Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes 1800 week 15th-22nd December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I’m wondering what the skiing is like mid December if you’re based in Tignes 1800. We’ve just returned from a week staying in 1800 and are looking at rebooking the chalet for 15th-22nd December but I’ve never been so early in the season!

Is everything generally open by then? I am aware we would be subject to a severely reduced bus timetable at this time of year. Also I don’t want to be relying on a car to access the slopes if the lifts aren’t open down there for example!

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Tignes that week this season and the lifts were open down to Les Brevieres but I’m not sure that all the accommodation was open in 1800 that week. So we booked higher up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve skied in Tignes early Dec for the last 10 years. The snow is generally very good. Most of the ski area will be open by then and it’s usually the discounted pass week as well! Probably the best bet for pre Christmas skiing anywhere in the Alps! 1800 is quiet early Dec which is a shame but generally starts waking up the week you are looking at.

Yes you are right regarding the buses. It was the 23rd Dec this season when the buses started running normally to 1800! Luckily we now drive out so happy to use car at night and luckily there was enough snow to open the Bois gondala and Aguille Rouge chair for skiing. Given the choice/risk I'd also look at Lac or Lavachet unless you are happy using your own car and paying parking. Fingers crossed they will start the buses when the season starts next Christmas Eh oh! but they haven't for the last 7 years Eh oh! .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Regarding buses that’s not quite right! Before Xmas week the busses are frequent all day long but don’t continue into the evening. From memory they run ½ hourly except lunchtime and finish at 630pm, so ok for early après. December 2023 also had a daytime bus up from Brévières.

You won’t be disappointed. As James mentioned skiing is generally excellent. You may find some lifts and runs not open though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum wrote:
We went to Tignes that week this season and the lifts were open down to Les Brevieres but I’m not sure that all the accommodation was open in 1800 that week. So we booked higher up.

Thanks for this! There seems to be lots of different information regarding the frequency of the buses. As you were there this week last season would you please be able to confirm their frequency/were they severely reduced?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Camillarj1, I skied down to 1800 and Les brevieres a few times that week and all the runs were open. However we stayed in Val claret so I don’t know how many residences were open in 1800 or whether there was an evening bus service. There was definitely a daytime ski bus running as I once took a bus from le lac to Val claret and noticed a bus leaving for 1800 at the same time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowymum wrote:
@Camillarj1, I skied down to 1800 and Les brevieres a few times that week and all the runs were open. However we stayed in Val claret so I don’t know how many residences were open in 1800 or whether there was an evening bus service. There was definitely a daytime ski bus running as I once took a bus from le lac to Val claret and noticed a bus leaving for 1800 at the same time.

Okay, thanks that’s handy to know!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Boisses gondola is generally open by that week. However it is impossible to be 100% sure as it depends on snow conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the other good thing about 1800 (we do love it down here) is if you do have the car and have to use it, its as quick to drive to ValD as Lac, its just the parking costs at either! The snow has normally been good to us early December and the pistes are nice and quiet, we've normally skied in/out from start to end of season! We have started coming out later last few years so just before xmas mainly due to bus access rather than poor snow and we work to our 90 days now. Maybe we will go back to coming out earlier if buses are better next season, I do miss quiet slopes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also a new 6 seat Marais chair is going to be installed this summer but no guarantees it will be available for your plans sign says xmas 24, great news for 1800 and Brev tho.

Regarding the Boisses gondola it is completely snow dependent. In fact, in dec 2022 you could’ve argued there was enough snow, but it didn’t run until Xmas week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Camillarj1, Why gamble on conditions if you don't have a compelling reason to stay in 1800.

Stay up in Lac or Val Claret at that time of the Season. Easier access to everything, both on and off the snow. Pool, Tignespace, bars and resto's. Take advantage of what limited daylight there is late December.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, another similar question. Will most of the more difficult runs be open that time of year (December/January), I know what February and March are like, but can I do that in December/January?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy