Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying first set of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, haha, fair enough. We've had people coming in saying their boots don't work and/or are poorly designed. Diplomacy is the key to explaining there is nothing wrong with the boot, however......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@IainMcT, If you’re in Cervinia then you should hop on over to Zermatt and go to the Stockli test centre at Trockener Steg. They (usually) have the entire Stockli range and, if I recall correctly, you can have a pair for a day for around 40CHF.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="Jonny996"]@IainMcT, I would say yes but them, it is not going to be any cheaper than renting but you will get to know them & skiing is a confidence past time.

in my experience ( we are same shape Happy ) I would push width out to 80 min & your length out to 173.

Hello Jonny, can you tell me what your reasoning is for an 80mm sidecut? I hired skis with an 84mm waist and it certainly helped with the slushy snow later in the day at the bottom of the resort. But for a purely on piste carving ski wouldn’t a narrower waist be better?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Dr John,
Just had a look at the Stöckli skis. They are an 88mm waist and a free rider ski. I’ve been looking at more piste and all mountain skis as I really only ski on piste. I have found a larger waist of 84mm helped with sliding of slushy crud. Why a free rider ski though?

Dr John wrote:
@IainMcT, my advice would be to not over think it. You sound like an advanced intermediate, and can probably drive an advanced intermediate ski. Around 80-85 underfoot, 14-16m radius (any less that that will be extremely twitchy in a straight line). They will come with bindings so no need to worry about that. Every manufacturer will have something that fits that bill, so then it's down to cost and if you like the colour (seriously, you have to live with them so you might as well like the way they look). Go to a ski shop and tell them that, they should have something they recommend, then you do your own googling to see if the general reviews are favourable. Personal advice - If budget not an option, look at the Stockli Stormrider 88 as an all-rounder, or Nordica Spitfire range as a more dedicated piste basher.

@Layne, what on earth are you doing to warrant one broken bindings and two edges in 3 pairs of skis? might just be exceptionally bad luck on your part, but I think it's worth stating that complete failures like that happen very rarely. Never in my several seasons and struggling to think of friends it's happened to either. Even rentals shops see very few if these issues in a season. Modern skis are generally very well built (the big names that is, boutique/shed made trendy brands not so much).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IainMcT wrote:
Thank you Dr John,
Just had a look at the Stöckli skis. They are an 88mm waist and a free rider ski. I’ve been looking at more piste and all mountain skis as I really only ski on piste. I have found a larger waist of 84mm helped with sliding of slushy crud. Why a free rider ski though?

Have a look at the ARs … similar profile to the Stormriders but more piste oriented …
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="IainMcT"]
Jonny996 wrote:
@IainMcT, I would say yes but them, it is not going to be any cheaper than renting but you will get to know them & skiing is a confidence past time.

in my experience ( we are same shape Happy ) I would push width out to 80 min & your length out to 173.

Hello Jonny, can you tell me what your reasoning is for an 80mm sidecut? I hired skis with an 84mm waist and it certainly helped with the slushy snow later in the day at the bottom of the resort. But for a purely on piste carving ski wouldn’t a narrower waist be better?

No other reason than they were cheap in a sale & middle of the road width wise for skis aimed towards a beginner.
As I used them over the following years & got slightly better/faster/adventurous I was told by a friend I could do with better skis.
I simply went up the range of the skis I had as I had gotten to know their characteristics.
At that time, I was at my heaviest so I put physics into practice and thought that the wider I could go the more spread my weight would be & the less I would sink into the crud at the end of the day.
At 88 wide I can still get a good carve on them, even at my level of skill
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No help realy to the OP
We have had our own skis for ever
Year or two pre lockdown they went awol on flight out to Italy.
No big deal TO arranged hire skis FOC till ours turned up which turned out to be the Wednesday evening.
Used our own last couple of days and as a result they have gathered dust in the garage ever since.
Admittedly they were well used and I had thought about replacements.
I have found I like trying different skis.
At least up till now the ones the hire shops have offered I have been happy with.
I don't have the outlay of buying a new set plus cost of ski carriage and servicing.
Main benefit is I don't have to lug them through airports Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not read anyone else's post but basically you need the following.

something about 100mm for travelling light for every eventuality.
Then some slalom skis for icy days and morning in the spring.
Then something longer than the slalom skis for piste cruising think völkl deacon 70ish.
Then you need something about 85mm ish with a touch of rocker for skied out days and pistes are squeeky firm. Still good for skied out off piste good in the moguls that kind of thing.
Then the aforementioned 100mm-ish. Then come the interesting ones something about 115ish with a little camber and some rocker these are freeride based but be okish on the piste. then something in the 125 region full rocker for deep days.You could actually add a pair of GS skis in there also.
I think that'll habe you covered
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No matter what you get, there will always be a 80 year old French man with skis from last millennium that’s going make you look like Bambi on ice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Baron von chippy, Like your thinking; N+ 1.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I ski a pair of Stockli Stormrider 88s. They carve beautifully, and they float pretty well even in a foot or two of powder. Worth emailing literally every stockist in Europe on the Stockli website at this time of year if you're looking for a pair. I'm sure there are other less expensive similar skis that would work just as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy