Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ALPS SET FOR FIRST REAL SNOW?

Poster: A snowHead
cathy, We're there for four days from next Friday. Snowforecast is predicting over 30cm snowfall next week - hope theyre right! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, oooh - so do I!! Hope you have a good time - you must be sure to report back what it's like Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, Sure will, will also try to post some pix. Very Happy I figure the glacier will be skiable even if not much else is! Hope you have fun too!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, thank you! Piccies would be great snowHead I'm not too concerned about the snow cos, as you say, the glacier is sure to be skiable. More worried about how many others from other resorts will be there, skiing the only pistes around - and it would be nice to have snow at resort level. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the French Alps it got a bit cooler over Friday night and rained quite hard, at least in the Isere if not further north. Looking at the mountain this morning there are traces of snow down to 1900 meters with around 20cm at 2500 meters, around 25cm up on the glacier at les Deux Alpes.

So that is better news. Just remains to be seen how warm and windy it turns this week. Forecast is for fine, calm weather until Tuesday then more snow at lower altitudes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From my reading, GFS seems to be looking up towards the end of the month. The majority of the runs are below seasonal average and precipitation forecast...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i was really looking forward to looking at la plagne webcams this morning to see all the fresh snow it was predicted last night,im very dissapointed Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm getting the Snow-Horn looking at Serre Chevalier, but am going to Three Valleys. Sad

What seems strange is that some French resorts-like Serre Chevalier-have had a fair bit of snow, but the 'biggies'-like Val d'Isere/Tignes, Three Valleys (there on 16th Dec) have had nothing.
Can anyone explain?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowhound... it's called geography... any idea how much farther south Serre Che is than the "biggies" as you describe them? Why does their status as "biggies" (big costs? big crowds? big disppointment?) entitle them to snow any more than any other location? Different weather systems bring snow to different locations. There have been many years when Serre Che and the area has suffered from snow drought when other areas have done just fine...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for your patronising answer-for the record I have a BSc in Physics/Meteorology.

I was not suggesting that the big resorts-for that actually read 'high' should get more snow, just that you might expect it given they are also higher altitude than anywhere else.

Serre Che is not that further south (and other resorts close to it seem to have had little snow too) so so they will generally get the same weather systems as the rest of the Western Alps. I was just wondering whether there was any localised effect that might be responsible for their snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowhound, Bearing in mind that I know nowt about meteorlogy. Serre Che is considered to be in the southern French Alps I believe and often gets very different snow falls from those resorts even a little to the north and west such as LDA. The Ecrins Massif blocks a lot of the north westerlies and Serre Che tends to benefit from south and south westerlies. It actually often gets pretty good early season snow but sometimes has dry spells when the big storms are dumping it a little further to the north. The two sides of the Col du Lautaret often have markedly different snow cover.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 19-11-06 11:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowhound, I've just seen the snow in Serre Chevalier. I've got the horn too!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi T-Bar

That was my only thought as well. As most of the airflow recently has been from the SW, it will be the Southern Alps which gets the precipitation. If the usual weather systems come down from the NW, is is the N and W Alps which get most of it.
But Serre Che isn't particularly high, and SW air is pretty warm. so how come it's cold enough to snow rather than rain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowhound, I think there is probably only snow above 2000m, if you look at the panoramic webcam, there isn't any cover in the valley yet. T-bar is correct about the weather patterns. I've jst had another metcheck Snow Dump alert for later in the week, with freezing level around 1800m.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have just seen the pressure charts for the week ahead on Countryfile. Wet and stormy in the UK-with significant snow in Scotland.
The Lows look like they're queing up over the Atlantic and pushing through the UK into the continent; winds from the W/NW. So as long as the temperature keeps down, snow could well be on the cards!
ski holidays
i was looking at snow forecast and they said la plagne was going to get about 15 cms friday night and they hardly got anything,what site do you all use,need something a little more reliable if there is such a thing.
latest report
notverygoodatskiing, aah, Snowguess, that explains it. I use Metcheck.
snow report
snowhound, here in serre che we have o ur own weather system it differs from even 2 alpes and alpe d'huez as we get our snow from the south. This dump that just came was from the south/southeast, so we got possilby the most out of everywhere!

and at the top of the granon there is over a foot of snow, which will do nicely to start with.

it makes me laugh with every one getting all panikcy aobut snow, this is normal it will happen and it will hit the valley possibly next weekend.

And i'm quite happy with it like it is, too much to do that i cant do when the snow comes.

i have 1 week!
pics from the grannon today

let just say she is not a small dog
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, there is snow half way down the luc alphond and all the way down the aguillette. I konw this as i can see it from my balcony.
btw have you seen any pics of your place recently? it looks like a building site still, hope they finish it before winter starts as it dont look very good Puzzled
snow conditions
dosnt look good does it,might be skiing in between builders and cement trucks by the looks of it Laughing
ski holidays
snowangel., ......that's a brilliant 'powder-hound' photo.....!!!

.......a possible for next years snowHeads calendar........? Laughing snowHead

...what's her name...?
ski holidays
snowangel., we were out there last week, so we know exactly what is happening, and what will happen before Dec 16th. Our chalets were completed last winter don't forget, and we don;t even overlook any of the work going on now. We look directly onto the pistes.
snow report
oops,thought you where on about lp Embarassed
latest report
notverygoodatskiing, you can see where my chalet is, and some pics of it on my website.
ski holidays
snowangel., Superb photo of the dog, looks like she was enjoying the powder
ski holidays
Does anyone know if it snowed in Isola 2000 over the weekend. Forecasts suggested it would but i can't seem to access the webcams Puzzled
snow report
snowangel, nice pics..... thanks....
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, i am releived for you as i was a little shocked when i walked past the other week!
BernardC, Her name is Mo and she loves the snow! even more than the kids do! nothing like a good snowball throwing session for her!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowhound, for someone with a "BSc in Physics/Meteorology" it was a particularly stupid question that you asked then! I, for the record, do not have any degrees of any kind in anything to do with meteorology and yet I am perfectly capable of understanding the vagaries of localised weather systems based on the location of resorts with respect to local mountain ranges... Indeed, I believe that a quick "google" on such elementary key words such as "snow fall southern alps weather system" produces all kinds of useful information.

You'd obviously been reading other threads, including Helen's post on snow in Serre Che as you referred to it in your post, why you therefore couldn't read that the altitude of snowfall was "...at (I think) around 2300m" is beyond me. To then say, "just that you might expect it given they are also higher altitude than anywhere else." when referring to the "big" resorts (meaning "high", according to you) is just staggeringly ill-informed and not, may I say, what one would expect of someone so obviously well educated as you. For your logic to work would pre-suppose that all areas of the Alps receive equal amounts of precipitation and only the altitude determines what falls as snow and what falls as rain... welcome to planet earth. Laughing

For the record, France in general is in for a bumper snow season (particularly Serre Che and the extreme southern resorts of Isola, Auron and La Foux D'Allos) as I have dragged my group kicking and screaming into Germany for this season's ski adventure and my abilities as a) a snow anti-magnet and b) to choose not to go to a resort when they subsequently receive a bumper snowfall are well documented...

snowangel., fantastic picture of Mo!
snow conditions
carled, that's two days on the trot that you appear to have got out of bed on the grumpy side wink wink
latest report
Timberwolf, nah... just don't like people who "flaunt" their qualifications whilst not bothering to do the tiniest amount of research. I'm just generally intolerant... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
carled, we'll get on just fine then, as one cannot flaunt what one does not have Laughing

I'm not intolerant, but I can't abide people who are Blush
ski holidays
I'm not going to get into a private argument on a public forum with someone who's clearly got a fair few chips on his/her shoulder-waste of my time. You seem to have a well developed knack of taking an innocuous initial post and getting the wrong end of the stick completely. Anything I subsequently mentioned was in response to your rude, insultingly inconsiderate post.

You've obviously completely missed the point of my previous posts-for example, 'high' means 'more likely to have snow-all things being equal (which they are not of course).

Can I advise this bit of light reading.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671723650?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
carled, snowhound, Well it looks like the 'biggies' are getting their share now Very Happy . Why not do like the weather, guys, and chill a little? Smile

When are you going to get your skis on snow? got long to wait? I'm off to Tignes in 3 sleeps from now, dunno about the 'Snow Horn' but my ski tips are starting to quivver snowHead
ski holidays
snowhound, If you think that my first reply was rude and inconsiderate... well... let's just not go there. Suffice to say that when I'm actually intending being rude & inconsiderate you'll know about it.

I'm chilled people, honest. Good grief, if one can't vent a bit at a daft message board question without people taking umbrage left, right & centre... Bloody Daily Mail readers... NehNeh

AxsMan, For the first (and probably last) time, I'm venturing forth during Feb half term. Should be a bit different to the Easter trips that are the norm.
latest report
carled, if you're going in Half Term, you had better take a BIG box of those Chill Pills with you, or hope you don't meet any peeps with qualifications that haven't done any research in the lift queues NehNeh

(edit for typo )
snow report
carled, I wouldn't worry too much. we take the (four) kids away at Feb half term and although its expensive and busy we still have a great time. Normally good snow wherever you go, (sometimes a bit chilly though) which is more than you can say at Easter. Morzine/Avoriaz was very slushy the last easter we spent there. - First time I'd skied in the rain. Second time was the next Easter at Alpe D'huez Sad
ski holidays
Jeez. Busy at half term? Oh. my. god. Why did no-one tell me? Blimey, Timberwolf, it's a good idea you let me know otherwise I'd have been expecting empty slopes! What a fool I've been. rolling eyes

Hey, you don't suppose that by some miracle there are some places to go skiing/boarding that are less prone to queues than the "big" (high?) French resorts at that time of the year, do you..?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
carled, if you were a channel island, you'd definitely be Sark wink

btw everybody, I have a BEng in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, but no, I cannae fix your telly NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
brian, There is a small outcrop off Alderney called Tosser wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy