Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thollon-les-Mémises information

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any information or recommendations about Thollon-les-Mémises. There are a few historic reviews and a fair bit of love for the place on here but all a little while ago now.

I’m considering taking my two 8 year olds for their first trip next January (week after New Year). It ticks a lot of boxes: close to Geneva Airport, pretty village, good for children and beginners, one or two half decent slopes for adults and, most importantly, much cheaper accommodation and lift passes than the likes of St Gervais, Praz Sur Arly and Sameons, which are also on our list.

I guess the catch is, more limited ski area and perhaps a bit of faff with the transfer (train to Evian then cab up the hill)? But it could be worth the sacrifice..

Anything else I have missed?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, TLM is one of the cheapest ski resorts in France. It can be exposed to wind and cloud and one of the decent slopes that does descend into the trees is not always open, particularly in the low season. There are a lot of short drag lifts.
I would suggest looking at Bernex just around the corner. Transfer is equivalent from Evian/Thonon and accommodation/lift pass prices should be comparable. There are a number of drag lifts, but you can get to the top and ski down to the car park without using them. The resort is more sheltered but is lower and can suffer from poor snow and fog. This year the resort closed at the end of the half term holidays due to poor conditons (TLM remained open). I have owned in TLM for a few years yet took my children around to Bernex to learn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks@BergenBergen, that is useful to know. Whilst I have studied the piste map it’s difficult to get the level of detail you provide. Hopefully January will see enough snow (although who knows these days) but it could be windy and/ or foggy, so interesting to hear that you think Bernex is a better bet.

I did have a look at Bernex and I think I found accommodation a bit less plentiful, but can keep trying.

Thanks again
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here are the piste maps for Thollon and Bernex

http://ot-peva.ski/plan-thollon-alpin/?fbclid=IwAR1PSoApqItDOGH9QqEUFl3xDLl24rAJZW9KUe-yy-FT9HH86dFy4UvFEzc

http://ot-peva.ski/plan-bernex-alpin/?fbclid=IwAR1PSoApqItDOGH9QqEUFl3xDLl24rAJZW9KUe-yy-FT9HH86dFy4UvFEzc

For Bernex the beginners area is at the top of the Le Pre-Richard Chair. This is a small plateau within a small bowl that has a couple of restos that overlook the area. The majority of pistes return to this area so if the kids are confident yo can let them ski off knowing they wont get lost. You can also ski back to the car park on a blue run.

The Thollon ski area is accessed via the gondola. There is a small beginners area served by a carpet to the right of the gondol/resto but for the main skiing you will need to ski down to it. Likewise you will need the chair to get back to the gondola.

However, if you are planning to visit without a car, then the Thollon station is more compact with a supermarket, bars and hire shops easily accessible. Bernex village on the other hand is more dispersed with the lifts a distance from the centre. There are village navettes but consider accommodation location. There are also navettes between Thollon, Bernex and also Evian.

see Thollon . org
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We won’t have a car and as you say, Thollon village looked pretty convenient for everything.

Good to know that there are Navettes connecting Thollon and Bernex. I couldn’t see any online and if the girls are happy in ski school it would be good to explore the other area quickly.

Thanks again for the intel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@EdYarker, I visited Thollon and Bernex for a day each in Jan 2020 (with below average snow conditions). Click through to either one of the trip reports in my signature and you can get to the relevant report from there.

I would probably also recommend Bernex over Thollon (just). I think there is a shared lift pass arrangement - perhaps also covering Abondance if I recall correctly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are both places we often take a day trip to from Chatel and good value and fun if the snow is decent.

Not much help in choosing a beginner location but they are both nice chilled places.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The views from Thollon over lake Geneva and into Switzerland are spectacular on a clear day, quite different to most ski resorts in the Alps.

It's a good resort for beginners and intermediates but often suffers from poor snow due to low altitude. I learnt to ski there, and had many family holidays there as a child - we would typically spend maybe half the week at Thollon, and then go to Bernex, Chatel and Les Gets too. The new chairlift to the top and the new gondola both installed about 10 years ago made big improvements to the ski area!

Going to Thollon without a car does seem a bit of a risk - if the snow is poor at Thollon it will probably be poor at Bernex too. Nearby-ish places such as Chatel, Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, are more snow-sure but would need a car to get to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks@denfinella, @DJL, @musehead, for your contributions. I’m getting the picture that, like many resorts, the area is lovely in good conditions…

I guess the safest option at this point, is to buy the flights whilst they are relatively cheap and keep an eye on accommodation but hopefully leave committing until near departure, with the option of bailing to a larger resort if necessary (and saving some extra €s in the meantime for this eventuality).

Thanks again for the insights.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EdYarker, yes, that sounds like a sensible approach.

As your backup, somewhere like La Chapelle d'Abondance / Chatel is unlikely to be too much more expensive for accommodation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I guess the safest option at this point, is to buy the flights whilst they are relatively cheap and keep an eye on accommodation but hopefully leave committing until near departure

Yes, that sounds good to me too. Are you absolutely opposed to renting a car?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your endorsements @denfinella, and @Origen. I guess I could look at car hire but would rather not if possible. I find it a faff and fairly expensive (although I realise that transfers for 4 will not necessarily be cheap).
The two girls will be stuck in the same place for the week at ski school so having the flexibility of a car once there will be of minimal benefit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy