Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Prism does nothing

Poster: A snowHead
Amazing claims are made for the Oakley Prism material so I did a quick test, under the flat light conditions where this is supposed to be most useful.

This is a photo of the snow directly

https://imgur.com/a/w22nUVV

This is via a £250 prescription lens which uses a standard Zeiss material, with no comb filtering (just a tint)

https://imgur.com/1QMMbVd

This is via Oakley goggles with Prism

https://imgur.com/2EwvliM

As you can see, it does nothing!

FYI the three spectra (from Photoshop CS6 RAW import - all 3 were shot in RAW) are:

This result is not surprising because it is physically impossible to increase contrast of an image using passive filtering methods. The Oakley patent shows a comb filter which might possibly do something of parts of the snow were in different colours, but this isn't the case. Snow is just grey, tinted by the colour temperature of the light source (blue sky, grey sky, etc). Zeiss have filed a similar patent but with the comb frequencies in different places.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-03-24 8:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter Stevens, I'm not sure the results of photos are the same as the experience via the mk1 eyeball-brain extension?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There’s a great Facebook group called the dull men’s club. Worth joining it for more content along these lines.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@Peter Stevens, I'm not sure the results of photos are the same as the experience via the mk1 eyeball-brain extension?

I tend to agree. Go out in flat light and switch between goggles on and off and it's easy to see they make a big difference. And I don't just mean prizm, any decent lens.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes; tinted goggles or lenses do work, on the same principle as sunglasses do work (especially with an antireflective coating) but the Prism material does nothing in itself. It merely sells goggles for £200 or whatever.

Sunglasses work by attenuating the light and placing the average brightness nicely within the range which the eye is able to regulate around (using the iris). This in turn enables you to view any detail in the image better. But it does not increase contrast. It is the same with wearing earplugs in a noisy movie.

I compared with the eye too. The tint itself helps (reason above; a snow scene is too bright to view directly) but there is NO difference between the yellow/orange tinted lens, and the Prism goggles.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-03-24 10:07; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit I've never found a lens that offers great/good visibility in flat light despite a 35-year search, I used to buy goggles annually.
This is the first year I haven't bought any, I'm just using a pair of Cat II Cebe goggles (bought as a spare for the back pack) on line a couple of years ago from sports direct (massive june discount)of all places,they are a good as anything in the £200 price bracket
Like so many things there is a lot of marketing effort behind product info nowadays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, it's the effect of different wavelengths of light that can 'fool' the brain into thinking that it can see more. By removing certain colours there's more 'processing power' to better perceive the others; also with some of the light suppressed the iris may dilate more to actually allow more light into the eye.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, as, f'rinstance, a yellow lens in bad light can help, as preferentially filters out blue (can't recall exactly what direction this works in, something to do with reflection off snow), it seems plausible that a comb filter could be calibrated to do this rather more precisely.

Personally, we have Smith Chromapop lenses, same principle, and they are just much nicer, more comfortable on the eyes, to wear than the previous ones.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought "flat light" was when you couldn't see any features on the surface of the snow. There are distinct features in that first photo, though distincter would be nice. I skied in Tignes with son (who was doing a season cooking there). Got to somewhere where he sent me down the Blue, and said he was going to do some moguls and would meet me further down.

A few minutes later he came down behind me. Said he'd stood at the top of the moguls and could see no bumps at all. Nothing. He's an excellent skier but said he didn't want to ski invisible moguls. That was flat light.

@hang11, Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As with all these things - There are those who say it's "Life Changing"; and there are those who say that it's all "Marketing BS".....and the truth is usually somewhere in between these 2 positions.

My view/experience, is that improvements are marginal....and that personal preference is a factor ie. Yellow/Orange vs Pink/Rose.

If you expect a dramatic improvement, you will likely be disappointed.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 10-03-24 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went from a cheap pair of ski goggles to Oakley Prizms.

Amazing difference. Worth the money. I have a the Torch for 90% of the time and the hi-pink for low light. I've compared them both to other goggles that our group ski in, and other ones in shops I think they out perform most other lenses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And here we go again……..
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3499271&highlight=stockli#3499271
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just wondering about the polarising in ski goggles. Do the have Polaroid filters and if so what angle are they set at?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a pair a couple of years ago after using cheap ones all my life. The difference was incredible. I’d never ski with sunglasses or cheap goggles now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Just wondering about the polarising in ski goggles. Do the have Polaroid filters and if so what angle are they set at?

Largely shouldn't work for snow / crystalline type reflective structure. Polarisation usually of "planar" scource and not "specular" as snow is and when it's almost nil effective.

Your own viewing angle relative to light scource direction has big impact too, if for example you photograph to record a polarized image of blue sky, with very wide angle optic, you can see the Polarisation effecti changes as you move across the image, leaving some aspect corrected, while others in same image having zero effect.

Just put polarized lenses on in blue sky day, then slowly rotate 360 degree and you'll see it "phasing" as you go around from those different light angle.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Absolutely true.

What the image example shown here (the original "white" ) and evidenced by it's histogram, is showing, is that there's no chromatic variance in the scource image, hence it's white obviously. Filtration of white just sends a bias signal to the receiver media that now looks coloured. This is typical of a "white out" scenario, devoid of chromatic bias and low original contrast to give the characteristic we all reference in skiing conditions. Having a lens quality with the highest accutance may assist us in this scenario to PRESERVE a maximum level of micro detail delivered to our eye in enhancing our ability to interpret the scene in front of us.

Clear sky, after direct sunlight illumination has been removed from snow surface can be completely different though, in image enhancement terms. Shadows can now be substantially blue (almost completely) making each little topographical detail of snow surface stand out in some respect.
Enhance this attribute through yellow filtration and it can be moved from being signalled through our blue receptive Cones, with relatively truncated response, into a neutral non chromatic density, now received by our far more sensitive Rods along with attendant rise in perceived contrast through that Mk 1 eyeball.
In effect, you can increase visual contrast with our std fit biological imaging interpretation equipment Very Happy It's not tge hue coming out of tge lens as above, white converted to yellow, but blue converted by yellow to non chroma pure density that is then taken by our Rods to drive perception.

Yellow, or derivatives, Orange etc can offer better vision in certain lower light conditions, especially given high blue prevalence i original situation. End of day, even as light level drops, no direct sunlight on snow etc, are enhanced by this choice.
snow conditions
No complaints with mine, snow goggles in all lights, and cycling sunglasses.
snow report
My Mrs has a the prism pink or rose, with the reflective coating and is disappointed with their low light performance. Will need to buy something else for our next holiday.

I'm not sure my dragon low light yellow lens is much better, I'm now starting to think it could be an age thing, old eyes just not as good as they used to be. I know when I go from bright sun into shade, my eyes take much longer to adjust than the used to.
ski holidays
@johnE, The angle of the Polaroid doesn’t matter until the light passes through another filter (which in this case it doesn’t).
That is, unless reflected light is polarised, which is not the case (i think)
snow report
Ah another great expose of shyster products in the ski industry from our usual suspect.

Problem is goggle lenses are literally all about perception which is highly individual.

@JimboS. My theory is that it's all about aging eyes. I broke my leg a few years ago as a result of that momentary blackout. I ski a storm lens most days when there is any chance of being in shade.
latest report
Quote:

I ski a storm lens most days when there is any chance of being in shade

Maybe you should try them on your face instead of using them as skis. ? I'll get me coat
ski holidays
As I posted earlier, I did a comparison using the eye and there was no difference in contrast between a tinted lens and the Oakley Prism material.

So the comb filter of the Prism is just another case of ski business snake oil.

One has to compare like for like e.g. a shagged goggle lens will not work as well as a brand new Prism one.

As for "Dave of the Marmottes" picking on his usual targets, nothing new there. Most of the rude posters here either run a ski gear shop or are trying to get occupancy for a chalet. The former I understand but the latter I don't and they ought to get a life.
ski holidays

Oakley makes the shades to transform a tool
You'd hate for the kids to think that you've lost your cool

Name the song - no cheatin' now Y'all
latest report
@ski3, ...indeed. Psychology and physiology of perception can be exploited by careful design of filters and that’s exactly what Oakley have done with Prizm. Getting the colour bias to work optimally with our very odd way of seeing different frequency light. What’s actually remarkable about the Prizm series is the VTL being so low relative to the acuity provided.
snow report
Pit Vipers are what the cool kids wear these days anyway.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Pit Vipers are what the cool kids wear these days anyway.

You can get knock off ones on Temu for SFA
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, oh....does that mean I’m not cool...?...I thought I was....drat
snow report
@Peter Stevens, Hmmmm, I'm still happier in my Chromapops. The most (to me) telling difference is that I sometimes forget which lens I'm wearing, with my old ones it was very apparent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, good to see it's made it down to NZ too! Laughing
latest report
@under a new name, ….important point re individual preference…which does link to individual bias in acuity I think. We test goggles by holding a range of different models up to the same patch of snow outside the chalet - and with four or five people making the choices it’s very interesting that what increases acuity for one person may not be the same as another. My partner had caratacts at 47 - too much time in Africa - and the yellow bias that she lived with changed which was best for her versus a non cataract person. She now has plastic lens in both eyes and so that’s shifted her preference again. My eyes are just generally b…….d from too much time at altitude and the Prizm range is just great for me. I wear googles all the time now.
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
Amazing claims are made for the Oakley Prism material so I did a quick test, under the flat light conditions where this is supposed to be most useful.

This is a photo of the snow directly….

As you can see, it does nothing!

It’s a jolly good job you didn’t fall for the hype and part with lots of your hard-earned cash.
ski holidays
@valais2, I was just going to make the same point; personal choice, different eyes, brains, whatever.
At least the OP and others have confirmed that it's not just me for whom the amazing Prizm rose pinks don't work at all in cloud, grey, flat light etc.
Smith blue mirror yellows (or some similar name) are the best which I've found; actual yellow are terrible though.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/PWFF7ecArBk
snow conditions
Cool
Although I like Oakley goggles in general, I do think there are other brands/proprietary technologies which work as well or better. Smith chromapop lenses seem to be about as good as I've tried so far.
Ted Liggety's "Shred" goggle brand also has its own tech - but he makes some slightly outrageous claims about its effectiveness in as much as he thinks that there's a time benefit to be gained by wearing them .
Simple empirical evidence would suggest that if the difference was noticeable then every racer would be using them.

I think its a good indication of equivalent performance or otherwise that those skiers for whom the details are most important (world Cup racers) seem to choose brands other than those discussed above.. there are very few wearing Oakley, and can't think of any Smith wearers.
snow report
Quote:

there are very few wearing Oakley, and can't think of any Smith wearers.

But the best skier racer in the world wears Oakley. Mikaela Shiffrin.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
Quote:

there are very few wearing Oakley, and can't think of any Smith wearers.

But the best skier racer in the world wears Oakley. Mikaela Shiffrin.

Hence "very few"..

As does her boyfriend. But I'm guessing she could wear a pair from Aldi and still win.
I'm sure Oakley find the sponsorship money well spent.
ski holidays
I said it before in another thread. I have salomon s1-3 + oaklay hi pink prizm. Last time I was snowboarding in bad (flat light) conditions I kept switching googles couple times (during runs). I couldn't say which ones were better.
snow conditions
@Roguevfr, I think most ski racers have tended to to favour cylindrical lenses over spherical ones. Shriffrin for one, has bucked that trend.

No manufacturer has discovered the magic bullet for flat light yet. I'm colourblind, and certain lenses that many people find helpful do nothing for me. But I picked up some new (old stock) flight decks with 2 prism lenses for £85 in January. The main lens is blue/sapphire, and it's the best all-day, all-round lens I've ever tried.

I'm thinking of having a clear out though for next Season and buying some Julbo cat.1-4 photochromics when they're back in stock.
snow report
Racers will usually only be able to choose from the goggle brands that have paid to be members of the equipment "pool" for their national team.
latest report
@ski3 has it right, the point of goggles is to improve perception by the human eyeball and the information reaching the brain. The effect on a camera isn’t relevant.

However while Oakley have good products that doesn’t necessarily mean they really perform better than their rivals who might be cheaper. None of them is going to say the others are equally good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy