Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Racing - 2007

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, Nooooooooooo....... disaster!! Crying or Very sad hope you don't need surgery at least.... let us know how you get on on Thursday! Be sorry not to see you at the Brits at the weekend....

Well, quick (hopefully!) report from me on this weekend's skiing adventures! Yesterday was the 5th and final installment of the rossendale summer race league - not much to play for as I was already fairly set in 2nd position in my age group so decided to race despite having had a really sore back all weekend as only needed to finish to get enough points to secure 2nd. No hope of catching 1st unless she failed to finish both individual timed runs Sad course was fairly straightforward, one tricky exit from a verticale about half way down but apart from that fairly regular, not too tight turns - just the sort of nice fast course I am bad at Sad anyhew, first run got pretty good start (for me!) managed to get forward well and attack the course until the bogey gate when I had a bit of a skid and lost some speed and stood up a bit - then managed to attack the last few gates again - time 18.58 - not bad for me in race league but a few people I wanted to beat got better times Evil or Very Mad

so all out attack planned for run 2 - target sub-18seconds.... sadly all hope lost after a pathetic start and very slow first couple of gates - a shame as this time I got absolutely the right line through the tricky part and really accelerated through the bottom for.... 18.49..... aaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh...... ah well.... when the list came out I had still made it to group 9 for the HtHs- not as good as last month's group 7 and quite a few people in front of me who I had beaten last month but I did beat some others that I was pleased with! anyway, at least for the afternoon being in group 9 gave me a better chance of winning some HtH's to get good points for the team (also sadly out of the running for top spot after a disaster last month Crying or Very sad ).... and indeed managed to win 2 out of 3 Very Happy despite getting a terrible start in the first race and having to make up a gate on the other guy but I just got there! Very pleased with final run against a girl who has lower points than me in the BARTS list and usually is in a better group - managed to get a decent start and then really nailed the course, accelerated all the way down and won by around 2 gates - hurrah! So a good note to end the race league season on Very Happy - tho my opponent apparently disagreed, and skied straight off back up the lift without pausing to shake hands - which always disappoints me - I know it's not nice to lose but it's all meant to be fun as well and it's nice for everyone to be sporting - I know I am always happy to shake hands when beaten - even if I am a tad miffed about it!! rolling eyes sorry, will stop the rant now - before I get on to how children should also be taught about queuing for practice and not walking straight from the top of the lift to the front of the queue and shoving in...... rolling eyes

anyway, a good day overall - I was slightly disappointed with the morning times but considering last season my times were in the 20's and I was usually in groups 15-20 I think it show improvement. And I did get a silver medal for the series so no complaints there Very Happy going for gold next year! Sadly no good prizes on offer like in GrahamN's region - just medals - tho the kids who won their age groups did get big trophies - only from under-16s down tho, apparently older ones don't need trophies rolling eyes also slight disappointment that our A team (I was in B) missed out on the team trophy by 6 points over the whole series Evil or Very Mad

so on to the Brits this weekend in Norwich, slightly scared as have about 4th worst points in the females, but hopefully can take some scalps as I managed in the all englands. Aiming for not last!

PS - well done to everyone for their weekend results...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm off to uni in Norwich shortly and plan to use the Norwich dry slope they got there, i know this is a tad bit off topic but is it a decent slope for an advanced skier?

The skiing drought is haunting me Sad

/hijack
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, Hi, I'm a bit of a fraud on this thread as only being a parent of two racers as opposed to the real thing. (The others put up with me).
Norwich is generally recognised as being one of the largest and best slopes in the country and has a very good race club. http://www.norfolkskiclub.com/ It is hosting the British Champs this coming weekend. http://www.britski.org/07britdschinv.pdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah, I am an instructor at the NSC and my daughters are members of the race team if you want any introductions just let me know. Asgsb, says above we probably have the best dry ski slope in the country so good choice of uni location.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, I see you waited until I'd tried a couple of sessions at Aldershot before breaking that news (if you'll excuse the pun) rolling eyes

But seriously, very sorry to hear that. How long before you'll be able to ski again?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, don't know yet...I guess I'll find out on Thurs. Still, I guess it had to happen some time - it's now nearly 2.5 years of pushing it pretty hard on the Dendix without anything too bad. Quick search on the net makes it sound like 4-6 weeks before you're likely to get an all clear Sad. I suppose it really depends how long they want to keep me in plaster - as it's the pot that puts the kibosh on anything. But if I get down to just strapping? In a few weeks though I guess we'll be back to non-gate slow(plough) technique stuff and if I promise not to fall on it...maybe shorten that by a couple?

So I'm sorry, I'll not be there Weds after all Sad Sad Sad .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN wrote:
So I'm sorry, I'll not be there Weds after all Sad Sad Sad .

Not to worry. Good luck for a quick recovery.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevinrhead, gsb, that build-up makes this even more galling! I'd just about got over my trepidation about entering, my thumb was definitely getting easier, and I was really looking forward to skiing the slope. What's more, the acceptance list contains just about every one of my Masters' targets over the next year or two (plus some I will never get anywhere near), most of whom I've never met, and several it seems come from your slope Wink - just the right motivation for a hard winter's training.

And before you suggest it there's no way I'm driving 400 miles (actually, now I remember, they say I'm not allowed to drive anyway) just to be a frustrated spectator Sad Sad

GRRRRR!!!

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, Sad
It's been great reading about yours and the other racy snowHead exploits.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, I know people who have raced in the British dry slope champs with a cast on a hand. The pot just goes a bit soft after a while where gates have hit it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, sorry to hear about the break but having seen it first hand it didnt look too good during the tele session and appeared a lot worse than a minor sprain. IMO give the race a miss, heal up first properly, there is always next time...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, thanks for that encouragement, but I'd not be able to get a glove, or my Forcefield armour over it. I may tend toward the reckless, but there's no way I'd race without either of those. And as I'd probably be propping up the field anyway, best leave it until next year.

skimottaret, I have had sprains and bruises that were not too dissimilar (and not all from dryslope skiing Wink ) - but I agree there was a fair bit of wishful thinking in the mix there too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Sorry to hear about the thumb. Certainly my main fear about dry slopeskiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN, Just caught up with the thread and sorry to hear the news. Sounds like more telemarking needed as therapy.
But seriously, I am hampered by a poorly reset thumb because I tried to use it whilst broken (Sandown Park about 25 years ago). Not worth the risk IMHO.
latest report
Having looked at the results from the weekend, congratulations to Miss gsb - reasonably good result on Sat, but on Sun she was officially 3rd fastest girl in the country Wink Very Happy Very Happy . I guess gsb's having a serious proud Dad moment, and the only reason he's not come on crowing about that is he's probably still taking intravenous painkillers to get over the hangover! And well done vivski; target achieved Wink , good consistent points in a difficult field, and it looks like you got a scalp or two as well? Again, my rivals all look as if they struggled quite a bit - so I probably also lost out little in the grand scheme of things.
latest report
GrahamN, I'm sure I don't know what you mean wink Very Happy Toofy Grin Laughing snowHead
Not a bad weekend allround and Mstr gsb also got his act together, 1st run Sat best he's ever skied and two v good runs on Sun on tougher courses against a very strong field even saw an improvement in seed points.
Daughter was also 1st in age group and won a cup almost the size of her that just happens to have been won in 1999 by a certain Miss Chemmy Alcott.
Sorry that's enough crowing for now. Toofy Grin

Congrats also to Vivski Very Happy
snow report
GrahamN, gsb, thanks for the congrats - and HUGE congrats to miss gsb for sunday - I imagine she was a little happier than on saturday!! Excellent result in a really strong field Very Happy I am still having a slightly mixed reaction - very pleased with my nice trophy from sunday - obviously not as impressive as those collected by miss gsb, but has pride of place on my bookcase! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and mildly amazed that i got my 2 lowest ever points scores at the weekend Very Happy - shame I can only use one Evil or Very Mad so that is good but I am really, really annoyed as on both days I made big mistakes at the bottom of the second run that cost about 1.5 secs on sat and about 1 sec on sunday - on saturday was looking at a possible 150 points score after run 1 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH... the second run curse strikes again! And many of the scalps I was on course to claim eluded me - and many around me lowered their points a long way...But ho hum, I am really pleased that I now know I can get my points down there if I can just get the consistency - and the courses claimed many casualties so I must be pleased that I got down them all! And first run on sat was quite good - could have attacked it more but no skids or slides so technically good! so some positives, some negatives, but overall a success Very Happy
snow conditions
GrahamN, We'll miss you Sunday then ? Hope the thumb continues to improve...
snow report
ski, no, I won't be there Sad . Big shame as just about everyone else in the SE is. Wasn't going to make any overall difference to the season result though as I could no longer catch up on 2nd and 4th can't catch me - but would have been nice to go for a first ever win with no other pressures Sad . Would have been really galling if I'd still been in with a chance of improving overall standing though. Current schedule is for the pot to come off on Thurs - but that may still be a bit ambitious, and Mr. Quack's probably drip-feeding me bad news. Because of the doubt I've had to drop out of the Tri-region too Sad Sad.
ski holidays
GrahamN, Bad luck... Look forward to your reports next year.

Anyway last week.... Confused Big turnout (200 entrants !). I arrived having forgotton my helmet - so no change in organisational ability ! The car did manage to get us there on time, which is a step up from the week before at Soton.

I've noticed that, certainly in training - and at some of the races this summer, I've been getting my best time on the first run, and sometimes in training ('cos I run the session) it is actually my first run Shocked . So this time, rather than spending 30 minutes bashing up and down the slope trying to feel relaxed, I had just one warm up run - felt OK, and left it at that.

First and second run felt good, just slow - because of overturning before the 'difficult' gate on the course - in this case a flush set just below a ridge. Attacked it more on the third run - go a couple of 10ths faster. So overall, although slow, at least I felt I skied alll three runs, and didn't ski out once snowHead

In the afternoon, played in the scratch team dual slalom. In this event teams are made up so that the sum of everyones' fastestl time in the morning is about the same across all teams. My team had me as the fastest, and oldest, and tallest member. So we had no chance snowHead We got 3 races, and three disqualifications snowHead - which happen when a team member does not complete the course correctly. Our last race had me trying to chase down a 5 gate lead, admittedly to a much slower skier, which was fun. snowHead

So that's it for me this summer. We'll see what happens next year. snowHead
latest report
anyone going to Brentwood on Sunday?
snow conditions
skimottaret, Yes although I will only be there as ski tech and breakfast chef for my daughters.
ski holidays
kevinrhead, I am just going to check out what a race is... what number will your daughter(s) be? if i keep a look out for them i am sure i could track you down to say hello..
latest report
skimottaret, Not sure as start list has not yet been issued. I have Georgina in CH2 and Camilla in JR1 and I will be with the Norfolk team just ask for Kevin.
snow report
kevinrhead, will stop by
ski holidays
GrahamN, What's the news?
snow conditions
easiski, thanks for asking: good - medical status report here.

Had a training session yesterday. Started out a bit tentative the first couple of runs, but then got into it, and finished up with the last half hour in the course not noticing any problem at all (other than having to be a little gentle when clipping in the Leki pole-straps). As I'm not now racing next week, we sort of started on the training programme for next year. I originally posted a bit of a muse on the plan for winter training here, but that would best sit with a restrospective on this season - and that would be jumping the gun a bit. The season's over for me, but there's more to come from the rest: vivski's at the 'Europeans' this weekend, and I guess Nick W at the ERSA race today, then Tri-region and ERSA championships next week.

ski It was really rough sitting out last week and looking at those results - from those times I should have been able to win my group fairly easily. Well done on getting three complete runs in Wink - good step in rebuilding your competitive position. Looks like Tim skied a blinder - anything to do with having finally got some skis less that 10 years old? Laughing I also see that despite your best efforts at failing to record a time all year Wink you've actually improved your "fastest skier" rating this year - well done. Mine also improved a fair bit - just not quite as much as I wanted. It's always a good idea not to think too hard about team make up, as it can get a bit depressing: in one race there I realised that I was older than the other four members of the team put together!

I see that Mr P's rival from Bromley also turned out. This could make things even more interesting next year if he starts racing at regional level, as he comes up from your group into ours then. He's currently faster than AP, but given that AP's even more competitive than me he's not going to take that lying down and that should spur him on - I've noticed he's already started speeding up. So I expect us to be yet more competitive next year. Although if Andy Robinson comes good on his threat to start racing again we may as well all give up Laughing .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Thanks - should have said congrats on your place in the league. Started winter training on Friday. Forgot my boots this time Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Huge congratulations to vivski - seniors European Champion!!!!!
And that 15x points score you'd been hunting all season too.

(To Misses RA and EG....."To finish first...first you have to finish")
snow report
Well done Vivski. I'm sure you know this, points now at 167.09 according to my calc . Very Happy I hope

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-10-07 8:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
GrahamN, gsb, thanks!!! Very Happy My maths agrees with gsbs, so with the last races of the season have finally made my sub-175 point target!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Quite unexpected I have to say, particularly my points yesterday as with Pontypool being so long and a certain Miss Baggio in the field I was quite prepared for this to be a poor points weekend..... on that note, thanks are due to the aforementioned Miss B for skiing out in run 2, otherwise points would have been much less impressive Twisted Evil

Afraid I cannot present a very comprehensive report on the weekend's racing in pontypool as it has all descended into a blur in the shock! But I shall try my best Very Happy .... Saturday was the "Welsh Cup" - basically a warm up for Sunday's Europeans. Both courses were easier than most of the field had anticipated and produced some very fast runs from the top racers. For once I carried off 2 runs with no disasters, first run felt very good, lacking a bit in attack and aggression (as usual!) but no skids (pleased with that as the matting at pontypool is not the best) and a reasonable time.... so on run 2 with nothing to lose I went for a more attacking run, which did result in me having a bit of a skid about halfway down the steep, but I managed not to lose too much speed so still not a bad time, not as good as I had hoped for but not the 2nd run disaster I often have! Beat a few people with better start numbers than me as well, which is always nice Very Happy pleasant surprise to pick up a 3rd place in the seniors as EG was unwell so DNS'd 2nd run. So we set off back to the tent on saturday feeling that the trip had been worthwhile, prize picked up, sub-200 points on long slope with JB in the field so a good day all round. Feeling that there was little hope of anything good happening on Sunday I spent most of saturday night carefully applying 3 coats of wax to my lovely new Salomon 3Vs which had arrived on Friday afternoon Very Happy as I had decided I couldn't resist trying them out on Sunday, well aware that racing on unfamiliar skis could backfire rather drastically!

Sunday's courses were more of a challenge - as befits a championship race I think.... first course was not too bad - key was being early and setting up well at the gates going over the ridge from the flat top section to the steep. After a few runs on the new skis in free practice I had decided to give them a go - not quite got the hang of them, but when I did drive them just right they felt great. Run felt pretty good - no big skids or slides again, attacked reasonably well, tho possibly not to the max as I didn't want the new planks to chuck me out of the course! After run 1 I found myself in the unusual position of lying in 3rd place but with another senior behind me.. a girl who apparently hasn't raced for a few years... so my usual tactic for run 2 of go for it and if you fall down get back up and finish - if it comes off you get a good time and hopefully good points, if not still get the place! This made me a bit more nervous than usual and felt even worse after inspecting course 2 - nasty! Top section was nice, really encouraged you to work the skis on the flat top section to get some speed and then spat you out of a verticale onto two massive offset gates coming over the ridge and onto the steep.... thi was the part that accounted for most of the 8 female and 21 male DNFs and DSQs on run 2! Not all, but most (including Miss B- to gasps of shock from the crowd, many of whom, like me, have never seen that happen before!). In the end I decided that the only way to ski the course was to attack it and try to keep a high line all the way down, the top section went fairly well and I got round the horrible entry to the steep OK, but then skidded at the 2nd or 3rd gate after that and to be honest all I remember of the rest of the run was that I was leaning far too far back and the best way to describe it is "a series of linked recoveries"! The new skis saved me a few times as when I got onto the tails they whipped me round into the next turn and as long as I didn't get thrown out the back seat I'd make the next gate!! Also sheer determination that I wasn't going to let a podium escape me on this occasion helped to keep me in the course when even the dedicated OH said he thought I was going to come out several times. So I was pleased to survive to the bottom but disappointed with the time, around 1.3 secs slower than run 1, until I realised that I had held my place in front of the other girl in my age group Very Happy and that most people were around 1 sec slower than the first run so actually the mistakes hadn't cost me too much in comparison to others. Then 2nd placed senior after run 1 fell at the bottom of the course and by the time she had picked herself up and finished she ended up behind myself and the other senior and finally EG straddled the 2nd last gate to leave me in 1st place.... I had to sit down for a while after that... Shocked so for the first time I found myself on top of the podium, and also for the first time I wasn't the last finisher in my age group as the podium was full! made even better when I calculated the points from the board Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

so a much better end to the season than I could have dreamed of - off to start winter training now to come out next year and try and get those points down even further. I have a much better idea now of the things I really need to work and focus on and given the progress I've made this year I hope to start getting those good runs that I've had a few of at the end of this season more consistent, in which case the points should tumble hopefully!
well done to all snowHeads who've been racing this year, seems like we have all made big improvements over the year! Look forward to hearing all about how everyone's winter training is progressing - going to miss the race reports Sad oh, and GrahamN, glad that thumb is getting better! Expect to see you out at lots of the races next year!
snow conditions
vivski, congratulations!
latest report
vivski, Congrats. !
latest report
gsb wrote:
points now at 167.09

Now girl, you can stop right there.....I'm on 166.58, so no more improvements please Wink . (Interesting to see what happens when the end of season rebasings for girls and boys are taken into account).
snow conditions
vivski, Brilliant result, congratulations snowHead
Miss B only managed about 3rd overall in the Hemel Champs last weekend; she must be slipping (literally). It was a good day overall and probably the last dry slope competition at Hemel unless they have a big send off charity race early in 2008. I ended up as Masters 3 champion, only because I was the only entrant Embarassed Overall performance was poor however when compared to my usual benchmarks.
But this was nothing compared to the dismal showing at Brentwood yesterday.
Wrong ski prep, bad technique and some sort of bug left me with my most depressing performance of the year, made even worse because I was beaten by Mrs. NickW Embarassed Embarassed I was at least 2 secs a run off my own expectations. So, it's back to the training slope for the next few months with that irritation as a driver.
The day was helped however by the rest of family NickW picking up medals and trophies. Daughter and wife were both third in group, son was fourth. They also presented the ERSA trophies for the summer league; daughter was third, Mrs NickW second and (pride of place) son walked off with the BG2 title (he slept with the trophy last night). Daughter also took the youngest skier title.
We are only helping out at Bromley next week unless there are any drop-outs in the ERSA team (in which case son will ski) and then it's off to Welwyn on Sunday for the final race of the year (final humiliation in my case). The ERSA champs are held like Grand Prix; 2 runs, 2 courses which given that I am always extra slow on the first run doesn't inspire me with confidence.
Finally, it was good to see skimottaret and meet kevinrhead on the day even if it only served to add to the embassment.
snow report
GrahamN, Laughing Laughing Laughing
rob@rar, ski, NickW thanks Embarassed getting all embarassed now..... Embarassed
And congrats to the NickW family at the weekend - sounds like a good trophy haul!
snow conditions
GrahamN, I think you are safe Toofy Grin JB has skied to zero this year, none of the males have BH is on 1.94 so maybe a 1-2 point reduction with only the Irish Champs to go.
ski holidays
So; last report for me on this thread for 2007.
Bromley on Saturday for the tri-regional was fun; son didn't quite make the ERSA team but got in plenty of skiing as a forerunner. I acted as humble race manager for one of the teams and general dogs body. ERSA pretty much cleaned up on the day.
Welwyn on Sunday was the final ERSA race of the year. The Champs are in Grand Prix format so there were plenty of skiers who did not finish (including son who was third in his group after round one). Given that my first runs have been very poor all year I was quite happy with my two attempts on what were slightly odd courses (banana gates seemed to be the order of the day). One rival skied out, I beat my training partner (finally Very Happy ) and only missed deadly Doug by a third of a second overall (got him on the second course but missed out on the first).
In the masters dual slalom in the afternoon we finished third by beating Brentwood in a ski-off but I lost to Ron C by a couple of ski lengths (he had been skiing better than Doug and me all day but I got a poor start and was trying to get back all the way down rather than just concentrating on purely skiing the course rolling eyes )
So, a reasonable finish to my first year (and a lot better than last week rolling eyes ). Now comes 6 months of practice; some snow, some plastic, some god knows where depending upon when Hemel finally closes.
Oh, and I appear to have been made Vice Chairman of ERSA for next year (although I have no idea what that means as yet Puzzled )
ski holidays
Hi everyone here, I have never thought about racing again till now, did it when i was young and thought i would like to have another go now that i am a Veteran. Does anyone know how to get started in racing at this level. I was not ranked sice i was a junior so my guess is i must start from the bottom again. Is it possible to start again? Oh yes and i am only thinking about on the snow, not dry slopes they hurt to much!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy