Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for advanced slalom ski

Poster: A snowHead
My wife is looking for a new ski.
She is a high intermediate to advanced skier with a good technique. She can do most slopes but does not like speed.
She is 155cm and about 51Kg.
Her current ski is an Atomic Vantage 74 and she wants more edge grip, i.e. probably a stiffer ski that turns well at around 150cm length.

She has rented a Kastle DX73 150 for one day and found that one quite nice.
Any recommendations for other models to fit the bill?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about the Head "Super Joy". https://www.head.com/en_GB/super-joy-315603-set.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic Cloud 11?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get a full SL ski (doesn't need to be FIS) in about 150. Any brand will do. The grip is tenacious for a strong technical skier and she'll be able to do about 10 turns to a regular punter's 1, plus rebound is a fun joyride.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Get a full SL ski (doesn't need to be FIS) in about 150. Any brand will do. The grip is tenacious for a strong technical skier and she'll be able to do about 10 turns to a regular punter's 1, plus rebound is a fun joyride.

This, of course is if she's as good as made out to be.

Sadly something that rarely happens on these pages
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CathyAuLait wrote:
Atomic Cloud 11?

I have a friend who is an 'Atomic Expert' i.e. one of the people who will answer your questions on the Atomic website. She says for women the answer is always Cloud 9, if it needs to be higher performance then Redster S/X/G7 so if you want a slalom ski S7.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Atomic Redster S9. Great ski.

A friend loved his rented Head World Cup Rebels so much that he bought a pair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure if an upper intermediate/lower advanced skier could really get a pair of short radius 'advanced' slalom skis working. There's a fair bit of effort, speed and technique required to have them really doing their thing. Look for short radius, but maybe an intermediate level of stiffness?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

OP again.

Not sure what use this comment is.
I have been skiing since I was a kid and am 58 now, still - stupidly - going down couloirs, blacks and off piste wherever I can. I think I can assess a skiers ability.

Thank you for the replies.
I have looked at Cloud 9. Before the current Vantage she had the Cloud 7. With the Redster range I just associate speed and I usually see those recommended for men. Will check their website again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs Ld has the Atomic S9. A very impressive ski. She also found the cloud series too soft.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At 51kg she could try the biggest jr FIS SL ski. So Rossignol hero athlete pro sl 149cm, dynastar omeglass team, Fischer RC4 WC SL jr 150cm. Cheap and you get a floating binding. I bought a pair of the rossignols with nx10 binding for £265 delivered from sport conrad recently. If you dont like it they sell like hot cakes anyway so nothing lost.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rossi Hero Elite ST Tis always seemed attractive to me. (There was a full-on FIS model too.) The All Turns (ML now, I think) were much lighter, but still a nice all-round ski imho. Think that they've been superceded or upgraded now but maybe the new models are still good?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rossi Hero Elite ST, this is what I have. I love them, tried out several models in Jan this year and these for me were outstanding so our purchased a pair. They carve very well, I keep pushing them harder and harder, love them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs Flattsix and I both wanted “cheater” slalom skis, for skiing round with our young kids. After demoing a few pairs, Mrs Flattsix went with the Volkl Racetiger SL, which she absolutely loves and have become her default skis. Not being quite the same standard of skier… I went with the Rossignal Hero Elite ST, which I found to be a touch less demanding.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get a snowboard
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
Get a snowboard

A snowboard for her will make me a widower.....
snow report
Glosterwolf wrote:
At 51kg she could try the biggest jr FIS SL ski. So Rossignol hero athlete pro sl 149cm, dynastar omeglass team, Fischer RC4 WC SL jr 150cm. Cheap and you get a floating binding. I bought a pair of the rossignols with nx10 binding for £265 delivered from sport conrad recently. If you dont like it they sell like hot cakes anyway so nothing lost.

I think this is a good call. Mrs snow skis the Dynastar jnr SL 149 and loves it.
snow report
Gazdok wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

OP again.

Not sure what use this comment is.
I have been skiing since I was a kid and am 58 now, still - stupidly - going down couloirs, blacks and off piste wherever I can. I think I can assess a skiers ability.

Thank you for the replies.
I have looked at Cloud 9. Before the current Vantage she had the Cloud 7. With the Redster range I just associate speed and I usually see those recommended for men. Will check their website again.

I ask the question about ability every year from a large number of Snowheads.
Every year many of them get it wrong... generalising the boys overestimate, the girls underestimate...
The statement was very valid... You've addressed it, but no need for the grump.

Somebody by the description you've given should be on a no compromise piste ski. As stiff as she's comfortable with... Length? probably really quite dinky.
ski holidays
Quote:

I ask the question about ability every year from a large number of Snowheads.
Every year many of them get it wrong... generalising the boys overestimate, the girls underestimate...
The statement was very valid... You've addressed it, but no need for the grump.

Yep, average 1-2 week Brit skiers tend to massively overestimate ability, so it's a valid point. I do find it a bit surprising how many self-proclaimed "advanced" and "expert" skiers on here need advice on ski choice. Most of the decent skiers I know would have a pretty small shortlist based on knowing what they like, what works for them, and a general understanding of the current market.
snow conditions
I am asking for advice on ski choice because we buy our skis every 6 - 7 years, being twice in a winter for 10 - 14 days per trip. I also read through ski tests, but personal experience is a valuable information. Last time I properly looked at the "market" was before corona, which is when 4 people changed skis.
I know the category of ski that I want or my wife would like to be on.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:

I do find it a bit surprising how many self-proclaimed "advanced" and "expert" skiers on here need advice on ski choice. Most of the decent skiers I know would have a pretty small shortlist based on knowing what they like, what works for them, and a general understanding of the current market.

Not everybody, though. I buy new skis perhaps once every three or four years, but within any given ski type probably closer to ten. My current GS ones are at least that old (having replaced Slalom and Off-piste skis in the last three years). Every time I do I start from scratch, looking at what's changed in the market, or in my skiing, since the last time I looked and working from there. Between times I have pretty much zero interest in, and therefore zero understanding, of the current market.

So no, I start from a blank sheet each time, no shortlist, no brand expectations or loyalty. To be fair I wouldn't ask such basic questions on Snowheads or similar, but that's more on the basis that most people tend to just recommend what they ride.

I'm the same with cars, bikes, phones, computers, almost anything changeable over time. I may know a lot about their use, sometimes even in a professional capacity, but in no cases do I make a hobby out of following current trends.

Gazdok wrote:

She is a high intermediate to advanced skier with a good technique. She can do most slopes but does not like speed.

This is often a red flag. A good skier will ski fast. Period. If she doesn't like going fast she's not suited to going with a proper (i.e. race) Slalom ski, which are fundamentally designed for speed. Look for an intermediate-level ski, maybe a Slalom radius but wider and softer.
latest report
try these my better half improved immensely using https://www.snow-online.com/ski/head-epic-joy-2022.htmlp . we have had a lot of hard pack icey runs this season and she nailed all the blacks including the moguls with confidence and style .
snow conditions
@petedavoski, now I've stopped skiing off-piste, I am casting covetous glances on a ski like this, to replace my AMs. Is it truly light, as per blurb? Carrying heavy skis is an issue for me.
I so wish there was going to be a ski test at the EoSB.
ski holidays
they are 10.2lbs for the pair including bindings at 153cm according to our scales
snow report
@petedavoski, Very Happy
snow report
@Hurtle, I can sympathise with the light ski issue in terms of carrying them (as opposed to skiing them). One reason that I now use mainly the Rossi ATs; light and well balanced, able easily to be carried with just about any chosen technique you wish Laughing
I skied a pair of similar Heads not long ago - wider waist, but very light. Boy, did it take some getting used to! Far too flexible, I think.
That's so often the trade-off though: stiffness for weight. (Modern materials should be able to address this, one hopes )
snow report
@Grizzler,
Quote:

Far too flexible, I think.
That's so often the trade-off though: stiffness for weight

Yeah, I found that with my old Dynastars. But this business of carrying them can't be ignored - in my case not helped by being knee-high to a grasshopper combined with having severe rotator cuff issues in my dominant, ski-carrying arm.
What I really need to do is give myself a severe talking-to, along the lines of reminding myself that I'm perfectly capable of holding an edge, even on very hard hardpack as experienced in Spain a few weeks ago, with my trusty AM Scott Lunas, and that shelling out vast sums for a new pair of skis is extravagant and unnecessary! One can dream, though.
snow report
@Hurtle, I think that all skiing gentle ladies of a certain age, or with arm/neck/shoulder (or other - delete as appropriate) issues, should by necessity be assigned a valet wink
One can also dream...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grizzler, Laughing
latest report
From my wife's experience, Atomic Redster or Rossi hero at the appropriate level. My wife didn't enjoy the Atomic redster S9 so much ( too imprecise ) and is much happier with the Hero FIS SL. They let you ski turns like a duracell bunny all day long as long as you can drive them. Really best to try some skiis at a demo place , and see what really suits, or you will end up with 2 or 3 unused pairs sitting in a rack ..... don't ask Very Happy
snow report
@Gazdok, I rented Kastle dx73 for a few days back in December.
It is probably the most comfortable ski I've ever used. I'd been using Head Magnums the day before, but as I'm getting older I asked for something easier and the Dx73 were just so cosy. I did change them, but only to go up a size from 155cm (i think) to 163.

Last time out I managed to get hold of a pair Stockli CX, I was not sure about them at first, but after a couple of hours I got the hang of them and they repaid in spades.

These two are my current favourites.
Kastle dx73 for a really smooth confident ride...
Or Stockli CX for something with a bit more salt in your porridge.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy