Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Racing - 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Late starter, glad you enjoyed it, and congrats on your first snowHead meeting. I probably say you too then, as we were the next door gazebo!

Regarding the technical level of the course.
It was certainly the most technically demanding course I've skied, but then that's sort of to be expected. We had one of a very similar pattern for the LSERSA race at Aldershot, but with only one awkward gate rather than a combination of three - which makes it much easier. Our best guy, who skis mostly at this level (and the GP/championships levels as well) reckoned it was about middling - not particularly easy, but nothing too difficult either. It was pretty straightforward - with essentially one crucial corner defining how it needed to be skied, with everything else following on from that. Just a shame for me, and several others, that we never worked out that solution. Nearly all the skiouts were either at that corner, or some managed to stave off the inevitable for a couple of gates more before losing it.

Of the 101 male starters (excluding the minis) 19 failed to get a place, and 6 of the 49 female starters failed to complete - so the male failure rate was approaching twice that of the females. Looking at the distribution of those males, 1 was in the top 10 in the country another 3 in the top 50 (all of whom would have been expected to be in the top 15 finishers), 7 more between there and the normal level of ski and myself, with the remaining 6 at the newcomers' end. Without checking results of other races, I can't tell whether that's abnormal or not. I do think though that it shows it was a pretty good test - providing a definite challenge for the top end, and allowing their differences to show up, but also allowing some competition for the less able. Those "top 50 guys" were really going for it, and needed to to get/retain a decent placing. The top two were clearly in a technical class of their own, and to me there was another clear divider after the next 16 or so. Anyone who got below 11 seconds was clearly technically very good. A less challenging course would have provided discrimination essentially on how quickly they could accelerate and keep/generate speed through the course, as opposed to this one which did a bit of that, but majored on testing how well you could get around those central three turns.

Looking at some of the results though, it looks to me as if there was a definite advantage to being small. The points for most of the adults and later teenagers I've looked at showed them 20-30 points higher than their listed seed points (as I mentioned on the previous page, there's a list of "seed points" that give you a measure of how far you are behind effectively the British champion, low is good). The ones that seemed to match or (very rarely) beat their seed points were basically the Childrens or Junior categories. As the general view is that you need weight for straight courses, and light wiry types for turny technical courses, that would say to me that this was quite a technical course. (There is of course an alternative explanation, in that the younger ones are going to be those that are improving fastest).

Now, it's all gsb's fault I was there at all - he sold it to me as a confidence-building "rehearsal" for the upcoming LSERSA race. I guess we could say on that basis it's not 100% successful Laughing Laughing : the Masters' representation there was almost identical to the regular turnout for LSERSA, and all the rest of them managed to complete the course Sad , although not necessarily as they would have liked. However the rebuillding started with a solo session yesterday, at which I got to try out my new skis....ME LIKE THEM Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . Took a couple of runs to get where the balance point was, but then the first run down a 1 mat wide corridor I got two turns more in than I've ever managed before. They have a much better grip and clearly want to turn more - but they do like throwing you onto your tail if you don't concentrate. After a few switches between the new and old skis I essentially repeated the pattern of Sunday's course, found the source of the problem I'd been having and made a bit of progress fixing it.

At the end of the session I went back to the old skis and tried again. First turn.....they slid out and I hit the deck. Mmm, I'm now regretting not having the guts to try them out on Sunday; they could have made a big difference, but it would have been a very high-risk strategy Wink .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, As a big lardy, I love the rationalisation and shall use this excuse when I see my "targets" next as with one exception they were all small and light.
What were the new skis. Obviously a wonder tool so I need full details wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Late starter, Welcome to the racing club. Get your skis on next time; join Hemel and have a go. We will be at all the remaining ERSA races. Lucy can advise. These are much more relaxed events although I don't think the CN is particularly intense. We were all a bit shattered by the end of it though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Actually, upon reflection, I was very disappointed with my performance Sad . I had decided to give it a go on the first run as in the earlier two races (on easy courses as I now know) I had wasted the run by being overly cautious. Of course this was a big mistake because all I achieved was a loss of confidence on the remaining runs and above all I think this is what determines the end result for me at this stage.
So on Sunday I am going back to the steady improvement approach and I will leave the gradual accumulation of experience and training improvement to deal with the overall times. My coach has said that you train to race and race to see how your training is going. I am just beginning to understand what he meant Shocked
By the way, this is post number 100 so I am slowly getting into snowHead as well
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick W, Yes - in order to go fast your first have to ski well, and secondly have to take a good line. trying to go fast can only come after that, Very Happy Very Happy Keep trying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN,

Quote:
Now, it's all gsb's fault I was there at all - he sold it to me as a confidence-building "rehearsal" for the upcoming LSERSA race. I guess we could say on that basis it's not 100% successful :

Yes, but now at the LSERSA race you have all this knowledge of the slope to fall back on. If Sally B is setting the course maybe we could get her to set a similar one. Madeye-Smiley

On another note, thank you all the snowHead 's who took part and supported Wycombe Phoenix with their 1st Club National
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick W wrote:
What were the new skis. Obviously a wonder tool so I need full details wink
You should be able to work it out from the clues I've already dropped Wink .

In no way should you feel bad about Sunday as it was a big step up at your experience level - and we did sort of bully you into it Wink . I think I would have made a very similar job this time last year. Your coach's mantra's a good one.

gsb - yes and the bad memories to freeze those muscles at just the wrong time Shocked Laughing ! Fortunately, I think it's Tom O setting for most of the LSERSA this year - which so far has seemed to suit me a little better. Oh and congrats on your daughter's excellent result - good seed points improvement there, particularly at those stratospheric levels!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, together with saturdays result at Ipswich she had a great weekend. Off to Sunderland on friday
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick W, Thanks for the encouragement. Not yet at the point of having my own skis, and looking at the video from megemums birthday bash, the speed I thought I was getting is not quite enough yet... Shocked but will keep practising and if Lucy is going to any localish races will try and get there to support all the snowHead as well
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gsb, I will pop to Sunderland on Sunday - what time do things kick off ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, how do you prepare for all time ski race number four having had a rough time at number three. You go on an introductory course on how to telemark obviously rolling eyes
At least that is my latest excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Bassingbourn is not your typical dry ski slope; it's very short and its a hill but apart from that its all a bit different. You need your passport to get into an army base for starters. You then drive for a couple of miles through the assault course and the tank range (and the golf course) until you get to the sewage works. You are then let into the compound and are locked in. After all that you get to go skiing.
This was summer league race three in ERSA's series. Son (9) got back to winning ways and has started cross-blocking to very good effect (because unlike me he is early to the gates). Daughter (5) is now getting used to the idea of courses with double poles and breezed down to take third place. Mrs NickW also won her group (well, she was the only one in it!!) and skied very well I thought.
As for me I set off on the first run on some Volkl 5 stars having tried them out on the Friday before and instantly regretted it. The course was 11 gates fitted into a very short space and the rapidity of turn left me getting later and later for each gate until I hooked the last pole and fell head first over the line for my first DSQ. No real damage done but out came the trusty Atomics C11.16 for the next runs. Some steady improvement in the last two runs but I still failed to get the 3 run progression (start with a good one and then get better) that I am looking for. Overall a good day out and the dual slalom in the afternoon was fun (if brief).
Off to Ipswich this Sunday for round 4. It's a much longer slope apparently (it was the one we missed last year) which should be good for the learning curve.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick W, Well done snowHead Don't be so hard on yourself wink Stick plants can help delay the onset of lateness snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampbus, Only just seen your post, a date for your diary 1st & 2nd Sept the 'All England Championships' at Sunderland

Absolute nighmare journey up there on Friday 7 1/2 hours normally just over 4hrs. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, Sorry to hear that especially as it looked like your daughter didn't have the best of weekends. Any views on the Ipswich slope by the way?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick W, You're right, unfortunately the exact opposite of the previous weekend. One run out of five, really makes you appreciate the good days. Her little brother (bigger) managed to complete them all but a bit short of improving seed points.

It's good to have Ipswich homologated for CN's and it is very hopeful that it will also host a GP next year. It's a great slope for spectating, (they had a cake stall Toofy Grin ) from memory about 15/16 gates.

I did not hear any bad comments about the slope either this or last year.

Following from my daughter

I really like Ipswich, its a bit odd to ski your 1st run down with the rollers and does take some getting used to.
snow report
gsb, Thanks KB. I just love rollers Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Hi all Very Happy I am new to snowHead and have just spent much of my day at work reading through the forums to catch up! Thought I'd post in here first as I am doing my first year on the dryslope circuit, so probly see a lot of you around at races, even if I didn't know who you were Very Happy I'm relatively easy to spot - only senior female right at the back of the field when the others are all in the top 10 rolling eyes I am now actually looking forward to turning 30 in a few years so I can get into the masters where at least I will be more competitive.... for now I am just trying to concentrate on getting the points down, which has stalled a bit recently as I hit the problem that I notice some others on here have that the skiing feels technically better but the speed is distinctily lacking! But I'm sure I'll get there eventually...
gsb, did your mammoth journey to sunderland include getting caught in the horrendous traffic jam on the A1 (or was it the A1M at that point?) on Friday night?? darn flooding......

anyways, good luck to everyone at all the upcoming races!
ski holidays
Welcome vivski, Yes it did, oh what fun. I expect you will waste as many hours on here as the rest of us. I just looked at the results list, so I will know who you are to say hello in the future.
snow report
Hi gsb, , yes, if today is anything to go by I shall waste lots of time on here! No doubt I will see you at some races in the near future Very Happy
snow conditions
Welcome, vivski. Good to see someone from the frozen norf on here - it's all a bit southern biassed so far. I also see jonesa signed up recently, and I'm sort of surprised we never hear anything from rjs on this thread either, who also lists himself as a Manc - so shake 'em up for us!
latest report
GrahamN, I don't ski on plastic.
latest report
Shame Wink (but I guess you've moved on to bigger and better things)
ski holidays
GrahamN, Castleford is smaller than Rossendale, but it is a lot better.
snow report
Thanks GrahamN, always happy to represent the norf Very Happy I did notice that most people seemed to be based dahn saaf (as I have called it since my time in Southampton).... I must try to get some more of the Rossendale lot on here Smile Admittedly it's not the best slope in the world - no grip, very old matting and now a horrendous eyesore of a quarterpipe on one side of the slope Evil or Very Mad (all of which combined led to the All Englands being moved to Sunderland) but it is much nearer than castleford and cheaper so I am sticking to my plastic skiing for now! And I do love the racing - you have to to take it up at this age and be beaten by all the little kids! rolling eyes Looking forward to trying out the Chill Factore when it opens tho Very Happy
ski holidays
vivski wrote:
..you have to to take it up at this age and be beaten by all the little kids! rolling eyes
...absolutely, and even more so when (like Nick W and I) we have 20+ years on you - although on the whole the age-group competition is not quite such a stretch ahead. It's a devil of a job though finding outriggers for the Zimmer frames! Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I guess that must be a challenge! I'm really impressed that so many people do take the sport up when they're older - until I started I was really worried that I would be the only person skiing who hadn't been racing since they were a kid! Certainly seems worthwhile if you have kids that are taking part - much more fun to join in than just to watch and be the ski technician Very Happy My boyfriend is now deciding he should give it a go cos he is getting a bit bored traipsing around the country watching me race and dealing with the tantrums when it all goes wrong Blush

Is a bit annoying being totally uncompetitive in my age group, but we all have to start somewhere so just focusing on getting those points down (oh, and finishing 2 runs of a grand prix would be nice! rolling eyes ) Look forward to hopefully meeting some of the other snowHeads at some point on the tour - despite the north south divide!
snow report
Hi all Smile I'm new to Smile and was nosing around and came across this thread. My son is in his first summer race league having joined Hemel a few months back so I now traipse around eastern region offering encouragement, sandwiches and lucozade.

He now has 3 races under his belt, a good competitive start at his home slope, followed by a bit of a shock at Welwyn. He’d never skied on another slope and I think the shorter slope threw him a bit, he was a bit disappointed with his times… It was a rough day for me also being the wettest day since the days of the great flood.

He was back on track last weekend at Bassingborn with a steady improvement on every run. He is having a great time and told me that he now wants to get snowsports registration so that he can compete in CN’s (Thanks to this thread I now know what they are!)

Having visited 3 race meets now I must say that the number of competitors and standard of organisation is really impressive. I'm looking forward to Ipswich this w/e.

Enjoyed reading your posts( not too busy at work !) and I’ve got loads of questions but I’ll have a look around to try and find the answers and pop back from time to time.
snow report
carrosa, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carrosa, Welcome to snowHead and to Hemel. Would your son have initials TC by any chance (CH2). If so, he skis with my son on a Monday and Friday. Anyway, see you Friday or on Sunday at Ipswich.
ski holidays
vivski wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I guess that must be a challenge! I'm really impressed that so many people do take the sport up when they're older - until I started I was really worried that I would be the only person skiing who hadn't been racing since they were a kid! Certainly seems worthwhile if you have kids that are taking part - much more fun to join in than just to watch and be the ski technician Very Happy My boyfriend is now deciding he should give it a go cos he is getting a bit bored traipsing around the country watching me race and dealing with the tantrums when it all goes wrong Blush

Is a bit annoying being totally uncompetitive in my age group, but we all have to start somewhere so just focusing on getting those points down (oh, and finishing 2 runs of a grand prix would be nice! rolling eyes ) Look forward to hopefully meeting some of the other snowHeads at some point on the tour - despite the north south divide!

Sums me up to a tee as I think I must be the senior "racer" in these parts Embarassed
Welcome to snowHead I would have posted earlier but I've just been up oop norf (if Harrogate counts which I doubt) for a few days on business.
snow conditions
vivski, I just signed up for the Gloucester CN (7th July) today. Are you going to be there? or is it a bit too far to drag the long suffering bf? (BTW, entries close tomorrow). I think one of the reasons we seem to be a bit southern biassed here is that we have very thriving regional competitions to give us a easy way in prior to the CN level. Do you have anything similar oop north? We get 5-6 races per summer in each region - and my club's in two regions so we get 11 regional races a year Shocked . One of our guys at the Welwyn CN commented that that felt a bit like a cup tie, whereas the Regionals feel very much like the Championship - and that certainly struck a chord with me (despite having no interest in footie at all).

And carrosa, welcome to the highly-adictive madhouse.
ski holidays
GrahamN, I'm not doing the gloucester CN - a few reasons really, mainly we have a regional race at rossendale on the sunday and also we are going to Gloucester the following weekend for the last round of Celtic cup so seemed a long trek for one day if we have to do it the next weekend as well! Sad as you can tell from that we do have regional races oop norf as well - there is a summer race league at rossendale with 5 races, one every month from May to September - 2 timed runs on the same course in the morning and then put into groups of 4 based on times for head to head races in the afternoon - from what I know of the southern regional races I think it's quite similar? Is a bit hit and miss how many of the top racers from the region turn up, depending on what national races are on the same weekend, but is really meant to be a great opportunity for young kids to get involved in racing before stepping up to the SSE races and is great fun Very Happy (unless like last month a huge entry and timing issues mean it doesn't finish till 6pm!) Also in the winter Sheffield Sharks run a "frostbite" series of 4 races between November and April which is run the same way as the rossendale league. I think there are also races run by stoke ski club over the summer but haven't done any of those as between the SSE races and the rossendale league any days off that come up are quite welcome! (there's never a whole weekend!)

Nick W, thanks for the welcome, I think Harrogate just about counts as norf..... it's cold enough in December anyway!
snow report
GrahamN, You still coming to Welwyn then ? - good on you ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Nick W, TC he is. I'll be there tonight on my bike if it isn't raining!, See you there.
ski holidays
Another summer race day and another monsoon rolling eyes Yesterday was race number five for me and our first visit to the land of the Vikings (Ipswich).
Nice place but very wet. Met carrosa for the briefest of moments. Sorry but with three kids to look after (my son and two of his mates) as well as concentrating on my own attempts at racing the day just seemed to disappear. Hope you enjoyed it. The boys looked good in the child team in the afternoon.
As gsb's daughter says, Ipswich takes a bit of getting used to with a lot of gradient changes over the rollers. Threw me completely on the course inspection and the first run but they were infact much less of an issue than I was expecting. So run 1 was slow and steady but at least I could feel where I could improve. Run 2 was a lot better and run 3 finally felt like a training run at Hemel in that I was pushing for more speed all the way down. Overall an improvement of nearly 2.5 secs over the three runs.
Still last in group, but the two immediately above me were looking a bit more concerned than they have done so far this year; roll on Norwich in three weeks.
Son held up the family honour with another win in BG2 (his third of the year).
A good day all told and not as far off the beaten track as you might think. Definitely worth a CN visit next season (GrahamN & ski??)

One question for my fellow racers and probably a reflection on my race focus Embarassed do you listen to the commentator as you ski down. Yesterday on run two the chap talking (who I know as he is the Hemel head of race) mentioned that I was one of the really old skiers on the circuit Laughing so I waved in a Harvey Smith sort of way and he laughed his way through the rest of the commentary. Afterwards he was mortified at the thought that he had put me off and my training partner gave me a stiff talking to about concentration, focus etc. She hates being talked to once near the start gate and says she is oblivious to what is going on once she sets off.
ski holidays
Nick W, sounds like you had quite a successful weekend! I was in Pontypool on Saturday for round 3 of the Celtic Cup series - definitely some sort of record for longest walk from the carpark to the slope! The support crew (or boyfriend as he is also known!) was not amused after we had trekked up once heavily laden with gear and then decided it probably would rain so trekked down and up again to fetch the gazebo etc Embarassed but it was worth it in the end as there were a few heavy rain showers - tho overall weather was better than expected and kindly rained while I was safely under the gazebo and not out on the slope Very Happy maybe next time we will invest in a trolley like so many others!

Was quite pleased overall - didn't like the slope in practice - it is very long and the top section is really flat, so not good when you start as poorly as me! Also celtic cup is run like a grand prix with 2 runs on 2 different courses so no chance for time progression like in CNs - and I have managed to ski out on the 2nd run of my last 2 GPs so was a bit worried about a jinx developing! But I managed to finish both runs Very Happy definitely feeling an improvement in my technique now, just need to attack a bit more to try and improve the speed and times - getting quite cross with myself at the bottom as I think "that was easier than I thought it would be, should have gone faster"! rolling eyes I thought that the points would be dismal as usually on the longer slopes the top girls just get too much time advantage (especially when they can work the skis so much better on the flat at the top and start much more aggressively) but I managed to get about 204 including penalty - not my best result but not bad considering the slope.

In the afternoon after the slalom was finished there was a GS that was really for fun and doesn't count for seed points but does count for overall Celtic cup series points - I have only ever done GS on plastic twice and that was years ago at uni when I had done no race training - so didn't really know what to expect and basically wasn't brave enough!! Held back too much and again got to the bottom thinking that was dead easy, could have pushed harder - apparently it was entertaining for those watching who knew me as they expected me not to tuck at all - they were very impressed as I came into view in a tuck but then gradually stood up as I got a bit nervous! Embarassed

no skiing on sunday as we went to the motoGP at Donington Very Happy did get quite wet but at least it makes for exciting racing - and lots of crashes!

Finally I get round to answering your question Nick W, I find that sometimes I am totally unaware of the commentary but sometimes I do hear what they are saying and find it a bit offputting! I don't know if this is due to my concentration being a bit variable or just that at some slopes it is louder depending on the placement of speakers etc! Puzzled Like your training partner I hate to talk to anyone once I am in the queue for the start and never let anyone put my skis into the gate for me as so many others do as I just find it very distracting having anyone around - the bf comes up to the top usually and helps with putting various slippy start aids on the skis and I find that helps me to keep relatively calm and not panic, but once I get called to the queue he says good luck and heads off to watch and let me get focused (and panic!) rolling eyes
ski holidays
Talking of Pontypool, which indeed has amonster walk from the car park - here's a pic of the slope about 25 years ago at a guess. I liked the slope a lot, but I understand that it's now been extended - it was quite long last time I was there.
ski holidays
vivski, What it is to be young and care free and be able to lap the country at will. Not sure I fancy the petrol bills though.
The thing about focus is that whilst I don't seem to Embarassed I don't feel nervous either. This may be because I am cr*p at slalom but I don't think its that.
ski holidays
Nick W, the petrol bills are quite scary and along with race entry fees and accommodation (even if it is just camping) are gradually pushing me further into my overdraft Shocked sadly I seem unable to stop myself from entering races! At least there aren't any in August so might recover a bit then! Very Happy I'm sure it's a good thing you don't get too nervous - I do think it can be counter productive! I am working on turning nerves into determination - I will beat the course, the course will not beat me (literally or figuratively Very Happy ) hope that will help me be more aggressive as well

easiski, was the tree in the middle of the slope back then? Also makes life a bit interesting for those getting out of shape near the bottom! Smile
snow report
vivski, Oh yes - the tree - great fun!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy