Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Z12 binding adjustment question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering how important it is that the boot sole centre mark is aligned with the binding (smarttrak) centre mark.

On my Z12's , when installed per the current Salomon workshop practices manual, the boot centre is about 6mm forward of the track centre mark. The forward pressure indicator is dead centre on one boot and about 2mm further back on the other, but in the zone. The heel of the boot just touches the heelpiece when entering the bindings & closing the bindings (with boot on foot!) takes significantly more effort than with my old 1080 bindings - I have to transfer additional weight onto that leg.

If I move both toe and heel pieces back one notch, the boot and binding centre marks are exactly in line. The forward pressure indicator is dead centre on one boot and about 2mm forward on the other, but still within the zone. There is now about 2mm clearance on the heel piece on entry and the force required to close the binding is more what I would expect.

Which setting should I go with (I assume that a store would say stick to the Salomon settings)

Cheers,

Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davehk, There might be something in these threads that helps:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81205

There seems to be a durability questions emerging from users concerning the smarttrack system.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, How diplomatic. Ehh Hem, these bindings suck, Salomon are re introducing the S912 and S914 with new names and colours so as to hide the Fisher Price binding generation 'Z-Blunder' Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nonsense. Just because some hardcore skiers hucking cliffs manage to break them doesn't mean the Z12 bindings are not fine for the majority of skiers, despite the cheapish looks. I have less exerience with the actual SmartTrak system though.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I know you don't like the Z12s, but there's no need to let your dislike stand in the way of proper information.

Reintroducing? The S914 was never away - it was available this year. Plus are you saying they are bringing back the S912 toe piece next year? Haven't heard that one at all. The new STH12 bindings are different from the S912 in quite a few ways.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skibomb, It was never away agreed, but next year there is quite a push on it. The S912 will too make a come back, just like the S914. Next year there are ski packages available with S914, there wasn't this winter. Salomon would prefer to keep to just the S914, but market forces may force a reproduction of S912. And soryy buddy you don't need to be hucking Cliffs to break the "Z-Blunder" binding, i did one with me fingers. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are your fingers fischer price, titanium, or bionic? snowHead

What have you heard about the STH12 then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skibomb, My name, is, Steve, they had the power to rebuild me, they had the power to build the worlds first Bionic Bootfitter, better, stronger, faster than before.

STH12: i quote, "STH12 une construction robuste pour les ENFANTS et Freeriders." Laughing

STH16: i quote, "STH16 une construction ultra-Résistante pour les RIDERS." Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All very interesting, but does not answer my question!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davehk, Sorry buddy, i have no idea, we looked at the binding first from a construction point of view and decided our clients risked breaking it. spyderjon, is you're man if you need to know stuff like that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davehk, Sorry for the digressions.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, But the STHs are keeping the Z12-based toe piece right? I mean, the plastic one that you refuse to sell because you know what's best for your customers? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davehk wrote:
I was wondering how important it is that the boot sole centre mark is aligned with the binding (smarttrak) centre mark.

On my Z12's , when installed per the current Salomon workshop practices manual, the boot centre is about 6mm forward of the track centre mark. The forward pressure indicator is dead centre on one boot and about 2mm further back on the other, but in the zone. The heel of the boot just touches the heelpiece when entering the bindings & closing the bindings (with boot on foot!) takes significantly more effort than with my old 1080 bindings - I have to transfer additional weight onto that leg.

If I move both toe and heel pieces back one notch, the boot and binding centre marks are exactly in line. The forward pressure indicator is dead centre on one boot and about 2mm forward on the other, but still within the zone. There is now about 2mm clearance on the heel piece on entry and the force required to close the binding is more what I would expect.

Which setting should I go with (I assume that a store would say stick to the Salomon settings)

Cheers,

Dave

davehk, To try and answer your original question. The decision as to the whether you're aligned with the boot sole mark or not is down to your preference (ie, on/off-piste ratio) but you'd be hard pushed to feel a 6mm difference.

With regard to the differing forward pressure indications. I've only mounted one pair of Z12 bindings but that's the experience I had so welcome to the vageries of the Z series. As your shop manual tells you, as long as the forward indicator is in the zone then they've been installed within factory specs.

I'm personally not happy with the differing toe to heel piece lengths - other binding make/models seem to be able to produce a 'matching' pair so I'd expect the Z's to be able to do the same. However I did test the release torques on my Huber machine on the pair I fitted & both scored the same so in theory it's nothing to worry about.

Being a stickler for detail they're not for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, have you noticed any entry differences with lubrication of the track and the brake mechanism?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, can't say I did on the pair I fitted which was back in Jan. They belong to a neighbour so I'll see if I can have a gleg over the weekend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skibomb, Yes, STH12 are keeping the Fisher Price toe unit, yes i know what's best for my customers, so do my staff. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon,

Thanks - that's what I thought. The variation in my case is between the two boots, not the bindings. I find the second position makes clicking in a little easier so I'll go for that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy