Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais to 3v via non toll route through France?

Poster: A snowHead
homphomp wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@homphomp,
Quote:

it's the priority to the right rule that will get you if you travel off the main routes in France

It never ceases to amaze me, and frighten me to death, that people still apply this, considering it's many decades since the rule was abolished!

It hasn't been abolished! Still applies in many urban areas, quiet rural lanes, at things that look like roundabouts but aren't Shocked and in the heads of a bunch of older drivers who simply don't care if you're heading down the main road in front of them!!!!
Golly, I didn't realise that it had only been abolished on main roads. (I do always look on other roads, just in case - grew up with the rule, so it's sort of second nature, though I would never gaily swan in from the right myself.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, I always assume that other drivers will gaily swan in whether they have the right of way or not!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sometimes, when driving round "la France profonde" you get a glimpse of what folk used to call a "motoring holiday". Even if one doesn't quite have the right sort of motor.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tango, I do this all the time (and will be doing it again the week after next snowHead )

The speed limits are straightforward. The islands on the rural roads become tortuous, but the scenery can be superb. I'm in the Moho this trip, so will stay on the free motorways around France, filling up on the cheap fuel in Luxembourg. The route becomes unstuck around Geneva, where the vignette saves a lot of time and is annual. I may buy a vignette for the Moho or use the tolls to avoid Switz - we'll see how I feel Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@homphomp,
Quote:

it's the priority to the right rule that will get you if you travel off the main routes in France

It never ceases to amaze me, and frighten me to death, that people still apply this, considering it's many decades since the rule was abolished!

It hasn't been abolished! Still applies in many urban areas, quiet rural lanes, at things that look like roundabouts but aren't Shocked and in the heads of a bunch of older drivers who simply don't care if you're heading down the main road in front of them!!!!

It's very rare that you'll get these on a 'main' road, mostly going through villages on D (Departmental as opposed to National) roads. Look out, as someone else said, for the diamond crossed out sign on entry to a village, which means the p-a-d applies within that village. but also note that 90-odd percent of the time there will be an X sign https://expatsfrance.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2020-05-29-2.png before the junction to warn you of it, certainly on the ones that locals are most likely to come straight out of.

I treat these much as I would a normal British give way, i.e. I slow down enough to get a good view in advance enough to stop or just continue at a reasonable pace. Some drivers, though, will come to a virtual stop before each such junction, so the main danger is not so much cars coming out as cars in front of you stopping where you might not expect it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chaletbeauroc,
Quote:

the main danger is not so much cars coming out as cars in front of you stopping where you might not expect it.
Not to mention cautious people like me, who will stop to look even if they don't strictly need to do so, and then get rear-ended by an over-enthusiastic person behind!
Minefield!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I did it!
Sfab/eosb & back without paying french tolls
Overall mpg from a 2.3l Ducato L1H1 was 38.1mpg, this would have been 39.5 if I hadn't had the hammer down fro S Yorks to Dover after a 2.5 hr delay due to a lorry fire.
I didn't bother with overnight stops, just drove till I felt tired then stopped & set my alarm for a 30 minute nap.
I had plenty of time each way, lorries were no problem, just sit behind them & get better mpg.
Travelling back from the sopib a few years ago we were cruising at max speed limits to catch a tunnel crossing, mpg was 28 on that journey.
So,
Total fuel cost was £351 vs £492 if I had taken the longer/faster autoroute at the speed limits, £141saved + £350 in tolls (2m+ van)
£491 saved = ~£700 earned
In real terms, I think it took me about 10 hrs longer, overall
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tangowaggon, have you got your route saved anywhere, would be interested to see it..... also have you considered the hull ferry esp outbound?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajc2260626 wrote:
@tangowaggon, have you got your route saved anywhere, would be interested to see it..... also have you considered the hull ferry esp outbound?

I didn't save the route, just let google maps take me wherever on the avoid tolls option.
The Hull ferry takes 12 hrs & £900+!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tangowaggon, I found the hull ferry not that much more when you combined the less miles that you drive etc...... but I think that I paid about £200 for the tunnel one way
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dover - Calais, UK driving + crossing is 7.5 hrs for me, feryy was £248 return but I saved £75 via tesco points.
Hull - Rott is 14.5 hrs
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I followed this one

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, interesting.

I think driving a van skews it a lot.

We drive a diesel estate which is pretty economical in general but far more so motorway driving than in a town/suburbs so toll wise we would save less than half the amount you did and less diesel wise.

And doubling the journey time is a killer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

It's very rare that you'll get these on a 'main' road,

Not that rare, the basic rule is priority from the right unless otherwise indicated by signs and that can be on main roads you are driving along at 80kph.

Dangerous to assume that rules in other countries are the same as "back home". (Yes I know back home for you is France/CH)

I agree the rule, on roads where you may be travelling at speed and where small side roads may not be obvious is complete lunacy. One thing to note, priority from the right onto a 2 or 3 lane highway (they do exist!) is only the nearside lane. You can't bowl out into the outside lane - a friend of mine experienced this and the accident wrote of his car.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 26-04-24 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
@tangowaggon, interesting.

I think driving a van skews it a lot.

We drive a diesel estate which is pretty economical in general but far more so motorway driving than in a town/suburbs so toll wise we would save less than half the amount you did and less diesel wise.

And doubling the journey time is a killer.

The van skews it a lot!
2x autoroute tolls & fuel consumption is much more speed dependant
The 2.0 Citroën C5 I had was good for 70 mpg at the speeds I was travelling at in the van/ 50mpg at 130kmh autoroute speeds
snow report
homphomp wrote:

It hasn't been abolished! Still applies in many urban areas, quiet rural lanes,

It actually still applies literally everywhere, unless there's signage to disapply it.

So the diamond signs, stop signs, give way signs and the red-topped posts you get at the end of a road are all indicators of the status of a road. Of course, this means an element of redundancy in the signage as they'll also put up signs where it does apply, as this is not that frequent. Thirty seconds on Google maps found me this:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TR1SAQWKuoC5KXu37

Here you can see a white post with a red top. This indicates to the driver on the main road that the side road has to give way to him. Scroll to the left and you will see the other white post. You will also see a Give Way sign which is there to indicate to the driver on the side road that he has to give way.

But when you join the side road you can see in front of you a red triangle with a cross in it (a sign we sometimes see in England indicating an unmarked crossroads, the bête noire of every driving test student). This warns you that, on the road you have just joined, priorité a droite applies; so anybody coming out of a road joining this minor road has priority over anybody on the less minor road - provided they're coming from the right (i.e. the side of the road on which one drives in France).

What I don't know is whether people joining from, say, their front drive or a layby have priority over traffic on the road.

In the grand scheme of things it's not really something you have to worry much about - any more than in England. (Of course we don't actually have priority from the left, but we do sometimes have ambiguous crossroads where nobody has priority.)

I don't know about this myth of older drivers. They used to say that forty years ago, and those older drivers must be long dead!
ski holidays
Quote:

Not that rare, the basic rule is priority from the right unless otherwise indicated by signs and that can be on main roads you are driving along at 80kph.

When I first rode in France this rule also applied to roundabouts which meant that traffic entering had priority. I found that pretty scary.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

When I first rode in France this rule also applied to roundabouts which meant that traffic entering had priority. I found that pretty scary.

The rule still applies to roundabouts, unless specifically disapplied. As it is at almost every roundabout by a Give Way sign with (just to emphasise the point) "cedez le passage" (give way) written underneath. However the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe (and others) do not have such a sign. And so an unholy mess applies.

To be fair the principle is pretty ubiquitous in Europe, yellow-diamond road-signs indicating prioirty appearing in Spain, Germany, Italy, Norway, Belgium etc. etc. etc.
snow conditions
The French, God bless them, are shit at roundabouts.

But as a long term Milton Keynes resident I probably would say that.
snow conditions
@Layne,
Quote:

The French, God bless them, are poo-poo at roundabouts.

Great! But really now not that true. 10 or 15 years ago they were horrendous and it was pretty much a spectator sport, but now even in the backwater that is La Vendee, most of them have the hang of rond point now.

Also, priorite a droit isn't anywhere near as prevalent as it used to be. We've seen the whole road situation change (for the better) in the last 24 years or so. I think the best thing that made the most difference was getting rid of the voiture sans permit that all the pished up farmers used to drive in between each others caves!

But back to the OP. I agree that driving a van has skewed the costings somewhat. I'd never consider driving across France on toll free roads, it just takes forever and the express BMW uses far too much fuel on normal roads.

Has anyone tried Solnox fuel additive? I used it in my 330ci BMW and got amazing results, about 25% better fuel consumption, (from c.320miles per tank to >400), but tried it in my wife's BMW 120 and it hardly made any difference at all, about 5% max. Both petrol but they do a diesel version.
snow conditions
Any vehicle will be slightly more economical on autoroutes, rather than rural roads, IF they are pootling along at 90kmh.
But every vehicle that I have owned, is far more economical at 90kmh on rural roads rather than 130kmh on autoroutes.
It was very noticeable with our Ford Smax 2.0 diesel, that it had much better mpg on busy UK motorways driving from N Yorks to Dover than on deserted french autoroutes. Typically, fuel consumption was 10% higher on the autoroutes.

Atvautoroute speeds, the Smax did 36mpg, £384 in fuel for the journey I did, sitting at 90kmh, it was good for 55mpg £251 for the same journey.

If you are travelling with a car full of family, and you are footing the bill, it's still worth the extra £300 to take the autoroutes compared to the greif from the kids etc Laughing

If it's a car full of friends sharing the costs, It's a no brainer to take the autoroute, even in a van.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, not affected by the tolls as our t5 campervan is the same as our car, and it is still reasonably economical, but it is nice meandering through France at a slower pace when we can. Probably going to do our trip down to Monetier to the west of Paris in September.
@Ski Shagger, can I ask what website your screen shot is from please?
snow report
@tangowaggon, interesting statistics about fuel consumption. Cruising at 130 my wife’s Skoda 2 litre diesel does 45 mpg and about the same on rural roads where the speed limit is 80. I imagine this is because the rural roads we tend to be on are negotiating lots of small villages and towns or have lots of hairpins. Oh for those long deserted d roads I used to do on my motorcycle
snow report
johnE wrote:
@tangowaggon, interesting statistics about fuel consumption. Cruising at 130 my wife’s Skoda 2 litre diesel does 45 mpg and about the same on rural roads where the speed limit is 80. I imagine this is because the rural roads we tend to be on are negotiating lots of small villages and towns or have lots of hairpins. Oh for those long deserted d roads I used to do on my motorcycle

I guess it must be driving style, when I'm getting 39.5mpg out of a 2.3 litre, 3 tonne van on those rural roads. Puzzled
latest report
We have done 2 trips from Edinburgh to Meribel this winter, first one December/January and second March/April. We drive a petrol Peugeot Rifter and do not go over 110kph (70mph) as it gives better fuel economy and doesn't seem to make the journey much longer. We have driven to France from Scotland over 50 times.

First trip we used the Hull overnight ferry but returned Calais/Dover ferry. Its only the second time we have used the Hull ferry and would not do it again as the drive from Rotterdam to the alps is so tiring in winter months when there are fewer hours of daylight and lots of spray from other vehicles (12+ hours even with 2 drivers). Going via Dover gives 2 days of travel with an overnight stop in N France.

Trip 1
Total distance driven 2100 miles
Fuel 241litres, £340
Tolls £98
Ferry costs £315
Hotel costs £66
Total £819

Trip 2
Distance 2200 miles
Fuel 247litres, £375
Tolls £128
Ferry costs £170
Hotel costs £116
Total £789

So the Hull route cost £30 more and was 1 hour less in total driving time but a dreadful drive from Rotterdam. We will stick with the Dover route and using the ferry gives us a good rest after the drive from Scotland. Each to their own way!
snow report
Having done Newhaven - Dieppe the first time we drove to Andorra, we nearly missed our ferry outbound due to an accident, on the way back, we were early & had to wait 5 hrs.
This is one more reason why I've never bothered with the Hull ferry, you need to be sure to get there well in time to allow for delays.
I was delayed by 2.5 hrs on my drive to Dover due to a lorry fire on the A1 but I got straight onto the next available ferry that departed just 1.5 hrs after the one I was booked on Eh oh!
Had I missed the Hull ferry, it's 24hrs till the next, or drive to Dover/Calais
latest report
I guess the Hull ferry makes sense if you are heading for the Netherlands from the north, but skiing is a bit limited there Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Hells Bells, that screenshot is from about-france.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, More to do with the rural roads we are on. Almost no cruising in top gear but lots of slowing down, accelerating and stop start. Can do a lot better on the long deserted D roads of the empty diagonal.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, …I travel from Calais to the Valais a number of times and have done it for 25 years. It is entirely possible to use non autoroute N roads and with careful choice these can be fun, interesting and relaxing. Some are long and straight and easy.
ski holidays
@Ski Shagger, where was the final destination in the alps?

it doesn't say on the route directions where you were ending up, i did a quick google map route checker from Calais to the 3v's via non motorways, and it was generally skirting via northern France, so am assuming it was a more westerly resort.

we went to VT from Caen at easter, and i had decided to go via Loire valley route compared to Paris, albeit via the autoroutes, i am glad we did as i had never been to the Auvergne region before and it looked stunning.

some 25 years ago now, pre-kids, me and my now ex wife travelled around Normandy and the Loire valley for a couple of weeks on the back roads, staying on campsites/cheap B&B's, this was before smart phones so the choices were made via "rough guide" books and an E.leclerc map. we decided to make it our goal to tick off as many of the supermarket chains stores that we could, i know, we were sad!!!!

i think in future i may look at doing a trip or two via non autoroutes, and taking my time to get there and visiting some off the beat and track villages.

i doubt if it will save any money in the long run, as the saving on the tolls would probably end up going on something else.
snow conditions
When I go to the 3V ..or anywhere else in that area I usually go Calais Lille Luxembourg (cheap fuel) Matz Nancy Besancon Gex Annecy 604 miles and about 14 hours driving ..but I usually do an ovenight just outside Lux ..the hotels are really cheap ..but theres no tolls
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, this one https://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

@terrygasson, I was on the EoSB and stayed on for a few days in the small aire behind P2 in VT. The route was great for most of the way, the last couple of hours to Albertville (where I overnighted on Friday) had 50+ roundabouts
ski holidays
@DaveD, Your route takes 5 hours longer of driving (even with stops it takes 9:30 from Calais to Les Arcs), an overnight stay and saves 80€ in tolls over the autotoute. I'm afraid I prefer the more relaxed cruise down the autoroute listening to talking books than the non toll roads. However, when I used to tour Europe on my motorcycle I avoided toll roads and motorways and took my time looking at the scenery.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, did you look in to the Eurotunnel costs vs the Ferry? Usually it's a fair bit more expensive, however when we drove back from the UK on the weekend it was only c.£40 more vs the Ferry so it was a no brainer.

The OH took the ferry back to the UK and got lucky that she turned up early just before the previous boat was leaving so got bumped forward on to that.

On our train back, we arrived c.2hours early, and they were able to move us forward 1 hour, and then when it go to it we ended up on the train before so a further 20 mins early.
snow report
@swskier,
Yep, I check ferry vs tunnel each time, I thought the tunnel was a good deal this year, a few £ cheaper than the ferry, then I realised it was just for the outbound journey, so the tunnel was nearly 2x the price rolling eyes
I actually got a breakfast & a brief sleep on the way back on the ferry.
I slept on the tunnel last time, only to be woken up by the staff with a completely empty train in front of me, and a few irate drivers behind Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
I slept on the tunnel last time, only to be woken up by the staff with a completely empty train in front of me, and a few irate drivers behind Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@DaveD, Your route takes 5 hours longer of driving (even with stops it takes 9:30 from Calais to Les Arcs), an overnight stay and saves 80€ in tolls over the autotoute. I'm afraid I prefer the more relaxed cruise down the autoroute listening to talking books than the non toll roads. However, when I used to tour Europe on my motorcycle I avoided toll roads and motorways and took my time looking at the scenery.

Tangowaggon said that the toll cost was double for a van so both ways that €360 and he's in a van which cant go that quickly
ski holidays
Vehicle classifications:
https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm

SANEF tariffs:
https://www.storage.sanef.com/peage/2024-02-01-Grille-tarifaire-SANEF-2024.pdf

eg. From Calais to Reims on the A2:
Class 1 (car): €26.00
Class 2 (>2m): €37.90 (~*1.5)
Class 3 (>3m + 2axles): €52.80 (~*2.0)
Class 4 (>3m + >2axles): €70.40 (~*2.7)
Class 5 (motorbike): €15.80 (~*0.6)
Those relationships seem to apply to most tolls across France.

Note that prices on the A1 to Paris can change with time:
https://www.autoroutes.sanef.com/sites/default/files/2024-01/2024-02-01-Grille-modulation-Sanef-2024.pdf

Tilly, our big camper, counts as a class 3 so we tend to avoid tolls where we can. Although, when we are going to Brittany, we use bits of the A16 'cos the alternative is awful.
snow conditions
Just had a look on toll guru, which offers a hybrid toll/non toll route for 2.2m van
Fastest €222.70
Cheapest €103.70 & +13min

I saved about £500 in fuel & tolls, that's about £700 pre tax income / 2 days work.
I'm self employed, so no restrictions on time off or days worked, so, in this case, I spent 10 hrs motoring through the French countryside instead of 16 hrs at work for the same money Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy