Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Vs AM ski. Fun piste skis, not too stiff or racey..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, another ski rec thread I'm afraid...

We're in the Alps for 3 weeks ( champagny) and am looking to find an end of season deal. Also off to NZ for a season with fam and we're taking skis there. have bought ex rentals for partner and boy 1. Boy 2 we bought Rossi experience pros in ekosport which are great.

Got all a bit mixed up on ski choices. I'm prob 25 weeks experience upper intermediate skier, 5ft10, 85kg.

Looking for a ski that can grip hard pistes for carving but also fun and not destroyed in slush/ off the sides. Not proper off piste . Something that can deal with mogels/ bumps. I don't charge very fast but love carving / attempting to anyway. And skiing with my 7 and 9 year old 85% of time won't be going fast enough for a v stiff charging ski. They love trying to hit ALL the side bumps..

Have previously rented s/max 12s ( good), this week have had brahma 82 ( stiff and I don't charge with the fam so hard work at their speeds) and racetigers sc ( just could not get on with these, felt like they were sliding all over the place not gripping on hardpack, perhaps too stiff, I was skiing too slow?) and at the Arabba bash had new Salomon addikt pros which were a blast on their perfect pistes but maybe not elsewhere...

Anyway I'm swinging all over the place between piste skis such as

- atomic redster x7s, ( sounds like good smaller radius?)
- experience of the racetigers makes me think all the redster s9s etc may be too much for me.
- Salomon s/max 10s
- salomon s race sl 10
- Salomon addikt pros ( incredibly expensive for what they are but fun 13m radius)
- Rossi heros

Or more AMs such as

- wingman 82ti
- ripstick 88 - perhaps too much AM as I'll be 90/10 on piste but like something that likes bumps and deals with slush.
- Salomon qst - seems highly recommended but not sure of such a wide ski?

Finally my hankering for Black crow mirus cors that sound great fun but also ++ ££. But they seem good for casual cruising / slow carving/ fun..however not sure if they just red herring/ been sucked in by their marketing department and reviews. I don't park ski...

Popped to albertville couple days ago that have some of the above in stock and also got a price from black crows in Meribel I could pop to...

Any advice greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Head Titans would be a very good match to your requirements. Basically a piste ski but a bit wider, I found them easy to carve on well groomed pistes and also confidence inspiring on bumps/slush.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@noodlehat, have you been to NZ before? Which island/area are you staying in? I ask because it's very different from Europe. Small club fields, lot of off piste terrain around pretty limited piste skiing. There's no way I'd be taking a piste performance ski, you'd be much better off with an AM. You may think you're going to spend 90% of your time on piste but I bet you don't! The Salomon QST is a good call if you want to pootle around a bit with the family, probably the QST 92 but I'd be sorely tempted by the QST 106 too for NZ.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. @Je suis un Skieur, no, we have friends who live in Wanaka and we are traveling there for 6 months. He had mentioned about the small fields etc.

I guess I tend towards piste skis as I don't have off piste experience or training. I guess that could change if there's off piste courses/ guiding available out there, also as a family we prob want to branch out to more local off piste stuff soon as well.
This is how you end up with 3 hold luggage bags and 2 or 3 ski bags full of families skis.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Je suis un Skieur, oh btw, as I understand a twin tips qst should be sized bigger . So I'm 177 the 176 would be ideal? Vs 168 I go for piste skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@noodlehat, I did an 8 day tour driving through South Island about 15 years ago, with the last 5 days in Wanaka. Lovely town, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Skiing-wise, I doubt things have changed much. The nearest hill is Treble Cone which has two chairlifts. But everything between them and around them is skiable off-piste. I never made it to Cardrona which I think is 6 lifts now excluding magic carpets and where you may go more as a family. But even that is tiny if you've just spent 3 weeks in the Paradiski. So I think it's inevitable that you will start exploring.

It's pretty easy to teach yourself off piste somewhere like Treble Cone just through trial and error whilst doing circuits of the same lift. The club fields are T bars or "rope" tows (not like any rope tow you've ever seen in Europe!) and might not even have any pistes. I also managed to get a couple of days heli-skiing in out of Wanaka which was fabulous and terrific value compared to elsewhere in the world - if this is a one-off trip of a lifetime find a way to do it.

For the QST 92, it's rockered rather than full on twin tip but yes, you should go longer. I am 179cm, 95kg and would definitely take that ski in 184cm but I am a lot more experienced than you. I'd say you're on the cusp at 85kg, the 176cm is a minimum but if you get an end-of-season deal on the 184cm, don't be scared of it. The extra length will help you a lot off piste and it'll ski much shorter than that on piste anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have the cash Stöckli Montero AX, not cheap (€1300 - €1500 new!) but a great all mountain ski
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munich_irish wrote:
If you have the cash Stöckli Montero AX, not cheap (€1300 - €1500 new!) but a great all mountain ski

Great ski but I can't see how someone who thinks Blizzard Brahmas are too stiff is going to like a pair of Stocklis. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you are describing my M6 Volkl Mantras, a piste-oriented AM. I like them so much that I just bought another pair.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Je suis un Skieur, is the off piste on the hill avalanche controlled in NZ like the US then?

Will prob take some courses/ guiding.

Yeah the Bahamas prob would have been fine if with other skiers but pootling about with fam couldn't really load them much, also I guess being more used to thin piste skis, a bit of learning curve.

Out of curiosity, any idea how qst's compare to ripstick or BC camox, or serpo / mirus cor ? Also seen Blizzard Rustler 9 suggested..

Qst wise, assume not huge diff between the 92 and 98? 98s available in suitable length.

Cheers
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noodlehat wrote:
Thanks @Je suis un Skieur, is the off piste on the hill avalanche controlled in NZ like the US then?

At Treble Cone, yes, definitely. I think the club fields are the same but all resorts are responsible for their own policy so I can't say 100% for Cardona etc.

noodlehat wrote:
Will prob take some courses/ guiding....Out of curiosity, any idea how qst's compare to ripstick or BC camox, or serpo / mirus cor ? Also seen Blizzard Rustler 9 suggested..?

Good call on a course. I think the Ripstick and Camox are more backcountry/tour oriented than the QST 92/98 and less suitable for what you're going to use the skis for. Not familiar with the Serpo and don't think the Mirus Cor would make a good "first" AM ski at all - it seems to get a lot of "took a bit of getting used to" type comments even from very experienced skiers. Rustler 9 could work but I don't think they're better than the QST 98s.

noodlehat wrote:
Qst wise, assume not huge diff between the 92 and 98? 98s available in suitable length.

QST 98 is a very accessible award-winning ski, good choice and arguably better than the 92 for you if you're serious about a bit of exploring. But what are you calling a suitable length? That ski goes up to 189cm, you should definitely be on the 183cm. It's got a fair bit of rocker and even at 183cm, I doubt if the contact length on piste is even 170cm, probably less.

noodlehat wrote:
Cheers
Welcome!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 24-03-24 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@noodlehat, if you’re now heading towards something slightly wider/twin tips, have you had a look at Atomic Bent 90s? Nice, playful and easy to ski.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@noodlehat, Au Vieux Campeur are still showing stock of the QST 98 in 183cm in Albertville. Only one pair but they also do click and collect if you miss the on-site pair. https://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/activites/ski/skis/ski-freeride-qst-98.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Je suis un Skieur, thanks, tad unsure of such long ones although understand the reasoning!
@hammerite, love the look and playfulness of them, not so sure how they behave carving and hard pistes and off piste performance, seem more a park ski?

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@noodlehat, at this years SIGB (Ski Industry GB) Ski Test I was meant to be testing classic All Mountain Skis and yet in the testing compound there were a few skis that I also wanted to try out, as like your thread title they looked like they could be fun.

One was from the new Scott Sea Range, the Scott Sea 98, and the other was from Elan, Playmaker 101.

And both skis were great on the piste and put a real smile back on my face, for as I wrote on another thread just after the test, commenting about the Playmaker's...

And these skis really have me thinking, maybe we're too focused on performance, as in All Mountain Skis, at the expense of just having fun, and next years test I think the it will be Old Farts do Freestyle skis.

And as a postscript last year as I mentioned I skied the Mirrus Core, and no change for them this season, and they too really made me smile and I enjoyed skiing them, along with the Scott SEA so maybe that's where it should be, "fun" ?
snow report
@Weathercam, many thanks. Looks a super new ski with hardly any reviews, or even info on the Scott website!? They are a bit pricier than the qst's, any idea how they size length wise? Piste ski wise I'm happy on 161 to 172s at a push generally.
ski holidays
Agree on the fun point, I use mid mounted freestyle skis for the whole mountain and I do generally really enjoy them although they tend to lack lift in powder (due to being mid mounted). If you go down this route look for a pair with demo bindings so you can shift them back on powder days.
snow report
@noodlehat, they’re designed with the park in mind but good everywhere. https://www.curated.com/journal/2534000/expert-review-2024-atomic-bent-90-skis
ski holidays
noodlehat wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, thanks, tad unsure of such long ones although understand the reasoning!
I knew you'd say that! wink

I'm actually much more comfortable recommending the QST 98 in a 183cm to you than the QST 92 in a 184cm. Of the two, the 98 will definitely ski shorter on piste and well within your preferred 168-172cm range. Yes it's a bit wider but it's relatively lightweight so the swingweight isn't going to be much different from what you're used to in short turns.

At the end of the day I can't make you do anything, just offer advice to try and help people to not repeat things that I did that I now think were mistakes. I guarantee that if you buy the QST 98 in a 176cm, you'll be looking back at your skiing development in 10 years' time and saying, "I bought those too short". One of my other common phrases, based on experience, is, "Don't buy the punter length" when someone's about to do a season because the way you'll ski after multiple weeks back-to-back is just so diffferent to the odd week here or there. I have no doubt at all that 176cm is the punter length for you, 183cm is the seasonaire length.

Anyway, do what you will with it and have a great time in Kiwiland, I'm envious! snowHead
ski holidays
I'm no expert on ski buying, but interestingly your profile (experience, height, weight) is similar to mine (although I am probably a few years older) so I can offer you my personal opinion on the Ripstick 88s which I bought last year after several years on Atomic Nomad Blackeye Ti's. I changed because my failing knees were finding the Atomics a bit too stiff and I was looking for a lighter, more flexible ski that would handle mostly piste skiing but give a better feel in the softer stuff. You wonder whether the Ripsticks would be "too AM" but I have found them excellent on piste and great carvers - on very my first run on them Mrs LB commented (unprompted) that they made me look a better skier (thanks!). They encourage you to get a bit more sporty in the turn, so you should have no doubt that they are a good piste ski on fairly hard packed pistes (which we encountered at the start of our holiday earlier this month in the Tarentaise & 3V) and I definitely noticed the improvement on softer piste snow and in slushy conditions as it warmed up later in the day. Nice and flexible for the bumps too and they give more confidence in my rather rare off piste forays. I am 5'9" & 82kg and have the 172cms (my Atomics are 167), so you might prefer the 177s (or longer if you're used to a longer ski). The Ski Essentials review of 20 or so AM skis last year summed it up nicely - but worth a look for alternatives.
snow conditions
@noodlehat, interesting, because I used Völkl Racetiger RC 165 cm recently while my female cousin was on a 150-something Racetiger SC. We both enjoyed them a lot, despite people telling me in the past that Völkl skis are only suitable for big burly types. I am 178 cm tall (5' 10") and 68 kg and she is about 163 cm tall and far from burly. Both advanced (not expert) skiers.

I am very much a piste skier, but 15 years ago in Verbier my eyes were opened to the wonders of wider and twin-tip skis. The snowfall on the pistes was a little extreme, with very poor visibility, and a knowing rental shop employee recommended Scott Neo 166 cm, 122-82-112, R13. To me, they were the weirdest looking skis I had ever seen, but I decided to be open-minded about it. They were amazing and I felt like I had the confidence of a mountain goat despite hardly being able to see anything.

It goes to show that there is no substitute for testing skis yourself and finding a match for your own skiing style and the conditions.
snow conditions
You mentioned how much you enjoyed Addikt Pro.
They are 66 underfoot but next season they will be also have a 76 version.
https://www.inthesnow.com/salomon-addikt-pro-76-2024-25-ski-review/
snow report
Walter-Spitty wrote:
@noodlehat, people telling me in the past that Völkl skis are only suitable for big burly types.

I think this is misguided. I'm 6'2", 185, hardly burly. I'd put it this way: if you're on 'em, you'll crush it. If you're in the back seat, all bets are off. True of many/most skis designed for the better skier, regardless of mfr.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, yeah I think you are right. The guy in the rental shop recommended them to me as a ski that he can carve on all day long without his legs getting too tired; stiff enough, but not too stiff. He was a lot younger and stronger than me, but they were as he described. Among the very best skis I have ever used.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, @Walter-Spitty, yeah i think pootling about with kids was not best way to test those skis out, I've previously used salmon x/max 12s which I understand are pretty stiff as well and liked them. Plus I was pretty unimpressed with the edges from the hire shop on all our skis, that said they were super helpful and allowed multiple ski swaps and ended up buying one of the kids and my partners skis for less than the rental would have been....

I think I probably just wasn't skiing well / pushing them properly.

@drporat, interesting, the pros are quite rare still and expensive, I liked the thin underfoot as felt super agile, if a little unstable at high speed. But I was also skiing much faster on perfect piste on the Arabba bash.

From what I've read and super helpful posts above I'm definitely going for a fatter AM ski for NZ and may well get a nice piste dedicated ski some time in the future!

Thanks all
snow conditions
I just did a week on a pair of Dynastar m pro 90s. Was very impressed. Gave real confidence on the piste but also felt floaty in the powder we had (and slush down the bottom at the end of the day). Our instructor was also skiing on them as well and sung their praises.
snow report
I'm an AM advocate but only because with a single pair of skis the likelihood of 'mixed' piste (and off piste) conditions is high during the week you are actually skiing.
Would highly recommend the Rossy Experience range; there's a softer more accessible option and a stiffer one both in 82 & 86 widths which will be a great dad ski.

I've just to switched to Head Kore 87s this season and love them - much stiffer but a lot lighter so totally manageable and not at all tiring (I'm 6'1" / 100kgs); they handle crud/chops/slush with ease and are much more refined at speed; being light I can also flick/smear short turns just as easily so a good all round choice IMO.

Seriously looking at BC Mirus Cor and was talking to a French guy skiing with his kids who had them in Tignes the other week; I'm waiting for the prices to drop on this seasons paint job . . .another consideration if you want to splurge is the new BC Octo out next season - 14M radius and a little more accessible than the Mirus Cor allegedly!
latest report
My vote would go to Nordica Enforcer 88s which is a very versatile ski. I find them to be not overly stiff and to be usable at relatively slow speeds but they are also stable when pushing on. Suitable for both on and off piste (short of deep powder).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit late to the party but I have the wingman 82cti and they are a nice ski for piste, slushy piste bumps and powder on piste but not off piste. Son has tried ripstick and didn’t particular like them and not as a one ski quiver. We both really like/own the atomic maverick 95ti and the 88ti might be worth a look. I haven’t tested the mavericks on hard piste but son has and really likes them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy