Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost in translation?

Poster: A snowHead
Is carving the fall line a oxymoron?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiingfool wrote:

No, but it might be an oxymoron. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, very good. Why is it not an oxymoron?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The fall line is the line of maximum gradient down a slope; the carved line is a set of curves defined by the shape of the ski and how it is applied to the slope (?) - my guess is you'd need to get real lucky for the two to line up.

If you image a perfectly inclined plane then the fall line is a straight line going straight down the slope. Can you carve in a straight line?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is slikedges, a poxy moron? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoppo, surely at one point in the average carved turn you will be in the fall line - where the tangent of the carved arc/hyperbola coincides with the fall line.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, you'd only be carving the fall line momentarily...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or even infinitesimally......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, but if you carve something you are bisecting it. If you carve a joint of meat you do not carve it long ways, you cut across, therefore to "carve the fall line" means to cut (carve) across the line not follow it Toofy Grin

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoppo, Yoda, yes, that's why I used the word "point" - it will just be for an infinitesimally small period of time.

...unless the fall line happens to be curved, rather than straight, then you might be able to carve it for a longer period. Remember, the fall line is rarely straight on a natural hill.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sage, not necessarily "across" - it depends on the direction - you say that you don't carve it length wise, but that's just because of how you do it.
It's not the law that you MUST carve it across - for a good example, watch a chef fillet a fish - the knife goes ALONG the length of the fish, not across it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, you could construct a slope whose fall line matched the carve line of your skis

Sage, if you were always to ski perpendicular to the fall line then you would end up going round and around the mountain Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Floppy the Snotman, Oi! 'Tis better than being a Sloppy Snotman. NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to EpicSki! Laughing snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hoppo wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, you could construct a slope whose fall line matched the carve line of your skis

True, but highly unlikely.

Hoppo wrote:
Sage, if you were always to ski perpendicular to the fall line then you would end up going round and around the mountain Toofy Grin

I doubt if you'd be able to carve that without a bit of assistance in the movement - you no longer have gravity acting to help you if you are always going across, and never down... Wink
ski holidays
Strictly speaking, the only way of skiing the fall-line is to point your skis in that direction, whether that line is straight (on a flat even slope) or curved (on a slope of varying aspect and gradient). As Wear The Fox Hat sez you can carve it on a ski with a sidecut if the line is equivalently curved but otherwise you'd have to have no sidecut and be balancing on edge, or flat on your skis to go in a straight line.

However when people say "ski the fall-line" they don't mean you're in the fall-line all the time, but that you (or your upper body at any rate) do not deviate much from the fall-line. This is certainly possible to do by carving, within a narrow corridor, medium radius turns that are arcs of smallish segments of a circle. These would be different from short radius (very curvy or tight) turns which would be much more difficult to properly carve.
snow conditions
slikedges, Yes or No?
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:

However when people say "ski the fall-line" they don't mean you're in the fall-line all the time, but that you (or your upper body at any rate) do not deviate much from the fall-line. This is certainly possible to do by carving, within a narrow corridor, medium radius turns that are arcs of smallish segments of a circle. These would be different from short radius (very curvy or tight) turns which would be much more difficult to properly carve.

Well said. It's a simple term to mean not traversing between turns. ie: doing linked turns of relatively short radius. Shorter turns are much harder to do while still carving, but not impossible. skiing the fall line has never meant Kramering!
ski holidays
"Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
And I'll give you my answer in the morning"
latest report
Floppy the Snotman, Another large man! Very Happy Longer hair though
ski holidays
easiski, I understand that "we" are being told not to mention "traversing" now - it's continuously linked turns or nothing for beginners from now on (or at least until the next change of fashion/snowsports management rolling eyes ) . I'm getting too old for this Confused
ski holidays
Yoda, never.
snow report
Yoda, don't let the guys in the US hear that - I seem to remember there was a bit of a debate on here a while back regarding traversing!
ski holidays
Michelle, well 901 is early middle age I guess wink
ski holidays
Surely traversing is a useful skill in it's own right?
What's a skier to do when they realise they've snookered themselves down a wrong turn and need to get across to the other side of the piste to get out of trouble?
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, yes, I agree with easiski - and sometimes off-piste all you can do is traverse - kick-turn - traverse (unless you can Kramer couloirs of course wink )

But not to be taught it would seem....
ski holidays
Yoda, FenlandSkier: If it makes my life easier - and it's safe - I'd like to know how to do these 'outdated' things! Unless those that that snub them have a better way, of course snowHead
snow conditions
If traverse is a dirty word these days I think I'll say it as much as I can this season.

I hate Fashion

Incidentally has anyone noticed BBC2 are replaying This Life? Surely not a fashionable thing to do for the BBC to repeat something originially broadcast in the 90's! I was amazed!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiben, it's been responsible for me not getting to bed before 1am for over a week...... rolling eyes
snow report
FenlandSkier, traversing is definitely a useful skill, but it shouldn't be used for "shopping" for a turn as is so often the case. It bleeds all energy out of the previous turns into the ether and you have to start from zero, again. Much more efficient to take one turn into the next.. But, not a "right" v "wrong" kind of thing... snowHead
snow conditions
skiingfool wrote:
Depends on the definitions. I think it's possible (although a very high-level skill) to carve in such a manner that one's "core" follows the fall line. I think for all practical purposes, this statement means to stay very close to the fall line with the body and use the skis edges for turning. Furthermore, I think the phrase is very imprecise.

FWIW (from across the pond)... Cool
ski holidays
Yoda, I'm so glad I'm no longer a member of BASI (I presume it's them!). Let's not start this debate again. Very important skill, it's the best and easiest way to teach balance and edging skills, and the poor beginner or novice has to have some way to get around bits that are too steep for them to link turns! rolling eyes I wonder what the Austrians say? they've always based their whole system on the traverse position!
snow report
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
skiben, Its being repeated because they are doing a this life special or new series bringing things up to date New series 10 years on
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy