Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - we’ve had a nightmare !

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
So’ve had a nightmare - meant to be ski-ing right now in Obergurgl, Austria and despite checking our passports - I obviously thought it was 2023 still at the time as my daughters passport ran out this month and we lost the whole holiday. The quickest we can get a child’s passport is by Weds 10th April.
We can only book something on this day to go the next day for 4 days to try to resurrect it.
It was our first family ski holiday and insurance doesn’t cover so we are devastated.

Can anyone help advise ?

Best ski-ing Europe Thurs 11th April - Monday 15th April 2024 ? Good for beginners ( we have ski-ed before but our children have not ) with snow still at that time.
The chicken need ski school if still available.
Obergurgls season will have stopped by that weekend sadly.
Many thanks in advance !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Children - autocorrect !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads Tilly. I am sorry to hear about this such a shame for you. The most snow sure resort that I can think of that is suitable for beginners is stubai glacier but I am sure there will be far more knowledgeable people along shortly to advise.

Oh and you can just edit posts if you like by clicking the box with scissors to the right of comment.

Happy Easter Sunday all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl is open until the beginning of May.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Firstly have you tried looking for appointments for the one day passport service? I live in the south but went in a quick trip to Liverpool to do mine as most of the slots were there or Belfast.

In terms of resorts with enough snow at that time you could go to Tignes or Val Thorens if you wanted the most snow sure place. However Montgenevre is usually open to the end of April on its north facing side and has excellent beginner skiing. I think it has benefited form the recent snow falls but would double check the current snow depths there. If you don’t need a huge mileage for yourselves I think montgenevre would be a good option. It isn’t too far from Turin airport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As above, Stubai glacier is open until 20th may - it's like a mini self contained ski resort for late season skiing.

Fly to Innsbruck and less than an hour away, with various villages with accommodation in the valley

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/stubai-glacier-stubaier-gletscher/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok thank you so much.
Due to the Easter, the first appointments were weds anywhere in the country which was frustrating. They now apparently only do one week emergency passports for children also !

Everything has conspired against us in the last few days which is so frustrating.
I’ve seen North facing mentioned quite a bit - is this a good thing ?

Val Thorens looks especially good - is this good for beginners and families ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah north facing is good and VT is good for beginners.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tillyfulford,
Poor you, the above resorts and Tignes should all be fine for the children learning to ski. Before booking though I would check with the ski school that they have an available teacher for lessons. They may not be able to get into group beginner lessons midweek and you will likely need a private instructor.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obertauern is an option. Definitely beginner friendly.

The conditions in Ischgl a couple of weeks ago were brilliant. And they have had more snow since.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tillyfulford, am currently in VT, excellent snow conditions, as it has been snowing on and off for the last couple of days, and due to being so high, will stay that way for your dates.

VT is definitely beginner friendly, i learnt here over 30 years ago Very Happy

hope you have better luck with holiday from now on
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt will be open then. There should be plenty of short-term accommodation, and the transfers are by train.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@T Bar is right about lessons. Don't go without booking what you need. I'd probably say Tignes but it's the one I know. Others probably fine. But lessons. Will be make or break.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Honestly you'll be fine at any of the higher places this season.
I'm in Verbier and the snow depth up on the top 2/3 of the mountain is at a 20 year record.
Don't come to verbier though...it's terrible for beginners at the moment, all the baby slopes are at the bottom and now grass.

As regards lessons I doubt you'll find group lessons for the kids, you'll need to go private and that can be expensive.
I'd suggest you find who the independent instructors are where you decide to go and contact them directly. You could be pleasantly surprised how negotiable they might be as the chances of them having any other bookings that late are very slim.

What a stress for you...but you will have a great time once you sort it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tillyfulford, sorry to hear about your nightmare loss of the holiday.

I’m not sure from your posts what your travel arrangements or preferences might be.
Self drive from UK? Arrange own flights then rent a car? A package if available?

On the plus side, should be plenty accommodation available then. Midweek flights and onward transfers more of a problem.

Val Thorens would be a good choice. Tignes also. Location within the resorts quite important for beginners.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Thanks all.
There is a chance we may have to book everything for the day after due to having to wait for the passport.

I’m not sure companies do this ( even the flexible last minute Heidi website says up to two days …)

Any tips Ont be best way to book the trip for potentially the next day ?
snow report
Some Tips:

CONTEXT - I'm taking the family for a week in Avoriaz (France) but flying on strange dates: this Thursday to Thursday (as I could get free Avios flights on those dates).

FLIGHTS - You can search for flights on 'google flights'.

ACCOM - We found Vrbo.com and Booking.com to be the easiest way to get bookings that didn't run Sat to Sat - they are similar to AirBnB but a bit cheaper. Also check Pierre et Vacances (same group company as centre parcs I think) who are a reliable generic middle of the road operator for anything in France - they allow mid week bookings and will have loads of availability of stuff ready to go at that time of season. They wont have an issue with last minute booking.

TRANSFERS - Be aware that in late season a lot of the regular shared transfer / bus services from airports to resorts shut down or only run on weekends (and may be all booked up). If you cant get a shared transfer then a private transfer can be expensive if its a long transfer. So either go somewhere close ish to an airport (Avoriaz is high and 1.25 hr from Geneva). We are using Action Transfers who are the company that Heidi used when we booked with them last year. PS Train transfer from airport was technically doable but we rejected this option as it was all looking a bit complicated/slow: flight to Lyon then cab to train station then train (possibly with a change) to nearish resort, then cab to resort at the other end.

LESSONS - We found no one would allow kids to start group lessons midway through the week of lessons - so we booked private lesson upto Saturday and found a school that would allow us to book group lessons starting on the Sunday on a day by day basis ... (but many of the ski schools would only book a full week). We used www.skibro.com to book the ski lessons... lots of private instructors but also a handy list of smaller ski schools that we approached for group lessons).

In summary I've had good results with DIY approach. does require some extra leg work but you can get a pretty cheap holiday at the end of it. I'd research it all before booking any single part of it. There is no point booking up all your travel only to find there are no affordable ski school options.

One other thought - some websites have last minute deals sections - but doubt many do odd dates. You could try www.skiweekends.com they are similar to Heidi but you arrange your own flights (and they do accom and transfer). But it'll generally be chalet hols so might cost a bit more.

Good luck!
snow report
Thank you so much for all of your time.

One last question about the ski lessons - it looks like lessons are only available privately from 12pm.
My kids are complete beginners - how many hours per day and how many days would you do between Thursday and Monday.
I realise this is the expensive option but may be our only choice Eh oh!
ski holidays
@Tillyfulford, …ring the ski school office. Don’t rely on the website. A great friend of mine runs a ski school and he would welcome a call which gives his instructors additional clients - they will likely have flexibility at this time of year - just talk to a senior person in the ski school.
ski holidays
Tillyfulford wrote:
Hi,
Best ski-ing Europe Thurs 11th April - Monday 15th April 2024 ? Good for beginners ( we have ski-ed before but our children have not ) with snow still at that time.
The chicken need ski school if still available.
Obergurgls season will have stopped by that weekend sadly.
Many thanks in advance !

On the Obergurgl website it looks like everything is open until 21 April 2024 - It's the highest resort in Austria so it would be strange to be closed on the days you are looking to travel.
latest report
2 hours is enough to be useful. 3 hours would give you a bit more useable time to ski on your own.

With private tuition they will progress much faster so can possibly do easier runs in the afternoon with you after a couple of days. But it might be really slushy in the afternoon - particularly low down…
snow report
3 hours solid is a long time for kids. I think I'd go for two hours on every full day, if the budget will stand for it.
ski holidays
They should make really good progress in that time, and get hooked on skiing!
ski holidays
Brilliant !
Thank you.
Another question answered.
Love this group and thanks so much for taking the time to answer and help Smile
latest report
Val thorens suits your needs.
I’m here now. With kids.
Great snow.
Lots of ski schools. Lots of magic carpets for the kids too.

Call the ski schools tho. To work out what they can offer you. So late in the season you should have some choice.

Otherwise someone else recommended snobro and it does look good for finding a private instructor or a smaller lesser known ski school

Val thorens is a long transfer. Either hire a car or try Alpine Fleet bus. My friends used them and worked really well.

If kids are beginners try staying in Montana as it is right on the beginner slope right where both ESF, Ski Cool
And New Generation ski schools meet each day.

We are renting an apartment thru air bnb (in Les Lauzieres Residence) and it is close but a bit more of a faff than our friends are having.

We have been doing the 4h lessons with New Generation for our kids and they are cream crackered by lunchtime but having an amazing time. Also 4h means we can get some good runs in without them!!

I took smallest to the pool this afternoon which she loved.
ski holidays
Ok - you guys have been so amazing so far.

Thought would fill you in on our progress.
We have been given the use of a chalet in Belle Plagne for next week and it looks like group ski lessons for the kids are available ( I can fly by myself with the children to get them in on time) and my husband will follow in a day or two later.
So we are at least going to get to go Eh oh! Eh oh!
The passport should be arriving tomorrow .

Flight wise we can fly into Lyon and out from Geneva which is the most inexpensive way. It’s nearly £500 more expensive to fly back from Lyon.

We can’t hire a car as I will be travelling by myself ( too stressful !) and private transfers may be prohibitively expensive.

Anyone know of the best way on a shared transfer from Lyon to Belle Plagne and back to Geneva ideally by bus ?
I’ve googled some options but it’s difficult to tell what might be best.
Thank you Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@Tillyfulford, depending on timing, train to/from Aime-La-Plagne might be possible. Combined with taxi to/from Belle Plagne.

Probably works best for early flight out and late return.
snow report
I know you say driving is too stressful and I sympathize (different side of the road, relying on google maps etc ..) but I'm not always convinced that the alternative of relying on public transportation or shared transfers is always better. Having sat with a tired and fed up child constantly asking where the delayed bus was and also having dragged said child between platforms it wasn't any less stressful. At least in a car you can control your destiny to some extent and some of the mid winter concerns are less pertinent at this time of year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy