Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best bits of kit no longer made

Poster: A snowHead
Timmycb5 wrote:
Gored wrote:
Onepiece in garish colours

Took this pic last year.

Strong look for Michael Gove, that Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
telford_mike wrote:
These were epic, and a bit scary for me at the time. Loved them (I was young then).

On Friday in Galtur I came across a guy skiing Volkl P10, looked a good 2m long, And yes he could ski them properly down run 19 (BLK)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
These were epic, and a bit scary for me at the time. Loved them (I was young then).

On Friday in Galtur I came across a guy skiing Volkl P10, looked a good 2m long, And yes he could ski them properly down run 19 (BLK)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:

Strong look for Michael Gove, that Very Happy

Think he was just taking the Christian view of the Matterhorn of Charlie he'd just nosebagged.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lift passes including a mug shot. I've got 20 years worth from uni onwards, showing a steady decline in hair coverage, and then nothing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Giro Bad Lieutenant helmets
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimastaaah wrote:
The Red Blobs on Dynastar Course skis. Laughing

Oh my goodness yes! Thursday night Race training at Hillend, there was almost a stampede each week to get one of the approximately 3 pairs of them in the hire racks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Volkl P9 SLC, the ones with the cracked edges. I hired them on one holiday, and could ski anything going, but never managed to find another pair Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Haribo Smurfs.

Surely still available en France, or I will cry. My standard energy boost supply on the hill.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
These:
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dode wrote:
Ski poles with proper sharp pointy tips

There was a fatal accident in Meribel over thirty years ago now I believe. It was on one of the main pistes possibly blue, as you descend into Meribel from Courchevel. If I remember correctly it may have been not far above the area where Michael Schumacher had his accident.

A lady fell on piste and her ski pole pierced a vein or an artery in her neck and I think she died.

We were heading back towards Courchevel in the gondola shortly after the accident and could see a piste machine trying to cover up a huge patch of blood on the snow.

It was not long after that pointed tips disappeared and I think that particular accident was at least partly responsible for the change.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Wingjump have gone now... that should come back. High fashion and high performance in one effortless package.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Event and Phoenix clothing. In the 80's my brother had an Event jacket , yellow body and silver shoulders. The yellow and blue were just too cool. I had a pair of bright red Event salopettes that I literally wore to pieces. They were lovely kit, thinsulate and gore-tex. The Pheonix gloves I had were beautiful, again thinsulate /gore-tex.
Vielhaber skiis, god I lusted after them when I was a kid. Great marketing, "impact resistant" for scottish skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Richard_Sideways,

I had no knowledge of Wingjump until you mentioned it.

I looked it up.

Now my eyes hurt.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, you know you want one.... you could be soaring majestically like an eagle right now.
ski holidays
stevepick wrote:
Event and Phoenix clothing. In the 80's my brother had an Event jacket , yellow body and silver shoulders. The yellow and blue were just too cool. I had a pair of bright red Event salopettes that I literally wore to pieces. They were lovely kit, thinsulate and gore-tex. The Pheonix gloves I had were beautiful, again thinsulate /gore-tex.

You are me - and I claim my £5.

I had an Event Goretex shell One Piece (as worn by Ali Ross in "How we learned to ski"); Vibrant Phoenix Jacket with neon green pants (Goretex/Thinsulate) and their lovely soft leather Goretex gloves with Primaloft insulation.

My Phoenix outfit was so bright, I was like a lighthouse in the fog...so much so, that during a Crystal guided group in a whiteout, they put me in front, as I was (by far) the most visible. I became like a sort of skiing Pied Piper. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

These, they'll never make these again, one size fits some.

If they do make them again maybe Salomon has learnt how to stop a tail delamming since.

Salomon X Wing LAB
snow report
Alpaca wool ski socks. Bought some in the USA donkey's years ago. ( brand was Dahlgren or something like)

Warm, lightweight, super hard wearing and stink-proof.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
stevepick wrote:

You are me - and I claim my £5.

I had an Event Goretex shell One Piece (as worn by Ali Ross in "How we learned to ski"); Vibrant Phoenix Jacket with neon green pants (Goretex/Thinsulate) and their lovely soft leather Goretex gloves with Primaloft insulation.

My Phoenix outfit was so bright, I was like a lighthouse in the fog...so much so, that during a Crystal guided group in a whiteout, they put me in front, as I was (by far) the most visible. I became like a sort of skiing Pied Piper. Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy Very Happy
Event and Pheonix were such a serious jump in quality of kit, and it seems only in the last few years with the developments by Hestra that the quality of gloves that Pheonix brought 40 years ago is available. The 80's was a brilliantly colourful time, and that came in pretty useful finding people in the mist and smir at Glenshee. Even though I am now a convinced shell and layers user, if Event started making those jackets again today I would instantly buy one. Ali Ross was such a cool guy in his.
snow conditions
I still have an Event shell smock but it has got a hole in one shoulder. The large chest pocket was really useful, have never seen a similar one on other brands.

I thought that Event were bought by Speedo.
latest report
rjs wrote:

I thought that Event were bought by Speedo.

I have some of them as well - but been banned from wearing them by my family. Skullie
latest report
Fubar

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 29-03-24 18:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The local sports store where I grew up seemed to knock out Event gear pretty cheap ( possibly it was when the brand was going under and they'd bought a pallet or two). Anyway had some goretex gloves for not much money as a teen.

Had a nice Phoenix goretex jacket bought with early wages nicked from my car in Manchester. Peril of going for drinks after work in those days. Some scally would take his hands out of the front of his trackie bottoms just long enough to jam a screwdriver in your lock and nick anything remotely branded.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Fubar

That is a blast form the past, remember the mad wide brimmed "summer hat" in multicoloured fleece. Instructions for wearing on the inside Very Happy
latest report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Alpaca wool ski socks. Bought some in the USA donkey's years ago. ( brand was Dahlgren or something like)

Warm, lightweight, super hard wearing and stink-proof.

They've been superceded by Merino. Icebreaker is the benchmark brand, I have about five or six pairs, none of which are less than 7 years old, som more than that, and all of which are still in great condition. They usually go four or five uses between washes, standard 40degC laundry cycle. Did the Alpaca ones need to go on a delicates/wool wash?
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, ...only four or five? What about the 'gone crunchy' test?
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc,
Quote:

Did the Alpaca ones need to go on a delicates/wool wash?

No, they were erm... tough as old boots (pardon the pun). I've been using Teko FWT branded socks for the last few seasons and they're good.

May have to check out Icebreaker. Always thought they were pricey, but if they last, Buy once, buy right.
snow report
GeorgeVII, You could also look at smartwool socks, my preferred choice tbh. Similar to icebreaker really.
Mine are easily 10 years old now, still like new - 8 pairs easily last me a 3 week trip.You really want the ultra light ones, no padding Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Marker Rotamat bindings, Salomon SX 91E boots, Elho day glo jackets, snow blades/big feet
snow conditions
Sprayway and Berghaus goretex jackets from the 1990s. Bombproof, which is probably why they make them of thinner materials now Sad
snow report
@skitech, snowblades! SNOWBLADES????!?? What about everyone's knees?
ski holidays
@Peter S, Ah the Berghaus 8000 series. Indeed bombproof. Totally trustworthy even at the highest crappiest places.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
rungsp wrote:
S.O.S. ski clothing

still made but in Denmark ... https://www.sos-lifestyle.com/en_store/category/archive-sale.html

I had a couple of the SOS Ski Sweaters, best ski wear ever!!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin

And certainly not overpriced! About the price in absolute terms (sic!) than back in the 90s. https://www.amazon.de/SOS-SOS224019-Unisex-Aboda-Pullover/dp/B0C5BN9K8C?th=1&tag=amz07b-21

Mine is still with me, though. And colour schemes were better back in the day.

The jackets - which I unfortunately couldn't afford - looked utterly gorgeous. They already anticipated the slick, lean and clean, look of much later triple layer jackets, which only were invented some fifteen years later. And combining them with great colour schemes, they'd look good up to this day. I wanted a dark yellow one, which sadly never went on sale... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

yep. Brilliant ski. I had P9,10,20,30... stopped there for some reason & switched to all mountain. Am thinking about Race Tigers tho...

Avalanche balloons?

These were truely epic for being one of the first wide shovel ski not being a noodle. Actually might have already been the P30 RC. But they were not only expensive but very fragile. If you skied them hard they had a terrible tendency to compress. It's actually the reason Völkl didn't conquer the whole market back then.

Avalanche balloons might still be available, but have always been bogus. Just like Avalung.
snow conditions
I miss the Swiss Franc rate when it was around 2.30 pre 2008. At the time it was cheaper to drink in the North Wall bar in Zermatt than my local. Happy days, it's now hovering around 1.12 - eek.
snow report
Snowbandit56 wrote:
I miss the Swiss Franc rate when it was around 2.30 pre 2008. At the time it was cheaper to drink in the North Wall bar in Zermatt than my local. Happy days, it's now hovering around 1.12 - eek.
Look at what it was like when I was a kid, being taken to Switzerland every summer by my parents in the 1950s and 60s! https://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/etc/GBPpages.pdf
latest report
I quite liked my old Bandit B2's.still see the odd one on the mountain. Now ducks for cover Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Snowbandit56 wrote:
Look at what it was like when I was a kid, being taken to Switzerland every summer by my parents in the 1950s and 60s! https://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/etc/GBPpages.pdf

Looks like my folks timed our first forays to Switzerland really well, 1972, 1973…… exchange rate fell off a cliff thereafter.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Snowbandit56 wrote:

Looks like my folks timed our first forays to Switzerland really well, 1972, 1973…… exchange rate fell off a cliff thereafter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy