Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Question

Poster: A snowHead
dg3, thanks for the info, interesting to hear the oldest to pass was 46. im 44 and fitness is okay but nowhere near my late 20's or early 30's. I guess for me it is one step at a time and hopefully by the end of this year i will have a BASI 3 and can start to work on race training and running gates...then who knows

Have you done the test technique? if so how did you find passing that?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dg3, for all driving instructors to be able to get round a racetrack within 15% of the time of a F1 team or test driver would probably teach them a lot about all aspects of driving and motor vehicles most wouldn't know - this is arguably a positive thing for their experience and knowledge. However it obviously isn't necessary, may arguably have negative influences on their expectations of clients/outlook on instructing/outlook on driving, and is probably in balance an undesirable waste of everyone's time and resources. It may however be argued that timing them over a set course would be a valid and desirable objective test of their driving skill and I couldn't disagree. Just so long as it was set at a level that any normally fit person could achieve - by which I mean any current professional who has previously achieved that level could achieve it again with a little refreshing and training.

I know it's not a perfect analogy due to the different performance emphases but I think it's close enough. Anyway, you have to play by the current rules of the game so best of luck with the Eurotest. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, i think the driving instructor analogy gets trotted out and is flawed. when you learn to drive you dont follow another car around absorbing visual clues about balance posture and reaction to changing conditions.

I think skiing is more like golf or tennis instruction and that effective demonstration is hugely important, the better you can ski the better you able to demonstrate correct technique.

A BASI trainer i learned from had the best plough turns i have seen because he worked at it and had good basic technique.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, of course skiing instruction is more like instruction of an individual performance sport - that's what it is! However to use an analogy that isn't an individual performance sport may help some people think about it more easily. Like I said it's not a perfect analogy - there's no such thing - but I think it's sufficiently fit for purpose. Anyway with golf and tennis, most people are instructed by professionals whose standard may be fairly easily equalled by many non-professionals.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, not sure that's true for golf. yes, you can be an assistant pro for a while without being all that good (still miles better than me...), but there are quite tough requirements for becoming a PGA pro and I know of a few reasonably talented players who haven't made it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, hi - didn't do test technique - finished ISIA last yr (took from April 2004) so was exempt from doing it for my 2. Not planning on doing it as going straight for Euro Test and no need currently to work in France. From what I've heard it's not a biggy to worry about - as the performance level required in the slalom gates is of a much lower standard (easier pass time) than the Euro Test. Still need to hit the gates and get some practice from a race coach though for best results.

slikedges, I've heard the car driving instructor one before, in fact when you get into the training there is so much banter going on - because it is a rather difficult thing to pass, so people are talking about easier places to pass, start order placing, wax etc etc....all of which is fine but ultimately you need lot's of time practicing - a scary stat is that they say it takes about 22 wks race training to get to the grade Shocked

I must admit the car instructor thing got me a bit confused -I see where you're coming from - but ultimately the steering wheel and controls get fairly constant results eg. steering wheel has a certain turn ratio - whereas the skiers body has a mind of it's own Very Happy .

They say being able to pass the Euro test is about being able to carve cleanly through the gates from top to bottom - you can do that then you pass.

With the advent of shaped skis - customers want to do that magic thing on piste - show them how to carve. You could argue The Euro Test is producing the highest grade BASI carving instructors to match any around the world - that can't be a bad thing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, Arno, I agree with you both that you dont have to be a world class superstar to teach beginners but like a club pro in golf (who needs to be 4 handicap or better which isnt that easy a standard to get and takes some dedication)

Sorry but ive read too many people using the driving instructor F1 analogy and im not sure it compares well with ski instructing, that was all i meant wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dg3, how much time on slope would you recon you had since 04? did you do seasons? wow 22 weeks race training sounds like a huge committment, good luck with it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I'm actually a desk jockey and since o4 have probably done about 4 weeks per season training and combined that with dry slope skiing and also crazy contraptions called HARB carvers that allow me to practice on roads (although had a bad off in summer on those so may not factor so heavily nxt season Confused - this season I've done a wk training in nov on glcier - a wk coming up in feb, 4 days in march, then race at end of season - not nearly enough but all I can afford - financially and time. - I reckon I'll be lucky if I pass by 2009 Shocked but I'm not in a rush...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dg3, Sounds to me as though you're doing exceptionally well - I'm not joining in this debate again - too boring, been done too many times. Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I think it's a pretty good analogy because the point is that such a standard as is required by the Eurotest is imho unnecessary except as a form of protectionism. In learning advanced driving 1) you mimic the instructor's movements, body position, timing etc, just not moments later 2) you also get direct on the second input as to what you should be doing right at that instant 3) to touch on dg3's point, the controls respond directly to the psychological/emotional/physical vagaries of magnitude and timing of the driver's body subject to the car's chassis characteristics and suspension set-up. I'm also not convinced even pretty advanced skiers will learn much from the difference between an ISTD and an ISIAs stance/reaction especially on a split second glance while concentrating on their own skiing.

Like I said before: nothing wrong with an objective test of skill - probably the only truly objective way of testing - just I think it should be
Quote:
...set at a level that any normally fit person could achieve - by which I mean any current professional who has previously achieved that level could achieve it again with a little refreshing and training.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dg3, i will stay away from HARB carvers Evil or Very Mad Confused great to hear of the progress you have made as a part timer. It gives me hope Little Angel Blush

easiski, i kinda agree but cant help myself.....as i have only just entered this forum and debate wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Go for it - and if you ever need someone to bounce a Eurotest query off - PM me, I'll try and help or give you a contact who will....get those edges sharpened Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dg3, Thanks for the offer, I have never run a gate in my life so this thread has really got me thinking, if i do manage to pass this spring some serious gate training is in my future. The Test Technique might just be next years personal challenge... Smile

I have bought all the edge tuning gear from spyderjon and am looking forward to learning how to do me edges correctly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
dg3, i will stay away from HARB carvers Evil or Very Mad Confused great to hear of the progress you have made as a part timer. It gives me hope Little Angel Blush

easiski, i kinda agree but cant help myself.....as i have only just entered this forum and debate wink

I've already "done" it at least twice. Some peeps will not listen to the truth. Shocked
latest report
rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy