Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot flex question for light woman

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I’m looking at getting some new ski boots and am a bit confused about flex! Ability wise I’m able to ski blues confidently and reds ok but a bit nervous so definitely more of a cautious skier. I’m 5’6 and weigh 8 stone, should I be looking at a flex of around 60? I hired a pair last year that were flex 85 and quite heavy. I’m wondering if there’s a boot brand that would be better suited?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DJT, there have been a couple of long threads on here about boot flex this season which you can find by search. If you want a summary:

Boot flex is a broad brush rating, can vary by manufacturer and can certainly vary via conditions of use - colder/warmer and can vary by user.

If getting new ski boots the absolute priority is to go to a recommended proficient one. If you say where you live people can point you in the right direction. August to October is optimal time as that is when they will be fully stocked.

If you have very normal feet and a casual skier you may be OK buying off the shelf as going to a proper fitter will be a bit more expensive. However, costed over the days of use and to be sure of being able to ski a full day with no pain, many feel it's worth it.

Oh, and flex of 60, is children boot level, 85/90 would be more likely.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with @Layne, on the flex, 90/95ish seems appropriate.
Boots have shed weight of the past 5 seasons or so (except for those with BOA) but, higher flexes are heavier than soft flexes.
Boots are a worthwhile purchase, but make sure they are fitted properly. Most shops do offer a fit guarantee anyway.
Why not take a look at your local ski shops and see what's there. When I'm looking I go down to the ski shops mid week, for a bit of touchy feely... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies for hijacking your thread tho it is perhaps relevant....

Flex v temps! We all know the difference between putting on a pair of room temp boots versus ones hot off a good boot rack versus straight out of the garage.

This past few years I've been skiing in mostly 0-12 degrees as against 10 years ago - minus 20 to O Deg C .

Curious if boot manufacturers are altering the compounds to reflect global warming.... Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a thought..... some years ago I rented touring boots and skis and skins. Prior to an "intro to touring" day I practised with the skins, walking up beside a long drag lift (feeling like a bit of a twit, to be honest). However, the ski boots were something of a revelation. They were significantly lighter than my (not very hefty) downhill boots and whilst I know they would not pass muster with aggressive downhill skiers doing lots of clever things, I'm not one of those. I really enjoyed them for the bits of downhill I did on piste when practising (and they didn't give me blisters on the uphill, either). I thought that if I needed new downhill boots I'd look into the arguments for touring boots. But my downhill boots, which were very comfortable, saw me out..... I'm quite light too (though not as light as you!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bob, ....not always higher means heavier...

Salomon shift get lighter as you up the flex range
Full tillt/k2 do not change at all
Tecnica are all over the place
Atomic also can get lighter as you go up the range

New boots are W E I R D

But good
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Origen, ...up to a point...modern touring boots are impressive but it is not advised to really hammer them in the park etc. OK for many things, but not everything.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, I’m not aware of anyone putting limits on e.g my Zero-Gs or Mrs U’s XT3s?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, think I’ll try to head over to a ski shop before we go away. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, ...no limits I understand...but discussion with some reps suggested that huckers and park rats who are on a budget and want a single pair of boots to both tour and spend days doing big aerials might place too much stress on the boots. Clearly the ZeroGs have been used for free ride and so are pretty robust....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, I sort of think that “too much” stress on your boots will easily over power your bones?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, I don't get the impression that the OP intends to hammer her boots in the park. A very lightweight skier, with modest forays on to red runs, will probably not test the materials to destruction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Origen, ...yes...but nice to discuss the technical chatter around different types of boots which we pick up from the manufacturers etc....that's a nice thing about SH I think
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My 12 year older daughter is heavier than OP and insisted on using her old lange rsj 65 from when she was much lighter at new year. It was in an extremely cold levi so that probably helped stiffen them up, she coped ok but her much much lighter younger sister skied much better in the same but smaller sized boots. I have bought her some lange xt 80 junior now, they have the solid buckles instead of wire, noticibly heavier than the rsj though. Wife has some Salomon qst 90 w boots that are incredibly light, I believe there is a design flaw where the top buckle mount can pull out but I expect that is from more extreme use than touring/alpine cross boots are designed for. They have no issues wearing them with no fitting out of the box all day, total opposite to me.
latest report
Thank you this is interesting, so you think a lighter boot may be better suited? I was struggling a lot last year by the end of a full days skiing feeling very conscious of how heavy and clumsy my boots were feeling.
snow conditions
@DJT, I don't know how long hire shops keep their stocks in circulation, but its possible that due to age and necessary requirements of simply being hire boots, they were heavier than something you would buy for yourself.

However, I would not look to specifically seek out something that is not designed for your requirements. Ski boots have shed some weight in the last few years, so a modern boot will likely be lighter anyway. Ignore all chatter about lightweight touring boots – these are designed for an entirely different set of circumstances, and you will find them cold (less insulation), less durable, and they may not fit the bindings of the skis you'll be hiring.

Talk to a reputable boot fitter about your concerns, but I suspect better fitting boots will feel less cumbersome and the weight is not as relevant as you think it is.
latest report
@Scarlet, exactly.

@DJT, Try the Atomic Hawk range of downhill boots. They are very light, and come in three different lasts, Ultra, Prime and Magna. They are very easy to thermo-form and the plastics were designed for exactly that. The Grom and I have similar feet both size 41/42 and similar width but he actually fits better in a fitted ultra shell (needing good ankle retention) while I work better in the Magna (a huge volume boot). But they are a brilliant combination of strength and low weight. I would strongly recommend them (and we have Lange, Atomics, Scott, Salomon, Dalbello, Full Tilt and Tecnica so have very full experience).

And after a long day on the hill after a run of days our legs too feel heavy and clumsy, but that’s exclusively down to fatigue - and we are very fit from cycling and mountain sports. I do about 140 miles of intense cycling a week (when work and family does not intervene) and days in the hills. That feels like reasonable prep for skiing, but I know that others to do not necessarily have time to fit that intensity of preparation in.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-03-24 10:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@scarlet thank you Eh oh!
And @valais2 I’ll put the Atomic Hawk rage on the top of my list when I make it over to the ski shop, many thanks for the suggestion!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy