Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are piste conditions good. Last minute trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am hoping to go on a last-minute trip departing anytime from the 21st of March to the 30th for 5 to 8 days.
Where has good piste conditions at this time, and where can I get a good last-minute deal? It appears that there is good availability for the week starting 23rd March.
I am travelling from Dublin and am happy to go via the UK, etc. I am happy to do package deals or self-organising. for 2/3 people. Appreciate any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@barrworst,
Tignes and Val d'Isere - check out the latest reports on their threads on this forum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@barrworst, Monterosa was rather tasty last week
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@barrworst, I’m just back from Livigno, snow was excellent, just a bit softer nearer the bottom.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens-excellent conditions there and down to about 2000m last week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monte Rosa and the surrounding areas got the most snow in the recent past, but they alone wouldn't occupy you for 5 - 8 days. Consider flights to Turin or Milan Area airports and do a tour of the Aosta valley resorts (Pila, La Thuile, Courmayeur, Monte Rosa (Champoluc the best of those three Monte Rosa to base yourself in)? I would think they all got a decent amount.

If you wanted one resort with a lot of skiing I would suggest Cervinia very easy to do DIY out of Dublin, Turin is closest airport but the Milan airports have way more flights and aren't too far to drive. Car rental is super cheap in Italy this time of year. Drive is easy, and no snow in forecast for next week at least so no worries about road conditions. Cervinia has an abundance of ski in ski out accommodation and they will take bookings at short notice for periods outside of a full week.

Another option if you just want to stay in one resort would be Tignes / Val D'Isere, reachable with Lyon flights ex Dublin, also doable from Turin I think.

I have mates skiing monte rosa right now will find out how it is. it is very warm in Europe at the moment so most places will be the same, the best conditions will be up high and with north facing options.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@barrworst, Val Thorens or Tignes or somewhere else high and North facing at least until 24th. Monte Rosa will be a slush fest facing South with the warm temps. After that it looks like a cold front comes in with possibly some snow. Everywhere could be good after that…
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perty wrote:

+1. Just back from 3V. Most places below 2000m (and perhaps a bit above if they get a lot of sun) are soft / hard work after around mid-morning, but above that is still good. VT mainly excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dolomites were superb last week, immaculate runs down to the valley (e.g. Corvara, Cortina).
Forecast for the Arlberg is looking very good.

It looks like a great year for skiing in late March Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, why would Monterosa “not occupy” someone for 5-8 days?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Ah you can ski every piste in 1 day

But each to their own

For the record good spring conditions reported from there (and excellent on piste eating Very Happy - my review stock is melting as fast as the skiwelt valley runs)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@8611, yeah, y'know, I was brought up skiing Hillend dryslope where you can ski all the runs in 2 minutes...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Perty,
Quote:

Are you back on skis already Perty?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Monte Rosa will be a slush fest facing South with the warm temps.
the pistes face East or West in Monterosa, the 3 valleys that make up the area run approx South North..
snow report
@under a new name, lol

Snowing heavily in Monterosa at mo per video I've just been sent
ski holidays
@andy1234, yup! Smile 13 weeks and 6 days from my accident I stepped into my skis and onto the piste. I had a great week, and all limbs still intact! I didn't feel nervous but I definitely had an internal speed restrictor and didn't go as fast or ski as aggressively as usual. All in all it felt normal and I was very thankful not to have lost my mojo!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
. Monte Rosa will be a slush fest facing South

Apart from the topographical innaccuracy, no worse than anywhere else ... it is 2nd half March after all wink
snow report
under a new name wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
. Monte Rosa will be a slush fest facing South

Apart from the topographical innaccuracy, no worse than anywhere else ... it is 2nd half March after all wink

You are the expert. My fave Italian guide told me it gets the sun which seems logical seeing it sits in the Southern side of the main Alpine ridge, although I appreciate it’s also logical that the slopes connecting Champoluc through Gressiney to Alagna run West to East rather than due South. I wouldn’t recommend anywhere with significant South exposure in the current heatwave
snow report
My vote would be to stay in Cervinia and ski Zermatt/Cervinia, whichever has the better snow (if the connection is open, always a risk). I prefer skiing on the Zermatt side, a big reason being there generally is less wind and the higher up lifts are open more often. The Italian side can be a bit windy and most of the resort closed, not just the connection to Zermatt.

Regardless, I think it's worth the small gamble. I was just in Zermatt all last week and conditions were amazing.

I'm at the 4 Vallees now, and although we did just get a decent bit of snow up high, everything below about 2300m is pretty sh*t compared to Zermatt.

Tignes you also can't go wrong.
snow report
I'm currently in Zermatt and can confirm conditions on piste are decent. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than last week in the Dollies
ski holidays
I can second Cervinia! We just got back this morning and conditions were awesome! Booked a super last minute trip also (booked Sunday 10 March to go on Wednesday 13 March) as were hesitant about the conditions/snow, but all worked out and SO glad we went. Cervinia snow was better than Zermatt in my opinion, but agree with wind. We did have 1 out of 4 days with significant wind and about half of the mountain was closed for at least half the day, but still plenty of good on-piste options despite some lifts closed - just was a bit more busy as limited options for people to spread out. The other 3 days were perfect, blue-bird days!
snow report
I will be arriving into Aosta this Friday, staying near Fenis. I'm traveling with my family (10 y/o, 8 y/o) and another family (13 y/o, 9 y/o). The kids are solid intermediate skiers. We are skiing Cervinia on Saturday, 23Mar and the kids will be in lessons. I'm trying to decide what resort(s) to ski on Sunday and Monday. I am planning to ski with the kids on those two days. I'm considering the following options: Monterosa, La Thuile, Pila, and Courmayer (in that order). Last year was my first time in the Aosta Valley and we only skied Cervinia and over to Zermatt. So I'm interested to check out a few new places this time. It's a short stay in the mountains as we leave for Turin/Genoa on Tuesday (wives want wine/sea). I welcome any and all input based on previous/recent experience, current/expected snow conditions, etc. Thank you!
latest report
Personally, over that short a break, I would have just stayed in one resort, but seeing as you seem to be 40 mins drive from Cervinia anyway, I'd probably just look at Google maps and see which are the easiest. Don't underestimate the size of the Aosta valley, journeys between the different resorts can be much longer than we'd think.

As solid intermediates they will enjoy any of those resorts. The main factor in snow quality will be the freezing temps, I think its due to be cold after this Sunday and there may also be snow in the forecast. If that is the case all resorts will be probably be the same in terms of snow quality. If it is snowing when you are driving Pila will be the easiest to get to as there is a lift right down in Aosta town at valley level. Pila good for a day's skiing. La Thuile good for more given it has access to La Rosiere. Maybe check if you are buying an Aosta pass if it covers the French side, it probably doesn't (it certainly doesn't cover Zermatt for instance) but maybe a three day pass would only allow you one other Aosta valley pass anyway and you'd have to get individual day passes also. I skied Monte Rosa earlier this week and there is a good sense of travel going between the three valleys, but I've skied all of those resorts and enjoyed them all equally. You won't go wrong picking one over the other. If the kids like blacks the best blacks in the whole valley are above La Thuile.

Could I ask a favour? I plan to do a similar trip next Easter which is late, couple of days skiing in Cervinia followed by a second destination, beach or rural if you hit on any tips for a second destination, please post them up
snow report
Quote:

Personally, over that short a break, I would have just stayed in one resort

This??

Sounds a bit of a hassle to me. I'd just go to Courmayeur and park at Dolonne, cos that's least hassle IME (no idea re Pila nor La Thuille so they may be less hassle.
ski holidays
purplhays wrote:
I will be arriving into Aosta this Friday, staying near Fenis. I'm traveling with my family (10 y/o, 8 y/o) and another family (13 y/o, 9 y/o). The kids are solid intermediate skiers. We are skiing Cervinia on Saturday, 23Mar and the kids will be in lessons. I'm trying to decide what resort(s) to ski on Sunday and Monday. I am planning to ski with the kids on those two days. I'm considering the following options: Monterosa, La Thuile, Pila, and Courmayer (in that order). Last year was my first time in the Aosta Valley and we only skied Cervinia and over to Zermatt. So I'm interested to check out a few new places this time. It's a short stay in the mountains as we leave for Turin/Genoa on Tuesday (wives want wine/sea). I welcome any and all input based on previous/recent experience, current/expected snow conditions, etc. Thank you!

Any 2 of Monterosa, La Thuile and Pila. Courmayer is a bit limited. Pila makes sense as its very close to Fenis. La Rosiere is all included in the La Thuile (san bernardino) lift pass, although the better skiing and food is on La Thuile side anyway, plus the Las Ros side faces mainly south. La Thuile and Pila North facing. If its windy avoid Monterosa, as if the connections between the valleys close you wont see the best of it. Just buy a day pass for each place. There isnt a pass for 3 days at different resorts that will save any money.

I'd probably go with Pila & La Thuile, as you have a good mix of blue, reds and black at both, whereas Monterosa is pretty much reds all round so a risk if any of the kids aren't as solid intermediate as you think or want to take it easier in the afternoon etc.
latest report
@t44tomo, "limited"?? with kids? it's totally fine Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@t44tomo, "limited"?? with kids? it's totally fine Puzzled

Just personal opinion of Courmeyer, I rate the other options ahead of it YMMV - I didnt say it wasn't fine, but if choosing 2 from that list it wouldn't make my cut Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t44tomo, ok, I see your point (theoretically, having never been to La Thuile, nor Pila) snowHead
snow report
purplhays wrote:

If you haven't already found them, it's worth checking out this trip report and this thread as there are a few of us who have been in / around Aosta recently and there might be some stuff in those threads that might help you decide. Enjoy!
snow report
I have three holiday days to ‘use or lose’ before Easter, so I’m thinking a last minute jaunt, out on Thursday, back Monday evening. Keeping it to easy/short transfer and decent altitude, I’m thinking Turin/Cervinia (which I’ve done before), or Inns/Mayrhofen. Given latest meteo, thoughts on either?
latest report
I think the forecast will mostly answer this. If its going to be windy or bad vis Cervinia won't be great? Also will Northern Alps get more snow? On the other hand, is Mayrhofen high enough and what have recent conditions been like?

I also think the snow forecast isn't set in stone yet so there's a bit to play for yet.
snow report
I’m happy to wait and buy the flights tomorrow (or even on the day), but do EJ prices spike coming into the last day, or maintain a fairly level run in - never booked that late?
ski holidays
Can only compare Ryanair, where they don't tend to go down, and only stay cheap if the flight is about half full

I think looking at forecast you'd probably be better off in Mayrhofen, more snow and probably more trees if the weather comes in, less risk of wind closures than Cervinia. Plus it may be somewhere new to you if you haven't been. See what other people think.
latest report
@8611, what about Aosta valley? Is it at the same risk of closures as Cervinia? Flying out to GVA on Thursday and we will probably stay in Aosta valley. I'm still not sure where to go, Aosta valley vs Cervinia. In that part of Italy I've only been to Cervinia before (once).
snow report
I think the other resorts are less at risk, Cervinia is higher and more exposed to wind. When I was there and it closed two days due to wind Pila down the valley, for example, was open. This said, I haven't even looked closely at the forecasts so don't know if it definitely is going to be windy or for how long, so please don't let my random warblings worry you or make either of you change your plans.
snow conditions
Snowforecast for instance doesn't even have bad wind for Cervinia
ski holidays
@8611, thank you! What sort of wind is worrying for Cervinia?
snow conditions
Don't know to be honest. High wind!

It's known for occasional wind closures. Thats not to say it will happen to you.

All ski resorts close in high wind to be honest. Cervinia is more exposed because it's high and on a very windy pass.

But to be honest this is all uninformed speculation on my part and I'd rather not have said it and worried you.
ski holidays
@snowyc, Stay in Valtournenche and access Cervinia from there. This allows you to ski the Valley resorts like La Thuile, Courmayeur, and if you're a gluten for punishment and like a road trip there's always Champoluc. All a bit of a drive, but if Cervinia has closed pistes due to bad wind these others should be open.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy