on the glacier etc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The first point would be that you don't need height in the first week of February! It's the best week of the season in Meribel, VT may still be cold and windblown.

For L2A - because you'll be going up the Jandri Express but the beginners will have to go up a different lift. The main run back down is carnage so you won't be skiing back together. The glacier runs are mostly on T-bars, how are you on those?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-03-24 22:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The one run back down is carnage so you won't be skiing back together. The glacier runs are mostly on T-bars, how are you on those?

You can all download together - I don't understand why anyone would ski down in L2A. And whilst nobody positively enjoys T-bars (I've skied L2A in the summer and used the glacier runs and I don't enjoy T-bars) there's more than enough non-glacier skiing in winter.

What are your exact dates, @PRESSERS94?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd take a look at Serre Chevalier.
I'd rather have trees than glaciers in the first week of Feb on average and even in a poor snow year there should be enough at height.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Origen wrote:
Quote:

The one run back down is carnage so you won't be skiing back together. The glacier runs are mostly on T-bars, how are you on those?

You can all download together - I don't understand why anyone would ski down in L2A. And whilst nobody positively enjoys T-bars (I've skied L2A in the summer and used the glacier runs and I don't enjoy T-bars) there's more than enough non-glacier skiing in winter.

What are your exact dates, @PRESSERS94?

Dates are Sat to Sat 1st to 8th of Feb.

To be honest I just wanted snow sure for went for height! A lot of people went skiing early feb who I know and send conditions were not good in a lot of resorts
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PRESSERS94 wrote:
To be honest I just wanted snow sure for went for height! A lot of people went skiing early feb who I know and send conditions were not good in a lot of resorts

This has been an exceptionally unusual year - it's highly unlikely to be repeated next year. First week of Feb really is the very best week of the season in my view and a mid-height resort is ideal to experience pretty runs through the trees on still firm snow. If you're concerned, you'd be just as well off concentrating on north facing resorts rather than height - that's why Courchevel would be a great choice, especially La Tania.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the help

Problem with Courcheval is budget…

For L2A can get near enough flights accom transfers, ski pass and ski hire for less than £900 for the week

Would there be anyway that could get close to that?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might in La Tania but I don't know how big your party is, what type of accom, catering and transfers you want or anything else. But of all the Courchevel resorts, La Tania is the one you're most likely to get a deal on.

One thing I would suggest is that if you already have flights, then there's an excellent chance that you'd get a heavily discounted last minute deal if you wait until much nearer the time. First week of Feb is officially mid-season and often gets priced as such up front, but I don't think the demand is actually much greater than mid-January.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
You might in La Tania but I don't know how big your party is, what type of accom, catering and transfers you want or anything else. But of all the Courchevel resorts, La Tania is the one you're most likely to get a deal on.

One thing I would suggest is that if you already have flights, then there's an excellent chance that you'd get a heavily discounted last minute deal if you wait until much nearer the time. First week of Feb is officially mid-season and often gets priced as such up front, but I don't think the demand is actually much greater than mid-January.

Thats a great idea. I might wait it out until early Jan to find something discounted. My friend has a deposit on an Airbnb in L2A already but it’s fully refundable until 2 days before we are due to arrive luckily.

I had a look at Courchevel and Meribel- looks amazing skiing and access to 3V which is great. Obviously comes with a very £££ culture so will see
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PRESSERS94, welcome to SH's.

You don't need to stay high to ski high. And first week of Feb I would want to be low because it's mid-winter and if the weather kicks in you are better being lower, preferably with trees.

Somewhere like La Tania or Les Coches.

However, if you want good apres/nightlife maybe Val D/Val T.

How/where you booking... TO?

As with a lot of people you are trying to cover a lot of bases and probably need to compromise on something!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keep an eye on https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm which is where a lot of Brit locals advertise their apartments.
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Keep an eye on https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm which is where a lot of Brit locals advertise their apartments.

This is great thank you. a week in La tania for £200 each is not a bad deal. Has anyone had any experience with prices in La Tania, Le Praz or Courch 1650? I have been told to stay well away from 1850. Is the lift service to main resort and bus service reliable?

I have also looked at Meribel/Merribel/Mottaret- is Mottaret still a good option etc?
latest report
@PRESSERS94,
Ste Foy. La Rosiere. Tignes-Val d'Isere. If Val, talk to Steve Angus, a Brit ski instructor based there about lessons - he posts on 'The view from Val D'Isere thread on the Snow Reports forum.
With Saturday flights there should be plenty of transfer options for you.
latest report
PRESSERS94 wrote:
This is great thank you. a week in La tania for £200 each is not a bad deal. Has anyone had any experience with prices in La Tania, Le Praz or Courch 1650?

I book apartments direct, via agencies, via tourist information websites in Tarentaise resorts a couple of times a season. Bigger apartments/chalets for larger groups (more than 6) are less common and tend to be more expensive. Bit for anything up to 6 you can get decent off peak s/c apartments for 150 Euros each easy.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
I have been told to stay well away from 1850. Is the lift service to main resort and bus service reliable?

Not sure what you mean. 1850 is at centre of the Courch valley. Where your accommodation is will depend on how far you have to walk to the slopes/lifts but many/most will be ski in/ski out (by that I mean no walk or short walk). The thing 1850 is known for is being pricey as it tends to cater for the more well off.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
I have also looked at Meribel/Merribel/Mottaret- is Mottaret still a good option etc?

My understanding is Meribel you just have to be careful where the accommodation is, as you may need a navette to get to the lift. Mottaret is OK afaik. Personally La Tania and Les Menuires are my go to's in the 3V.
snow conditions
PRESSERS94 wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

This is great thank you. a week in La tania for £200 each is not a bad deal. Has anyone had any experience with prices in La Tania, Le Praz or Courch 1650? I have been told to stay well away from 1850. Is the lift service to main resort and bus service reliable?

Full disclosure - I'm a La Tania local and apartment owner, ex 3V ski host and ex Meribel/Courchevel/La Tania seasonaire. Trust me, La Tania is the right place for you. The lift and buses are 100% reliable but you don't need the bus unless you've either missed the last lift home or want to go exploring in the evening. LT has a very famous British run pub with happy two and a half hours every day and live music almost every evening or night. Check the "Whats On" page on the website. The pub's cheap to eat in too, by 3V standards but there's also a decent supermarket, a deli and a 24 hour pizza machine in the high street. LT is far cheaper than Meribel or the other parts of Courchevel for everything.

There is a specific beginners area with two magic carpet lifts opposite the pub. Think I'm right in saying those lifts are free. For progression, the beginners can then ski all the way to the excellent Courchevel Altiport and Jardin Alpin areas on green runs and back to La Tania on green or download if they're knackered. It's very easy for the whole group to meet up in 1850 for lunch or beer, though the beer's not cheap over there! Cheapest place to eat in 1850 is the excellent bakery in the bottom of the shopping centre.

You'll get drinks deals and music in two or three bars in C1650 and I think also in l'Elephant in Le Praz. Mottaret is a good skiing location for you, but nowhere near as suitable for the beginners, or as much fun for apres.

Everywhere in LT is easy walking distance of everywhere else but some apartment blocks will be easier for the beginners to walk from than others - do you know which one you're looking at?
ski holidays
[quote="Layne"]
PRESSERS94 wrote:
This is great thank you. a week in La tania for £200 each is not a bad deal. Has anyone had any experience with prices in La Tania, Le Praz or Courch 1650?

I book apartments direct, via agencies, via tourist information websites in Tarentaise resorts a couple of times a season. Bigger apartments/chalets for larger groups (more than 6) are less common and tend to be more expensive. Bit for anything up to 6 you can get decent off peak s/c apartments for 150 Euros each easy.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
I have been told to stay well away from 1850. Is the lift service to main resort and bus service reliable?

Not sure what you mean. 1850 is at centre of the Courch valley. Where your accommodation is will depend on how far you have to walk to the slopes/lifts but many/most will be ski in/ski out (by that I mean no walk or short walk). The thing 1850 is known for is being pricey as it tends to cater for the more well off.

@Layne- thanks for the above, do you have any go to agencies or websites i could look at? Do you book far out or close to your arrival? Right now leaning towards LT or Le Praz.

On 1850, i meant that the prices for accom will be way higher than what i think my group can afford- aware that it has a rep for high prices in general. Would be happy with lift up to there from Le Praz/LT (well lift up then SKI down to 1850) or staying in 1650 and bussing over etc.
latest report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
PRESSERS94 wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

Full disclosure - I'm a La Tania local and apartment owner, ex 3V ski host and ex Meribel/Courchevel/La Tania seasonaire. Trust me, La Tania is the right place for you. The lift and buses are 100% reliable but you don't need the bus unless you've either missed the last lift home or want to go exploring in the evening. LT has a very famous British run pub with happy two and a half hours every day and live music almost every evening or night. Check the "Whats On" page on the website. The pub's cheap to eat in too, by 3V standards but there's also a decent supermarket, a deli and a 24 hour pizza machine in the high street. LT is far cheaper than Meribel or the other parts of Courchevel for everything.

There is a specific beginners area with two magic carpet lifts opposite the pub. Think I'm right in saying those lifts are free. For progression, the beginners can then ski all the way to the excellent Courchevel Altiport and Jardin Alpin areas on green runs and back to La Tania on green or download if they're knackered. It's very easy for the whole group to meet up in 1850 for lunch or beer, though the beer's not cheap over there! Cheapest place to eat in 1850 is the excellent bakery in the bottom of the shopping centre.

You'll get drinks deals and music in two or three bars in C1650 and I think also in l'Elephant in Le Praz. Mottaret is a good skiing location for you, but nowhere near as suitable for the beginners, or as much fun for apres.

Everywhere in LT is easy walking distance of everywhere else but some apartment blocks will be easier for the beginners to walk from than others - do you know which one you're looking at?

Perfect thanks- i dont know specific but something close to lifts and suitable for 6 apartments. Would you recommend to book early or wait until Dec/Jan to fill accom on a cheaper rate.

I think LT will definitely be of interest based on the glowing reviews.
latest report
Le Praz is a poor choice for the beginners and for self-catering. If you don't come to La Tania, you should go to C1650.
snow report
I'm a +1 for La Tania or Les Men.
Both the cheaper scale of the 3 Valleys. Perfect for beginners.
Mottaret is great location, but mostly Reds down into it (from Courchevel side)
Tigne / Val Diz - deffo felt more intermediate.
snow report
This is great thank you

I will look at LT then for my group...

Does anyone have any booking recommondations/ links. The latania.co.uk site is very helpful. Any direct links to other ways of booking would be good also
ski holidays
PRESSERS94 wrote:
Perfect thanks- i dont know specific but something close to lifts and suitable for 6 apartments. Would you recommend to book early or wait until Dec/Jan to fill accom on a cheaper rate.

Everything is within about 200m of the lift in LT except the Saboia blocks which are a ski down - but that won't work for the beginners, they'll have to walk down a load of steps so I'd avoid those. 6 person apartments are far fewer so if you see a suitable one I think I'd book now. If it was 4 person I'd wait. Most likely you'll end up in the Grand Bois which is right next to the lift as that's got a fair few duplexes in it.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
I think LT will definitely be of interest based on the glowing reviews.
We know Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
PRESSERS94 wrote:
@Layne- thanks for the above, do you have any go to agencies or websites i could look at?

This is the tourist information booking site: https://reservation.courchevel.com/?lang=en_US
This is an agency: https://clesblanches.com/services-location/
The link posted latania.co.uk is useful also.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
Do you book far out or close to your arrival?

We usual go at Christmas and Easter and would book 2 to 3 months before but I have booked as late as a few days before. Prices don't change that much compared to say a TO so no real reason to hold off unless you have other factors in play.

PRESSERS94 wrote:
Right now leaning towards LT or Le Praz.

Stayed in Le Praz many years ago. Loved the place but there is a walk to the lifts and back home at the end of the day - and the home pistes aren't suitable for beginners so need to download. Basically La Tania is much better for the reasons Je suis un Skieur states.
ski holidays
Thanks to all. Just currently waiting on a vrbo request to go through in La Tania for a decent price- just hoping the host doesnt decide that the price is too cheap and rejects!

Looking forward to our stay in La Tania!
ski holidays
Hopefuly you can get your price accepted in LT, if not then try some of the more "French" resorts (as in those that the French go to, rather than the Brits). The first couple that come to mind, which the uni i was at in Lyon used to run shuttle buses to at the weekends so they can't be far from Lyon, are Valloire and Valmenier. Not a vast ski area but nicely linked up, and the prices are bad there at all. We went there as a family with our son a few years ago (many years after the uni trips!) and it worked well for him as a novice and for my husband me who aren't novice. Lots of nice restaurants, etc at the bottom of the slopes in both villages (remember i first went to both as a student...).

The Valmenier/Valloire tourist office were very helpful for finding accomodation when we went en famille.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SarahRad wrote:
Hopefuly you can get your price accepted in LT, if not then try some of the more "French" resorts (as in those that the French go to, rather than the Brits). The first couple that come to mind, which the uni i was at in Lyon used to run shuttle buses to at the weekends so they can't be far from Lyon, are Valloire and Valmenier. Not a vast ski area but nicely linked up, and the prices are bad there at all. We went there as a family with our son a few years ago (many years after the uni trips!) and it worked well for him as a novice and for my husband me who aren't novice. Lots of nice restaurants, etc at the bottom of the slopes in both villages (remember i first went to both as a student...).

The Valmenier/Valloire tourist office were very helpful for finding accomodation when we went en famille.

Can second this…easy enough to get to from Lyon in around 2 hours (probably less if hiring a car), you can also get the train to ST Michel de Maurienne and pick up a bus transfer from there up the hill to either- plenty of skiing to keep you occupied and the accom and ski passes generally are well priced.
snow report
Just a note, there are trains you can take from the airport direct to Moutiers, Bourg st mourice and Albertville which gives you the best access to the 3 Vallées, Paradiski etc. Or, can take a flixbus (quick and super cheap) from Lyon to Grenoble where there are frequent busses to LDA, ADH and others via company TransAltitude. Or, coach transfers through Bens Bus etc. Or private. But public transport is possible (and actually super easy from Lyon). Very Happy
snow report
Unfortunately no luck with my Vrbo for LT. I’m still looking!

I have found some airbnb in Meribel. Next to the Morel lift to the beginner area? Has anyone got any experience of what that is like? Meribel reviews seem good for skiing and nightlife etc
ski holidays
I can't help thinking that you're looking too early. A lot of people won't put next winter's availability up until around the end of the summer season - July/September time.

But to answer your question. the Morel lift can be very useful for avoiding the Chaudanne but you cannot take a total beginner up it. Are they total beginners or have they done a little bit somewhere else? They will need to be capable of getting on and off a chairlift (a doggy old fixed 3 man calf-breaker) and skiing down a path to the ski-school meeting point. However, it also depends what skiing school they're with because I think only the ESF meets at the Altiport chair, maybe one other. Otherwise it's a bus to the Chaudanne for the normal meeting points. They won't be able to ski home to the bottom of that lift either - it's a relatively tricky blue for the inexperienced.

In the evenings, it's about a 20 minute walk into town or the bus.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't help thinking that you're looking too early

Agreed. Also, when the time comes, if you CAN find something suitable through the resort's own website, that's the way I'd go. Because if there's a problem, like a late cancellation (and there have been a couple of instances of this on Snowheads recently), you won't be on your own.
snow report
3 of us have been on ski trips before. After an hour on the slopes we could probably do greens and okay blues

3 others haven’t been yet, they did indoor skiing in the UK but covid then stopped our trip!

I will keep an eye from June or July. We have the flights booked so no issues there!
snow report
Ok so at least they know the basics but have probably only ever used a button tow, not a chairlift? Are you/they going to be in ski school? Or, as I suspect, are you intending to wing it? Very Happy
snow conditions
3 more experienced will probably do ski school for a couple of the mornings. The rest either the same or maybe 3 days

I have learnt from experience on winging it! My first trips with more experienced mates I went down a steep red run in Kaprun on my face
snow report
Ok, well that's sensible but it sounds like you won't get much benefit from the Morel lift, might be ok for the last couple of days.

Have to say, La Tania would be better for the less experienced because they can literally just walk from your accommodation on to the magic carpet lifts in the dedicated beginners area to practice before venturing further. If you get in resort early, you can even go and have a mess around before your first "proper" day.

Overall, the Meribel Altiport area is arguably the best in the 3vs for learning and progressing but there's not much in it. Both C1850 and VT are also excellent (VT has a network of magic carpet lifts) and C1650 very good but harder to venture out of. Between them, I'd rather be lower in early February.

One other consideration might be the lift pass cost. If you're in Meribel, you'd be daft not to buy a 3V pass even at your level. If you're in Courchevel, there is more than enough skiing just on the Courchevel pass for your group.
snow conditions
@PRESSERS94, you can't do "ski school for a couple of the mornings" or at least you have to either pay for a weeks worth of ski school and not use it all OR book private lessons.

As above my advice would be don't bother looking until September and use resort website or rental agency rather than vrbo/airbnb.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@PRESSERS94, you can't do "ski school for a couple of the mornings" or at least you have to either pay for a weeks worth of ski school and not use it all OR book private lessons.

It's a good point but private lessons should be viable as they're two groups of 3 at similar levels. I think the going rate for a 3 person 3 hour private is about £250, vs £300+ each for a week's group lessons. So if they split into 2x groups of 3, the privates should be a little cheaper per head if it's just for 2-3 days and of course more personal.

There is one fly in the ointment though, it's quite likely that privates will only be available in the afternoons because the instructors are teaching groups in the mornings. Swings and roundabouts!
latest report
If it's French school hols private lessons might only be available at mid-day, between the morning and afternoon group sessions.

Those prices are high, @Je suis un Skieur, like everything else in the "!big name" resorts. In Les Saisies, for example, the rate for group lessons with max of 5 pupils, for 5 days, is 220 euros in the "vacances d'hiver". Private lessons are correspondingly cheaper too, as is accommodation.

In my experience it's essential to book ski lessons of any kind well in advance at peak times - and advisable ALWAYS to book well in advance. People seem to think that they can faff for months about their accommodation, or transfers, but just leave tuition till the last minute. The quality of ski lessons can make or break a holiday, especially if the weather, or snow conditions, are poor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy