Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel lift for ski boots: yay or nay?

Poster: A snowHead
When I got my first fitted ski boot about 3 years ago, the boot fitter added a 4mm heel lift. It is glued inside the liner, under this high arch insole.
I kind of forgot about it, and now I'm wondering if I should remove it. I remember he added that because he said it would help me keep my weight forward when skiing. My stance is much better now compared to 3 years ago, but sure it's not perfect, I still find myself in the backseat from time to time.

Do you think I should remove it and get used to a more neutral stance? I can just remove it and see how it goes, for sure, but I probably won't be able to glue it again onde I remove it... unless I use some hot glue to do the job Laughing

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be sceptical about using boot adjustment like this to compensate for a poor stance, TBH. As you say it isn't going to stop you getting thrown backwards if you're not using your toe-shin muscles to hold yourself forward and may in fact simply hide the problem for much of the time.

The potential problem with removing it is that your position in the boot and the liner will then change slightly, so you may find tight or loose spots which previously were not there.

So probably better to address the stance issue first with some targeted lessons and/or exercises; the heel lift, while it may help at the moment, will not stop you improving. Once you get the feeling of holding the shins against the front of the boot, rather than pushing them there, you may find you no longer need the extra help.

Unless, of course, there's a physical issue that the boot fitter had identified. I recall at one point my wife had something similar in her boots, but these were advised by the surgeon who was performing a knee reconstruction of some sort. She doesn't use them any more, having had a full cartridge replacement some years ago now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends why it's there. If you have poor dorsiflexion and the lift is there to help your ankle joint then removing it will hinder your skiing. In general, with specific questions like this, I'd suggest consulting a bootfitter rather than the internet hive mind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gorilla wrote:
In general, with specific questions like this, I'd suggest consulting a bootfitter rather than the internet hive mind.

+1
For some people, apparently small changes like a 4mm heel lift can have really noticeable impact in their skiing, not necessarily in a good way. So if you are comfortable with the lift in there, I'd want an expert opinion on why removing it will help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What's your dorsiflexion like? Did they measure it on fitting? They should have also checked if you had any achilles tendon issues. Heel wedges are a boot fitters "fix all" trick but if it's working why worry, take em out and do a run or two (keep hold and put it back in if you don't like the "new" feel)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndreSilva wrote:
I remember he added that because he said it would help me keep my weight forward when skiing.

How did the boot fitter know this was a problem?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
I remember he added that because he said it would help me keep my weight forward when skiing.

How did the boot fitter know this was a problem?

He asked me if my stance was back seated.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heel lift could be as much a personal physical issue as it could be equipment .

Do you do any ski specific exercise .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You should be asking yourself why you needed that lift in the first place. It is usually employed when there is poor ankle dorsiflexion. It is a much better idea to work on some targeted exercise to tackle that first.

A good test is to sit in a chair bare footed with your knees bent at 90 degrees and lower legs perpendicular to the floor. With good posture and a straight back, keep your heel planted on the ground and try and lift your toes as high as you can. Working on some exercises to improve how much dorsiflexion you can achieve will have a positive effect on your stance and skiing in general.

More in this thread - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150829
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AndreSilva, thing is if you had a technique deficiency that meant you skied "in the backseat" it's not really the job of the boot fitter to correct this IMO. He should have said I am going to fit the boot assuming you are working on this and are going to get better. Because naturally if the boot is correcting it for you (as much as it can I guess) then you are not going to correct it. Hope that makes sense.

Now, if as mentioned above, you have some sort of physical limitation - again maybe correctable but let's assume not - then yes, maybe installing the heel lift is logical. But it doesn't sound like that was the case.

I think removing the heel lift will test your statement "My stance is much better now compared to 3 years ago". Further improvement of your stance may be required precisely because you don't have the lift. Either way, if there is no physical or boot fit reason for it and it was purely to overcome defective technique then yeah, get rid of it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely it's a simple case of trying with and without the heel lift and seeing which you prefer. If the heel lift does improve your stance and allow you greater ankle flex, then keep it. I put heel lifts in my sons boots at Christmas so he could see if it improved his ability to get forwards and it worked, so he's kept them. Since then an instructor told him to try putting pads between the back of his boot liner and shell, again to help him to get forwards. Again he feels like they have improved his skiing, so he's kept them in. A boot fitter has never mentioned either of these things to him, but at the end of the day they are more concerned about comfort and finding the right boot for the right shape foot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@doddsie, Ankle flex, delta angle and full geometry testing is 1st port of call in a ski boot. Fitting the boot after should be a doddle, if this is not a priority then you're in the wrong shop. Once this is correct we can then move to the back of the boots and work on the finishing of the turn.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CH2O, just a question from me, do you do that stuff as standard or only if the client asks or mentions they have flex issues?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's the first thing we do, absolutely, measuring dorsiflexion is critical. Think of the flex of your ski boots as pushing down your brake pedal in your car, it requires a stoke with progressive resistance. Now, what's the first thing you do in a car, adjust the seat so you can comfortably apply pressure to the pedals, too close and your shin aches, to far and you can't finish the braking. Ski boots are the same, setting this angle, which is absolutely fundamental to their use is first job. All the rest of the nonsense; measuring, choosing the right model, range and shell work is childs-play. I say that because we have children in the shop all winter doing work experience that manage it within 5 days. #demystifybootfitting
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adding forward lean, being more "aggressive" sic, is in 9/10 cases the last thing you should do, despite it appearing logical to most, we hear it 5 times a day, and the solution is almost always the opposite. That said the rearward support is supper important for finishing the turn, that is why your ski boots are set at an angle, however it is way too much for many, the testing phase of a ski boot is almost always carried out by professional skiers, which by definition have the right amount of ankle flex in the first place, those that don't suffer and is why they don't make it to being professional, it simply hurts too much, or they just can't get it right, unless they get it sorted early, it's relatively new to bootfitting, interms of it's order of priority. Too many entunsiastic fitters trying to master other less important factors before they start with rule number 1.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
It's the first thing we do, absolutely, measuring dorsiflexion is critical.

Interesting, Maybe I missed it but don't recall CEM doing that.
latest report
Quite honestly a quick glance at your body shape and type should be enough, after foot shape and type should help confirm it, and finally an isolated test of the achilles will work out what's needed. I spent years, possibly my first 15 not accounting for it, endlessly stretching the width of boots, selling stupid products to eleviate shinbang, padding liners to stop heel lift, to varying degrees (pun intended) of success. Once we started doing this our return customers reduced massively. It's the benefit of working in a resort and being able to see your purchases return daily, and of course being a lazy man, wanting a more successful solution. It worked and it's still working almost perfectly to this day. Happy to have worked it out.
snow report
@CH2O, understood, thanks for clarifying
snow conditions
No more shin bang, no more stretching endlessly the width of boots, no more heel lift, perfect balance to "tip and tail" the ski without the upperbody compensating. Simple, basic geometry prescribed to each individual every time! That said you need a boot range to accomodate the increased height of the instep, but as mentioned before, our 12-14 yr olds get it, they we're key to understanding it if i'm honest, they're learning geometry in maths at that age, and messing about with modern plastics is teenage lego at best.
snow conditions
My experience with CEM 10 years ago, dorsiflexion was the 1st thing measured, I was only in the shop 2 minutes as mine was too bad and he sent me off to Dale boots.
snow report
@doddsie, sounds like a cop out, he knows so much better than that, so easy to sort out, like super simples.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Adding forward lean, being more "aggressive" sic, is in 9/10 cases the last thing you should do, despite it appearing logical to most, we hear it 5 times a day, and the solution is almost always the opposite. That said the rearward support is supper important for finishing the turn, that is why your ski boots are set at an angle, however it is way too much for many, the testing phase of a ski boot is almost always carried out by professional skiers, which by definition have the right amount of ankle flex in the first place, those that don't suffer and is why they don't make it to being professional, it simply hurts too much, or they just can't get it right, unless they get it sorted early, it's relatively new to bootfitting, interms of it's order of priority. Too many entunsiastic fitters trying to master other less important factors before they start with rule number 1.

I like your way of thinking. Are you a bootfitter yourself? If so, where are you located?
snow report
@AndreSilva, I’ve bent a couple of boots a few times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy