Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Voluntary ban on weather speculation?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it time for a voluntary moratorium on all the "woe is me - there is no snow yet" threads? I'm sure it isn't cheering anyone up (except anyone going to Western Canada or the Pacific Northwest wink ). Carry on griping if you like but it won't bring it any faster.

Remember in the days before the internet all people had to go on were a tiny snow depth table in the weekend papers and then wait to excitedly ask the transfer rep (remember this was also pre DIY trips generally) "so is there any snow?" Was everyone any less happy?

I think I've now officially become my father harking back to the good old days wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-12-06 19:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I found this particularly difficult to read, due to the tears in my eyes. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob,

It's gonna snow tomorrow Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
as they say, sno news is good news !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, we're British (with honourable exceptions)! wink snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's healthy for folks to get in touch with their inner feelings and important that they feel comfortable expressing those thoughts and fears to the rest of the group wink . fatbob, I hate to say this publically but you're in denial and, out of all of us, you're the one displaying the most outward symptoms of snow-loss-induced-mental-excrement, or SLIME, as we professionals prefer to call it. Get some help fella. In fact, we're all here to help you. Please check in with us every hour just so we can make sure you haven't done anything silly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Problem we have tho FatBoB is that half the people speculating think they are 'forecasting'.
Maybe we should have a 'cowdoo' rating for posts?

Post cowdoo Rating- 100% NehNeh
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once that snow falls everyone will be saying what a fab winter it is, never seen so much etc. I am eternally optimistic that it will come.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

Once that snow falls everyone will be saying what a fab winter it is, never seen so much etc

when is it going to stop ,to much snow Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
fatbob, voluntary ban on weather speculation Shocked

Bah and indeed humbug Evil or Very Mad

You'll be asking me to give up pointless webcam watching and chocolate hobnobs next Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian wrote:
fatbob, voluntary ban on weather speculation Shocked

Bah and indeed humbug Evil or Very Mad

You'll be asking me to give up pointless webcam watching and chocolate hobnobs next Sad

OK you all win - I can't save you from yourselves. Sad Just don't come running to me when it actually does start puking big time. Then the questions will be "do I need snowtyres?", "how do I get chains with my car?", "We got stuck in a drift getting to the resort - can't they do something about the snow?" wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian wrote:

Brian, i'm so glad i'm not the only pointless webcam watcher!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kersh wrote:
brian wrote:

Brian, i'm so glad i'm not the only pointless webcam watcher!!! Toofy Grin

Kersh I think you will find that there are lots of them at the moment wink

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

voluntary ban on weather speculation

Oh God, yes. I've never seen so many multi-coloured spiky graphs. Or so many different interpretations. Web-cams are fine though. WYSIWYG!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is an alternative...

http://youtube.com/v/wIo7NFNmVp0
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller - Laughing
snow report
Supposed to snow up here today...
ski holidays
Bode Swiller - I hadn't realised that anyone was videoing me!! snowHead
snow report
All change

Raining hard in Bern

Snow tonight

The Swiss papers reporting Cold front & the Fohn is going away from upper elevations. Snow down to 1200M possibly 1000M Very Happy
snow conditions
Any minute now someone will suggest a sweepstake on what date each resort will open...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Can we stop the met office doing their endless speculation? This one was published in the last 24 hours Puzzled

Forecast for Winter 2006/7
Temperature
As in last month's forecast, probabilities weakly favour temperatures warmer than 1971-2000 averages over much of western and central Europe. However, there has been a return to a finely balanced situation over northern Europe where the influence of El Niño may encourage cold outbreaks during mid to late winter; at times such outbreaks can be expected to affect parts of the UK.

For the UK, December is expected to continue mild in most regions. Near average or warmer-than-average temperatures are the more likely outcomes for the winter period as a whole with the potential for lower temperatures (relative to average) in mid to late winter.

Precipitation
Signals for precipitation from our forecasting methods are mixed over Europe, and in most regions there is no clear indication for either above or below normal.

For the UK, above-average rainfall is likely to continue through much of December, and best estimates slightly favour average or above-average precipitation for the winter as a whole. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
Problem we have tho FatBoB is that half the people speculating think they are 'forecasting'.

What's the difference?
wink
ski holidays
skanky wrote:
Quote:

What's the difference?
wink

One is an educated guess and the other one isn't.

PM me if you want to know which one is which wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chappers wrote:
skanky wrote:
Quote:

What's the difference?
wink

One is an educated guess and the other one isn't.

PM me if you want to know which one is which wink

I'll make an educated guess. wink
snow report
I love that met office report, basically covers all angles so they are right whatever happens!! eg these 2 classic phrases:

"there is no clear indication for either above or below normal. "

"best estimates slightly favour average or above-average precipitation for the winter as a whole"

Smile
ski holidays
They also give the figures that those words are attempting to describe. Maybe they should just stick with the figures.
snow report
kitenski, I think the language of the Met Office forecast is actually quite helpful, in that it it indicates clearly the degree of uncertainty and enables you to make a judgement - for example that it is improbable that it will be a very dry winter. Sometimes the data are such that the models simply cannot come up with a firm sounding forecast - and you can't blame the Met Office for that. What I do find annoying is when the data are not pointing in any clear direction but we nonetheless get a certain-sounding forecast. That was happening with the marine forecasts during mid November when I was sailing, and is extremely annoying. If the Met Office tell you there will be winds blowing Severe Gale Force 9 in the following 24 hours your response, in terms of planning, is not the same as if they told you there was a slight possibility of Gale Force 9. I don't have any problem with forecasts which are carefully worded to give me no baseless confidence!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
Remember in the days before the internet all people had to go on were a tiny snow depth table in the weekend papers and then wait to excitedly ask the transfer rep (remember this was also pre DIY trips generally) "so is there any snow?" Was everyone any less happy?

And the classic response is always "It was snowing hard when I left" and the resulting disappointment when you finally get up there and find virtually nothing is devastating! At least with webcams you can see before you arrive so it's less of a shock...off to view the Les Arc cams next....not that I'm a compulsive cam viewer... wink
ski holidays
Does anyone know what the forecast is for MK Xscape on Sunday morning Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
RachelQ, I dont know what the forcast for MK is but the snow report will go something like,

Best snow on the upper slopes Laughing
latest report
RachelQ wrote:
Does anyone know what the forecast is for MK Xscape on Sunday morning Madeye-Smiley

Overcast.
latest report
skanky wrote:
RachelQ wrote:

Overcast.

but remaining dry Very Happy
latest report
i'd say about -5 and snow....at least inside the fridge snowHead
latest report
what p's me off is people posting that its snowing when it isn't!!! it might be up top but that is much of a muchness because if it dont fall in the valley they'll end up not opening at all!

keep it real, when its really snowing those of us that live in the area will be the first to let you know!

still raining in serre che, but snowing on the lauteret and down to 1800 temp currently +5
snow conditions
snowangel., sorry, but I don't have vision that stretches to Serre Chevalier, and can only judge the snowfall from the webcam on the TO site. It sure looks likes it has been snowing up there.
snow conditions
snowangel., I think we are talking about forecasting on this thread although other threads are snow ramping.

It is snowing in the Alps and elsewhere, and Snowheads are talking about it and the webcams are showing it, I don't see a problem with that.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

You'll be asking me to give up pointless webcam watching and chocolate hobnobs next

I'm much worse. I've actually e-mailed Chamonet pleading with them to tell me it is going to snow before 15th December (having seen nothing but rocks on Brevant webcam.)

They were very sweet and told me that the lift company were under a lot of pressure to open but wisely didn't tell me it was going to snow!
ski holidays
angelaclark, welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead s. Sounds like they've had counselling training with the Samaritans. Might stand them in good stead in the next week or so.
snow conditions
If it helps, I won't buy my snow tyres until it's too late...

-
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy