Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Choice and Availability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I purchased a set of Faction skis yesterday, and need to get hold of some bindings for them. I wasn't able to get anything out in Verbier as all the shops were either closing or out of stock. I have bought bindings and skis from www.untracked.com before and been really impressed with their service but I wonder if it might be easier to get hold of something closer to home.
Questions - any suggestions on bindings? Was looking at either Salomon 916 or Marker 140 (my usual DIN is 12, I'm 6'2 and 17st). Any other suggestions?
Any thoughts on where to purchase in the UK? - I've tried S+R and EB but they don't seem to have much stock, particularly of the higher performance stuff
I also need someone to mount them, and I'm unsure as to whether our local shop will be happy to do this if it's not a binding he is familiar with (or whether I would be happy for him to do it either).
The skis are Faction Wednesdays, 178cm, 92mm waist. I'm looking at using them as a park ski (should no better at my age) and also for general all mountain use. I have a set of Volkl Gotamas so won't be using them for the powder so much.

Thoughts/help appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmmm, I have a brand new pair of VIST 614s and a jig.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have you looked at www.ski-bilek.de ? they sometimes have S916s available. they also have Vist and some high din rossi bindings
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BGA, If you're going for a VIST set up and are useing your new Factions for freestyle, don't buy the ones available from Ski-bilek as the plates will add too much weight for freestyle.
I've got a pair of 614s (din up to 14) here with black covers and wide breaks and am happy to do a good end of season price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
forgot that we have our very own vist distributor here snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BGA, Salomon 916s need to be ordered direct from Salomon UK. You would want the S916 Equipe Comp version, not the ZZ LAB model that Ski-Bilek sell to go with the SL or GS LAB skis.

Snow & Rock were quite happy to mount mine for me, there is only one extra hole needed over the S914. A S900/S997/S977 jig is correct for them too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, thanks for that I will PM you later if that's OK.

rjs, www.untracked.com have 914, 916 and 920 '07 equipe models all available for $349. The guys at Faction did say that most people go with the Salomons for their skis. Anyone care to compare the two brands?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA, I have never used Markers. The S916 closes with a nice solid clunk when you step into them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know this is going to bring howls of protests from certain quarters, but my colleague has had nothing but pre-release problems with his Vist Speedlock 614's (on Stockli Rotors) this season.

In the end he has had to do the extremely damgerous thing and wind them up to the max...... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has he taken them back? Thats not a good situation. I've not had any back at all which suggests its a one off fault. If he's in the UK, Rather than him risking winding them right up and as it's the first one I've heard of with this fault , I'll replace them for him.

I'm assuming its the bindings and nothing to do with the speedlock plates we're talking here.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-05-07 16:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just for my own understanding - I've always taken pre-release to mean that the boot comes out of the binding when you don't want it to - high speed carve, jump turn on the steeps, zip-line moguls etc. I've always assumed that this was due to a) a faulty or poorly set-up binding where the DIN setting shown is not accurate and the force required for the binding to open is lower than it should be at that setting or b) the DIN setting is too low for the weight of the skier or the aggressive nature of their skiing. a) can be solved by testing the binding and having it fitted by someone who knows what they are doing and b) comes from knowing your own skiing, body and equipment. Is this generally correct or am I being too simplistic? I sure DIN is an international standard, or is it in fact more akin to the situation with flex ratings in ski boots where there is no standardisation across manufacturers?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Has he taken them back? Thats not a good situation. I've not had any back at all which suggests its a one of fault. If he's in the UK, Rather than him risking winding them right up, I'll replace them for him for him.

Good customer service, glad I decided to go with the VISTs!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He's in Whistler, and is sponsored by Stockli, plus he also works as a tech in a ski shop, so I assume he's done everything necessary to rectify the issue. They released repeatedly on him in large sticky bumps, whilst he was examiner on a course.... much laughter and embarrasment all round.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What Factions did you get? I have Pink ones...

Do you still want the Naxos?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy