Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Perceived versus actual level of ability

Poster: A snowHead
skiingfool wrote:
Could someone please clarify fall line for me? .

It's the line directly down the hill. If you were to roll a ball down the piste it would follow the fall line.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I rest my case my Lord
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiingfool, I get quite nervous when I'm the closing argument Wink What was your case?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, If you read from the top you will understand Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiingfool, I did, and I don't Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[ b].RE read this

I had a lesson on moguls last year in Courchevel. I was going up on the chairlift and the instructor asked what I wanted to concentrate on. I was terrified of bumps, but knew I needed to learn to ski them, so I said moguls. Mr DS was amazed I'd had the nerve to say it. My usual bumps technique was to traverse rather wobbly until I found a nice bump to try and turn on, and then turn, and go off across the slope again.

We started off with the correct technique on the flat (harder than on bumps, as it turned out), and then headed to a bumpy red. At the end of the lesson I was skiing down a bumpy red, straight down the fall line, none of the "ooh, I'll just ski over to that bump there, it looks a bit easier to turn on!", and I was astonished I'd done it.

The next day the weather changed, it was +16C and the mountain turned into mogulled slush. There were bodies, ski poles, goggles detached skis and inverted skiers everywhere we looked (as well as upside-down snowboarders). I just did what I was taught and came down a pretty bumpy black and then a red with absolutely huge moguls on it (harder than the black, IMO). Straight down the fall-line, right way up, no problem! I still need to improve, coz I do tend to stem turn a bit when I lose concentration. But given that I was one of the few who came down both slopes still attached to my skis (and my bindings are set on 3), I was quite pleased.
rob@rar[/b], hyweljenkins, try my 147's - they are very easy on them They are, of course, even easier on Snowblades
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiingfool, sorry mate, still don't know what case you're making.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, may be i should have read about bindings set on three before i started this because as normal. I thought we were talking about a adult.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiingfool wrote:
rob@rar, may be i should have read about bindings set on three before i started this because as normal. I thought we were talking about a adult.

I think I'm having a blonde moment. Although you're writing in English my ability to comprehend what you're saying has abandoned me, hopefully only temporarily. Sorry about this Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Do you know what fall line and stem mean Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, ps Any one that says they carve down a mogul feild is a lier also anyone that says they carve all the time beware no one does regards
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiingfool wrote:
rob@rar, Do you know what fall line and stem mean Smile

Yes thank you. As you asked what the fall line was a little earlier was I right to assume that you didn't understand what it meant?

Instead of beating around the bush with cryptic comments why don't you get off your chest what ever is bothering you? You might feel much better for it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it would be fair to say that anyone who can ski a red mogul field in the fall line is a damn fine skier of red mogul fields, assuming that they are linking turns at speed and are not stopping on the front of every bump Toofy Grin

I might even go so far as to say that anyone who can go from "timid traverser of bumps" to red mogul fall line skiing in one lesson is one heck of a quick learner, or had a very good instructor Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiingfool wrote:
rob@rar, ps Any one that says they carve down a mogul feild is a lier also anyone that says they carve all the time beware no one does regards
Liar here, I guess. rolling eyes I can carve down a mogul field. But, I don't often exclusively carve down a mogul field. I don't carve all the time, tho.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skiingfool wrote:

What an interesting comment. I must have a nose like pinnochio. rolling eyes

I suggest a re-visitation of the definition of carve.
latest report
veeeight, two minds thinking alike, eh wot? wink snowHead Twisted Evil
snow report
and my balls are bigger than yours.......get a life guys Cool
latest report
halfhand, I think you will find that rather than comparing size of balls, ssh and I were challenging the assertion that anyone who carves in moguls is a liar. A fairly bold claim, I'm sure you'll agree.

Now, if you'd just release that firm grip you've got from that end of the stick.............
snow conditions
halfhand, does that mean you ski with your legs wider apart? Laughing
snow report
I have seen peeps carve down a mogul field, but it does depend to a degree on how far apart the moguls are. We were taught to do this on long skis in my Grade 1 training. It's not my preferred mogul technique but then I'm old and timid! BTW a jolly exercise we were given on my last BASI revalidation was to ski a mogul field not turning our feet more than 20deg out of the fall line - now that's hard! I could have sworn I'd done it, but was told I hadn't when I got the the bottom of the pitch - I felt I was going like a rocket though. Shock
ski holidays
halfhand,
Quote:

and my balls are bigger than yours

Prove it.
snow conditions
ssh, veeeight, So you guy's carve down a mogal field do you. Or are we back to the title of this thread. yes you might for some of the time but let's not make out that you do it all the way down. If you can then you are better than any Austrian I Know.
snow report
skiingfool you may be, but those 2 are not.
snow report
Floppy the Snotman, How do you know what my skiing level is at? I just see this all the time, and you get fed up with it.I know I'm being fussy but there you go.
ski holidays
skiingfool, they are both instructors and skiing pros as am I - I can do it if I choose to - I just prefer not to go anywhere near moguls these days if I don't have to! Very Happy
snow conditions
skiingfool, I have no idea as to your skiing level, and have not commented on it. I do have knowledge of some of the above posters that you have doubted and if a highly respected and qualified instructor tells me they can carve down a mogul field, then I will believe them over someone who says they can't.

I have only just learnt how to carve and am in no position to criticise you or any others. I perceivd I was a decent skier, until I saw folks that could REAALY ski Smile

EDIT: Beaten to it again Embarassed
ski holidays
Floppy the Snotman, Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, I do not respect most ski instrutors because most of them are jumped up little kid's that have not got the time to learn the basics. Yes there are some great one's out there, but for every good one there are ten bad ones, when it comes to brit's. I still Question instructors that say they can Carve all the way down a mogul field. Question
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiingfool, have a little look here - smallish ones but they always look smaller from downhill and the guy's hardly breaking a sweat and I'd expect wouldn't have too much problem with significantly bigger ones

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 11-11-06 17:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skiingfool wrote:
easiski, I do not respect most ski instrutors because most of them are jumped up little kid's that have not got the time to learn the basics.

I think it's quite difficult to get to BASI 1 without learning the basics. How many Brit instructors have you been taught by?
snow report
slikedges, Thats the fall line is it?
snow conditions
skiingfool, no, but what's that got to do got to do with it Puzzled
ski holidays
slikedges, If you read the thread from the top?
latest report
skiingfool, I've read the thread enough to know you just tried that for size on rob! Please just briefly explain yourself and we can get on with discussing the point. Little Angel
snow report
slikedges wrote:
skiingfool, I've read the thread enough to know you just tried that for size on rob! Please just briefly explain yourself and we can get on with discussing the point. Little Angel

Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

I do not respect most ski instrutors because most of them are jumped up little kid's that have not got the time to learn the basics
Well thats easiski, sussed then wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Just can't resist any longer

slikedges, Nice bit of skiing, but carving? As soon as it starts looking even a bit like a mogul field he seems to spend a lot of time without his skis even on the snow - last I heard carving left two distibct clean continuous tracks.
ski holidays
rich wrote:
slikedges, Nice bit of skiing, but carving? As soon as it starts looking even a bit like a mogul field he seems to spend a lot of time without his skis even on the snow - last I heard carving left two distibct clean continuous tracks.

Presumably when he's changing direction his skis are on the snow?
snow report
Thats a great clip. Very Happy
snow report
slikedges, so you cant understand the bit about what?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy